Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:34 pm
Posts: 621
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:52 pm 
 

I just did and they are pretty fucking sick, nothing like Revenge sadly. Doesn't change the fact that I definitely recommend them to anyone with the slightest interest in hardcore though!

Top
 Profile  
the_raytownian
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:09 am
Posts: 2296
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:06 pm 
 

I dunno off the top of my head if ALL these bands are from Boston, and they are pretty obvious suggestions because that's all I've got, but I suppose they are worth a try:

Void (The split with The Faith is ridic)
Siege (everybody knows Siege)
Negative Approach
Slapshot
Gang Green

I'm sure they've all come up in this thread at least once before, but that's the only 80's Boston/Boston-esque HC I can think of.
_________________
Disgrace to the corpse of Metal Archives!
Discogs | Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:59 pm
Posts: 845
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:54 pm 
 

Void is one of my favorite hc punk bands ever. Flex Your Head kind of changed my life. NA is from Detroit and they aren't really similar to Jerry's Kid's.

Definitely heard all those bands before.
_________________
Western NY Metal Scene Facebook page.
Controlled by Fear. Grindcore. Split with Special Buddy Discount out now.

Top
 Profile  
the_raytownian
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:09 am
Posts: 2296
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:54 am 
 

I didn't know NA were from D town... weird. I always associate them with BHC for some reason.

Also obvious, but I hadn't thought to mention the F.U.'s before. That's all I can think of that I am familiar with, though.
_________________
Disgrace to the corpse of Metal Archives!
Discogs | Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1239
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:14 am 
 

Looking for a specific brand of NYHC. No madball, no sick of it all, nothing like that. I also know of Agnostic front, leeway, murphy's law,underdog, cro-mags, Bio-Hazard, and not looking for that.

I'm looking for pissed off, tough guy, dirty 80's new york hardcore with some metal influence. Shorter songs the better.

Sheer Terror's "Just Can't Hate Enough" is near perfect, something exactly like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsISaR1SKus

I also like Killing Time's Brightside... pretty similar.

Killing Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d2i3hqxTaM
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
Hellrisen
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:48 pm
Posts: 542
Location: thE ocEAN
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:17 am 
 

FleshMonolith wrote:
Looking for a specific brand of NYHC. No madball, no sick of it all, nothing like that. I also know of Agnostic front, leeway, murphy's law,underdog, cro-mags, Bio-Hazard, and not looking for that.

I'm looking for pissed off, tough guy, dirty 80's new york hardcore with some metal influence. Shorter songs the better.

Sheer Terror's "Just Can't Hate Enough" is near perfect, something exactly like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsISaR1SKus

I also like Killing Time's Brightside... pretty similar.

Killing Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d2i3hqxTaM


Check out Breakdown, I'd say that they are pretty similar to Killing Time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orGqXgOe9Ic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM7G61itous
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QshihTPP2tM
_________________
Quote:
You've got crabs, Ass-Face!

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1239
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:16 pm 
 

Hellrisen wrote:



Not too bad, but just not angry enough. and mid-paced nyhc=snoozefest. thanks though, i'll look into more of their stuff.
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
Yayattasa
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:49 am
Posts: 583
Location: Brazil
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:11 pm 
 

I'm looking for the most aggressive forms of Punk/Hardcore. I want to do some comparisson with metal, but that's another story.
Please stay on pure (or almost pure) HC/Punk genres. What I'm looking for probably fits with Thrashcore/Fastcore, Powerviolence, early Grindcore or Crust Punk me thinks.
Thanks ;)

~~~
Almost forgot, the most aggressive I've found yet is XBRAINIAX
~~~
I'm listening to some Fastcore: Y, Lack of Interest and Infest right now.
Also listened to No Comply (metal-ifluenced according to Wikipedia) and Left in Ruins
Listening to those, I suppose it can be way more aggressive, will start looking at some more Poweviolence.

Keeping on the subject, would you say this fits with the most aggressive crust punk: Skaven - Flowers of Flesh and Blood, Severed ?
_________________
inhumanist wrote:
Arkhane wrote:
Damn, I thought this thread was headed for closure. Good save, whoever saved it but I'm too lazy to scroll up right now.

oh my god people disagreed on something for several pages stop the presses

Top
 Profile  
Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 8856
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:09 pm 
 

Anything similar to Xibalba - Hasta La Muerte? This album really kicked my ass, basically slowed down doomy hardcore, I wouldn't mind having death metal elements too, something like Mammoth Grinder is cool.
_________________
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
JESUS CRUST, I didn't know this was the goddamn pizza inquisition.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Last.fm
Halberd (doom/death)

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1239
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:55 pm 
 

Metantoine wrote:
Anything similar to Xibalba - Hasta La Muerte? This album really kicked my ass, basically slowed down doomy hardcore, I wouldn't mind having death metal elements too, something like Mammoth Grinder is cool.


this has come up a few times. Many bands have been doing what Xibalba started doing, and much better (i think that thing's way too over produced) although maybe not as slow... You mentioned Mammoth Grinder, so I assume you know about Hatred Surge and their foray into sludge, if not, check out everything since their split with Mammoth Grinder.

Check out...

Weekend Nachos - Unforgivable
Benchmark for downtuned hc/pv that wants to be sludge. Love this album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIho8UFtLzY

Mind Eraser- The Prodigal Son Brings Death

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZdpWU81iwU

Closure's split with Moloch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsFRqDwCONs

Nails- Unsilent Death

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Gm3r4Gsfo

You'd probably like Gaza

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3xFXkHK74Y

Not exactly what you want, but you might dig...

Negative Standards
Dark, heavy as shit hardcore with nods to black metal and Dystopia

http://negativestandards.bandcamp.com/album/i-v
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 8856
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:15 pm 
 

I'm familiar with Weekend Nachos and Nails and heard of Gaza, thanks for these other suggestions, I'll check them out.

Also, I like the production of Xibalba, I don't mind clean and modern production, I kinda prefer that over really dirty/lo fi prod anyway.
_________________
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
JESUS CRUST, I didn't know this was the goddamn pizza inquisition.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Last.fm
Halberd (doom/death)

Top
 Profile  
Numerator_41
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:06 am
Posts: 1139
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:28 pm 
 

Must people I know that are into Xibalba also like Disembodied. Check out the Heretic album. Super heavy 90's metalcore.
_________________
SatanSmells wrote:
FUKK YOU WHO FUKKING KARES

Top
 Profile  
Yayattasa
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:49 am
Posts: 583
Location: Brazil
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:39 pm 
 

Looking a bit, it seems Grindcore/PVorFastcore is the most aggressive form of Punk music. I'm not really bothered by the lack of lyrics of most songs, but it still feels 'metal'ish to me.
_________________
inhumanist wrote:
Arkhane wrote:
Damn, I thought this thread was headed for closure. Good save, whoever saved it but I'm too lazy to scroll up right now.

oh my god people disagreed on something for several pages stop the presses

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1239
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:14 pm 
 

Metantoine wrote:
I'm familiar with Weekend Nachos and Nails and heard of Gaza, thanks for these other suggestions, I'll check them out.

Also, I like the production of Xibalba, I don't mind clean and modern production, I kinda prefer that over really dirty/lo fi prod anyway.



you might also dig Seven Sisters of Sleep. They're a sludge band for sure, but have a similar production and a bit of hardcore flavor to them. Their label, A389 have a lot of metallic hardcore... you'd do well to search their catalog
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:16 pm
Posts: 2120
Location: Hotlanta, USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:55 pm 
 

FleshMonolith wrote:
Their label, A389 have a lot of metallic hardcore... you'd do well to search their catalog

http://a389recordings.bandcamp.com/
_________________
SPEWTILATOR - Play Fast // Smoke Grass
NEW 'Goathrower' EP out Feb 14th on Boris Records!
'Ancient Rites of Getting Conjured' split CS w/ Coffin Dust out on Headsplit Rekords!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Top
 Profile  
Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:48 pm
Posts: 568
Location: Living in the cosmic nod
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:21 pm 
 

Metantoine wrote:
Anything similar to Xibalba - Hasta La Muerte? This album really kicked my ass, basically slowed down doomy hardcore, I wouldn't mind having death metal elements too, something like Mammoth Grinder is cool.


Check out Gasmask

Top
 Profile  
analog_winter
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:34 pm
Posts: 1160
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:04 pm 
 

Can anyone rec me any melodic hardcore in the vein of Tragedy's Vengeance?
_________________
discogs
iAm wrote:
Oh god.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Top
 Profile  
TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:34 pm
Posts: 590
Location: In your basement
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:07 am 
 

Ok so I'm looking for some take no prisoners fastcore, any that have a major focus on (still hyper-high speed) melody will get extra points, but as little PV influence as possible, I guess technically I'm looking for some sort of crossover maybe? but for the love of baloff keep it at least up to speed with DRI's debut, I'm sick of these crossover bands that trade adrenaline for... whatever the fuck it is they do, that slow shit that your supposed to mosh to I guess? fuck it, it sucks. FASTcore, not "Sometimes we play fast, but most of the time we are really boring-core"


And thank you.
_________________
The Book Of Wayne Another shitty bedroom project

Top
 Profile  
Xithyl
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:51 pm
Posts: 15
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:40 pm 
 

analog_winter wrote:
Can anyone rec me any melodic hardcore in the vein of Tragedy's Vengeance?

From Ashes Rise
Martyrdöd
Victims
Wolfbrigade
His Hero Is Gone

For some newer stuff, try Protestant, Masakari, Alpinist and Baptists.

Top
 Profile  
dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:16 pm
Posts: 2120
Location: Hotlanta, USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:14 am 
 

Xithyl wrote:
analog_winter wrote:
Can anyone rec me any melodic hardcore in the vein of Tragedy's Vengeance?

From Ashes Rise
Martyrdöd
Victims
Wolfbrigade
His Hero Is Gone

For some newer stuff, try Protestant, Masakari, Alpinist and Baptists.

Also check out In Ruins
http://www.reverbnation.com/inruinsga
_________________
SPEWTILATOR - Play Fast // Smoke Grass
NEW 'Goathrower' EP out Feb 14th on Boris Records!
'Ancient Rites of Getting Conjured' split CS w/ Coffin Dust out on Headsplit Rekords!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Top
 Profile  
analog_winter
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:34 pm
Posts: 1160
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:59 pm 
 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Xithyl wrote:
From Ashes Rise
Martyrdöd
Victims
Wolfbrigade
His Hero Is Gone

For some newer stuff, try Protestant, Masakari, Alpinist and Baptists.

Also check out In Ruins
http://www.reverbnation.com/inruinsga


Already know of His Hero is Gone, great band. Will check out all these other recommendations, thanks!
_________________
discogs
iAm wrote:
Oh god.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Top
 Profile  
suleiman
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:51 am
Posts: 459
Location: Pakistan
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:46 am 
 

I have heard a fair share of crust/hardcore, but have yet to hear any bands similar to HHIG. Any newer bands that are in a similar vein....and please dont say Tragedy coz they arent.

Also, newer bands similar to Morser, Acme or Systral ?

Top
 Profile  
xGeneralSureMan
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:31 am
Posts: 20
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:31 pm 
 

I'm looking for a band that plays pop punk at hardcore-like tempos. Something really fast and aggressive, but also upbeat.

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1239
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:35 pm 
 

suleiman wrote:
I have heard a fair share of crust/hardcore, but have yet to hear any bands similar to HHIG. Any newer bands that are in a similar vein....and please dont say Tragedy coz they arent.



Muga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk3suCCghZU

ABC Weapons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkmOnebZ4hw
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:29 pm
Posts: 1497
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:03 am 
 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
FleshMonolith wrote:
Their label, A389 have a lot of metallic hardcore... you'd do well to search their catalog

http://a389recordings.bandcamp.com/




:o That output is nothing short of amazing. I just bought a shit load of their stuff. Any other labels doing the metallic HC thing like the above?

Cheers for the link :bow:
_________________
Resident Speedmetal, and Metalpunk warrior
R.I.P Keith Deen, Vocalist for the almighty Holy Terror.

Top
 Profile  
suleiman
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:51 am
Posts: 459
Location: Pakistan
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:45 am 
 

FleshMonolith wrote:
suleiman wrote:
I have heard a fair share of crust/hardcore, but have yet to hear any bands similar to HHIG. Any newer bands that are in a similar vein....and please dont say Tragedy coz they arent.



Muga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk3suCCghZU

ABC Weapons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkmOnebZ4hw



both are great and new to me. ABC Weapons is defintiely better (and closer to HHIG in places) but I need to hear more Muga to say anything about them.

But they are missing the ugly sludgy/grind element and the production (including that amamzing bass tone) that made HHIG such a treat.

thnax again fort the recs.

Top
 Profile  
GravityLapse
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:54 pm
Posts: 179
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:35 am 
 

FleshMonolith wrote:
Looking for a specific brand of NYHC. No madball, no sick of it all, nothing like that. I also know of Agnostic front, leeway, murphy's law,underdog, cro-mags, Bio-Hazard, and not looking for that.

I'm looking for pissed off, tough guy, dirty 80's new york hardcore with some metal influence. Shorter songs the better.

Sheer Terror's "Just Can't Hate Enough" is near perfect, something exactly like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsISaR1SKus

I also like Killing Time's Brightside... pretty similar.

Killing Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d2i3hqxTaM


Not sure if this is exactly along the right lines, but maybe Outburst?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abBy8Rvogcs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0x5MTqQqv0

Well regardless, I'm interested in any recs for this as well.

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1239
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:29 pm 
 

GravityLapse wrote:
FleshMonolith wrote:
Looking for a specific brand of NYHC. No madball, no sick of it all, nothing like that. I also know of Agnostic front, leeway, murphy's law,underdog, cro-mags, Bio-Hazard, and not looking for that.

I'm looking for pissed off, tough guy, dirty 80's new york hardcore with some metal influence. Shorter songs the better.

Sheer Terror's "Just Can't Hate Enough" is near perfect, something exactly like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsISaR1SKus

I also like Killing Time's Brightside... pretty similar.

Killing Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d2i3hqxTaM


Not sure if this is exactly along the right lines, but maybe Outburst?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abBy8Rvogcs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0x5MTqQqv0

Well regardless, I'm interested in any recs for this as well.



This is great, thanks!
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
SSatanicSSatan
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:13 am
Posts: 48
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:53 am 
 

Personally I do not listen to much punk, I find it lacking when compared to metal. However I do think d-beat is an interesting style of drumming. I have been drumming for a few months and this is a style I would like to learn. What are the best punk/d-beat bands that influenced some of the Swedish Death Metal?

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1239
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:28 pm 
 

SSatanicSSatan wrote:
Personally I do not listen to much punk, I find it lacking when compared to metal. However I do think d-beat is an interesting style of drumming. I have been drumming for a few months and this is a style I would like to learn. What are the best punk/d-beat bands that influenced some of the Swedish Death Metal?


Anti Cimex

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7zzqI0wUeY
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
suleiman
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:51 am
Posts: 459
Location: Pakistan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:49 am 
 

FleshMonolith wrote:
SSatanicSSatan wrote:
Personally I do not listen to much punk, I find it lacking when compared to metal. However I do think d-beat is an interesting style of drumming. I have been drumming for a few months and this is a style I would like to learn. What are the best punk/d-beat bands that influenced some of the Swedish Death Metal?


Anti Cimex

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7zzqI0wUeY


I second that suggestion. Fukin ace band. Try the sefl titled 12".
Might as well go for broke and get Discharge's Hear Nothing... album also. Their drummer basiclaly invented the beat.

D-beat itself is actually quite simple compared to other styles. There are 3 or 4 variations possibel. So most bands liven it up with inetersting fills as well as the contrast it provides in songs with either :
- faster blast/ grind or thrash style parts
- slower , doomy dirgy crusty sounding parts

see this link also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-beat#Drum_beat

Top
 Profile  
Pathless
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:31 pm
Posts: 132
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:59 pm 
 

Not directed to anyone in paticular, but I thought I'd recommend some punk that is pretty great.

Burning Spirit Japanese hardcore that is usually characterized by it's over the top cheesiness and metal leads. That's really all I can say, it does vary from band to band but those characteristics definitely paint a fundamental picture for those bands.

Death Side
Bastard
Crow
Confuse
Forward
Nightmare
Gauze

And on the more crusty side of things and definitely more metal

Effigy's Evil Fragments and From Hell EP // Kind of sounds like Amebix but much more Stench-y in the way of Instinct of Survival
A.G.E. - Just like Effigy, but has a different more straightforward atmosphere. Again, imagine if Axegrinder or Amebix played more in a style toward Instinct of Survival.

and then more stuff that isn't Japanese

Axegrinder - Metallic Crust that is pretty fucking essential to every crusties playlist. Check out their debut LP. I'd stray away from Grind the Enemy unless you like a more straightforward lo-fi crust sound.

Instinct of Survival - Metallic Crust - I can't give this band enough praise. German stenchcore, and it's exactly like it's stupid sub-genre name describes. Filthy, heavy crust punk that I feel like takes influence from Bolt Thrower and maybe some other 90's death metal bands.

Sepulchre - Metallic Crust - Like Instinct of Survival but more like Axegrinder.

Hellshock (serious Bolt Thrower influence later on) - Metallic Crust - Heavy fucking crust punk, later on they started to sound like if Bolt Thrower played crust.

Asschapel - Sludgy Metallic Crust - I really don't know how to describe this band, it's kind of wild.

Sacrilege - Thrashy Speed/Crust and later on excellent Doom Metal - another essential metal punk band! I describe it as just some thrashing good crust riffs with an atmosphere to die for come their later albums. Early stuff is much more crust as they did evolve into a thrash band with SOME crust influence on the second album.

Damad - bizarre sludgy crust
Skaven - dirty squatter metal crust punk
Sea of Deprivation - sounds like Dystopia gone wild

that's it.

Edit: Actually I want to mention something. It's much more of a personal rant, but our lord and saviors CELTIC FROST and HELLHAMMER have such huge punk influence it's insane that more punks don't listen to them. I am of the opinion that Hellhammer indirectly (and maybe more directly) influenced extreme punk. I'm not giving any less credit to those who OBVIOUSLY influenced crust and grind like Napalm Death, but for the sake of all punk rock, listen to fucking Mega Therion and tell me that isn't a metal record with TONS of punk riffs.


Last edited by Pathless on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Top
 Profile  
dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:16 pm
Posts: 2120
Location: Hotlanta, USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:10 pm 
 

Usually lists without much individual detail are frowned upon but that's a damn good list :)
_________________
SPEWTILATOR - Play Fast // Smoke Grass
NEW 'Goathrower' EP out Feb 14th on Boris Records!
'Ancient Rites of Getting Conjured' split CS w/ Coffin Dust out on Headsplit Rekords!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Top
 Profile  
Pathless
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:31 pm
Posts: 132
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:18 pm 
 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Usually lists without much individual detail are frowned upon but that's a damn good list :)


fixed man, thanks for the heads up.

Top
 Profile  
HellishHound
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:37 am
Posts: 370
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:37 pm 
 

Can anyone rec me some old school anthemic hardcore/punk bands really any anthemic punk thats not pop punk or really mellow. Thanks in advance guys.
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
As a mature adult with refined tastes, I'm now smart enough to know that riffs are god, metal rules and hail satan.

Top
 Profile  
Pathless
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:31 pm
Posts: 132
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:56 pm 
 

HellishHound wrote:
Can anyone rec me some old school anthemic hardcore/punk bands really any anthemic punk thats not pop punk or really mellow. Thanks in advance guys.


What do you mean by "anthemic"?

Top
 Profile  
HellishHound
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:37 am
Posts: 370
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:14 pm 
 

Anthem-like choruses. Shouted gang vocals, etc.
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
As a mature adult with refined tastes, I'm now smart enough to know that riffs are god, metal rules and hail satan.

Top
 Profile  
SSatanicSSatan
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:13 am
Posts: 48
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:00 am 
 

FleshMonolith wrote:
Sounds pretty good though the insturmentation is a bit basic for my taste.

suleiman wrote:
I second that suggestion. Fukin ace band. Try the sefl titled 12".
Might as well go for broke and get Discharge's Hear Nothing... album also. Their drummer basiclaly invented the beat.

D-beat itself is actually quite simple compared to other styles. There are 3 or 4 variations possibel. So most bands liven it up with inetersting fills as well as the contrast it provides in songs with either :
- faster blast/ grind or thrash style parts
- slower , doomy dirgy crusty sounding parts

see this link also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-beat#Drum_beat
That Discharge album sounds quite good. It is more metallic then Anti Cimex. I find most of these bands generic. Discharge wipes the floor with most of these bands. It is an easy and fun style of drumming but genrally I find this music very lacking.

Top
 Profile  
dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:16 pm
Posts: 2120
Location: Hotlanta, USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:56 am 
 

Pathless wrote:
dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Usually lists without much individual detail are frowned upon but that's a damn good list :)


fixed man, thanks for the heads up.

no sweat, total agree on Hellhammer and CF as well.

A.G.E and Hellshock came through here a few years ago and fucking killed it, awesome bands. I've joked with friends that if a band is from Japan and plays punk there's like a 90% chance it's going to rule.
_________________
SPEWTILATOR - Play Fast // Smoke Grass
NEW 'Goathrower' EP out Feb 14th on Boris Records!
'Ancient Rites of Getting Conjured' split CS w/ Coffin Dust out on Headsplit Rekords!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Top
 Profile  
suleiman
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:51 am
Posts: 459
Location: Pakistan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:48 am 
 

HellishHound wrote:
Can anyone rec me some old school anthemic hardcore/punk bands really any anthemic punk thats not pop punk or really mellow. Thanks in advance guys.


Older Dropkick Murphys should do nicely.
Alos the first 2 Distillers records.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 22  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group