Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6358
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:22 am 
 

doomster999 wrote:
Amorphis ... 'progressive/symphonic metal'

:lol: No.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:58 am
Posts: 601
Location: India
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:33 am 
 

Ilwhyan wrote:
doomster999 wrote:
Amorphis ... 'progressive/symphonic metal'

:lol: No.


Enough use of synthesizers in all of the records with Joutsen. Elaborate what you mean by 'lol' and 'no' please.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6358
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:36 am 
 

I assumed you had merely neglected to think before posting, but since you actually stand by that opinion, I don't really have anything other to say to you than synth != symphonic.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:00 pm
Posts: 4201
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:14 am 
 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Metal genres are capitalized. It's just the way it is, whatever the mods say!


It's true! And likewise METAL, when written properly, is entirely capitalized (ex: METAL), the five letters standing for each of the main five METAL Subgenres. Together they form an acronym.
_________________
Visual Art: The Illuminated Night
Drone: IA
Shop: House of the Black Wolf

Top
 Profile  
Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:22 pm
Posts: 2692
Location: Dekalb, Illinois
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:35 am 
 

Under_Starmere wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:
Metal genres are capitalized. It's just the way it is, whatever the mods say!


It's true! And likewise METAL, when written properly, is entirely capitalized (ex: METAL), the five letters standing for each of the main five METAL Subgenres. Together they form an acronym.


M-Manowar
E-Extremely metal
T-Totally metal
A-Awesome metal
L-Literally metal
_________________
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
i'm powered by blast beats and distortion.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

Top
 Profile  
doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:58 am
Posts: 601
Location: India
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:04 am 
 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I assumed you had merely neglected to think before posting, but since you actually stand by that opinion, I don't really have anything other to say to you than synth != symphonic.


It'll take a long debate on whether synth = symphonic or not. But does Eternal Tears of Sorrow sound any different from Joutsen era Amorphis?
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6358
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:01 am 
 

I don't listen to Eternal Tears of Sorrow, so I don't know how they mostly sound. But upon sampling this song, it's obvious why this is labelled as symphonic. Five points hint: it has to do with what the synthetisation sounds like. Just as playing riffs on electric guitars doesn't make anything metal.

The synth on that is fifteen times more prominent anyway.

Short answer: yes, it sounds very, very different.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 am
Posts: 1966
Location: Panopticon
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:05 am 
 

why spend shedloads on a vase when you could have one of these sitting in your parlour :drool:

Spoiler: show
Image
_________________
Outgunned, outnumbered, though never outclassed

Top
 Profile  
godsonsafari
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:03 am
Posts: 689
Location: Sparty's Land Grant University, USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:41 am 
 

I don't see the "symphonic" element in what Amorphis ever did, TBH. They had some folk elements being introduced via the synth and more often than not it came across as sounding like paens for 70s prog rock back when they used to do something I cared about. I do, however, think they aren't that far off in what they're doing from a band like, I dunno, Chevelle or Shinedown or something like that these days. They're a band that fills that void mostly for an audience outside the US.
_________________
"It's not some safe thing like Fugazi where everyone sits down and eats their tofu and goes 'wow man, that's revolutionary' " - Jerry A of Poison Idea

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6358
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:45 am 
 

godsonsafari wrote:
I don't see the "symphonic" element in what Amorphis ever did, TBH. They had some folk elements being introduced via the synth and more often than not it came across as sounding like paens for 70s prog rock back when they used to do something I cared about. I do, however, think they aren't that far off in what they're doing from a band like, I dunno, Chevelle or Shinedown or something like that these days. They're a band that fills that void mostly for an audience outside the US.

Chevelle? Even though Amorphis has been quite stagnant and uninteresting lately, they don't even begin to reach the level of placidity of that shite. It's like trying to grab the moon by reaching for its reflection on water.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
godsonsafari
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:03 am
Posts: 689
Location: Sparty's Land Grant University, USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:48 am 
 

Nah, I'm serious. Basically if Amorphis was some random band that just started 6-7 years ago and not the band that recorded Tales From a Thousand Lakes, they would never, ever get a pass for the crap they've recorded the last few years.
_________________
"It's not some safe thing like Fugazi where everyone sits down and eats their tofu and goes 'wow man, that's revolutionary' " - Jerry A of Poison Idea

Top
 Profile  
shouvince
Veteran

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:11 am
Posts: 2699
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:49 am 
 

Ilwhyan wrote:
synth != symphonic.


Agreed. From all that genre debate, the only thing that made sense was this ^.

I don't know much about symphonic bands though. I try to avoid them to be honest with the exception of maybe some Carach Angren here and there.

In other news, it's legal for women to wear pants in Paris now!
newsfeed.time.com/2013/02/04/it-is-now-legal-for-women-to-wear-pants-in-paris/

Top
 Profile  
doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:58 am
Posts: 601
Location: India
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:03 pm 
 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I don't listen to Eternal Tears of Sorrow, so I don't know how they mostly sound. But upon sampling this song, it's obvious why this is labelled as symphonic. Five points hint: it has to do with what the synthetisation sounds like. Just as playing riffs on electric guitars doesn't make anything metal.

The synth on that is fifteen times more prominent anyway.

Short answer: yes, it sounds very, very different.


I'm not much into symphonic/melodic bands either. Undoubtedly the keyboards dominate most ETOS songs. But that doesn't mean it's completely inaudible in Amorphis compositions. Here's a song from the last album. It's either melodic or symphonic metal. NOT 'modern rock'.

godsonsafari wrote:
I don't see the "symphonic" element in what Amorphis ever did, TBH. They had some folk elements being introduced via the synth and more often than not it came across as sounding like paens for 70s prog rock back when they used to do something I cared about. I do, however, think they aren't that far off in what they're doing from a band like, I dunno, Chevelle or Shinedown or something like that these days. They're a band that fills that void mostly for an audience outside the US.


Hilarious. Shinedown plays watered down southern rock. Do you hear any southern rock influences in Amorphis? And Chevelle is a watered down version of Tool. I don't hear much Tool influence in Amorphis either.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6358
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:15 pm 
 

doomster999: Symphonic means, quite literally, symphony-esque. That would mean something that is reminiscent of orchestral western music. Keyboards have fuck all to do with it. Yes, keyboards produce synth sounds, and said sounds are most commonly used to create symphonic sounds in metal, but again, I refer to the electric guitar riff and metal analogy. Just because it has wheels doesn't mean it's a car.

Symphonic metal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKuWaM87_Ew
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 4386
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:35 pm 
 

A few weeks ago I invited opinions as to whether I should buy Sabbat's (UK) first two or Holy Terror's first two.

Now that I own all four I realize what a completely idiotic query this was. Don't get me wrong, Holy Terror are good. Really good, even. But History of a Time to Come is EARTH SHATTERING. I can't believe what a perfect blend of thrash, Mercyful Fate, and nwobhm (Hell) they were able to execute. I haven't even spun Dreamweaver yet because I'm still trying to digest the utterly perfect meal that is their debut.
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:09 pm
Posts: 560
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:56 pm 
 

I love how I can't understand a single word they say in sabbat's dreamweaver. It's a fun album though. Really good playing. Holy terror has good thrash metal albums too. Not the best though.
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/metaldiscussor


Last edited by metaldiscussor666 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Veracs
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:56 pm
Posts: 1893
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:20 pm 
 

Jonpo wrote:
A few weeks ago I invited opinions as to whether I should buy Sabbat's (UK) first two or Holy Terror's first two.

Now that I own all four I realize what a completely idiotic query this was. Don't get me wrong, Holy Terror are good. Really good, even. But History of a Time to Come is EARTH SHATTERING. I can't believe what a perfect blend of thrash, Mercyful Fate, and nwobhm (Hell) they were able to execute. I haven't even spun Dreamweaver yet because I'm still trying to digest the utterly perfect meal that is their debut.


I haven't heard that album yet, but Dreamweaver was a letdown for me. I expected a lot more than just weak Exodus riffs, some overlong song moments, and Walkyier's voice being drowned out half the time. Mind wars smashes that album as most thrash albums with utter ease, I'll have to listen to that album but I doubt it would be any different. Mind wars is the ultimate thrash album.
_________________
Malignanthrone wrote:

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Top
 Profile  
Dragunov
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:34 pm
Posts: 2328
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:32 pm 
 

I'm definitely of the belief that HOATTC > DW. So many classic riffs/lyrics on that one. BELL, BOOK, CANDLE; CANDLE, BOOK, BELL...FORWARDS AND BACKWARDS TO DAMN ME TO HELLLLL
_________________
HamburgerBoy wrote:
Chugging DURDURDUR is more metal than airy lelelelelelelelleele.

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Magic Mike

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 5192
Location: Oswego, Illinois
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:47 pm 
 

HARK THE FALLEN ANGELS SING
GLORY TO SATAN OUR KING

History is better, I agree, it's a true beast of an album.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Hoth - Oathbreaker

Top
 Profile  
godsonsafari
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:03 am
Posts: 689
Location: Sparty's Land Grant University, USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:48 pm 
 

Quote:
Hilarious. Shinedown plays watered down southern rock. Do you hear any southern rock influences in Amorphis? And Chevelle is a watered down version of Tool. I don't hear much Tool influence in Amorphis either.


Shinedown doesn't sound anything like southern rock. C'mon, you really hear .38 Special or Molly Hatchet in that? They're not at all dissimilar to Chevelle, Breaking Benjamin, et al. They're a modern rock band that happened to be a metal band once and so people pretend it is somehow better than it is. Its like how you have a significant number of metal fans who would never buy a Brit-Pop record but own Anathema and Gathering CDs from after the point where they abandoned being metal acts and became cut rate versions of better alternative rock bands.
_________________
"It's not some safe thing like Fugazi where everyone sits down and eats their tofu and goes 'wow man, that's revolutionary' " - Jerry A of Poison Idea

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 9452
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:01 pm 
 

Ilwhyan wrote:
doomster999 wrote:
Amorphis ... 'progressive/symphonic metal'

:lol: No.

Yeah really, not even close. :nono:
_________________
Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
you can debate the actual date that metal began, but a fairly agreed upon date is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old
Extreme_violence wrote:
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

Top
 Profile  
TheExodusAttack
Metalhead

Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 4:16 am
Posts: 1742
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:23 pm 
 

Veracs wrote:
Jonpo wrote:
A few weeks ago I invited opinions as to whether I should buy Sabbat's (UK) first two or Holy Terror's first two.

Now that I own all four I realize what a completely idiotic query this was. Don't get me wrong, Holy Terror are good. Really good, even. But History of a Time to Come is EARTH SHATTERING. I can't believe what a perfect blend of thrash, Mercyful Fate, and nwobhm (Hell) they were able to execute. I haven't even spun Dreamweaver yet because I'm still trying to digest the utterly perfect meal that is their debut.


I haven't heard that album yet, but Dreamweaver was a letdown for me. I expected a lot more than just weak Exodus riffs, some overlong song moments, and Walkyier's voice being drowned out half the time. Mind wars smashes that album as most thrash albums with utter ease, I'll have to listen to that album but I doubt it would be any different. Mind wars is the ultimate thrash album.


Ya'll are crazy, Dreamweaver is a fucking masterpiece. I'd reckon that overall it's even more memorable than History, although you do have to get into the whole concept album aspect of it. Very rarely can an album loaded with 6+ minute songs get me singing along like that album does. I don't give a fuck about most metal lyrics but that album really does something special with the story. I have the remastered CD and there are so many lyrics that the type in the liner notes are so small it's practically impossible to read. :lol:
_________________
casusluciferi666 on Meshuggah wrote:
No, they are not djent. Djent is deathcore meets Meshuggah ripoff, ie shit. Don't you dare use such blasphemous words to describe Meshuggah.
Varth wrote:
I am getting pissed thinking about all the dumbass fake punk my sister made me listen to

Top
 Profile  
godsonsafari
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:03 am
Posts: 689
Location: Sparty's Land Grant University, USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:26 pm 
 

Meanwhile, over at Grantland; a sort of a dissertation about the "jazzification" of rock music using Metallica as the example. Some premises I agree with, some I don't at least structurally though I do philosophically.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/891 ... -metallica
_________________
"It's not some safe thing like Fugazi where everyone sits down and eats their tofu and goes 'wow man, that's revolutionary' " - Jerry A of Poison Idea

Top
 Profile  
Ribos
Radioactive Man

Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:10 pm
Posts: 3025
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:21 pm 
 

Dreamweaver is awesome. Simple as that. The mixing may be a bit off, but considering its time and budget, it could have been a lot worse. The writing, though, is beastly. Read the damn lyrics, folks! The story has quite a bit of ground to cover, hence the longer songs. The riffs hold up through it all, though, and the choruses can definitely be sung along with.

That all being said, Holy Terror is VERY good. Both albums.
_________________
843182 wrote:
biohazard the band is not is when you want to add it to tell you that there is

Top
 Profile  
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:00 pm
Posts: 4201
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:50 pm 
 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
Under_Starmere wrote:
It's true! And likewise METAL, when written properly, is entirely capitalized (ex: METAL), the five letters standing for each of the main five METAL Subgenres. Together they form an acronym.


M-Manowar
E-Extremely metal
T-Totally metal
A-Awesome metal
L-Literally metal


:roll: Noob. The five METAL Subgenres are:

Medieval
Evil
Tech
Assyrian
Lifestyle

Go back to the Disney Channel forum poser!!!


....Man, V: Havitetty is a pretty damn good album. Never gave it a fair listen before today, but glad I did so. A great example of Viking-y/folk-y/black metal that doesn't suck, but is instead colorful and imaginative, well written and very well sequenced. It's a testament to how nicely put together the album is that they can manage to stretch out two tracks to the length of an hour and yet never once dip into tedium.
Makes me remember that I haven't heard much talk of Moonsorrow on the boards for a while. It seemed like they were enjoying a popularity wave a while back. Should look up Verisakeet again.
_________________
Visual Art: The Illuminated Night
Drone: IA
Shop: House of the Black Wolf

Top
 Profile  
FasterDisaster
OMG WAT DOES THIS CAPS LOCK KEY DO

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:08 pm
Posts: 6341
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:56 pm 
 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Does anybody know if the new Suffocation leaked? I'm itching to get my hands on some grade-a death metal.

Welp, people?
_________________
Abominatrix wrote:
No way, that sounds great...especially the asparagus. Mmmm yes indeed.

Top
 Profile  
TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 1129
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:01 pm 
 

Much clown love, foremost.

I set aside a moment today to consider the pathos of the Insane Clown Posse. I thought, "by gum, of all the notable achievements achieved in what we might as well call Achieversville, MI, Psychopathic Records certainly ranks among them as a functioning and quite successful independent record label in the early nineties Midwestern economic market. Though the success was comparatively small compared against Sub-Pop and the like, the dreams of a couple of farty fat boys from Suburbville, MI, on the purely monetary level, were decently successful business apparatuses at one point.

This led me to believe that either the adolescents populating the Juggalo Metropolitan are some of our most shameful lot, or that Master J and Master Dope are indeed superb mental forerunners in the psychic race against time coming to a theater near you.

Anyhow, being all that aside, we must use the music as the raw material of observation if we are ever to move past these abstractions. Are Insane Clown Posse pulling a fast one on the slow ones, or are they the conscious equivalents of an adolescent, still?

I listened to 85 bucks an hour, and decided they still made me laugh and are just wizards of High Order having a jolly old time. Listening to ICP and expecting a touching listening experience is like finding the Marx Brothers on mushrooms in your little sister's toybox and demanding they recite captivating verse - a damned waste of what could have been a helluva time.

I assert, then, for now, to keep spreading the clown love.

And there you have it:

Much clown love, y'all. I appreciate everybody on this forum. You keep me very entertained. I suspect we all keep each other moderately entertained.

Resume.

Top
 Profile  
caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:29 pm
Posts: 6084
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:03 pm 
 

FasterDisaster wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
Does anybody know if the new Suffocation leaked? I'm itching to get my hands on some grade-a death metal.

Welp, people?


there's this cool thing called google.com man, you can look for all sorts of things there.

Turns out it actually has leaked though, and it's just that no one is mentioning it on MA to keep it a secret from you? ;)
_________________
http://www.pozible.com/project/177604 <-- got a crowdfunder thing going for an album I'm doing. Pre-order something!

Top
 Profile  
iAm
Wastelander

Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:18 am
Posts: 5629
Location: West of the Duwamish due South of the Sound
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:08 pm 
 

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:
Listening to ICP and expecting a touching listening experience is like finding the Marx Brothers on mushrooms in your little sister's toybox.


What the fuck :lol:
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
If the U.N. flew a bunch of C130's over Syria and rained down boxes of Thin Mints, they'd be standing in a giant circle hand-in-hand singing like goddamn Whoville residents within an hour.

I hate music

Top
 Profile  
TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 1129
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:12 pm 
 

Precisely.

Top
 Profile  
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:00 pm
Posts: 4201
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:20 pm 
 

Was that some form of apologism to twist me into looking on Insane Clown Posse with a more tolerant eye? Because I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that. I'm sensing some strong self-fear. Don't make me hug my inner juggalo. :panda:
_________________
Visual Art: The Illuminated Night
Drone: IA
Shop: House of the Black Wolf

Top
 Profile  
inhumanist
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:09 pm
Posts: 4205
Location: 50 Forts Along The Rhine
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:21 pm 
 

godsonsafari wrote:
Meanwhile, over at Grantland; a sort of a dissertation about the "jazzification" of rock music using Metallica as the example. Some premises I agree with, some I don't at least structurally though I do philosophically.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/891 ... -metallica

This might just me being ignorant but I kinda think that people who are elitist about rock music (which here doesn't include metal), and therefore think there is a "true" kind of rock music that does something significantly better than the mainstream stuff, are naive, deluded and/or hipsters.
_________________
Celtic Frosted Flakes wrote:
Compared to how it is here in Sweden, fascism sounds like paradise.
Metantoine wrote:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Top
 Profile  
TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 1129
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:26 pm 
 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Was that some form of apologism to twist me into looking on Insane Clown Posse with a more tolerant eye? Because I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that. I'm sensing some strong self-fear. Don't make me hug my inner juggalo. :panda:


No, I'm no apologist. I assert that my observations are based on my own conscious pre-disposition, and that I could certainly envision a situation in which the wicked clowns are utterly without redemption. Perhaps anyone who lives outside the rust-belt area.

I too have an inner juggalo. It was a natural course of progression for me, and I used the term earnestly for perhaps six months. After six months, I said, "well, this is certainly bullshit. No more clown love for anybody."

My initial note was merely a personal revelation of whether or not my saying "much clown love" contained any meaning any longer. Certainly it contains no semantic content to speak of.

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 1829
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:31 pm 
 

Speaking of ICP, during one of my smokey, late night YouTube trawls, I accidentally stumbled across a "Miss Juggalette" contest. :ugh:

:puke:
_________________
The Zone takes care of its own.

Top
 Profile  
FasterDisaster
OMG WAT DOES THIS CAPS LOCK KEY DO

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:08 pm
Posts: 6341
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:33 pm 
 

caspian wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
Does anybody know if the new Suffocation leaked? I'm itching to get my hands on some grade-a death metal.
Turns out it actually has leaked though, and it's just that no one is mentioning it on MA to keep it a secret from you? ;)

A few torrents I looked at listed some as fake/malware, and I can't seem to find an actual download link or torrent that has seeds. Unless there's some secret Heavy Metal Club I don't know about.
_________________
Abominatrix wrote:
No way, that sounds great...especially the asparagus. Mmmm yes indeed.

Top
 Profile  
dystopia4
Veteran

Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:47 pm
Posts: 3497
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:41 pm 
 

Stumbled across this on Men's Health, the band Graveyard matches beer to metal songs. I've never really listened to Graveyard, but I think that it's really cool that a list featuring Kyuss, Candlemass an Townes Van Zdant (obviously not metal, but I agree that his music often has an atmosphere that fits in with metal) made the website of major men's magazine. I really want to try the beer paired with Candlemass: http://www.menshealth.com/guy-gourmet/p ... metal-song

Speaking of Jugallos, has anyone seen the Jugallo episode of Workaholics? Funny shit.
_________________
http://ifthisishellthenimlucky.blogspot.ca/

Top
 Profile  
shouvince
Veteran

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:11 am
Posts: 2699
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:13 pm 
 

Jugallos are stupid ya'll, they don't know how magnets work.

FasterDisaster wrote:
...Unless there's some secret Heavy Metal Club I don't know about.


Didn't you get the memo from Metantoine? Oh wait :oh shit:

Top
 Profile  
Folkemon_
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:43 pm
Posts: 2057
Location: England
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:17 pm 
 

Dreamweaver is a fucking masterpeice, fuck you all!
_________________
You are still the number one, wilderness my soul.

Top
 Profile  
Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 8579
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:18 pm 
 

Nope, he's not cool enough. His favorite genre is thrash!

Here ya go, the link for the new Suffocation. You're welcome!
_________________
Metantoine's Magickal Realm - review: Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden
Last.fm
Halberd (doom/death)

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
May contain traces of nuts

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 5302
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:24 pm 
 

Pffft, thrash is too metal for Tony! :-P
_________________
Under_Starmere wrote:
THESE GILLS BREATHE HATERADE

KolmeNoitaa wrote:
(...) microwaves are your best friends. You'll learn to cook anything and everything by nuking it.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 788, 789, 790, 791, 792, 793, 794 ... 827  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Derigin, Erosion of Humanity, ShaolinLambKiller and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group