Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:22 am 

doomster999 wrote:
Amorphis ... 'progressive/symphonic metal'

:lol: No.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:33 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
doomster999 wrote:

Enough use of synthesizers in all of the records with Joutsen. Elaborate what you mean by 'lol' and 'no' please.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:36 am 

I assumed you had merely neglected to think before posting, but since you actually stand by that opinion, I don't really have anything other to say to you than synth != symphonic.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:14 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Metal genres are capitalized. It's just the way it is, whatever the mods say!

It's true! And likewise METAL, when written properly, is entirely capitalized (ex: METAL), the five letters standing for each of the main five METAL Subgenres. Together they form an acronym.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:35 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:
Metal genres are capitalized. It's just the way it is, whatever the mods say!

It's true! And likewise METAL, when written properly, is entirely capitalized (ex: METAL), the five letters standing for each of the main five METAL Subgenres. Together they form an acronym.

M-Manowar
E-Extremely metal
T-Totally metal
A-Awesome metal
L-Literally metal

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

doomster999

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:04 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I assumed you had merely neglected to think before posting, but since you actually stand by that opinion, I don't really have anything other to say to you than synth != symphonic.

It'll take a long debate on whether synth = symphonic or not. But does Eternal Tears of Sorrow sound any different from Joutsen era Amorphis?
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:01 am 

I don't listen to Eternal Tears of Sorrow, so I don't know how they mostly sound. But upon sampling this song, it's obvious why this is labelled as symphonic. Five points hint: it has to do with what the synthetisation sounds like. Just as playing riffs on electric guitars doesn't make anything metal.

The synth on that is fifteen times more prominent anyway.

Short answer: yes, it sounds very, very different.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:05 am 

why spend shedloads on a vase when you could have one of these sitting in your parlour :drool:

Spoiler: show

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:41 am 

I don't see the "symphonic" element in what Amorphis ever did, TBH. They had some folk elements being introduced via the synth and more often than not it came across as sounding like paens for 70s prog rock back when they used to do something I cared about. I do, however, think they aren't that far off in what they're doing from a band like, I dunno, Chevelle or Shinedown or something like that these days. They're a band that fills that void mostly for an audience outside the US.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:45 am 

godsonsafari wrote:
I don't see the "symphonic" element in what Amorphis ever did, TBH. They had some folk elements being introduced via the synth and more often than not it came across as sounding like paens for 70s prog rock back when they used to do something I cared about. I do, however, think they aren't that far off in what they're doing from a band like, I dunno, Chevelle or Shinedown or something like that these days. They're a band that fills that void mostly for an audience outside the US.

Chevelle? Even though Amorphis has been quite stagnant and uninteresting lately, they don't even begin to reach the level of placidity of that shite. It's like trying to grab the moon by reaching for its reflection on water.

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:48 am 

Nah, I'm serious. Basically if Amorphis was some random band that just started 6-7 years ago and not the band that recorded Tales From a Thousand Lakes, they would never, ever get a pass for the crap they've recorded the last few years.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:49 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
synth != symphonic.

Agreed. From all that genre debate, the only thing that made sense was this ^.

I don't know much about symphonic bands though. I try to avoid them to be honest with the exception of maybe some Carach Angren here and there.

In other news, it's legal for women to wear pants in Paris now!
newsfeed.time.com/2013/02/04/it-is-now-legal-for-women-to-wear-pants-in-paris/

doomster999

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:03 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I don't listen to Eternal Tears of Sorrow, so I don't know how they mostly sound. But upon sampling this song, it's obvious why this is labelled as symphonic. Five points hint: it has to do with what the synthetisation sounds like. Just as playing riffs on electric guitars doesn't make anything metal.

The synth on that is fifteen times more prominent anyway.

Short answer: yes, it sounds very, very different.

I'm not much into symphonic/melodic bands either. Undoubtedly the keyboards dominate most ETOS songs. But that doesn't mean it's completely inaudible in Amorphis compositions. Here's a song from the last album. It's either melodic or symphonic metal. NOT 'modern rock'.

godsonsafari wrote:

Hilarious. Shinedown plays watered down southern rock. Do you hear any southern rock influences in Amorphis? And Chevelle is a watered down version of Tool. I don't hear much Tool influence in Amorphis either.

Last.fm

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:15 pm 

doomster999: Symphonic means, quite literally, symphony-esque. That would mean something that is reminiscent of orchestral western music. Keyboards have fuck all to do with it. Yes, keyboards produce synth sounds, and said sounds are most commonly used to create symphonic sounds in metal, but again, I refer to the electric guitar riff and metal analogy. Just because it has wheels doesn't mean it's a car.

Symphonic metal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKuWaM87_Ew

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:35 pm 

A few weeks ago I invited opinions as to whether I should buy Sabbat's (UK) first two or Holy Terror's first two.

Now that I own all four I realize what a completely idiotic query this was. Don't get me wrong, Holy Terror are good. Really good, even. But History of a Time to Come is EARTH SHATTERING. I can't believe what a perfect blend of thrash, Mercyful Fate, and nwobhm (Hell) they were able to execute. I haven't even spun Dreamweaver yet because I'm still trying to digest the utterly perfect meal that is their debut.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:56 pm 

I love how I can't understand a single word they say in sabbat's dreamweaver. It's a fun album though. Really good playing. Holy terror has good thrash metal albums too. Not the best though.

Last edited by metaldiscussor666 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:20 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
A few weeks ago I invited opinions as to whether I should buy Sabbat's (UK) first two or Holy Terror's first two.

Now that I own all four I realize what a completely idiotic query this was. Don't get me wrong, Holy Terror are good. Really good, even. But History of a Time to Come is EARTH SHATTERING. I can't believe what a perfect blend of thrash, Mercyful Fate, and nwobhm (Hell) they were able to execute. I haven't even spun Dreamweaver yet because I'm still trying to digest the utterly perfect meal that is their debut.

I haven't heard that album yet, but Dreamweaver was a letdown for me. I expected a lot more than just weak Exodus riffs, some overlong song moments, and Walkyier's voice being drowned out half the time. Mind wars smashes that album as most thrash albums with utter ease, I'll have to listen to that album but I doubt it would be any different. Mind wars is the ultimate thrash album.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:32 pm 

I'm definitely of the belief that HOATTC > DW. So many classic riffs/lyrics on that one. BELL, BOOK, CANDLE; CANDLE, BOOK, BELL...FORWARDS AND BACKWARDS TO DAMN ME TO HELLLLL

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:47 pm 

HARK THE FALLEN ANGELS SING
GLORY TO SATAN OUR KING

History is better, I agree, it's a true beast of an album.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:48 pm 

Quote:
Hilarious. Shinedown plays watered down southern rock. Do you hear any southern rock influences in Amorphis? And Chevelle is a watered down version of Tool. I don't hear much Tool influence in Amorphis either.

Shinedown doesn't sound anything like southern rock. C'mon, you really hear .38 Special or Molly Hatchet in that? They're not at all dissimilar to Chevelle, Breaking Benjamin, et al. They're a modern rock band that happened to be a metal band once and so people pretend it is somehow better than it is. Its like how you have a significant number of metal fans who would never buy a Brit-Pop record but own Anathema and Gathering CDs from after the point where they abandoned being metal acts and became cut rate versions of better alternative rock bands.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:01 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
doomster999 wrote:

Yeah really, not even close. :nono:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:23 pm 

Veracs wrote:
Jonpo wrote:

I haven't heard that album yet, but Dreamweaver was a letdown for me. I expected a lot more than just weak Exodus riffs, some overlong song moments, and Walkyier's voice being drowned out half the time. Mind wars smashes that album as most thrash albums with utter ease, I'll have to listen to that album but I doubt it would be any different. Mind wars is the ultimate thrash album.

Ya'll are crazy, Dreamweaver is a fucking masterpiece. I'd reckon that overall it's even more memorable than History, although you do have to get into the whole concept album aspect of it. Very rarely can an album loaded with 6+ minute songs get me singing along like that album does. I don't give a fuck about most metal lyrics but that album really does something special with the story. I have the remastered CD and there are so many lyrics that the type in the liner notes are so small it's practically impossible to read. :lol:
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:26 pm 

Meanwhile, over at Grantland; a sort of a dissertation about the "jazzification" of rock music using Metallica as the example. Some premises I agree with, some I don't at least structurally though I do philosophically.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/891 ... -metallica

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:21 pm 

Dreamweaver is awesome. Simple as that. The mixing may be a bit off, but considering its time and budget, it could have been a lot worse. The writing, though, is beastly. Read the damn lyrics, folks! The story has quite a bit of ground to cover, hence the longer songs. The riffs hold up through it all, though, and the choruses can definitely be sung along with.

That all being said, Holy Terror is VERY good. Both albums.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:50 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
Under_Starmere wrote:

M-Manowar
E-Extremely metal
T-Totally metal
A-Awesome metal
L-Literally metal

:roll: Noob. The five METAL Subgenres are:

Medieval
Evil
Tech
Assyrian
Lifestyle

Go back to the Disney Channel forum poser!!!

....Man, V: Havitetty is a pretty damn good album. Never gave it a fair listen before today, but glad I did so. A great example of Viking-y/folk-y/black metal that doesn't suck, but is instead colorful and imaginative, well written and very well sequenced. It's a testament to how nicely put together the album is that they can manage to stretch out two tracks to the length of an hour and yet never once dip into tedium.
Makes me remember that I haven't heard much talk of Moonsorrow on the boards for a while. It seemed like they were enjoying a popularity wave a while back. Should look up Verisakeet again.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:56 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Does anybody know if the new Suffocation leaked? I'm itching to get my hands on some grade-a death metal.

Welp, people?

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:01 pm 

Much clown love, foremost.

I set aside a moment today to consider the pathos of the Insane Clown Posse. I thought, "by gum, of all the notable achievements achieved in what we might as well call Achieversville, MI, Psychopathic Records certainly ranks among them as a functioning and quite successful independent record label in the early nineties Midwestern economic market. Though the success was comparatively small compared against Sub-Pop and the like, the dreams of a couple of farty fat boys from Suburbville, MI, on the purely monetary level, were decently successful business apparatuses at one point.

This led me to believe that either the adolescents populating the Juggalo Metropolitan are some of our most shameful lot, or that Master J and Master Dope are indeed superb mental forerunners in the psychic race against time coming to a theater near you.

Anyhow, being all that aside, we must use the music as the raw material of observation if we are ever to move past these abstractions. Are Insane Clown Posse pulling a fast one on the slow ones, or are they the conscious equivalents of an adolescent, still?

I listened to 85 bucks an hour, and decided they still made me laugh and are just wizards of High Order having a jolly old time. Listening to ICP and expecting a touching listening experience is like finding the Marx Brothers on mushrooms in your little sister's toybox and demanding they recite captivating verse - a damned waste of what could have been a helluva time.

I assert, then, for now, to keep spreading the clown love.

And there you have it:

Much clown love, y'all. I appreciate everybody on this forum. You keep me very entertained. I suspect we all keep each other moderately entertained.

Resume.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:03 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
Does anybody know if the new Suffocation leaked? I'm itching to get my hands on some grade-a death metal.

Welp, people?

there's this cool thing called google.com man, you can look for all sorts of things there.

Turns out it actually has leaked though, and it's just that no one is mentioning it on MA to keep it a secret from you? ;)

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:08 pm 

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:
Listening to ICP and expecting a touching listening experience is like finding the Marx Brothers on mushrooms in your little sister's toybox.

What the fuck :lol:

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:12 pm 

Precisely.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:20 pm 

Was that some form of apologism to twist me into looking on Insane Clown Posse with a more tolerant eye? Because I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that. I'm sensing some strong self-fear. Don't make me hug my inner juggalo. :panda:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:21 pm 

godsonsafari wrote:
Meanwhile, over at Grantland; a sort of a dissertation about the "jazzification" of rock music using Metallica as the example. Some premises I agree with, some I don't at least structurally though I do philosophically.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/891 ... -metallica

This might just me being ignorant but I kinda think that people who are elitist about rock music (which here doesn't include metal), and therefore think there is a "true" kind of rock music that does something significantly better than the mainstream stuff, are naive, deluded and/or hipsters.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:26 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Was that some form of apologism to twist me into looking on Insane Clown Posse with a more tolerant eye? Because I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that. I'm sensing some strong self-fear. Don't make me hug my inner juggalo. :panda:

No, I'm no apologist. I assert that my observations are based on my own conscious pre-disposition, and that I could certainly envision a situation in which the wicked clowns are utterly without redemption. Perhaps anyone who lives outside the rust-belt area.

I too have an inner juggalo. It was a natural course of progression for me, and I used the term earnestly for perhaps six months. After six months, I said, "well, this is certainly bullshit. No more clown love for anybody."

My initial note was merely a personal revelation of whether or not my saying "much clown love" contained any meaning any longer. Certainly it contains no semantic content to speak of.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:31 pm 

Speaking of ICP, during one of my smokey, late night YouTube trawls, I accidentally stumbled across a "Miss Juggalette" contest. :ugh:

:puke:
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:33 pm 

caspian wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
Turns out it actually has leaked though, and it's just that no one is mentioning it on MA to keep it a secret from you? ;)

A few torrents I looked at listed some as fake/malware, and I can't seem to find an actual download link or torrent that has seeds. Unless there's some secret Heavy Metal Club I don't know about.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:41 pm 

Stumbled across this on Men's Health, the band Graveyard matches beer to metal songs. I've never really listened to Graveyard, but I think that it's really cool that a list featuring Kyuss, Candlemass an Townes Van Zdant (obviously not metal, but I agree that his music often has an atmosphere that fits in with metal) made the website of major men's magazine. I really want to try the beer paired with Candlemass: http://www.menshealth.com/guy-gourmet/p ... metal-song

Speaking of Jugallos, has anyone seen the Jugallo episode of Workaholics? Funny shit.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:13 pm 

Jugallos are stupid ya'll, they don't know how magnets work.

FasterDisaster wrote:
...Unless there's some secret Heavy Metal Club I don't know about.

Didn't you get the memo from Metantoine? Oh wait :oh shit:

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:17 pm 

Dreamweaver is a fucking masterpeice, fuck you all!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:18 pm 

Nope, he's not cool enough. His favorite genre is thrash!

Here ya go, the link for the new Suffocation. You're welcome!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:24 pm 

Pffft, thrash is too metal for Tony! :-P

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 788, 789, 790, 791, 792, 793, 794 ... 827  Next