Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
kristovs
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:17 pm 

I wish you to update avanced search tag, and add bluray in "RELEASE TYPE".

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:33 pm 

There is no such release type and I very much doubt it's necessary to distinguish it from the DVD category we have. A mention can be added about the exact disc format in the additional notes, if applicable.

Can't say I've seen many band releases on blu-ray. None, actually. Care to give an example?

EDIT: Hm, well apparently there's some out there. Not surprising, I guess. The point still stands, no need for a separate category.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:31 am 

I'm sure some of the big bands have Blu-ray releases. Megadeth comes to mind. But this release was also in DVD format, so like you said Azmodes, additional notes would suffice.

Edit: Oh, yeah, you found some. :P

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:47 am 

There's been talk to changing it to only "Videos". Maybe that ought to be the case with all the various formats.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:31 am 

Or maybe the change should be from "DVD" to "DVD/Blu-Ray". VHS is a different matter, with a technological gap like that between vinyls and CD, whereas DVDs and Blu-Rays are playable on the same player nowadays. VHS is so 80s that we should keep it.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:22 am 

Changing it to simply "Video" doesn't seem like a bad idea. Not sure if we'd need to keep VHS as a separate category, personally, I'd say just merge it. When (if? :( ) the new design regarding different album versions comes along there will be an elegant way to input specific formats anyway. And right now there's always our beloved notes.

kristovs
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:59 pm 

I like this format and there's plenty of blurays out there (specially remastered old videos) the problem is when you try to make a avanced search you don't have this option available. I think administrators have to consider this....

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:31 pm 

Napero wrote:
Or maybe the change should be from "DVD" to "DVD/Blu-Ray". VHS is a different matter, with a technological gap like that between vinyls and CD, whereas DVDs and Blu-Rays are playable on the same player nowadays. VHS is so 80s that we should keep it.

The content is the same though - much like the jump from vinyl to CDs gave us the ability to select tracks/chapters, going from VHS to DVD did the same thing. I don't think that much was released on both DVD and VHS, but would it make sense to have a "video" category and then have check-boxes for the formats: VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray, and the comedy options of LaserDisc, VideoDisc, HD-DVD, and Betamax? Or uh, maybe "other" for those.

Reply to topic