Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:49 pm 

Dandelo wrote:
May have missed it, but what is the consensus on the new Helloween? Worth a purchase?

If you liked Gambling with the Devil and 7 Sinners, you know exactly what you're in for.

But yes.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:33 pm 

The new Helloween is awesome. I might even like it better than Gambling; have to give it more listens to see.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:40 pm 

Ehhh, I'd still give Gambling the nod, but it's a close fight.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:43 pm 

They're about equal really. Gambling has a few tracks that don't stack up to the others in "Kill It" and maybe "The Saints" or "Dreambound," and Straight Out of Hell has "Hold Me In Your Arms" and "Wanna Be God." But both albums, aside from a few slightly weaker songs, pretty much slay. Not as good as Dark Ride or Keepers III though. ;)

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:54 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Gambling has a few tracks that don't stack up to the others in "Kill It" and maybe "The Saints" or "Dreambound,"

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:01 pm 

Eh, I like those songs. But they're not "As Long as I Fall," "Paint a New World," "IME," etc...

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:09 pm 

B-But "The Saints" is one of my favorite Helloween songs of all time, alongside "Guardians" and "Keeper of the Seven Keys"... :(

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:12 pm 

"King for 1000 Years" and "The Departed" for me. Love it when they get ambitious and epic.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:14 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
"King for 1000 Years" and "The Departed" for me. Love it when they get ambitious and epic.

"King for 1000 Years" is up there in my mind, too. Floating around somewhere amidst "I Want Out" and "Midnight Sun."

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:10 pm 

Aydross wrote:
mudrnudl wrote:
@LegendMaker
you are right with that typo of album - it is Thunderstorm. And actually I have listened to that album in a weak moment of mine if you know what I mean.
Anyway I forgot how "strong" is this forum with its users compared to the others. It would not be a challenge for you to name hundreds of bands like this.

I am quite unsure what to listen next now, of course I know almost every band you named.
I rather give you my favorite albums and than you will be able to see what my taste is like.
Actually I would like some tips in different areas:
1. album with legendary vocals (I am sure you know Kiske, Midnight, Heiman - long story short something like Lost Horizon - A Flame to the Ground Beneath)
2. cheesy album as catchy as hell (kind of Timeless Miracle or Keldian)
3. oldschool speed/power metal (maybe with sucky production) with screamy powerful clean vocal (something similar to Scanner - Hypertrace)
Now my taste:
From those well known bands I really enjoy Avantasia's both metal operas, Edguy's Mandrake, Gamma Ray's Land of the Free + No World Order, Helloween's both Keppers, Judas Priest Hell Bent for Leather, Sonata Arctica - Silence.
Here is the stuff which is less known and I like it:
http://i.imgur.com/PyqO4yg.png
Maybe I would add Emir Hot - Sevdah Metal album.
Here is my last.fm profile if it is not enough: http://www.last.fm/user/mudrnudl
Quite interesting is I cannot listen to Blind Guardian or Iron Maiden or Rhapsody whole albums. + I am really picky when it comes to female vocalists.
I am opened to any english lyrics (no problem with dark or even christian texts). And I have no problem with any origin of the band.
So what would you suggest me?

1.- Virgin Steele's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell pt.2.
2.- Twilightning's Delirium Veil or Royal Hunt's Paradox
3.- Cloven Hoof - A Sultan's ransom.

I still need to give some more spins to that Virgin Steele's album but it definitely has an unique singing there.
With that Twilightning's album you hit the head of the nail MAN! On the other hand that Royal Hunt's album is not my cup of tea even if the timbre of the vocalist is similar...
The last album is exactly the thing I was looking for and you nailed it again however I do not like it. I don't know why... I will give this album one more listening and then I will judge.
Thank you very much Aydross for your time and advices.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:39 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
But they're not "As Long as I Fall,"

Fank fuck fer that! Those Deris, euro-ballads are fucking terrible. Helloween never (ever) wrote good ballads, though.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:41 pm 

/me laughs at the Helloween and blasts actual good heavy/power metal (Crescent Shield, RIP Michael)

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:53 pm 

Eh, they never wrote 'Ride the Sky'. :P

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:01 pm 

I'd take just about anything Crescent Shield ever wrote over "Ride the Sky" actually.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:44 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
But they're not "As Long as I Fall,"

Fank fuck fer that! Those Deris, euro-ballads are fucking terrible. Helloween never (ever) wrote good ballads, though.

In the 90s they were pretty bad, like "Forever and One" or whatever, but "As Long as I Fall" is great. That one in particular is always enjoyable for me.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:47 pm 

"Phantoms of Death" is probably my favorite Helloween song.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:13 am 

Weee, my speed metal article is nearing completion!

Just wrote blurbs for Under Jolly Roger, World Circus, Battalions of Fear, and Nosferatu. It's so hard to focus on "PURE" speed metal, so there's obviously a ton of speed/thrash, speed/power etc. But at this point IDGAF.

What's some good '90s speed? So far I've got:

Forte - Stranger than Fiction
Grave Digger - Excalibur
Iron Savior - Unification
Rage - Trapped
Running Wild - Black Hand Inn
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

StillDeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:43 am 

Impellitteri-eye of the hurricane, although it is more neo-shred than speed.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:32 pm 

Man, this thread has a life of its own. Leave it a couple of days, you get a couple pages. :D

@mudrnudl: Let me know if any of the stuff I suggested floats your boat. Otherwise, well, I tried. I hope you find stuff you like.

Empyreal wrote:
You might dig songs like "Leviathan" or "Slaughter of Souls" - haven't heard the album in a few months, but I don't remember any odd vocal intrusions - just killer old school style vocal hooks. I know the album had a few growling parts and all but eh, didn't distract me I guess. :p

Hey, I do dig those songs. "Leviathan" shares a tidbit of pre-chorus vocal line with Edguy's "Mysteria", but I guess that club is quite large and predates both songs. The shitty vocal effects I was referring to can be found here, there, again here or there. Other than that, yeah, I do like that stuff. I guess it's an entirely separate realm from power metal or most metal I'm generally into, in my eyes. A realm that primarily attracts the comic-book-reading, contemplative and hopeful child in me, and where other highlights are Angra's Holy Land, Evanescence's 'Fallen', a number of NightWish songs, Visions Of Atlantis and a lot of actual pop, starting with the bulk of The Beatles' career. It's all cartoon-soundtrack material to me, but great stuff in and of itself. Comparing it to powerful metal makes it sound wimpy and silly by contrast, but folks shouldn't do that. Now, if only all those Santa Chorus bands would take that hint and actually choose between the power metal of their intro and verses and the kids music of their choruses and ballads, I would be very grateful. :)

What's your take on VOA, by the way? Just curious. I'm not as convinced by their early stuff, but 'Trinity' I can loop for hours in the background and get a great positive vibe and energy from, especially at work. Great metalized kids music.

MARSDUDE wrote:
Manilla Road have released a full track from Mysterium. It's the first song, "The Grey God Passes"

I'll address that one in the dedicated thread, too long for here I think.

HeWhoIsInTheWater wrote:
I really like the band Hollow, from Sweden, and would dig more music in that style. For reference:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Hollow/2540

Oh, so there are two of us?! Sweet! :metal: :D 'Architect of The Mind' is a masterpiece in my book, and everything before and after that was at least very good, with plenty of brilliant tracks. They have a pretty personal style and atmosphere, though. Mid-paced, progressive power songs with a focus on subtle-yet-acrobatic, highly emotional vocal melodies and a touching atmosphere of sadness, struggle and, occasionally, hope. Musically, the closest band I know is actually their primary influence: Lethal, especially 'Programmed' and 'Your Favorite God'. Other than that, some mid-period Jag Panzer does come close, especially on 'Chain of Command' and 'Mechanized Warfare'. NeverMore's debut, while not as remarkable songwriting wise, is also well worth checking out for the atmosphere and vocals. If you don't mind songs that literally repeat themselves twice or thrice in each track, then I'll also recommend Manticora, particularly 'The Black Circus, part I'. Tragedy Divine's only album also comes to mind and, to a lesser extent, its continuation in Spiral Tower's only album as well (sorry, no valid YT links for that one).

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:50 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
I'd take just about anything Crescent Shield ever wrote over "Ride the Sky" actually.

A mere 378 pages into the H/P/S thread and failsafeman reveals that he's not really a fan of Helloween! *gasp*

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:52 pm 

Well I do like the first album, it's only after that that I really start hating them. But I really don't think even early Helloween is the best that 80s German speed metal had to offer.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:50 pm 

yeah I've never been a huge fan of early Helloween and I LOVE German speed metal. But I'm putting the first two albums in my speed metal article regardless.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:40 am 

So this year I've been remedying a problem. I've been getting into lots of bands with female vocals. I'm starting with the big ones. You know what I mean. The type of poppy "gothic" or sympho-power ones like all those dutch ones. Simple and easy on the ears, right? Well, I'm doing Nightwish, too, and I have to tell it here. The music brought by the instruments isn't bad (I'm listening to Century Child), but what the FUCK is up with those vocals? Some of the most phoney "singing" I've ever heard. So fake as shit. Kimberly Goss and Liv Kristine, as plastic as they are, can't top Tarja as the most off-key sounding female ex-metal vocalist.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:20 am 

I can't believe that Oblivion (yes, the USPM demo band) have reformed. Holy shit. They're only a few hours away from me in Tampa, too, so if they play a live show, I could very well go to it. That's kind of unreal.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:18 am 

Wooooooooooooooo, new Enforcer is out, and the first track is nutty balls to the wall speed metal. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album :D

edit: second song too! If the whole album is like this, may be looking at one of the best post-2000 speed metal albums. It's like pre-Dickinson Iron Maiden meets speed metal!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:04 pm 

The new Manilla Road is very good. It's got a lot of the traits of their newer albums (an all-acoustic number, more sing-along type parts, more midpaced sort of riffs), but also a lot of elements of the 80s, too, with the shorter song lengths and a lot of more straight-ahead riff monster tunes, like something off of The Deluge. The best ones are the ones with Mark singing, which are usually the slower ones - "Battle of Bonchester Bridge" and "The Fountain," along with the monster epic title track. That's just class.

I can tell a few songs here will have to grow on me, but overall I really like this, good first impression, especially since I wasn't expecting much more than a 'solid' album. Instead I got a mix of new and classic MR that shows that they're still as relevant today as in the 80s for making cult, so-retro-it's-new-again heavy metal. They're the masters of their craft and it shows on Mysterium.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:19 pm 

You're getting my hopes up, Emp. I'm sure Mysterium will rule.

And whoever else has Mysterium already, put the lyrics up. Please!

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:20 pm 

Fuck man, don't make me drool over here. Can't wait until I get my hands on a copy of that thing.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:09 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Fuck man, don't make me drool over here. Can't wait until I get my hands on a copy of that thing.

Too late. :drool:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:23 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The new Manilla Road is very good. It's got a lot of the traits of their newer albums (an all-acoustic number, more sing-along type parts, more midpaced sort of riffs), but also a lot of elements of the 80s, too, with the shorter song lengths and a lot of more straight-ahead riff monster tunes, like something off of The Deluge. The best ones are the ones with Mark singing, which are usually the slower ones - "Battle of Bonchester Bridge" and "The Fountain," along with the monster epic title track. That's just class.

I can tell a few songs here will have to grow on me, but overall I really like this, good first impression, especially since I wasn't expecting much more than a 'solid' album. Instead I got a mix of new and classic MR that shows that they're still as relevant today as in the 80s for making cult, so-retro-it's-new-again heavy metal. They're the masters of their craft and it shows on Mysterium.

I mostly agree with this, I don't like it as much as Playground of the Damned so far but I've only listened to it a few times since I got it yesterday. It still has room to grow on me, but I doubt it'll become one of my favorites among their discography. However, it is very solid and enjoyable, definitely not at the bottom of the pile of their albums either. "Battle of Bonchester Bridge" is so far my favorite. Overall I'm satisfied with its quality, but not overjoyed.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:21 pm 

The new Holy Grail is quite bad. Some of the lamest production for heavy metal wrapping up "modern" and shreddy blandness.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:45 pm 

SolstafirAquilaria wrote:
I can't believe that Oblivion (yes, the USPM demo band) have reformed. Holy shit. They're only a few hours away from me in Tampa, too, so if they play a live show, I could very well go to it. That's kind of unreal.

Wow that's crazy. Would love to get a cleaned up/remastered compilation of their material. Or maybe even new stuff? I wonder how Patrick sounds today.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:45 am 

I'm liking Mysterium a lot better than Playground.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:41 am 

Xeogred wrote:
SolstafirAquilaria wrote:

Wow that's crazy. Would love to get a cleaned up/remastered compilation of their material. Or maybe even new stuff? I wonder how Patrick sounds today.

Crazy, indeed. Such a compilation would be sweet. Patrick's still been singing at least in local cover bands, from what I think I saw on the facebook page, so that's promising!

Mysterium is... alright. I think it really upsets me how little Mark himself sings on it, and that lessens my enjoyment a whole lot. I enjoy it, but it's certainly not a favorite.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:09 pm 

I think my judgment on Mysterium is more or less the same judgment I passed on the last two Shelton albums; good but unspectacular. "The Grey God Passes", "Battle of Bonchester Hill", and "Hermitage" are some of the choicest cuts on the album, while others aren't quite as good, such as the title track, which I haven't taken much of a liking to. Also, not really sure what Mark was thinking with "The Fountain"...sounds like a mediocre pop song. Still, it's definitely solid enough, "Hermitage" especially gets better with each listen.

I've been skimming over albums I haven't listened to in awhile, Powers Court's Nine Kinds of Hell and Overlorde's Return of the Snow Giant both seem like pretty good stuff. Nothing excellent, but certainly worthwhile, at least. Powers Court is like Iced Earth's Burnt Offerings except with riffs that don't suck, a penchant for repetition and long songs, and fantastically over-the-top vocal lines. Definitely something I need to check out a bit more. Overlorde's full-length, is, surprisingly, actually better than its EP from the 80s, which was pretty mediocre. The songwriting is a lot more mature, and the vocalist sounds like a crazed Harry Conklin at his prime. Cool stuff. Anybody else have thoughts on these two?

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:19 pm 

I honestly can't say I care much for any of Overlorde, the EP or the new album. It was alright for awhile, but didn't really stick with me.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:30 pm 

I'd recommend trying the new album again. It could be that it won't stick that long, but this stuff sound pretty excellent at the moment. I'm thoroughly impressed by it, although I guess to judge by the reviews it's pretty well-respected. It could just be a difference of opinion, of course, but I can't see what's not to like about it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:49 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Also, not really sure what Mark was thinking with "The Fountain"...sounds like a mediocre pop song.

That song is probably the most inspired moment on the album. Such a great, emotional song.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:52 pm 

I thought it was a pretty great ballad and one of the best moments of the albu (an underwhelming one) and yeah, nothing "pop" about it.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:55 am 

Haha yeah, definitely not pop. If anything it's folk. Shelton fiddled around with folk music during Manilla Road's hiatus and at various times during their career if I'm not mistaken.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 375, 376, 377, 378, 379, 380, 381 ... 624  Next