Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:36 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:

On another note, FUCK Osmose and their copy protected cds. Assholes.

Hey there, did you ever get around to checking 'Nephelium' out? We had a discussion several pages ago. nephelium.bandcamp.com

lord_ghengis wrote:
As for Veracs' Abyssal hate, I agree the debut is a messy riff salad, although I did a fair.few of the riffs, I prefer the Portal worship of the new one over it.

Ah, it is a bit messy and inconsistent in terms of the riffs but I don't mind it. I can't seem to like the new album too much probably because Portal > Portal Worship?

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:43 am 

Subrick wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViSZI6UJEUQ

This on the other hand trumps everything Attack Attack have ever done in terms of total face rape disguised as music.

I know I'm late to the party but this literally made my gag reflex go off and I think I have brain cancer now
You ruined my life, Subrick. I will never be the same.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:02 am 

As said, it doesn't piss me off so much as it makes me sit in complete bewilderment that stuff that cut and glued together can be created. It seriously sounds at the beginning like 7 different songs are being played at the same time by each individual band member.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:29 am 

Harry Belafonte's incredibly diverse discography is always a treat to listen to. Most folks know his calypso stuff, but his blues, soul and folk albums are incredible as well. His voice is just so damn smooth, and the arrangements are always lush and make for gorgeous listening. He could pull off any style of music. One of his albums, O Lord What A Morning, has a lot of old Negro spirituals on it and it is positively moving, especially considering the fucking ridiculous social situation of the country at the time that album was put out. The song O Freedom will move a man to tears. But I'd say his best album is either the intimate Quiet Room, which is a MUST for anybody looking for a good album to chill out to on a rainy Sunday afternoon, or Belafonte, which is so damn theatrical. Take My Mother Home is powerfully frightening.

If I listen to one song by Belafonte, I can't help but cycle through five or six of his albums afterwards. Same thing for Jethro Tull, Alexander Scriabin and Tom Waits.

Speaking of Tom Waits, how is Bad As Me faring with everybody now that we've had some time to marinate on it? Like most of his albums, I think it is lined with gold and studded with jewels, but there are a few songs on it that are pretty sub-standard. Last Leaf on the Tree, while I appreciate the lyrics, always bugs me. But goddammit if Chicago, Face to the Highway and Hell Broke Luce aren't classics on par with stuff from his best albums. Speaking of which, I was thinking about what the hell my favorite Waits albums are, and I'd probably have to say either Alice, Blue Valentine, or Blood Money.

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:28 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Eh, one more for the road.

Spoiler: show

And a couple good ones to wash out the taste.

I actually like Liturgy. :oh shit:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:53 pm 

Eh, as long as you aren't a pretentious hipster douchebag like the people in the band I've no problem with it. :P

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:59 pm 

I've only heard Aesthetica, but the music itself is just boring to me. It seems like he tries really hard to hype it up with the pseudo-philosophical drivel, but honestly the music is just inoffensive "post"-black stuff. There are two interlude sort of track on that album that are utterly ridiculous, though.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:39 pm 

I really like that Generation song...

The really bad songs are the ones that have bicycle bell riffs and off time drumming because the drummer can't fill smoothly. Helix Skull or whatever it is is the absolute worst interlude ever.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:45 pm 

From Sepulchral:

A news many were waiting for :

Gris - À l'Âme Enflammée ... l'Âme Constellée
Sombres Forêts - La Mort du Soleil
June 10th, 2013
:headbang: :bow: :love: :beer:

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:34 pm 

My mom got a new dog, a black lab, so I got to meet him for the first time as I'm visiting home for a week. She had to put him on a special diet because he's malnourished on account of the past owner only feeding him as much as she fed her cocker spaniel. :nono: How can someone be so ignorant?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:43 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
My mom got a new dog, a black lab, so I got to meet him for the first time as I'm visiting home for a week. She had to put him on a special diet because he's malnourished on account of the past owner only feeding him as much as she fed her cocker spaniel. :nono: How can someone be so ignorant?

That's downright stupidity. Such people need a 101 course on taking care of pets or better yet...shouldn't keep pets.

Labs especially need to be fed well and exercised a lot. I had a black lab in the 90s. Named him 'Wally'.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:52 pm 

If I ever meet someone who abused animals, I would probably hit them. I would hit them really hard in the genitals, hopefully hard enough to cause those genitals to break, and possibly severe internal bleeding that leads to death. I'd use whatever was available to me to accomplish this vigilante act - axe, sword, thick branch, sledgehammer, regular hammer, Mjolnir, lead pipe, rusty rake, vacuum cleaner, baseball bat, hockey stick, broken whisky bottle, the kitchen sink, a giant pinchy crab, a jeep or my left foot.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:57 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
If I ever meet someone who abused animals, I would probably hit them. I would hit them really hard in the genitals, hopefully hard enough to cause those genitals to break, and possibly severe internal bleeding that leads to death. I'd use whatever was available to me to accomplish this vigilante act - axe, sword, thick branch, sledgehammer, regular hammer, Mjolnir, lead pipe, rusty rake, vacuum cleaner, baseball bat, hockey stick, broken whisky bottle, the kitchen sink, a giant pinchy crab, a jeep or my left foot.

I agree with you. And in other news, you missed the video of the mantis I posted few pages ago. It was primarily directed at you. Here it is again:

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:01 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:

Agreed. How the hell does someone hurt a defenseless animal? It's just so sad.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:05 pm 

*spend three hours writing review for SputnikMusic*

*Sputnik decides to be a douche and log me out when I submit*

*site doesn't save the review, thus forcing me to try to remember everything that I wrote and re-type it*

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:17 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:

That's downright stupidity. Such people need a 101 course on taking care of pets or better yet...shouldn't keep pets.

Labs especially need to be fed well and exercised a lot. I had a black lab in the 90s. Named him 'Wally'.

My family has always had labs; when I was born we had a 110-pound yellow lab appropriately named "Biff." We've also had a few border collies, which started after we adopted a border collie/greyhound mix when I was in middle school. She had the prey drive and speed of a greyhound with the herding instinct of a border collie, so we'd usually just let her go nuts in our backyard (a ten acre field) alongside agility courses since she didn't enjoy playing fetch like our labs.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:23 pm 

Subrick wrote:
*spend three hours writing review for SputnikMusic*

*Sputnik decides to be a douche and log me out when I submit*

*site doesn't save the review, thus forcing me to try to remember everything that I wrote and re-type it*

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

Firefox would've let you keep it if you pressed the Back button. :<

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:39 pm 

That's your own fault, use a text software.

I'm doing my first internship in April, I met the teacher today, he has dreads and he's giving African percussions classes. He probably smokes pot, I'm gonna ask him at the end of the internship juuuuuuuust to be sure!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:42 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
That's your own fault, use a text software.

Yeah. I've only written one review that's been accepted, but for the online classes I take I always use Word before I submit anything.

Pot smoking professors are the best. My music app teacher slipped one day that he smokes and then had to clarify he has a medical card :lol: I mean it was kind of obvious though. The first day of class he had "Dazed and Confused" blaring at full volume on his speakers.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:08 pm 

Normally when I do album reviews I do them in MA's text box that autosaves, but since the band I did the review for was only on Sputnik, I forgot to copy the review before submitting. I rewrote it, but it's a bit less detailed than what I originally wrote.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:23 pm 

The king of the end users has a software recommendation for any situation: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:26 pm 

I'm a Chrome user, so if there's a version of that for Chrome I'd willingly take it.

EDIT: Huzzah! There is.

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:29 pm 

Rad. I've had a review all written out and lost it due to a freak accident. Been too disappointed to write another but I'll get that Chrome app and try my hand at it again.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:35 pm 

The very first review I ever tried writing that happened to me actually. Same site too. Apparently after staying on the textbox page too long the session times out and it will log you out. I spent 3 hours writing that review so it definitely happened to me.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:37 pm 

Yeah, you can actually do so much more with Chrome. You can save sessions/tabs...and open them from another pc and voila, the same tabs open up.

Anyway, I'm a bit hungry right now. Maybe I could try some...octopizza pie!

The entire recipe is on Instructables:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Octopiz ... /?ALLSTEPS

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:40 pm 

In terms of food, I made my first omelette ever this morning. Egg, tomato, green pepper, and bacon. It was pretty damn good, and really damn big since I used four eggs and the biggest frying pan of the three we have in the house. Looked fucking ugly, but tasted so sweet.

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:41 pm 

I always find it so weird when people say 'pizza pie'. I understand it's thing that comes from the states, in Canada we just call them pizzas.

That omelette sounds delicious. Damn I love omelettes.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:43 pm 

I've never called them "pizza pies", nor have I ever met anyone that's called it a "pizza pie".

Also, the omelette and its contents were pretty much what I have for breakfast whenever I make it, minus waffles/pancakes and hash patties.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:44 pm 

Why is there no calamari on that pizza?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:47 pm 

We call deep dish pizza "pies" here in Chicago and I'll bet they do it in New York too but I'm not sure as I've never been there. And that octo-pizza looks absolutely delicious!

Azmodes wrote:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:51 pm 

Eh, some do some don't up here. I live in Connecticut and some of the New York transplants say it one way, some the other, some don't care as long as they get their pizza.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:55 pm 

Yeah that's about how I feel too, I don't actually know any body who says "pie" but they use it in commercials and on bill boards and shit like that.

Azmodes wrote:

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:01 pm 

We call um deep dish down here. Order a pizza pie here and people will give you "dafuq" looks.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:04 pm 

FrizzySkernip wrote:
I always find it so weird when people say 'pizza pie'.

Haha, my thoughts exactly. It was always just 'pizza' to me. I was just reiterating what I saw in the article :)

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:05 pm 

Dare I ask if there's any Canadian pizza variant? I know I'd kill for a poutine pizza.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:06 pm 

All this talk about pizza is making me hungry. I guess i had better just go ahead and order a deep dish cause there isn't any way I'm eating anything other than pizza tonight now. I think the "pie" thing comes from the amount of sauce on them it is almost like a pie kinda sorta.

Azmodes wrote:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:08 pm 

What I want right now is a literal pizza pie, as in a literal pie made of pizza ingredients. Fuck you all for talking about delicious pizza when I'm about to go to bed.

Last edited by inhumanist on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:09 pm 

I actually kinda prefer Chicago style to New York style despite being from Connecticut. New York pizza is great when done right, but Unos deep dish pizzas are the absolute bomb.

Also, Unos has quite possibly the greatest food creation ever: deep dish pizza skins stuffed with mashed potatoes and covered with bacon bits, cheddar cheese, and sour cream.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:10 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
What I want right now is a literal pizza pie, as in a literal pie made of pizza ingredients. Fuck you all for talking about delicious pizza when I'm about to go to bed.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:11 pm 

Yep. I need this.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 779, 780, 781, 782, 783, 784, 785 ... 827  Next