Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:29 pm 

I think V/H/S is better, but yeah, Trick r Treat is a lot of fun. It loses steam in the second half though, somewhere after that story with the ghost kids in the lake. The last one with the old man in the house is pretty dull. But it starts off with so much energy and it's just so crude and irreverent that I have fun with it anyway.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:48 pm 

Yeah but it closes everything perfectly by connecting it to the ghost one. The only thing that disappointed me was that I was expecting Anna Paquin and her hot friends to be a coven of witches but instead we got
Spoiler: show
werewolves (complete with fucked up, skin ripping transformation).

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:55 pm 

It does close everything, but eh, it's just a weak-ass story that didn't make sense that much. Like for some reason it always bugged me that the old man could pick up that gun and shoot so well, and then handle the phone just fine, after his hands were cut up to all hell by broken glass. Mostly I just found it boring though. And that fucking little kid with the bag over his head - I wanna know who that was! We need a sequel.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:06 pm 

I thought it was pretty clear what he was. His face was like a messed up jack o lantern and he was basically the spirit of halloween. Hence referred to as Sam in the credits (short for samhain). He left Brian Cox alone when he gave him candy.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:11 pm 

Yeah Emp, he's Samhain, the spirit of Halloween, making sure that everyone respects the holiday's traditions, or else..... :evil:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:16 pm 

I guess. Pretty flimsy explanation, especially when most of the movie is so clear and straightforward about exactly what it is, but I can buy it. I pretty much guessed as much, but I suppose I just would have liked a better story around that kid. Wishful thinking I suppose.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:31 am 

Well that movie was crap, after all...

Speaking of which, just took in the glory of Dredd and was amused by its tepid turdliness. For such a straightforward concept you'd think there wouldn't be very many ways to fuck it up, but they found plenty. Terrible writing, boring characters, zero tension, hardly any imagination put into the action sequences apart from the slo-mo aspect. When you're making an action movie you should probably hire people that are good at directing and writing action movies to make it. That's pretty much what I took away from this.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:45 am 

Trick R Treat was crap? So...what movies DO you like, Starmere old buddy? :p

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:57 am 

I quite enjoyed Trick R Treat, though it wasn't quite as good as I expected it to be after seeing various scenes floating around the net. It did pull off the anthology concept very well, though, somehow creating something of a cohesive overall impression while letting each of the stories develop in a satisfactory manner. I quite like that I have an image or atmosphere in mind every time I hear the name, which doesn't always happen with those collections.

I write (and say, actually) 'quite' a lot. Must break that habit.

On the other hand, I did finally see Django Unchained. Hooooly... Can't really put my thoughts into words that aren't superlatives right now, but I've gotta say that I was absolutely blown away; exceeded every single one of my expectations.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:09 am 

@Necroticism Well recently I finally watched Andrei Rublev all the way through, and that was pretty great. Also saw Departures, that Japanese drama that won the Best Foreign Film Oscar a few years ago, which was neat. I dunno...plenty of things. I've been watching a lot more TV shows recently than film, though.

I will give you one, though. Everyone here needs to see Der Freie Wille. Seriously one of the best films I've seen in the last ten years. So good. :)

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:11 am 

Oh...I see...one of THOSE guys :lol:
Whatever gets you hard, mate.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:22 am 

:roll: Sorry, I should've said Robot Jox.

EDIT: :lol: I just noticed that your e-mail is Hellraiser_lover. And that you're 20. I kinda like Hellraiser. And Hellraiser 2.

Last edited by Under_Starmere on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:24 am 

I'm just not huge into super foreign movies, baby.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:27 am 

Can we agree on Jackie Chan, at least?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:29 am 

Of course! And I like quite a few french and german films. But no Japanese ones, I'm afraid. At least none that immediately spring to mind.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:30 am 

Check out The Twilight Samurai.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:40 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:

EDIT: :lol: I just noticed that your e-mail is Hellraiser_lover. And that you're 20. I kinda like Hellraiser. And Hellraiser 2.

Hahaha, I made that when I was 13 and never bothered to change it as my main email cause Hellraiser is indeed awesome. Although those two are the only ones any sane person really needs.
And yes, I AM 20. What are you implying? :guns:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:54 am 

I LOVE the first Hellraiser movie. It's one of my favorite horror films of the 80s. Probably why I just completely wanted to punch the latest, Doug Bradley-less one in the face.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:32 am 

Hellraiser is, indeed, excellent. Haven't even seen the last one - decided not to ruin the memories.

Necroticism174 wrote:
But no Japanese ones, I'm afraid. At least none that immediately spring to mind.

:nono: Not even Seven Samurai?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:32 am 

He's seen Seven Psychopaths; isn't that pretty much the same thing? :-P

Has anyone here watched The Paperboy or Killer Joe? Along with the excellent Lawless, my faith in American-financed cinema is pretty much restored.

And Dredd was indeed ass. Not sure why people thought it would be good, given that it was coming from the writer of the execrable novel on which Danny Boyle's equally execrable "The Beach" was based and the director of Rashomon's ADD riddled 2nd amendment enamored black sheep second cousin twice removed absolute fucking bullshit of a wannabe action movie "Vantage Point." If people really want a fun throwback to the no-nonsense action flicks of the 80's and early 90's, just pickup the unrated cut of Lockout. It's still pretty idiotic (packed with enough plotholes to serve as a colander--although still way less than Looper, which was basically just one ginormous circular hole of a movie), but at least it knows it's fucking stupid and runs with it in a highly amusing fashion.

And Guy Pearce is spectacularly good, as he always is. One of the very, very few top-level Hollywood actors I have boundless respect for. He can literally do anything. Yes. Literally.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:10 am 

Calusari wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:
But no Japanese ones, I'm afraid. At least none that immediately spring to mind.

:nono: Not even Seven Samurai?

That was the first rec that came to mind, honestly...but, you know... it's in black and white. :roll: God I love Kurosawa. Actually, Necro, watch Versus, you'll love it ;) Japanese cinema at its absolute finest...

DD, have you seen Der Freie Wille? Not to sound like some raving fanboy, but I seriously love it and I thought you might dig it as well. As far as existential/nihilistic contemporary films go, it's by far one of the finest I've seen. Aaaand I promise to stop plugging it as of.....now.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:41 am 

I have not! But I can already tell I'll enjoy it. I'll check it out ASAP.

While we're on the subject of German drama, have you seen Revanche. That one might be my pick of the decade; really can't sing its praises enough. Amazing movie. Götz Spielmann is the next Tarkovsky.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:25 pm 

darkeningday wrote:

While we're on the subject of German drama, have you seen Revanche. That one might be my pick of the decade; really can't sing its praises enough. Amazing movie. Götz Spielmann is the next Tarkovsky.

I remember finding Revanche OK. Didn't leave much of an impression. Spielmann's style reminds me of Jacques Audiard but not as elegant.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:29 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
He's seen Seven Psychopaths; isn't that pretty much the same thing? :-P

Has anyone here watched The Paperboy or Killer Joe? Along with the excellent Lawless, my faith in American-financed cinema is pretty much restored.

I got these 2 movies recently, they're on my ps3, I'm gonna watch them soon, I'll let you know my opinion. And indeed, Lawless was pretty fucking awesome and Pearce was superb.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:30 pm 

I'll have you know that I like black and white!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:30 pm 

Killer Joe is great. Haven't seen The Paperboy, but the synopsis caught my eye. I'll definitely have to check that out too.

MEGANICK89
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:38 pm 

Hellraiser III is cool because Armored Saint is in it...but that's about the only good thing. The second one is the best though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:39 pm 

I hated the second Hellraiser movie. :lol: No idea it had so many fans here. I mean I knew Necro liked it but didn't think anyone else would have...haha.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:54 pm 

Hell on Earth was a fucking travesty, but a really funny travesty. Almost everything about that movie is facepalm worthy. ''TIME FOR YOUR CLOSEUP!''

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:40 pm 

Riffs wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

I remember finding Revanche OK. Didn't leave much of an impression. Spielmann's style reminds me of Jacques Audiard but not as elegant.

I enjoyed Read My Lips quite a bit, but A Prophet verged on the terrible. Didn't see much similarity between the two director's styles.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:07 pm 

I didn't bother seeing Lawless because Shia LaBeouf has ruined every movie I've seen him in. This one's actually good?

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:14 pm 

I did see Revanche, probably because I saw you rec it here, dd. It was good! I liked it a lot. Would like to check out some of the director's other material, now that you mention it.

For some reason I haven't gotten around to looking into Bela Tarr yet. Should do so. And more Sokurov.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:24 pm 

Razakel wrote:
I didn't bother seeing Lawless because Shia LaBeouf has ruined every movie I've seen him in. This one's actually good?

Didn't see A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints either, I'm guessing? While I enjoyed Lawless more, Guide was hardly what I'd call a bad film. Very reminiscent of early Scorsese and the films of the Italian neorealism movement. :)

In the hands of the right director, Shia's a decent enough muse. I actually find him generally more palatable than Christian Bale.

Glad you enjoyed it, U_S! Other great recent German titles are Maren Ade's Everyone Else and Fatih Akin's The Edge of Heaven (which I liked far more than the overrated Head-On.) I THINK both of those are on Netflix, but I could be mistaken.

Empyreal wrote:
Killer Joe is great.

What did you think of Bug, Emp? It didn't do much for me the one time I saw it, but I enjoyed Killer Joe so much, I may be willing to give it a second go...

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:12 pm 

Amazing Spiderman was actually pretty good! I really didn't want to bother with it because of the whole reimagining of a movie that isn't even ten years old thing but damned if it wasn't much better than the Tobie Maguire one. I was much more emotionally invested in the characters, and they did a much better job in portraying Peter Parker much closer to the comics with all the wisecracking. The action had this sense of urgency and it really illustrated how inexperienced Parker was and the Lizard was a great choice of villain. I'm actually interested in the inevitable sequel now.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:15 pm 

I loved The Amazing Spider Man. Such a fun movie and both Peter and Gwen are two of the most ridiculously likeable movie characters I've seen in quite a while.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:19 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Of course! And I like quite a few french and german films. But no Japanese ones, I'm afraid. At least none that immediately spring to mind.

You need to watch Survive Style 5+.
Everyone does for that matter.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:19 pm 

I thought Bug was great, darkeningday. Just a really creepy, paranoid mind ride. Michael Shannon was excellent in it. Dude has an unsettling face.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:22 pm 

I tried to watch Sinister the other day. I fell asleep during it because it was 2:00 AM, but from the 40 or so minutes of it that I did watch I was really not impressed. It felt very rushed despite still have an hour left, the acting wasn't very believable, and even the 16mm scenes that I heard so much about were not very frightening or disturbing. Perhaps if it didn't have the jump scare music underneath it the whole time maybe it would've been more effective, but from what I saw it just looked very amateur.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:34 pm 

Experience has taught me not to bother starting films at late hours if I'm very tired...being drowsy fucks up a film's pacing and pretty much everything else. There's a bunch of good movies out there I got bad first impressions of because I was tired on the first viewing.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:10 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I thought Bug was great, darkeningday. Just a really creepy, paranoid mind ride. Michael Shannon was excellent in it. Dude has an unsettling face.

Yeah, the acting was solid. Ashley Judd is one of a very small number of Star Trek veterans who actually made it pretty well in the "real" acting world. But what about Bug was particularly "ridey," Necro? Seemed pretty one note from beginning to end, like it got trapped in its own claustrophobic first act and never managed to break free. I have a feeling it would have worked far better on the stage than the screen, though, so I'm not entirely sure there's anything William Friedkin could have done to fix it. That said, Scott Thomas's sublime Anacardium (which featured a similar set of aesthetics, mood and single-location setting) transitioned elegantly from the stage to the screen, so maybe the blame really did lie at the feet of the director.

Anyway, you'd do best check out Killer Joe, Necro. Loved every second of it, and I have a sneaking suspicion you would too. :)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 380, 381, 382, 383, 384, 385, 386 ... 818  Next