Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
juusokult
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:17 am 

Jason Roeder (Neurosis) - His drumming is really heavy and and I dig the tribal rhytms a lot. Also it's amazing how much he can do with a four piece set.

Proscriptor McGovern (Absu) - The best extreme metal drummer in my opinion. The fills and progressive drum patterns are just brilliant. Also the middle eastern inspired drum patterns on Melechesh albums are really great.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:25 pm 

Nicko McBrain. When you hear him playing, you know it's him. He has a genuinely unique sound, and it's awesome.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:03 pm 

Misfit74 wrote:
Krzysztof Saran (Deivos)

Speaking of unorthodox Polish technical death metal drummers, Marcin Golebiewski from Yattering had a quite unique style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V6bdp7pQJc

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:20 pm 

Is Nils Fjellström well known? He might be underrated in the speed/technique-category.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkd4cLSFJDc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Nvz2N-bpY

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:36 pm 

Well he is Dark Funeral's drummer and is very well regarded in the extreme drumming community for being basically a human drum machine, so I'd say he has a fairly decent level of notoriety.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:59 pm 

Ardraos of Sühnopfer. He has a very melodic, technical style of drumming that varies from the black metal standard without generating this 'experimental for the sake of it' vibe. This is particularly clear on his "Nos sombres chapelles" album. He also has a talent from writing songs that show off his drumming skill without the composition as a whole feeling convoluted or disjointed. I was very glad to hear that he is handling the drums on the new Peste Noire album.

Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhBZp62nLXw

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:03 pm 

Not metal per se, but Tool's drummer is a monster behind the kit.

Deep purple's Ian is one of the best drummers of all time, an underrated one, you could say.

zahgurim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:00 am 

I recall there was a similar thread a while back, and since some of my favorites have already been mentioned (Carl-Michael Eide!), I'll throw in Master's Hammer including their entire career. From Valenta, to the programmed drums, and most recently with Jan Kapák from Czech gods Avenger. It's all so very distinctive and with the addition of the timpani from Silenthell, there's really not much like it out there.
So awesome. Also Cazz 'The Black Lourde Of Crucifixion' Grant, especially his work with Grand Belial's Key I think is criminally underrated. Sure, he's not the most technically proficient, but when did that matter? His drum beats were always a bit bizarre, and sometimes sounded like they were about to fall apart, but that's what makes them so special and adds a twisted feel to his work. Honorable mention to Thomas Tannenberger from Abigor. This guy's just about untouchable with his combination of insane speed, precision, crazy cymbal and tom work, etc. Also criminally underrated in my opinion.

Necronipple
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:18 pm 

I seem to be in the minority, but I really like Asgeir Mickelson. His drumming for Borknagar and Spiral Architect was excellent.

Oblivion_Gene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:27 pm 

juusokult wrote:
Proscriptor McGovern (Absu) - The best extreme metal drummer in my opinion. The fills and progressive drum patterns are just brilliant. Also the middle eastern inspired drum patterns on Melechesh albums are really great.

Seconding this. Proscriptor rules.

cultur3shock
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:59 pm 

Dino Sommese of ASUNDER / DYSTOPIA / GHOUL is number one!! :) Excellent, very heart-felt and human style of drumming. Also absolutely cool dude, I met him personally on his European tour with NOOTHGRUSH in Leipzig :)

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:43 pm 

Aydross wrote:
Not metal per se, but Tool's drummer is a monster behind the kit.

Danny Carey is an absolutely spectacular drummer. One of the best ever. And apparently he's also into the occult too, which makes him even more bad ass.

Ranur5555
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:34 am 

You can say what you want about Deathspell Omega, but their drummer is absolutely inhuman. His/her work on Chaining the Katechon is great!

Greg Fox of Liturgy is also good. Even though the idea about "burst beats" instead of "blast beats" and all that is kinda stupid, he is great at working in varying dynamic spectrums. I especially enjoy his drumming on their Aesthetica-album.

Some other favorites include Hellhammer, Etienne Gallo from Augury, Sean Reinert, Joe Fletcher of Esoteric and Dave Witte.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:47 pm 

A bunch of my favorites (I don't really believe in "bests lists") are:

Dave Lombardo

A pioneer. Forged his own unique style that captures the old school vibe yet remains relevant to this day. Surprisingly versatile.

Gene Hoglan

My favorite drumming performance on an album remains Death's Symbolic. Pure fucking eargasm. Has become somewhat of a mercenary since becoming a "rent-a-drummer" guy and puts less heart and thoughts in recent performances, unfortunately. But still a technical and physical master.

Bill Ward

While not as revered as Tony Iommi, he is pretty much as important to heavy metal. Inimitable, as a succession of comparatively bland Black Sabbath drummers has proven.

Les Binks

A really skilled, colorful and creative metal drummer who played on a Judas Priest-era that is often misunderstood. When Priest changed for creepy Holland, they probably unknowingly contributed to the later power metal movement becoming a lot blander and wussy than it would have otherwise been.

Bobby Jarzombek

That guy is a fucking BEAST. Leaves most modern metal drummers in the dust.

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:31 pm 

I seriously can't believe no one has mentioned either

Romain Goulon

Hannes Grossmann

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:33 pm 

Riffs, you forgot Angelo Sasso, he's awesome.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:35 pm 

Steve Shelton deserves a mention here. Confessor were one of the first bands I checked out when I started digging past the first layer of well-known doom bands. Scott Jeffreys is a standout singer without question, a clash of styles on paper that would turn some heads, but Shelton's performances were what took all of their songs to that next level. This is more evident on the debut than their follow-up, but nothing he's done is half-hearted or out of place. Just a unique and interesting take on a genre that hadn't seen anything like what they'd done at the time and really, not much like it since to my ears. I'd really like to hear more from him in another project if Confessor's not interested in recording new material.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:13 pm 

Necronipple wrote:
I seem to be in the minority, but I really like Asgeir Mickelson. His drumming for Borknagar and Spiral Architect was excellent.

He's incredible. Listen his work with Vintersorg and Ihsahn too!

I could name a lot of guys but it would be a way too long post, so I'll name this one: FUCKING DENNIS CHAMBERS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SYe9gktEVY

This song is from the Gary Willis (one of the best bassists EVER) solo album 'Bent'. Listen the groove, how powerful and busy the guy drives the song, how he get into the groove and his performance becomes more and more active and energetic. This guy is a true master of the drums.

Just for name some more, check these ones (I would like to elaborate, really):

-Joyo Mayer (master of drum & bass, if you need to work on the snare, listen to him).

-Terry Bozzio (the independence of each part of his body is amazing, his patterns and fills are beyond imagination).

-Phil Collins (yeah, the bald guy. Listen to Genesis and especially his work with Racer X - Where he played with the virtuoso bassist Percy Jones).

-Tony Royster Jr. Utterly complete drummer who can play whatever the fuck he wants.

And some another 'classics':

-Bill Bruford
-Steward Copeland
-Neil Peart
-Kirk Covington

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:18 pm 

Props to Riffs for mentioning Les Binks. He was freaking awesome. Has he done much outside of Judas Priest?
Speaking of Judas Priest drummers, Scott Travis is pretty good.
Dave Holland...yeah. I don't entirely hate him, but he dumbed down Judas Priest.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:18 am 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
Props to Riffs for mentioning Les Binks. He was freaking awesome. Has he done much outside of Judas Priest?

I couldn't find much but I haven't tried in years. It's too bad.

I think those two Priest albums weren't always the most flattering to him. They have their own idiosyncratic charm and they come at the end of an era, just as a new style of drumming and new production method (making drums a loud booming mess) became the norm with which listeners were educated. Les Binks was overlooked by many metal fans and possibly by musicians as well. I do think he was truly at his best live, where he could really show what he was capable of. The studio performances really showcase his skills but not his energy.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:20 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Riffs, you forgot Angelo Sasso, he's awesome.

Isn't that the one who may or may not have been a drum machine? :-P

Any song in particular you recommend?

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:48 am 

As much as Holland's simple style and post-Priest antics are rather anger inducing, he does have some good moments on songs like "Rapid Fire" and "Riding On The Wind." That said, Les Binks and Simon Phillips are still more interesting and Scott Travis is still my favorite. There's no way that the guy who drummed on Painkiller could ever not be a favorite...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2