Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iriny
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:23 am 

Who can advise some site where newly created band can promote its music? As we have founded our band, but we still do not know how to make it popular. One of my friends surfed the internet and came across very useful website http://artistecard.com. With the help of this site we created our EPK (Electronic Press Kit), FB and iPhone Apps. Maybe someone knows some other websites, something like reverbnation, something cheap and affordable.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:38 am 

Facebook ads. They're responsible for a lot of likes on my band, and that has translated into a few sales.

You don't really need more than a facebook and a bandcamp.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:29 pm 

Be sure to post in the promotional forum on this website too. There was a time period where I would listen to songs from about every band that put something up there and I realized that those bands would frequently end up getting reviewed by other users, so it is safe to infer that a fair number of people listen to the bands there.

Like Awblaster said Facebook and Bandcamp are useful, but its good to aim for a wide variety because people tend to use what they are familiar with and some people don't use certain websites (I almost never check out a band's Myspace, many people don't use Facebook.) Also look into soundcloud and last.fm.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:13 pm 

Apteronotus wrote:
Be sure to post in the promotional forum on this website too. There was a time period where I would listen to songs from about every band that put something up there and I realized that those bands would frequently end up getting reviewed by other users, so it is safe to infer that a fair number of people listen to the bands there.

Like Awblaster said Facebook and Bandcamp are useful, but its good to aim for a wide variety because people tend to use what they are familiar with and some people don't use certain websites (I almost never check out a band's Myspace, many people don't use Facebook.) Also look into soundcloud and last.fm.

Um... what?

Quote:
Facebook has over one billion active users

Yeah, only 1/7 of the population uses Facebook, that's like no one man.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:32 pm 

Depending on demographics, mostly age, roughly 20-30% of internet users are not on Facebook. If you want to act like me calling that 20-30% of internet users "many people" is such a stretch that it is equivalent to me saying no one uses the website, then that is your prerogative and I am not going to bother arguing about it.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:01 am 

How about less bitching about who does or doesn't use facebook.

All I've used is bandcamp and just recently started a facebook for the label it's all released under and it hasn't done much cause I hate the site.

Also could consider doing a tumblr a few friends of mine has used that modified to talk about their small labels as well. free and easy as well, been considering using it as well.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:09 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
How about less bitching about who does or doesn't use facebook.

All I've used is bandcamp and just recently started a facebook for the label it's all released under and it hasn't done much cause I hate the site.

Also could consider doing a tumblr a few friends of mine has used that modified to talk about their small labels as well. free and easy as well, been considering using it as well.

You should make your label's page a public page that can be liked rather than a personal page that requires friend requests.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:27 am 

SLK, if you don't mind sharing, I think it would be interesting to know which website generates the most sales for your label, that is if you keep track of such things.

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:34 pm 

the answer to this depends a lot on your band. Is it a live band, or studio only type project would help a lot with being able to promote and options you have.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:24 pm 

it's bandcamp that generates practically all sales. not even that storenvy does anything.. I've gotten literally one sale off that. everything else is through bandcamp. If I had less to do maybe I could get shit promoted more but i really don't have the patience to make it happen.

And I had no idea what the fuck it is with the facebook. I've never used one before so I don't know how to do any of that shit. I thought there was a public page, cause I have likes and shit with it.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:30 pm 

You could make a CDBaby account for your band as well, you get sales from iTUnes and Spotify plays too. I was actually rather surprised at how much we were getting from those 2 places(not much, but compared to my expectations of absolutely zero, it was something)

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:39 am 

I've released my stuff through cd baby. Only got two sales from it, but it's nice to have my music on itunes and amazon and whatnot, and to have my own barcode.

Reply to topic