Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:16 am
Posts: 10757
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:58 am 
 

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=88355

It'll be released in late April/early May, first in Germany, then Europe, then America.

Who's excited? I actually enjoyed In War and Pieces and, while it doesn't match previous monsters like Agent Orange, Tapping the Veinn, and others, Sodom are still reigning. I'm looking forward to hearing this!
_________________
On cocaine, ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I never did it and you did. I'm automatically better and a better judge of intelligence.
My collection

Top
 Profile  
Misfit74
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:23 am
Posts: 1566
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:11 am 
 

Count me in. I'll check out anything this band does.
_________________
Last.fm
My Music on RYM

Top
 Profile  
mike40k
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:27 pm
Posts: 368
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:33 am 
 

Well this is a pleasant surprise! I had no idea they were working on new material.

I found War and Pieces a little bland, hopefully this album will be an improvement.

Top
 Profile  
ModusOperandi
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 628
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:50 am 
 

It's interesting to watch their evolution over the years and see that they're arguably more melodic now than ever. Not in the same way that Kreator has become by comparison but certainly more than anyone would have seen in their early days and even then, they still hold fast to their Motorhead and punk influences today. In War and Pieces had solid production that served the songs well and retained that Sodom viciousness they've built on since Code Red without sounding sterile. Going with Waldemar Sorychta again should provide even better results and I hope they stick with him for the duration of their career. I'd prefer if it's a little more uptempo as whole this time around, but if nothing else it'll be interesting to hear what Markus Freiwald brings to the drum throne. Bernemann's gone unnoticed as a guitar player both in Sodom's history and the genre as a whole, ESPECIALLY for his leads and solos. You know Tom's bass will bring the thunder, and a title like Epitome of Torture just reads like a bludgeoning in the making. For whatever reason, I'm optimistic this will be more than just another Sodom album.
_________________
blackcandle wrote:
GOOD MORNING.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Magic Mike

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 5337
Location: Oswego, Illinois
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:52 am 
 

Mikey and I seem to be the only two people who adore In War and Pieces. Bummer they'll be releasing this while I'm indisposed, but I'm totally looking forward to it!
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Cannibal Corpse - A Skeletal Domain

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6486
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:17 am 
 

Based on ModusOperandi's description, I should probably get into some more recent Sodom. I've been stuck with Agent Orange and earlier stuff lately (and Tapping the Vein - what a massive improvement over Better Off Dead).
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
ModusOperandi
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 628
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:11 am 
 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Based on ModusOperandi's description, I should probably get into some more recent Sodom. I've been stuck with Agent Orange and earlier stuff lately (and Tapping the Vein - what a massive improvement over Better Off Dead).

Tapping the Vein is one of kind in their catalog, and a hell of an album it is too, no argument there. However, there's nothing they've done since that mirrors the all-out death/thrash assault it brings so take that into account for what you will. In War and Pieces probably showcases the best of what they've done right on each album after 'Til Death Do Us Unite. That might be one of the better places to start for more current Sodom. M-16 often gets thrown about as a "true comeback" album for the band and their genre peers at the turn of the century, so there's another starting point that might work for you.
_________________
blackcandle wrote:
GOOD MORNING.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.


Last edited by ModusOperandi on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Asti78
Metalhead

Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 5:52 am
Posts: 1349
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:07 am 
 

For me personally I like the new stuff, but my heart belongs to albums like Agent Orange, Better Off Dead and Tapping the Vein which are all outstanding but different on their own. Agent Orange was a perfect mixture of the German Thrash style with melodic elements, Better Off Dead is in my eyes their most melodic album with some of their best songs ever written "Eye for an eye", "Saw is the Law" and "Resurrection" but also some weaker parts. Tapping the Vein is pure brutality and was a total different step. Initially I wasn't really satisfied with this album but it has really grown on me over the years.
_________________
Good users: ins88(2x), Oligarch, Mr_Belvedere(8x), coldsunproductions, Apostate, narlotep, Kubrat(5x), caine(2x), nothenam(2x), Mysticus(2x), Peststurm(3x), Brandanschlag, MDeth, MikeyC, SepticTomb, thunderbelial, KevinPage, Desekrate, WASPcollector, Wolfhead(2x), Mephs, ...

Top
 Profile  
ENKC
Veteran

Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:28 pm
Posts: 2717
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:02 am 
 

This title reminds me of the "Pinnacle of Bedlam". Been meaning to listen to In War and Pieces. I have a raging boner for modern releases by classic thrash bands.
_________________
John_Sunlight wrote:
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Top
 Profile  
Oddeye
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:24 pm
Posts: 1876
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:29 am 
 

BastardHead wrote:
Mikey and I seem to be the only two people who adore In War and Pieces. Bummer they'll be releasing this while I'm indisposed, but I'm totally looking forward to it!


I like In War And Pieces as well! The title track is a beast.

On topic, I'm really looking forward to the new album. Epitome of Torture is an awesome title.

Top
 Profile  
Westvargr
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:51 pm
Posts: 306
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:42 am 
 

I hated In War and Pieces for it's plastic-production and the too close to melodeath-riffing. I don't think I even care about a new album.
_________________
Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
By_Inheritance
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:38 am
Posts: 424
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:54 am 
 

Meh. I'll give it a spin when it comes out, but I'm not a fan of their latter albums.
_________________
Gods of War Extreme metal. New EP, free download! - http://godsofwar.bandcamp.com
Crypt Lurker Doom metal. Stream full EP - http://cryptlurker.bandcamp.com/

Top
 Profile  
metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:09 pm
Posts: 560
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:13 pm 
 

The problem with in war and pieces for me was that tom just sings in that one tone, has no dynamics. Like in persecution mania, he actually sang, and sang at a talking level. He really delivered a fun performance. For me, war and pieces, all I can remember is "IN WAR AND PIIIIIIEEEEECCCCCEEEEESSSS!!!" times however many refrains. It's not as fun, except I've come to expect acts that are around for a while to just become tired sounding. I think maybe they're just getting bored or something. I fucking love sodom's earlier albums though.
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/metaldiscussor

Top
 Profile  
TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 12:44 am
Posts: 1709
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:41 pm 
 

I didnt really car for In War And Pieces except for a few stand out tracks. I may revisit it after posting here. When it comes to modern Sodom, I really like the album M-16 but their self titled is probbably my favorite. However I do pretty much like everything Sodom have done. Agent Orange has become one of my favorite albums of all time. I will be looking forward to this with high hopes.

Top
 Profile  
Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:54 pm
Posts: 3997
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:04 pm 
 

Cover art
Spoiler: show
Image


Album info and tracklist
Spoiler: show
Quote:
“The devil is in the detail,” as the old saying goes. Translated to Sodom vocalist/bassist Tom Angelripper’s sharp-tongued and highly critical powers of observation, you might also say: the worst perversions often hide behind seemingly harmless terms. What are we referring to? For example to ‘Katjuscha’, one of twelve hard-as-nails songs which Sodom present on their latest studio album, Epitome Of Torture. After all, Sodom’s ‘Katjuscha’ has little to do with the same-named folk song by Mikhail Isakovsky, but is about the Russian rocket launcher which has been responsible for death and destruction thousandfold. “The Katjuscha has been produced since World War II and is still used today,” the Sodom frontman explains. “It’s been responsible for the death of more people than Stalin’s organ. To name such a deadly weapon after a girl is as grotesque as giving the atom bomb dropped on Hiroshima the code name ‘Little Boy’.” It’s obvious that Sodom 2013 haven’t changed their scornful view of the world, presenting an album in Epitome Of Torture that is as uncompromising as ever in musical as well as lyrical terms. “Unfortunately there’s still plenty of inspiration for angry lyrics around,” says Angelripper.

The bitter thrash metal attack ‘Waterboarding’, which deals with torture methods, fits perfectly into this context. “It always surprises me how inventive – in the most negative sense of the word – people can be when it comes to torturing others,” states the vocalist, who recorded Epitome Of Torture together with guitarist Bernemann and new drummer Markus “Makka” Freiwald. “At the same time, Epitome Of Torture features not only typical Sodom numbers, like the title track, our new hit ‘S.O.D.O.M.’ and ‘Stigmatized’, the toughest Sodom number in ages, but also two or three recordings which are slightly more moderate and melodic than what people have come to expect from us,” Tom Angelripper points out. He is referring to songs such as ‘Cannibal’ and ‘Tracing The Victim’, which allow guitarist Bernemann to present his impressive musical skills, as well as ‘Into The Skies Of War’, on which Angelripper allowed himself to be inspired by icons such as Motörhead and Tank: “Luckily, it’s impossible to hide my influences.”

Epitome Of Torture was produced by Waldemar Sorychta, whose expertise as a sound engineer and audio magician thoroughly benefitted Sodom’s 2010 release In War And Pieces. Tom Angelripper: “Waldemar is an exceptional producer, who always succeeds in evening out an artistŽs weak spot and promoting his strengths. He doesn’t let you get away with anything, he knows all our weak spots. Which occasionally makes working at the studio a little demanding, but at the end of the day it’s all worthwhile, as the result shows.” The Sodom frontman describes the sound on Epitome Of Torture as “hard-as-nails and contemporary, without ignoring our tried-and-tested old-school attitude.”

The new album will be available worldwide through SPV/Steamhammer in four different formats: as a limited-edition DigiPak including two bonus tracks and a poster, in a regular jewel case, as a double gatefold colored vinyl with three bonus tracks and for download. The cover artwork featuring Sodom‘s popular “Knarrenheinz”logo was developed by graphic designer Meran Karanitant, who has caused a stir with his work for Six Feet Under, Hatebreed and Dimmu Borgir, among others.


Release Dates are: Germany April 26th, Europe April 29th and US/Canada May 7th!

Tracklisting:

Limited Edition Digipak:

1. My Final Bullet 04:40
2. S.O.D.O.M. 03:46
3. Epitome Of Torture 03:31
4. Stigmatized 02:56
5. Cannibal 04:19
6. Shoot Today – Kill Tomorrow 04:01
7. Invocating The Demons 04:25
8. Katjuscha 03:43
9. Into The Skies Of War 03:51
10. Tracing The Victim 04:46
11. Waterboarding 05:06 (bonus track)
12. Splitting The Atom 04:28 (bonus track)


Hmm... I liked In War and Pieces. It wasn't excellent, but Sodom could still write some sweet numbers like Styptic Parasite and Murder One. Some tracks were a bit unexciting but not terrible. Unnecessary ''modern'' bits or simply just by the numbers tracks like Hellfire and Knarrenheinz. A bit too melodic at parts, but I guess that's to be expected because it's what is popular in Germany these days. It's definitely not their strength. Although I must say that I really liked the vocals, the pissed off that I like.

This announcement leaves me a bit uneasy. Just the name of the album and the cover art. Epitome of Torture? Just seems like an attempt for an ''ultra brutal'' name and I feel it ends up being a bit... kiddy for the lack of a better expression. As the cover. I'm not the biggest fan of Eliran Kantor, but he definitely did some good looking paintings with Sigh's In Somniphobia and In War and Pieces. But this one... it's just ugly. They worked with several good artists throughout their career, why do they have to get this one? It doesn't look like a Sodom cover at all and with the photoshopping... It's just what I loathe about some modern cover artworks. And god is it overkill with the saws, the skulls, the tank, the knot... it's just lame. I mean, sure they already have some ''badass'' covers like Code Red, but at least it was good looking and more simplistic.

And S.O.D.O.M. ? Come on, isn't that a lame track title? Seems like they borrowed from Destruction's bad idea in D.E.V.O.L.U.T.I.O.N.. But other than some ugly track titles, I think Katjuscha, Into the Skies of War, Tracing the Victim, Waterboarding and Splitting the Atom to be nice names. Into the Skies of War in particular looks interesting considering they show their Tank and Motorhead influences. Murder One was a good one. But apparently we have ''moderate and melodic'' numbers. I mean, I don't mind a band trying new things, but I always like that there was one area Sodom were always consistent. That, and it's obvious it is to satisfy the German metal market. And I never liked it when I band states that their new album is ''uncompromising as ever''. Most of the time, even if it's not bad, it's just them writing more boring and shorter stuff they are used to. Anyway, it has the potential to be a good album, so I'll keep my eyes out.

Top
 Profile  
Misfit74
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:23 am
Posts: 1566
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:05 pm 
 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
Cover art
Spoiler: show
Image


Album info and tracklist
Spoiler: show
Quote:
“The devil is in the detail,” as the old saying goes. Translated to Sodom vocalist/bassist Tom Angelripper’s sharp-tongued and highly critical powers of observation, you might also say: the worst perversions often hide behind seemingly harmless terms. What are we referring to? For example to ‘Katjuscha’, one of twelve hard-as-nails songs which Sodom present on their latest studio album, Epitome Of Torture. After all, Sodom’s ‘Katjuscha’ has little to do with the same-named folk song by Mikhail Isakovsky, but is about the Russian rocket launcher which has been responsible for death and destruction thousandfold. “The Katjuscha has been produced since World War II and is still used today,” the Sodom frontman explains. “It’s been responsible for the death of more people than Stalin’s organ. To name such a deadly weapon after a girl is as grotesque as giving the atom bomb dropped on Hiroshima the code name ‘Little Boy’.” It’s obvious that Sodom 2013 haven’t changed their scornful view of the world, presenting an album in Epitome Of Torture that is as uncompromising as ever in musical as well as lyrical terms. “Unfortunately there’s still plenty of inspiration for angry lyrics around,” says Angelripper.

The bitter thrash metal attack ‘Waterboarding’, which deals with torture methods, fits perfectly into this context. “It always surprises me how inventive – in the most negative sense of the word – people can be when it comes to torturing others,” states the vocalist, who recorded Epitome Of Torture together with guitarist Bernemann and new drummer Markus “Makka” Freiwald. “At the same time, Epitome Of Torture features not only typical Sodom numbers, like the title track, our new hit ‘S.O.D.O.M.’ and ‘Stigmatized’, the toughest Sodom number in ages, but also two or three recordings which are slightly more moderate and melodic than what people have come to expect from us,” Tom Angelripper points out. He is referring to songs such as ‘Cannibal’ and ‘Tracing The Victim’, which allow guitarist Bernemann to present his impressive musical skills, as well as ‘Into The Skies Of War’, on which Angelripper allowed himself to be inspired by icons such as Motörhead and Tank: “Luckily, it’s impossible to hide my influences.”

Epitome Of Torture was produced by Waldemar Sorychta, whose expertise as a sound engineer and audio magician thoroughly benefitted Sodom’s 2010 release In War And Pieces. Tom Angelripper: “Waldemar is an exceptional producer, who always succeeds in evening out an artistŽs weak spot and promoting his strengths. He doesn’t let you get away with anything, he knows all our weak spots. Which occasionally makes working at the studio a little demanding, but at the end of the day it’s all worthwhile, as the result shows.” The Sodom frontman describes the sound on Epitome Of Torture as “hard-as-nails and contemporary, without ignoring our tried-and-tested old-school attitude.”

The new album will be available worldwide through SPV/Steamhammer in four different formats: as a limited-edition DigiPak including two bonus tracks and a poster, in a regular jewel case, as a double gatefold colored vinyl with three bonus tracks and for download. The cover artwork featuring Sodom‘s popular “Knarrenheinz”logo was developed by graphic designer Meran Karanitant, who has caused a stir with his work for Six Feet Under, Hatebreed and Dimmu Borgir, among others.


Release Dates are: Germany April 26th, Europe April 29th and US/Canada May 7th!

Tracklisting:

Limited Edition Digipak:

1. My Final Bullet 04:40
2. S.O.D.O.M. 03:46
3. Epitome Of Torture 03:31
4. Stigmatized 02:56
5. Cannibal 04:19
6. Shoot Today – Kill Tomorrow 04:01
7. Invocating The Demons 04:25
8. Katjuscha 03:43
9. Into The Skies Of War 03:51
10. Tracing The Victim 04:46
11. Waterboarding 05:06 (bonus track)
12. Splitting The Atom 04:28 (bonus track)


Hmm... I liked In War and Pieces. It wasn't excellent, but Sodom could still write some sweet numbers like Styptic Parasite and Murder One. Some tracks were a bit unexciting but not terrible. Unnecessary ''modern'' bits or simply just by the numbers tracks like Hellfire and Knarrenheinz. A bit too melodic at parts, but I guess that's to be expected because it's what is popular in Germany these days. It's definitely not their strength. Although I must say that I really liked the vocals, the pissed off that I like.

This announcement leaves me a bit uneasy. Just the name of the album and the cover art. Epitome of Torture? Just seems like an attempt for an ''ultra brutal'' name and I feel it ends up being a bit... kiddy for the lack of a better expression. As the cover. I'm not the biggest fan of Eliran Kantor, but he definitely did some good looking paintings with Sigh's In Somniphobia and In War and Pieces. But this one... it's just ugly. They worked with several good artists throughout their career, why do they have to get this one? It doesn't look like a Sodom cover at all and with the photoshopping... It's just what I loathe about some modern cover artworks. And god is it overkill with the saws, the skulls, the tank, the knot... it's just lame. I mean, sure they already have some ''badass'' covers like Code Red, but at least it was good looking and more simplistic.

And S.O.D.O.M. ? Come on, isn't that a lame track title? Seems like they borrowed from Destruction's bad idea in D.E.V.O.L.U.T.I.O.N.. But other than some ugly track titles, I think Katjuscha, Into the Skies of War, Tracing the Victim, Waterboarding and Splitting the Atom to be nice names. Into the Skies of War in particular looks interesting considering they show their Tank and Motorhead influences. Murder One was a good one. But apparently we have ''moderate and melodic'' numbers. I mean, I don't mind a band trying new things, but I always like that there was one area Sodom were always consistent. That, and it's obvious it is to satisfy the German metal market. And I never liked it when I band states that their new album is ''uncompromising as ever''. Most of the time, even if it's not bad, it's just them writing more boring and shorter stuff they are used to. Anyway, it has the potential to be a good album, so I'll keep my eyes out.


Good points here. This one is no different than Phantom Antichrist or other similar thrash album titles. It seems to have that serious but humorous slant like many others. I do like the album art just fine for the band and genre. More or less it's your typical big-name thrash cover but not shitty by any means. The title is a little over-done perhaps, but...

...at least they didn't name the album some derivation of '13' like elventy-billion other albums recently. :lol:
_________________
Last.fm
My Music on RYM

Top
 Profile  
Oddeye
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:24 pm
Posts: 1876
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:40 pm 
 

I really liked In War And Pieces but the self titled from 2006 is even better. Really looking forward to this album!

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 5447
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:56 pm 
 

In War and Pieces was a solid slab of modern thrash. I'll be surprised if this turns out to be anything besides that. That cover art is woeful though.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
I wish I had a black hole and an infinite supply of B83 atomic bombs, each time letting the heat barely rub against all of you before sucking it back with a black hole so I could slowly nuke the previous page over and over again for all time.

Top
 Profile  
lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:25 am
Posts: 4242
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:07 pm 
 

Probably the best of the old guard who are still active.

MikeyC have you completed your Vomitor collection yet?

Top
 Profile  
Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:54 pm
Posts: 3997
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:39 pm 
 

''Shoot Today - Kill Tomorrow'' has leaked. Could've been worse but I'm not really impressed. The riffing isn't bad during the verse, but the chorus is pretty damn generic and unexciting. Hopefully the rest will prove to be better.

Top
 Profile  
Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:02 pm
Posts: 274
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:07 pm 
 

I will refuse to listen until I get the cd

Top
 Profile  
John_Sunlight
President Satan

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:41 am
Posts: 4698
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:12 pm 
 

"Pinnacle of Bedlam", "Epitome of Torture". :ugh:

Hope this formula for album titles doesn't become a trend.
_________________
"Since that time, I have received highest level confirmations that such organizations not only exist but are rooted in satanic ritual murder and extend across America’s political landscape into nearly every community."

Top
 Profile  
Smalley
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:06 am
Posts: 699
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:30 pm 
 

John_Sunlight wrote:
"Pinnacle of Bedlam", "Epitome of Torture". :ugh:

Hope this formula for album titles doesn't become a trend.

Why not?

Top
 Profile  
Peroy
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:44 am
Posts: 360
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:52 pm 
 

Smalley wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:
"Pinnacle of Bedlam", "Epitome of Torture". :ugh:

Hope this formula for album titles doesn't become a trend.

Why not?


Yeah, we still need to get "Summit of Sufffering" and "Climax of Chaos"...

Top
 Profile  
Garyuu
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:36 pm
Posts: 530
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:58 pm 
 

Whether the title is good or not, I'm excited for this. I just love German thrash.

Top
 Profile  
inhumanist
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:09 pm
Posts: 4356
Location: 50 Forts Along the Rhine
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:17 am 
 

Epitome Of Torture, indeed, that's what I expect it to be. SoTom has become incredibly lame formulaic crowd pleasing trash. They should just start being deathlike silent already.
_________________
Metantoine wrote:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?
CorpseFister wrote:
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.

Top
 Profile  
Slag
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:56 am
Posts: 2303
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:51 pm 
 

I didn't give their last album a very fair shot, so I might have to re-listen to it. But I don't remember it being particularly striking. I hope that this album isn't 'just another solid Sodom album'. Not when bands like Overkill are putting out the best music of their careers. They have to be more innovative in their music or be more creative then they have been and put out something that is more then just solid.
_________________
Leify wrote:
My grandfather always said, if you can't fix a problem, just systematically blow shit up.

Top
 Profile  
ModusOperandi
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 628
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:17 am 
 

I really want to give the new album a chance especially since I've already praised In War and Pieces in this very thread but man, Shoot Today... just sounds so by-the-numbers that I'm not so sure anymore. I'd be a little disheartened if Epitome of Torture winds up being just more of the same only with lesser songwriting. Makka's a step up from Bobby but I already figured that going in. It's not that it's inherently a bad song, it just sounds too interchangeable as if it could have been on any other of their recent albums. While that might work for some bands, it's not what I want out of Sodom who only puts out albums once every 3-plus years now.
_________________
blackcandle wrote:
GOOD MORNING.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Top
 Profile  
lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:25 am
Posts: 4242
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:40 am 
 

Well there is always Vomitor albums.

Top
 Profile  
Dark_Insanity
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:26 pm
Posts: 411
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:26 am 
 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Based on ModusOperandi's description, I should probably get into some more recent Sodom. I've been stuck with Agent Orange and earlier stuff lately (and Tapping the Vein - what a massive improvement over Better Off Dead).


I love ALL releases by Sodom, great band. Looking forward to this album. I think i texted MikeyC about this album. :p One of many albums that i am looking forward to in 2013. :)
_________________
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/Lone_Messiah
Twitter - http://twitter.com/#!/Satans_Child666
Book ov Face - https://www.facebook.com/LoneMessiah

Top
 Profile  
PvtNinjer
Veteran

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:45 am
Posts: 2629
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:59 pm 
 

BastardHead wrote:
Mikey and I seem to be the only two people who adore In War and Pieces. Bummer they'll be releasing this while I'm indisposed, but I'm totally looking forward to it!


You know, I wouldn't say I adore it, but In War and Pieces is a very enjoyable listen.

Top
 Profile  
OzzyApu
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 9804
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:09 pm 
 

PvtNinjer wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Mikey and I seem to be the only two people who adore In War and Pieces. Bummer they'll be releasing this while I'm indisposed, but I'm totally looking forward to it!


You know, I wouldn't say I adore it, but In War and Pieces is a very enjoyable listen.

Yeah I'm in the camp that likes the album, as well. Some damn good songs on it.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Top
 Profile  
Peroy
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:44 am
Posts: 360
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:35 pm 
 

"In War and Pieces" I found to be slightly dissapointing... not because it lacked in quality, but because it didn't quite meassure up to their better records. Sodom got four or five albums under their belt that are simply magnificent, but this one was more akin to some of their more forgettable 90s output.

Top
 Profile  
Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:54 pm
Posts: 3997
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:30 pm 
 

Why do people keep saying their 90ies output is forgettable? Obviously Tapping the Vein kills, but I always thought the others are quite nice. Get What you Deserve is pretty vicious punkish thrash. I love old hardcore punk so I guess it helps, but seriously it's pretty pissed off, hard hitting and catchy. Masquerade in Blood isn't top notch, but it has its killer moments, cool stuff. The album where they wrote their best Motorhead-like songs. The production could definitely be a bit better though, I like the overall sound but the mix is somehow a bit muddy. And Til' Death do us Unite is definitely underrated, killer thrash throughout. Fuck the Police is particularly rad as the punkish tracks like Gisela. I'd take any of these albums over In War and Pieces, probably over the s/t and Code Red too.


Last edited by Evil_Johnny_666 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
OzzyApu
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 9804
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:32 pm 
 

Agreed on most of those points, too, Johnny. Sodom still ruled into the early '90s, but they did start to lose me a little after when they pushed into the late '90s. M-16's production bothers me, too.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Top
 Profile  
Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:54 pm
Posts: 3997
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:35 pm 
 

Oh, Code Red was released in 1999. Definitely not their best album. Its biggest problem is probably that it lacks character. It indeed feels like a Slayer album, at least more so than a Sodom one.

And OzzyApu, yeah, M16's production is something. Although I must say I like it now, it has its charm. But it took me quite a while for this, I really was uncomfortable at first. It sounded... wrong.

Top
 Profile  
Peroy
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:44 am
Posts: 360
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:02 pm 
 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
Why do people keep saying their 90ies output is forgettable?


I can only speak for myself, but for me, something like "Masquerade in Blood" doesn't quite cut it, if I hold it up to the standards that have been set with "Persecution Mania" or "Agent Orange"...

So it's their own damn fault for making records that are so fucking great earlier... :P

But mind you, Sodom imo never released a truly bad album and there are good songs on each of their full lenghts...

Top
 Profile  
Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:54 pm
Posts: 3997
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:11 pm 
 

Peroy wrote:
So it's their own damn fault for making records that are so fucking great earlier... :P

Haha, agreed. But my biggest fear with Sodom is if they lack the inspiration. I don't mind if they release an album which can't compare with their earlier stuff, but I'd be pretty damn happy if I get something which can compare to their 90ies output. Shoot Today-Kill Tomorrow sounds like unmemorable rehashed stuff, a downgrade. It's not bad, but terribly unexciting and them showing a bit of inspiration would make a difference.

Top
 Profile  
Peroy
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:44 am
Posts: 360
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:23 pm 
 

Can't comment on Shoot Today, didn't give it a listen yet... No need to hurry either, I can wait for release day. Sodom aren't really a band that I have to reassure myself beforehand, for they got a pretty good track record...

Top
 Profile  
lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:25 am
Posts: 4242
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:50 am 
 

Tapping The Vein is fucking awesome indeed. I rate it better than Agent Orange even.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AlexAlmighty, BastardHead, CloggedUrethra, Diamhea, Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], OzzyApu, Syntek and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group