Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:14 pm 

I'm puzzled why the user "Porman" deleted the following releases from the Cathedral (UK) page:

"Ride" - Promo Single
"Midnight Mountain" - Promo Single
"Grim Luxuria" - Promo Single

These exist and are official releases by Columbia Records, and I've included links below for proof. If they were deleted due to them being questioned if they were real, I think they should be brought back.

Ride:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CATHEDRAL-Ride-CD-RARE-1993-Sony-COMPACT-DISC-Promo-/230911114592?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item35c35ffd60

Midnight Mountain:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CATHEDRAL-Midnight-Mountain-CD-RARE-1993-Sony-COMPACT-DISC-Promo-/230911113749?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item35c35ffa15

Grim Luxuria
http://www.discogs.com/Cathedral-Grim-Luxuria/release/2798734

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:26 am 

He deleted them because they're promotional-only singles, never intended for public distribution. They were only ever sent to labels and promoters, usually in advance of an upcoming album. So in other words, they were never meant for the average Joe to get his hands on them - a stone's throw from being a bootleg, really.

Each of those links you've provided have "Demonstration - Not for sale" written on them.

I'm not sure the guy should even be selling 'em. :lol:

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:14 pm 

Quote:
I'm not sure the guy should even be selling 'em.

In the US, they are considered gifts, wherein the recipient may do with them as (s)he pleases. Even if a label demands a recall (very rare occurrence), one is not obliged to return the promo. As for other countries ...

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:59 pm 

While I agree they're not releases available to the general public, there are many of them available in 2nd hand shops, Ebay, etc., so they are available to fans who seek them out. And to call them close to bootlegs I feel is a bit of a stretch. A bootleg is released by a 3rd party without the consent of the band and label, while these radio-promos / singles are totally official, and authorized by the bands.

In my opinion they belong in the band's discography. In fact I'm almost positive these singles used to be on the band's official website in the discography section when they used to have one. But if the mods decide they aren't supposed to be in any band's discography, there are TONS of bands in the archives with promo/radio-only releases like this in their discographies. Just an FYI...

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:28 pm 

Quote:
[...] there are many of them available in 2nd hand shops, Ebay, etc., so they are available to fans who seek them out.

They weren't originally intended for the public (hence the "not for resale" labeling).

Quote:
But if the mods decide they aren't supposed to be in any band's discography, there are TONS of bands in the archives with promo/radio-only releases like this in their discographies.

Report them for deletion. But remember (promo or not) that if the band gave them away or sold them, for example, then they are allowed on here. (Public distribution ...)

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:07 am 

well, you can start with these two if you're serious about purging the archives of promos:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Me ... ack/179769
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Me ... m%29/22080

if I'm not speaking out of line, though, I'd vote for promos to stay. a large chunk of m-a users are collectors, serious or aspiring.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:10 am 

Considering the initial poster's question has been answered, should we abandon this thread (and a mod lock it), and use this thread for any further promo discussions?

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:04 am 

MA is not a site for collectors, it's here to function as an encyclopedia. People collect bootlegs as well, but we don't allow those either.

I think everything has been answered pretty well here.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.