Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ill-Starred Son
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 215
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:37 pm 
 

I discovered this sub genre about a year ago and it's become one of my favorite styles.

Not sure I really see that much difference between it and black-death and not sure what bands some might consider black death or "bestial black metal" (I don't know what distinguishes it from either sub genre) but here's a bunch of bands I have come to love recently:

Axis of Advance
Revenge
Goat Penis
Arch Goat
Sadomator
Conqueror
Proclamation
Bestial Warlust
Bestial Mockery
Black Witchery
Damaar
Sadomator
Witchrist
Angel Corpse
Vulpecula (might not be war metal)
Ares Kingdom
War Hate
Domini Infereri

I would also probably consider Order From Chaos to be the first war metal band, or if not, a band who directly influenced the style, and they've become one of my all time favorites.


Last edited by Ill-Starred Son on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Nhor
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:59 pm
Posts: 180
Location: Dogshit
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:28 pm 
 

"War Metal" isn't a sub-genre and I'm certain that every band that's ever been labeled such can be more accurately defined as black, death, or thrash hybrids in one way or the other and a good chunk have some grind influences.
_________________
Selling CD's and Shirts Fairly Cheap

Top
 Profile  
metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:09 pm
Posts: 560
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:45 pm 
 

Image

Mfw OP didn't mention blasphemy
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/metaldiscussor

Top
 Profile  
Ill-Starred Son
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 215
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:57 pm 
 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
Image

Mfw OP didn't mention blasphemy


Of course, what the fuck was I thinking.

Blasphemy fucking rules.

Top
 Profile  
Ill-Starred Son
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 215
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:01 pm 
 

Nhor wrote:
"War Metal" isn't a sub-genre and I'm certain that every band that's ever been labeled such can be more accurately defined as black, death, or thrash hybrids in one way or the other and a good chunk have some grind influences.


Well, what would you refer to it as if you wouldn't refer to it as a "sub genre"??

Of course it's a "hybrid style", no question about it, if that's the term you would rather use than "sub genre" than so be it.

Almost every "war metal" band I listed is some kind of hybrid mix of death, black, thrash and grind, but I think that "war metal" as a term, whatever you want to refer to it as in terms of a "genre" is a more "accurate" definition of these bands than to call them black, death, etc.

For me personally, I know what to expect when someone calls a band war metal, I know the sound it describes even if I'm not the best at putting it into words.

Think Revenge, Conqueror, Proclamation, Axis of Advance and Order From Chaos. Elements of black, death and thrash with a huge emphasis on fast and brutal drumming.

Top
 Profile  
GravityLapse
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:54 pm
Posts: 178
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:15 am 
 

I agree, I think war metal is the perfect definition of a subgenre. It has a specific sound, aesthetic, and set of influences. Where do you draw the line? I mean, if you really want to get technical, isn't the majority of metal hybrid styles of some sort? They become genres when enough bands start playing similar enough types of music.

Anyway, as far "bestial black metal," it depends on the person, some people use it interchangeably with war metal, others use it to refer to more overtly black than death stuff like Black Witchery, Morbosidad, Deiphago, Proclamation..

And OP, how did you mention Witchrist (who personally I think are far too doomy to be war metal), and forget Diocletian/Heresiarch?

Top
 Profile  
qTp
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:32 pm
Posts: 317
Location: Dolomites
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:07 am 
 

Don't forget this masterpiece!
Rites Of Thy Degringolade - Totality (2001)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCPEi8qXF7w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU2biz23O1U
_________________
Progenie Terrestre Pura
[[post black metal + electronica]]

Top
 Profile  
Ill-Starred Son
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 215
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:26 pm 
 

GravityLapse wrote:
I agree, I think war metal is the perfect definition of a subgenre. It has a specific sound, aesthetic, and set of influences. Where do you draw the line? I mean, if you really want to get technical, isn't the majority of metal hybrid styles of some sort? They become genres when enough bands start playing similar enough types of music.

Anyway, as far "bestial black metal," it depends on the person, some people use it interchangeably with war metal, others use it to refer to more overtly black than death stuff like Black Witchery, Morbosidad, Deiphago, Proclamation..

And OP, how did you mention Witchrist (who personally I think are far too doomy to be war metal), and forget Diocletian/Heresiarch?


I've never heard Diocletian or Heresiarch, or Morbosidad or Deiphago for that matter.

The Witchrist album i have isn't very doomy though.

Top
 Profile  
Nhor
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:59 pm
Posts: 180
Location: Dogshit
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:16 pm 
 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
Nhor wrote:
"War Metal" isn't a sub-genre and I'm certain that every band that's ever been labeled such can be more accurately defined as black, death, or thrash hybrids in one way or the other and a good chunk have some grind influences.


Well, what would you refer to it as if you wouldn't refer to it as a "sub genre"??

Of course it's a "hybrid style", no question about it, if that's the term you would rather use than "sub genre" than so be it.

Almost every "war metal" band I listed is some kind of hybrid mix of death, black, thrash and grind, but I think that "war metal" as a term, whatever you want to refer to it as in terms of a "genre" is a more "accurate" definition of these bands than to call them black, death, etc.

For me personally, I know what to expect when someone calls a band war metal, I know the sound it describes even if I'm not the best at putting it into words.

Think Revenge, Conqueror, Proclamation, Axis of Advance and Order From Chaos. Elements of black, death and thrash with a huge emphasis on fast and brutal drumming.


I told what I would refer them as, depending on the band, because they're all a mix of of one or already existing genres. Bands like Primalfrost aren't playing a new sub genre when they hybrid power and black metal, and neither are these bands with black, thrash and death.
_________________
Selling CD's and Shirts Fairly Cheap

Top
 Profile  
Erotetic
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:05 pm
Posts: 871
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:05 am 
 

Nhor wrote:
Bands like Primalfrost aren't playing a new sub genre when they hybrid power and black metal...


or, if they were, you could just call it black/power.

(from what I can judge, most "Viking Metal" bands are either pagan folk black or epic folk/death, or something like that ... which seems like a more useful classification to me, since it won't exclude similar, or include dissimilar, sounding bands, so you don't end up recommending a bunch of epic raw black metal bands to someone who only wants clean hi-fi DM riffing like Amon Amarth)
_________________
В Ожидании Смерти

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1228
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:21 pm 
 

People sleep on Ruin Lust. So much better than 99% of these Blasphemy clones.

Can download the demo easily... I think they're all sold out through Psychic Violence. no band page or anyhting.

Not good quality youtubes exist unfortunately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL9Y4V2FFos

Drummer from Fell Voices, Mohoram Atta, Sleepwalker, etc.
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
Ill-Starred Son
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 215
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:20 pm 
 

I told what I would refer them as, depending on the band, because they're all a mix of of one or already existing genres. Bands like Primalfrost aren't playing a new sub genre when they hybrid power and black metal, and neither are these bands with black, thrash and death.[/quote]

Ok, but regardless of what you want to call "war metal" it is a descriptive term that works better IMO than simply saying "black death" or something like that.

There are lots of black death bands that don't have that same "war metal" sound, so I think the term is helpful.

Top
 Profile  
Zushakon
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:11 pm
Posts: 19
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:35 pm 
 

A lot of people I know that are into war metal love Disforterror.

I personally can't stand it, but Disforterror is huge with the war metal guys I know.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group