Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:20 am 

What company made your 50 movie pack? All of my horror packs except one were made by Echo Bridge.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:01 pm 

Mizwa, have you watched Stalker yet? I've had it for months, and have watched about half of it. Contrary to what that implies, I really enjoyed what I saw, but I got distracted by other stuff and so turned it off. I didn't want to devote anything less than my full attention to it. I've only seen one other Tarkovsky movie (Solaris), and it's obvious that he's one of the greats. He reminds me a bit of Bergman too, especially in Stalker.

And as an interesting note, Stalker is Varg Vikernes's all-time favorite movie. An interview with him is actually where I first heard of it. :lol:

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:25 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
The Professional: This is one of my favourite movies ever. Amazing acting from everyone involved, compelling characters, flawless pacing, pulse pounding action, quotable, kick ass soundtrack unforgettable. I mean, if you haven't seen it, what are you waiting for?

Empyreal wrote:
You mean Leon the Professional? Yeah, that movie is kick ass.

I'm a bit late to the discussion, but yeah, love that movie. I never get tired of watching it, as everything about it is goddamn perfect. Used to to be a bit weirded out by the strange sexualization of such a young Natalie Portman, but got used to it later after thinking about the possible psychological reasons for that kind of behavior in a girl as young as she was back then when put in her situation. But I digress..... The point is; everyone who hasn't watched that movie yet has some catching up to do.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:20 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
I'm a bit late to the discussion, but yeah, love that movie. I never get tired of watching it, as everything about it is goddamn perfect. Used to to be a bit weirded out by the strange sexualization of such a young Natalie Portman, but got used to it later after thinking about the possible psychological reasons for that kind of behavior in a girl as young as she was back then when put in her situation. But I digress..... The point is; everyone who hasn't watched that movie yet has some catching up to do.

In the original script Mathilda seduced Léon, you know? They cut that part.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:46 pm 

I..... Wasn't aware of that. Glad they got rid of that idea.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:05 pm 

Quote:
Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak calls the minute-long preview scene from the upcoming jOBS biopic – starring Ashton Kutcher as Steve Jobs and Josh Gad as Steve Wozniak – “totally wrong.” In an e-mail to Gizmodo, Woz says, in part, “Our relationship was so different than what was portrayed. I’m embarrassed but if the movie is fun and entertaining, all the better. Anyone who reads my book iWoz can get a clearer picture.”

Here's the source

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:09 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
Mizwa, have you watched Stalker yet? I've had it for months, and have watched about half of it. Contrary to what that implies, I really enjoyed what I saw, but I got distracted by other stuff and so turned it off. I didn't want to devote anything less than my full attention to it. I've only seen one other Tarkovsky movie (Solaris), and it's obvious that he's one of the greats. He reminds me a bit of Bergman too, especially in Stalker.

And as an interesting note, Stalker is Varg Vikernes's all-time favorite movie. An interview with him is actually where I first heard of it. :lol:

Stalker is really dense, I don't blame you. It's basically just three guys slowly walking around and talking the whole time, but luckily their conversations are really interesting. Despite being very good it does take a lot of effort to get through, though. It's an interesting take on the book (Roadside Picnic, which is also very good) in that it basically takes the setting and then inserts its own characters into it. Stalkers are a thing in the book, as is the wish-granter and the history of the Zone, but the characters and story are 100% original.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:54 am 

Snowgrave wrote:
Oscar nominations are out. I'm glad to see Silver Linings Playbook got so many nominations, it's a great film; possibly my favorite this whole year. De Niro easily deserves the best supporting actor nod.

So I searched if this movie was discussed in this thread and found only Snowgrave's post. I watched it yesterday and I thought it was a brilliant movie in the rom-com genre. The plot seemed genuine enough to keep me hooked throughout. I smiled and chuckled at some of the scenes which had good comedic value. Aside from that, the movie had strong performances from De Niro and Jennifer Lawrence. I never really liked J.Lawrence in her previous movies especially Hunger Games, but in this she made me feel like she was all grown up and mature. Bradley Cooper did his bit. I reckon if they had a big-name lead actor, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it that much. Anyway, not that awards mean anything, but I hope this movie bags a few.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:53 pm 

@ Thiestru:

Funny, I made it about half way through and shut it off as well! Not because it was bad or anything, on the contrary I found it strangely mesmerizing, but I'm sick and have a whopper of a headache so I had to turn it off and nap.

I'm going to finish it tonight though and post my thoughts.

I really like the atmosphere. It is very Kubrickian.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:30 pm 

Ah, Leon is such an amazing movie. I remember when I was living in Ireland a German friend of mine who was a film student would often lend me stuff out of his vast DVD collection. One day he loaned me Leon on the grounds that it was an awesome action movie. Not expecting anything more than that, I sat there with a stupid grin on my face for the entire movie. It is such a badass action movie and it's also so much more.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:05 pm 

I just saw Ghostship. It's a very average horror/thriller. The characters are all horribly uninteresting, there were no scary moments whatsoever, and the obligatory little girl ghost was, as always horrible. In the last 20/30 min however.... the movie takes a turn for the weird.

Spoiler: show
The devil, Soul collectors, a out of place Ocean's Eleven "this is how we stole the expensive stuff" flashback with music that seems to be stolen from the same movie, gangsters killing everyone on board so they can steal the gold.... What were they thinking? It was quite amazing to see though. It sort of saved the movie for me with it's shameless out of wack weirdness. I got a good laugh out of it

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:18 pm 

I like the repetitive use of Not Falling by Mudvayne in that movie. Like any of those characters would like that song.
It was popular in the early 2000's to throw nu metal into mainstream horror movies for some reason.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:21 pm 

The Dark Side of the Moon: what can I say about this B-movie weirdness? Was it bad or good? Truth is, it's hard to tell. It certainly wasn't terrible. Really unintentonally funny a lot of the time, it fails to set up a creepy atmosphere or any terror at all, especially with the hilarious "realisation" moments f the main character (oh my God...the Bermuda triangle. Oh my god...666. Yes this movie somehow combines both those things). The low budget special effects look decent. It kind of bothers me they they never really show deaths happening straight up, but I assume that was a necessity. I thought the Satan voice was really fucking shitty though. Just this lame sounding deep monster thing. The dialogue is pretty awesome and awkward from the strangely written characters and it seems like they tried to combine some elements from both Alien and The Thing. I love how the main character has a friggin mullet and the one fight scene lasts like 5 seconds. I also love all the obvious mistakes like the AI saying the ship had come to a complete standstill and then the camera showing it move through space not even a minute later.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:06 am 

Think it's safe to say you described a bad movie. Nothing worth watching a second time.

Watched Dredd finally, and yeah it was amazing. Only complaint I had was the setting looked a little too contemporary, there was streets and highways that looked just like modern ones and it's supposed to be inside of MegaCity 1 (everything should be made of metal and you can't see the sky except from the very top where the rich folks live.) My minor quibble with the setting was solved when they started hanging out in that hab block, which did look cool and hive city-like. I think the talk about a sequel being canned might be premature with how well the DVD sales for this movie are doing, I would love a sequel or even sequels.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:29 pm 

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... /130129973

My favorite line in this review: "Stay with me, please. I had to sit through it. You're just reading about my pain."

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:56 pm 

Well, as soon as I saw the trailer I knew it would be the shittiest movie ever. It somehow looked worse than Project X. Though Ebert usually has terrible movie taste, I'm sure he hits the nail on the head here.

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:59 pm 

My girlfriend really wants to see that movie. It looks awful but I'll probably like it because Emma Stone.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:48 pm 

Bottle Rocket: Decent enough comedy/first movie by Wes Anderson. It doesn't really leave a strong impression, but the robbery scene is pretty damn funny and chaotic. The characters are easy to like and that's about it.

Harold and Maude: Pitch black subtle comedy from the 70's in which a young, death obsessed man who regularly fakes his suicide falls in love with a life loving old woman. A meditation on ephemerality and affection. I saw it more as a drama than a comedy and it's smooth pacing was appreciated. I wouldn't call it an all time classic but it was a pretty interesting movie.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:02 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Well, as soon as I saw the trailer I knew it would be the shittiest movie ever.

My thoughts exactly, I have no interest in contributing to the success that Movie 43 will surely have.

But then I read that Halle Berry gets her tit out and mashes it around in guacamole.

Why does that turn me on?!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:04 pm 

We all know about your love for black women, Mike. Don't try to hide it!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:07 pm 

But how does this mesh with my hatred of guacamole?
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:07 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Bottle Rocket: Decent enough comedy/first movie by Wes Anderson. It doesn't really leave a strong impression, but the robbery scene is pretty damn funny and chaotic. The characters are easy to like and that's about it.

Ah, it's also got the now-overrated Wilson brothers. I'm gonna take you up on your recommendation and watch it.

For people who are interested in the upcoming X-men movie, I came across this article which said:
"Ellen Page, Anna Paquin and Shawn Ashmore will return for the film that bridges the original X movies and the prequel."
You can read the whole article which talks more about the movie here

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:10 pm 

@BastardHead: maybe you are turned on by such a scene because you are watching a black woman destroying something you hate with her body?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:12 pm 

You should be my psychiatrist.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:14 pm 

Anytime, Mystical Michael :beer:

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:51 pm 

Django Unchained = awesome!

Anyone else notice the globe in the den at candyland? I'm fairly certain it's used as a prop in Inglorious Basterds as well.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:55 pm 

Halle Berry's tits can do strange things to a movie going audience, see how many people willingly watched Swordfish?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:16 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Halle Berry gets her tit out and mashes it around in guacamole.

Food based erotica is way overrated.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:01 pm 

The Believer - 2/5
Ryan Gosling, before he became uber popular, stars as a jewish neo-nazi who seeks to kill what he hates most, supposedly based on the true story of a KKK member in the 1960's who was revealed to be jewish by a New York Times reporter, yet it features little to nothing to do with this. The film starts off with Danny Balint (Ryan Gosling) attacking a jewish teenager in broad daylight with no remorse and then going off with his neo-nazi buddies to meet an anti-zionist group (it's never clearly explained) where he talks to the organizers about who he would kill if given the chance, rather than seem questionable they seem intrigued and interested in his homicidal behaviour.
Then halfway through the interesting premise where he might perform an assassination devolves into a love affair with a equally if not more disturbed individual (her story is never truly elaborated on) and Danny Balint becoming obsessive towards judaism, even wearing jewish clothes underneath his own clothes as if he's trying to get caught.
This movie would have been alright if I was made aware or why this guy was so disturbed, why he was doing things that were clearly against his earlier train of thought. Some type of inner narrative would have helped as I didn't really know who Billy Zane and his followers were, or what Ryan Gosling's character was trying to achieve and why he didn't show any reaction to shocking non-nazi related things. Also, scenes tended to meander like Romper Stomper, with no real direction or definable portrayal. It's ultimately pointless and makes little to no sense.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:13 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:
Well, as soon as I saw the trailer I knew it would be the shittiest movie ever.

My thoughts exactly, I have no interest in contributing to the success that Movie 43 will surely have.

But then I read that Halle Berry gets her tit out and mashes it around in guacamole.

Why does that turn me on?!

It actually flopped badly with tons of bad reviews.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:42 pm 

That's good to hear, usually those crappy Seltzer and Friedberg style comedies cost almost nothing to make and wind up making a lot of money back somehow.

How sad is it that silly parody films used be considered Zucker, Abrahams, and Zucker style comedies, and that they were usually funny? Now it's either S&F or the Wayans, and they're almost exclusively awful.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:59 pm 

Basically the movie just seems like someone tried adopting the Aristocrats into an actual movie, right down to the wraparound segment being a pitch to a film executive, the talent agent of the scenario.

The problem with parody films nowadays is that they are only pioneered by people with no talent. People like Mel Brooks and Zucker, Abrahams, and Zucker don't make them anymore, leaving that genre to only the complete hacks like Seltzer and Friedberg or the Wayans. The public have shown multiple times that no matter how offensively stupid the movie is, they will go watch it in droves, meaning that the aforementioned hacks have an audience that will consistently watch their shit. It's the same kind of people that watch the Transformers movies and think they're excellent.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:06 pm 

Mel Brooks may not make new movies anymore, but he's still out there producing some top notch stuff. I saw the live musical version of Young Frankenstein a few years ago and almost peed my pants laughing at least twice. Mel Brooks's style of comedy is timeless, and that's a huge thing that makes him different from the pop-culture obsessed S&F. I first saw The Producers when it was nearly 45 years old and I loved it from beginning to end. 45 years from now, is anybody going to understand the half assed "jokes" in Meet the Spartans?

Seriously, my seething hatred for these hacks knows no bounds.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:11 pm 

That's one of the reasons The Flintstones has aged so terribly. It relied very heavily on the pop culture of the time and thus audiences nowadays don't understand most of the humor unless they look it up.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:12 pm 

Wait a minute..... There are people out there who enjoy Meet the Spartans? As in functional, sane humans beings who like that abomination?!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:25 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Mel Brooks may not make new movies anymore, but he's still out there producing some top notch stuff. I saw the live musical version of Young Frankenstein a few years ago and almost peed my pants laughing at least twice. Mel Brooks's style of comedy is timeless, and that's a huge thing that makes him different from the pop-culture obsessed S&F. I first saw The Producers when it was nearly 45 years old and I loved it from beginning to end. 45 years from now, is anybody going to understand the half assed "jokes" in Meet the Spartans?

Seriously, my seething hatred for these hacks knows no bounds.

Now you're just depressing me.

I need to watch Blazing Saddles again to cheer myself up.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:54 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Wait a minute..... There are people out there who enjoy Meet the Spartans? As in functional, sane humans beings who like that abomination?!

When it came out my brother wanted to go see it so he, me, and my father saw it in the theater. I kept looking over at my dad throughout that piece of shit and he just had this scowl of "Why the hell am I here watching this?" on his face throughout pretty much the whole thing.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:01 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Halle Berry's tits can do strange things to a movie going audience, see how many people willingly watched Swordfish?

I've never seen the whole movie, in fact I don't know what the movie is about, but my parents had it on DVD when it first came out and I have seen that scene with her topless like 100 times.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:28 pm 

Trick R Treat: Wow! This movie was awesome! It was even better than V/H/S. This is probably the best ''anthology'' movie I've seen, though it's not really a straight anthology as much as expertly interwoven stories. The editing is artful and impressive, there are some really cool shots, and the stories are very creative. Most of all it's a lot of fun and creepy as hell in parts. I love how they go ''yeah everyone is dressed up and a lot have blood on them so you can basically get away with murder without people thinking twice''. The music was noteworthy too, really eerie piano stuff mostly.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:40 pm 

That movie is bloody amazing, Necro! It really captures the feeling of Halloween masterfully. Sure, it's not really a "scary" horror movie, but it's very fun and brilliantly done. Hope that a sequel gets made soon!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 379, 380, 381, 382, 383, 384, 385 ... 818  Next