Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:11 am 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
Ravenlord266 wrote:
I'm fucking excited for THIS.

I saw this online in an article title "best video game trailer ever", and I'd actually er in the opposite. I am so sick of companies putting out a trailer that displays absolutely no gameplay and people salivating over it. The game could be fucking woeful for all we know, just with some real pretty visuals.

Yeah, I don't get why people think that's such a great trailer either. Could as well be a GPU commercial or something. There's barely anything happening because OMG SLOWMO and you learn next to nothing about the game. It's pretty, but that's pretty much it. The game could be turn based strategy for all I know from that trailer.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:59 am 

I have an interest in playing Dark Souls for the PC, and I believe there is quite the selection of Dark Souls fans here, so I thought it'd be appropriate to ask. Is there any quality mods that make keyboard + mouse playable? I remember hearing that on launch, the PC port had all kinds of problems that were soon fixed with mods, yet it was still recommended to use a controller as K+M still sucked. Problem is, I utterly despise console controllers. They're the reason I stopped playing consoles years ago, so that's out of the question. I can only play keyboard and mouse these days. I have been watching a PC LP of the game, though the LP'er used a controller as well. So yeah. Rather get a confirmation by someone on here first, is all.

Cheers.

Vook
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:36 am 

Yeah, I doubt you'd have any fun with DS using mouse and keyboard, it's just awkward as hell even with a fix.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:16 am 

Time to get over it and put a controller in your hands.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:29 am 

Gamepads are overrated. They are good for certain game types but every time I hear someone preferring them when playing shooters I want to strangle them with the cord (or crack their skull with their wireless controller, whatever).

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:59 am 

Yea man I hate it when people have different preferences than me. ARGH

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:11 pm 

*sighs* :durr: The next person who starts up with keyboard/mouse vs controller childishness will get suspended.

(This is not aimed at BloodSacrificeShaman; asking questions about control scheme support is of course perfectly legitimate.)

Deadnight Warrior
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 pm 

Do any of you know why Brütal Legend wasn't released for PC? I googled it but I didn't found on the first page so...

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:36 pm 

@BloodSacrificeShaman
You might've googled it by now but just in case
Mouse fix: http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~petska/
DSFix (Mandatory): http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=dsfix

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:46 pm 

@Adriankat

Thanks man! If that mouse fix is nice and stable, then I may purchase this game soon. Finally get onto to what I guess is a little overdue.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:31 am 

inhumanist wrote:
Yeah, I don't get why people think that's such a great trailer either. Could as well be a GPU commercial or something. There's barely anything happening because OMG SLOWMO and you learn next to nothing about the game. It's pretty, but that's pretty much it. The game could be turn based strategy for all I know from that trailer.

It is a terrible trend. Dishonored was an excellent game, but the trailer did nothing for me as it featured no gameplay. I don't see why people get at all excited by it, it is all smoke.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:33 am 

I'm pretty sure people (well, at least the sane ones) get (and got) excited about the trailer, not necessarily the game it fails to represent.

That Cyberpunk trailer is fantastically made. It has nothing to do with how much does it tell/show you about the final game (and mind you, we're talking about a game that's way down the line. It's almost certain that the reason they don't feature gameplay footage in the trailer is because they don't have any yet, or at least - nothing that's ready to showcase).

P.S: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare has a free weekend on Steam now, go try it people!
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:16 pm 

yentass wrote:
I'm pretty sure people (well, at least the sane ones) get (and got) excited about the trailer, not necessarily the game it fails to represent.

So sane people get excited over completely meaningless trailers? Alright then.

KingAlastor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:35 pm 

Anyone else hyped as hell for GTA V? I wasn't a fan of GTA IV, but this one looks like it'll be more in the spirit of Vice City or San Andreas.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:21 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:

Nah, they don't, he misspelled "insipid" as "sane" for some reason. ;)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:31 pm 

Trailers like that are pure advertising, basically a TV commercial. They don't care about logically convincing you it's going to be a good game. The only thing they're trying to do is get your subconscious to associate Game Title with Cool Action & Imagery. It's an effective marketing tactic when you're dealing with millions of consumers and a lot of competition.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:19 pm 

KingAlastor wrote:
Anyone else hyped as hell for GTA V? I wasn't a fan of GTA IV, but this one looks like it'll be more in the spirit of Vice City or San Andreas.

I'm.cautiously excited, gtaIV is an awful, awful game, and Liberty City is always a shitty, drab boring place, but I've got some hope that Los Santos will actually be a fun setting, hopefully the writing is less gritty and realistic (tm) and more in line with the.lively and fun characters of Red Dead.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:42 pm 

I'm expecting it to be great just because of how much Rockstar Games learned (or should have learned) from their previous games this generation. You could see this in the progression of the GTA4 DLCs. GTA4 base was kind of a dull game, but Lost and Damned and Ballad of Gay Tony really improved the game. Then look at RDR and how much better it is than GTA4. Max Payne 3 was a bit of a hiccup in terms of storytelling but it has the best shooting and action mechanics of the three big Rockstar games this generation. There should be no excuse for GTA5 to be worse than GTA4 given all this.

edit
Yeah, I know it's "impeccable" logic. :P

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:48 pm 

I'm sure GTAV will be top notch. I didn't have a problem with GTAIV honestly, but can easily say I liked Vice City and San Andreas way more. Along with Saints Row 2.

I couldn't get into Max Payne 3 though honestly. Way too streamlined for me, linear/progression wise. Just another example of me being insanely bored with strictly linear game-plays-itself this-is-the-experience-the-devs-force-you-to-have kind of games thesedays. While the GTA's always have this during missions, it's still a sandbox though with so much more, so there will be a lot more balance that won't bother me. I just want there to be more to do, that was the thing with GTAIV... big city, with hardly anything to do outside of the missions. And the city environment was just kind of whatever to me, I definitely enjoy sandboxes in more suburb-like places with more variety.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:13 pm 

As was usually the case with GTA games, I usually had more GTA4 fun doing random pointless shit than the actual story. Though I do remember enjoying the GTA3 story. Actually, if I had made an effort I bet I would have liked the GTA4 story more, I preferred the dirt and grit of GTA3 to the glitz and glamor of Vice City. I barely played San Andreas, honestly. I found it rather dull compared to what came before it.

Been back on Skyrim after a 3-month break from games. Still pretty sick, except the latest update (game or steam, don't remember) rendered all spells and staffs unusable. Literally, when you try to use them nothing happens.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:20 pm 

I loved the glitz of Vice City myself, I found the bright and colourful setting a much more enjoyable place to commit wanton atrocities. San Andreas pushed that engine to its ultimate end, there was so much crap to do outside of the story, some of it was lame so I like Vice more, but it was definitely as far as the PS2 could go and I loved it.

I didn't even find IV fun to cruise around in randomly the locations were dull and street design was convoluted as shit, the physics were annoying and the lighting was irritating, the new wanted system ment you had to actually pay attention to one star ratings and leave your area, and they could go up to two for absolutely no reason, it's infuriating, then you've got all the fucking friend dates ruining your fun. The only good thing was driving into motorcyclists and watching them fly.

Also why did they remove rampages, they were at least exciting extra challenges,even if they could be annoying.

KingAlastor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:43 pm 

San Andreas is still my favorite in the series. I grew up in the 90's, so it resonates a bit more with me than Vice City, and it's one of the few games I can just fuck around with for hours without even touching the story missions. That's the part of GTA IV that let me down. I liked the story, but there's not a whole lot to do compared to earlier GTAs and as a setting, Liberty City is just ugly and boring.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:07 pm 

Thing about Vice City and San Andreas is that they capture their respective eras and then romanticizes them in a way that makes you long for them. Then GTA4 puts you in this semi-identical copy of New York City and then tells you a story about the truth of the American Dream. In comparison to the previous games, that's all it really had going for it. GTA5 on the other hand seems to go back to the VC/SA style where it captures the era and then romanticizes it. The rise of the smartphone, trailer park junkies, return of 80's-esque aesthetic, living large, etc. Of course, I'm only going off of the promo screens, artwork, and videos, but it seems like that's what R* is trying to push on us.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:45 am 

OK so you guys have good taste. And I recently became a PSP newbie. I got a PSP Go for $60 when I went to pick up Ni No Kuni (which is excellent by the way. Get it ASAP)

What are good PSP games? I have 8 gigs left on my Go to have games, although I could delete Modnation Racers (which sucks and I got for free cause Sony got hacked that one time) and Street Fighter since the controls for the Go don't work well with it. So I can get 10 gigs on my PSP Go.

Alternately, what are some good PS1 games to put on it? I have Blood Omen, Soul Reaver, Xenogears, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania SOTN, and Final Fantasy VII.

Is Dissidia any good? Or some cheap Square Enix cash in?
How about Metal Gear Peace Walker?
Silent Hill Origins?
Valkyria Chronicles 2?

Throw out some suggestions to keep in the back of my mind. In the meantime I'll be enjoying Blood Omen and Xenogears.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:47 am 

Here's a Christopher Walken impersonator babbling random bullshit over gameplay videos of various titles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqxNtdlF ... vNjNjko_Gm

I find this hilarious for some reason.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:40 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
yentass wrote:

You're misreading it, probably due to poor/incomplete wording on my behalf, so I'll elaborate:

The "sane" people might find a trailer exciting and appreciate it regardless of what it actually shows about the game (that is, enjoy it either from a purely cinematic standpoint or the superficial gameplay information - environments, characters... - that is presented), yet still realize that ultimately it doesn't represent how the game would eventually pan out. You can call it pointless, yeah, just as you can call anything in life that otherwise brings joy to other people.

The "insane" (read - gullible and/or overly enthusiastic) people would get excited about the game itself just upon seeing a CG trailer even though the trailer isn't an indicative of the quality of the final game (hell, look at Dead Island...).

My point is that it's possible to appreciate a trailer in its own right regardless of how much it tells you about the game. That's why I find it weird when people deem a trailer as crap just because there is no gameplay shown. I mean - "bad representative", sure, but plain "bad"?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:29 am 

Kahalachan wrote:
Throw out some suggestions to keep in the back of my mind. In the meantime I'll be enjoying Blood Omen and Xenogears.

If you enjoy FFTactics, get Jeanne d'Arc. I had a lot of fun with it. Xeogred will tell you to get Tactics Ogre.... which I did, and I'll let you know how it is once I get it. ;)

Avoid the God of War games, unless you really love them a lot. They're pretty much the same as the PS2 ones only more rehashed and with tons of the annoying QTEs (mine, I suspect, is responsible for breaking my stupid analog stick).

If you like the old-school (e.g. pre-SotN) Castlevania, get Castlevania Chronicles. It's a nice 2.5D remake of Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, and SotN (including with a playable Maria Renard) and the original Rondo of Blood are in-game unlockables. Fairly challenging (or I just suck, maybe), with multiple paths and characters, secrets, etc.

I didn't play a lot of SH: Origins but I liked what I saw. It's classic SH. Your weapons are various breakable objects you find scattered across the game. So you can bash a monster's head with a toaster. If you don't find that awesome, I pity you. :D

yentass wrote:
My point is that it's possible to appreciate a trailer in its own right regardless of how much it tells you about the game. That's why I find it weird when people deem a trailer as crap just because there is no gameplay shown. I mean - "bad representative", sure, but plain "bad"?
I'd say so. It's a stupid and annoying trend in trailers and it needs to die.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:05 am 

Adriankat wrote:
Thing about Vice City and San Andreas is that they capture their respective eras and then romanticizes them in a way that makes you long for them. Then GTA4 puts you in this semi-identical copy of New York City and then tells you a story about the truth of the American Dream. In comparison to the previous games, that's all it really had going for it. GTA5 on the other hand seems to go back to the VC/SA style where it captures the era and then romanticizes it. The rise of the smartphone, trailer park junkies, return of 80's-esque aesthetic, living large, etc. Of course, I'm only going off of the promo screens, artwork, and videos, but it seems like that's what R* is trying to push on us.

I can agree with that. I'll add that many of the missions in San Andreas were plain awesome. Jump from airplane to airplane in mid-flight, shoot everyone on board and steal the fucking thing? Check. Infiltrate an aircraft carrier, steal a fighter jet then blow up some ships while being hunted down by the air force? Fuck yeah, more please. Also, some brilliant characters in Officer Tenpenny and OMG CATALINA. :love: Pretty much my favourite of the series. GTA IV, I couldn't get much into.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:56 am 

Hey guys, do you remember The Suffering games? You know, those two action/horror third person shooters about a guy named Torque who encountered nightmarish creatures called Malefactors, who were the physical manifestations of horrible crimes and deaths that had taken place in the past. The gameplay was nothing to write home about, but the creature designs always stuck with me, especially those of the Slayers, which were creepy as hell, thin and tall humanoids with blades for hands and feet, who moved in a spider-like manner and kept their heads attached to their torsos using horrible, rusty metal contraptions. My point is; is there any game where the enemy design struck a particular chord with you? It doesn't need to be a horror game, either.....

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:19 pm 

I played the Suffering 1 when I was 15. I never beat it though, I feel like I was shooting at that last boss for hours and he never died or seemed to take any damage. :(

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:44 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
yentass wrote:
I'd say so. It's a stupid and annoying trend in trailers and it needs to die.

I can relate to that, but let me ask you this - do you think the trend itself is stupid, or the companies that rely solely on that and the folks who are falling for it are?

As a trend, I personally deem it as largely inoffensive (the sole purpose of a CG trailer is to gather interest - although via largely irrelevant means - towards the product; I see it as a weird midway between a TV commercial and a music video). Moreover, when the trailer in question is an announcement trailer, I think it deserves a pass. I mean - the trailer's only usable and relevant information (namely the title, release date and platforms) could have been as easily conveyed to a similar effect via dry text in an article of a webzine of your choice, what harm could it do if the very same information is passed along with some fanfare, flying dragons and bullets traveling in slow mo?

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:39 pm 

About the Cyberpunk trailer; I'm excited about it because I know the Cyberpunk 2020 RPG it was based on, therefore I am familiar with the franchise and very giddy the team from The Witcher will be working on it. People saying that "folks who are excited by trailers that show nothing are stupid" kinda offends me.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:27 pm 

It's not the trailer itself that excites me, it's the implication we're going to get a cyberpunk game made by CD fucking projekt RED.

If theres one thing I have a big nerdy boner for it's rpg's with cyberpunk settings and CDprojekt RED. Those are actually two seperate things, but then again they're not going to be so seperate anymore now will they?
Now excuse me while I drain the abundant amount of nerdy happy-goo from my knickers.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:57 pm 

I'm stoked but also slightly weary of them making it open world. But who knows what that exactly means.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:10 am 

I'm getting excited for Revengeance. I've yet to play the demo, but everything I've heard makes it sound like everything I want in a game.

Currently playing the XCOM Enemy Unknown, which is great but stressful as fuck. It puts me off playing it!

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:52 pm 

Rising is going to be amazing, the demo completely sold me. I was really hesitant about the game up until now...but damn. I hated Bayonetta because of the story/humor and constant cutscene interruptions, and Rising has none of those issues, with even better gameplay. The framerate is also pretty insane for a console game. I wasn't very interested in DmC at all and with this around the corner, now I definitely won't even bother. Been craving an insane Japanese action game for ages now and this definitely feels like it'll fill that void.

More hype:
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/23/me ... technique/

Also has anyone here played Nier? I could see some of you guys liking it. Morrigan perhaps. It's definitely super Japanese, the story and characters are pretty awesome. I think people were talking about Kaine's hilarious outfit recently (which is joked about in the game itself), but yeah she's a damn good character. The game has insanely good music too. Too bad it got bashed into smithereens and put these devs out of a job (got absorbed by some parent company or something).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df2sHg6R-uw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ttw1JCEiZE

The hilarious thing is how the game just feels like a big love letter to a lot of games with all its styles meshed in. Guess I can see how that might turn people off, but I honestly don't think it's ever been that odd, I love how weird it is. There's definitely lots of Zelda influences, an RE styled mansion, a Diablo styled dungeon, shmup styled bosses, and one of my friends said the DLC even has an FPS section, haha wow.

It's good, it's weird, it's Japanese, if you were ever interested definitely give this one a chance.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:15 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
If you enjoy FFTactics, get Jeanne d'Arc. I had a lot of fun with it. Xeogred will tell you to get Tactics Ogre.... which I did, and I'll let you know how it is once I get it. ;)

Avoid the God of War games, unless you really love them a lot. They're pretty much the same as the PS2 ones only more rehashed and with tons of the annoying QTEs (mine, I suspect, is responsible for breaking my stupid analog stick).

If you like the old-school (e.g. pre-SotN) Castlevania, get Castlevania Chronicles. It's a nice 2.5D remake of Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, and SotN (including with a playable Maria Renard) and the original Rondo of Blood are in-game unlockables. Fairly challenging (or I just suck, maybe), with multiple paths and characters, secrets, etc.

I didn't play a lot of SH: Origins but I liked what I saw. It's classic SH. Your weapons are various breakable objects you find scattered across the game. So you can bash a monster's head with a toaster. If you don't find that awesome, I pity you. :D

No I don't love God of War. It's worth a playthrough to see what the hype is about and then admire the production value and that's about it. They are well made, but really dumb.

I might go more with PS1 classics. I can store more games and play what I missed out on. Right now I'm in JRPG heaven. Ni No Kuni then some Xenogears before bed.

I just got here and love the music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2384v71q1g

The story has you hooked and the gameplay is pretty nice. It's funny how badly lip synched it is. I started seeing some cutscenes that really show how bad it is. Hah hah. And I wish you could scroll through dialog quicker. But it's great. I missed out never playing this before.

After Xenoblade maybe Silent Hill Origins then.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:17 pm 

Jeanne d'Arc is definitely a fun SRPG, as is Tactics Ogre.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:37 pm 

Kahalachan wrote:
I just got here and love the music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2384v71q1g

I love that music. It's eerily similar to a Loreena McKennitt song from an album that actually came out pretty much at the same time as the game came out in Japan, so it's an odd coincidence. The song in question:

Quote:
The story has you hooked and the gameplay is pretty nice. It's funny how badly lip synched it is. I started seeing some cutscenes that really show how bad it is. Hah hah. And I wish you could scroll through dialog quicker. But it's great. I missed out never playing this before.

Haha yeah, told ya. :)

Quote:
After Xenoblade Xenogears maybe Silent Hill Origins then.

FTFY :P Also, don't forget the Legacy of Kain games!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:26 pm 

Hah yeah wow that does sound really similar.

I'm at an Arabic looking place in Ni No Kuni too but its music is completely different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhYjWDYetLg

Xenogears sounds better. There's nothing catchy about this one really.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 468, 469, 470, 471, 472, 473, 474 ... 940  Next