Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:34 am 

Hahaha yeah man pretty big difference there. I do really really like Antiquus, I recently got their latest album, In the Land of the Blind, and it's as good as their other stuff. I probably like it slightly less than their second one, it's less emotionally gripping, but they take their penchant for crazy Watchtower-style guitar insanity to the limit, so it's never boring. Definitely worth $10.

ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:58 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I actually can't stand Conception. I'm not even sure why. They just bore me hard.

I have the exact same problem. I love a good deal of the stuff Roy Khan did with Kamelot (Karma, The Black Halo, The Fourth Legacy), and so I was curious what Conception sounded like. The music was just so incredibly boring that I couldn't listen to it.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:59 am 

I can't believe someone gave it 20% in the review section, even attacking the production? I don't see how you could like traditional heavy metal and hate Elutheria.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:21 pm 

Totally can't stop listening to Dark at Dawn's Of Decay and Desire the last few days...fell in love all over again with the somber melodies and this poetic, dark-romantic kind of feel, while still being heavy and aggressive as hell. Killer.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:13 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
I can't believe someone gave it 20% in the review section, even attacking the production? I don't see how you could like traditional heavy metal and hate Elutheria.

I agree, I'm thinking he must have heard a poor-quality rip or something, because I can't find anything wrong with Elutheria's production. Ramayana's production is rather rough and demo-like, true, but Elutheria's is basically a typical metal production. Nothing about it really sticks out for me either way. It's one of those workmanlike productions that doesn't add a whole lot to the album, but doesn't take away from it at all either. The guitar tone is pretty good, though.

It's just another one of those reasons you have to be really wary of pirating albums or listening to them on Youtube or Myspace, sometimes they're faithful rips but sometimes they're poor and can lead you to wrong conclusions about the actual album. We all remember the Playground of the Damned debacle.

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:17 pm 

Could anybody recommend me please some oldschool true power metal album - great slow riffs, good solos (with any instrument), OK singer?
I came across "Iron Fire - Thundersteel" and I though why nobody is doing this kind of metal then I recall there is a thread about reccomendations and now I am here.
Anything is appreciated just type @mudrnudl in the beggining of your post so I know you are answering me. Thanks in advance.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:13 pm 

@mudrnudl: Could you clarify a point or two? 1) You mean Iron Fire's 'ThunderStorm', right? 2) By "old school", do you mean actually old stuff, or stuff that sounds old school (I guess I'm a little confused as your one example doesn't quite sound old school to my ears)?

Anyhow, Iron Fire seems to be typical, rather mundane, friendly neighborhood post-Keepers EuroPM, with perhaps a slightly stronger than average mid-period Running Wild influence (the folk/Celtic/pirate themes played at regular intervals across each song). Strong, rather dramatic intro riff promising an epicness that'll never come; public domain catchy verse melodies over solid if minimalistic accompaniment (entirely recycled a million times over); lighthearted, borderline child-like choirs, bridge, break and solo sections, and a mighty Santa Chorus (TM) as the focal point of an ISO-I/V/V/C/V/C/C/B/S/C/V/C/C (R) song structure. That is EuroPM 101 right there. What do you mean by "nobody is doing this kind of metal"? Everybody and their cousin have been doing this kind of metal to death and beyond all over Western Europe and South America for the past 15-20 years.

If I understood your request correctly, then you basically just need to look for bands described here as "EuroPM" ("flowery power metal", although it's a derogatory term, should also bring you lots of pointers). As a first-aid kit to scratch your itch, I'd recommend you promptly acquire Stratovarius' entire discography from 'Fourth Dimension' on, Gamma Ray's from 'Somewhere out in Space' on, HammerFall's first three, Angra's debut, At Vance, everything Falconer, Helloween's entire run from 'The Dark Ride' on, everything by Cryonic Temple, DragonLand, Crystal Eyes, Edguy's 'Mandrake', recent Majesty, and above all Freedom Call, all of it. These should get you started, and if you crave for more, there's a virtually endless supply of similar material out there.

If you feel a little more adventurous, then you might want to check out Running Wild's run from 'Pile of Skull' to 'The Rivalry', Helloween's Keepers and mid-to-late 90s run, pre-Mandrake Edguy, pre-PowerPlant Gamma Ray, Sonata Arctica's debut, or Blind Guardian's run from 'Somewhere far Beyond' to 'Nightfall in Middle Earth'.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:34 pm 

Actually, I can see why some people would find the production on Eleutheria lacking (and I own a CD copy, before anyone asks); the faster-picked guitar parts can get fairly muddled, and on the whole it's a pretty rough, unpolished sound. Some of it sounds like the guitar mic itself was clipping.

That said, all the acoustic parts are absolutely beautiful and crystal clear, so I have no idea where that guy's specific criticisms came from. Eleutheria is definitely a 95%+ album for me, it's one of those precious few albums where the concept and music seem to merge seamlessly into one. Just listen to Meta Incognita, and the way its wandering, floating guitar lines give way to the shimmering, beautiful buildup of the intro to Redemption; it perfectly fits what's going on in the story, and really packs an emotional punch.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:20 am 

Yeah but this guy was saying that Eleutheria sounded like a bad demo band or some shit - totally blowing it out of proportion and untrue...he also said something like the vocals sounded like Tom Araya and Bruce Dickinson? :???: And that it was mostly a doom album.

Iron Fire's Voyage of the Damned is really cool, though I don't think LegendMaker would like it. Nice, dark, meaty PM.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:41 am 

Man Emp I thought I was a big Urban Breed fan, but... I was peaking around the reviews lately and decided to check out Trail of Murder, yeah I couldn't get into any tracks at all. :lol:

Guess it's safe to say I don't really like anything he's done so far outside of Tad Morose.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:47 am 

Oblarg wrote:
Actually, I can see why some people would find the production on Eleutheria lacking (and I own a CD copy, before anyone asks); the faster-picked guitar parts can get fairly muddled, and on the whole it's a pretty rough, unpolished sound. Some of it sounds like the guitar mic itself was clipping.

I mean yeah it's not perfect, but fuck, if you listen to any metal more obscure than Demigod or Dream Theater concessions that small are basically routine. I could easily name a dozen albums I love with far worse productions.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:27 am 

Attacking Eleutheria the way that guy did is insane. The review reads like he listened to an entirely different album. I'd go so far as to accuse him of factual innacuracy, to be honest.

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:30 am 

@LegendMaker
you are right with that typo of album - it is Thunderstorm. And actually I have listened to that album in a weak moment of mine if you know what I mean.
Anyway I forgot how "strong" is this forum with its users compared to the others. It would not be a challenge for you to name hundreds of bands like this.

I am quite unsure what to listen next now, of course I know almost every band you named.
I rather give you my favorite albums and than you will be able to see what my taste is like.
Actually I would like some tips in different areas:
1. album with legendary vocals (I am sure you know Kiske, Midnight, Heiman - long story short something like Lost Horizon - A Flame to the Ground Beneath)
2. cheesy album as catchy as hell (kind of Timeless Miracle or Keldian)
3. oldschool speed/power metal (maybe with sucky production) with screamy powerful clean vocal (something similar to Scanner - Hypertrace)
Now my taste:
From those well known bands I really enjoy Avantasia's both metal operas, Edguy's Mandrake, Gamma Ray's Land of the Free + No World Order, Helloween's both Keppers, Judas Priest Hell Bent for Leather, Sonata Arctica - Silence.
Here is the stuff which is less known and I like it:
http://i.imgur.com/PyqO4yg.png
Maybe I would add Emir Hot - Sevdah Metal album.
Here is my last.fm profile if it is not enough: http://www.last.fm/user/mudrnudl
Quite interesting is I cannot listen to Blind Guardian or Iron Maiden or Rhapsody whole albums. + I am really picky when it comes to female vocalists.
I am opened to any english lyrics (no problem with dark or even christian texts). And I have no problem with any origin of the band.
So what would you suggest me?

Last edited by mudrnudl on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:41 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Man Emp I thought I was a big Urban Breed fan, but... I was peaking around the reviews lately and decided to check out Trail of Murder, yeah I couldn't get into any tracks at all. :lol:

Guess it's safe to say I don't really like anything he's done so far outside of Tad Morose.

You sit on a throne of lies.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:48 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Oblarg wrote:

I mean yeah it's not perfect, but fuck, if you listen to any metal more obscure than Demigod or Dream Theater concessions that small are basically routine. I could easily name a dozen albums I love with far worse productions.

Matthias Steele!

It finally hit me that it really is just mainly the drums that are completely jacked up. If that were fixed and balanced the whole thing would be fine for the most part. I wonder if anyone has ever tried messing with the mix before?

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:45 pm 

mudrnudl wrote:
@LegendMaker
you are right with that typo of album - it is Thunderstorm. And actually I have listened to that album in a weak moment of mine if you know what I mean.
Anyway I forgot how "strong" is this forum with its users compared to the others. It would not be a challenge for you to name hundreds of bands like this.

I am quite unsure what to listen next now, of course I know almost every band you named.
I rather give you my favorite albums and than you will be able to see what my taste is like.
Actually I would like some tips in different areas:
1. album with legendary vocals (I am sure you know Kiske, Midnight, Heiman - long story short something like Lost Horizon - A Flame to the Ground Beneath)
3. oldschool speed/power metal (maybe with sucky production) with screamy powerful clean vocal (something similar to Scanner - Hypertrace)
Now my taste:
From those well known bands I really enjoy Avantasia's both metal operas, Edguy's Mandrake, Gamma Ray's Land of the Free + No World Order, Helloween's both Keppers, Judas Priest Hell Bent for Leather, Sonata Arctica - Silence.
Here is the stuff which is less known and I like it:
http://i.imgur.com/PyqO4yg.png
Maybe I would add Emir Hot - Sevdah Metal album.
Here is my last.fm profile if it is not enough: http://www.last.fm/user/mudrnudl
Quite interesting is I cannot listen to Blind Guardian or Iron Maiden or Rhapsody whole albums. + I am really picky when it comes to female vocalists.
I am opened to any english lyrics (no problem with dark or even christian texts). And I have no problem with any origin of the band.
So what would you suggest me?

1.- Virgin Steele's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell pt.2.
2.- Twilightning's Delirium Veil or Royal Hunt's Paradox
3.- Cloven Hoof - A Sultan's ransom.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:32 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Iron Fire's Voyage of the Damned is really cool, though I don't think LegendMaker would like it. Nice, dark, meaty PM.

Well, this song alone beats the shit out of everything else I've heard by them so far (extra points for being far less generic than earlier on), but the other few songs I sampled after reading your post all had "computerized" spoken parts that grated my nerves a little bit. I'm not a fan, but I certainly find this more appealing than say, their debut.

mudrnudl wrote:

Okay, your descriptions seem to consistently evoke things to me that the examples you pick contradict. No offense meant, but Lost Horizon I can't do. However, power metal with "legendary vocals", sure: Hollow, Helstar, Jag Panzer, Heir Apparent, Savage Grace... Hmm, none of which is what you're looking for, I'm afraid. Sorry.

mudrnudl wrote:

We have forwarded your request to our Empyreal Department. Thank you for your patience. :D
In the meantime, please have some Visions Of Atlantis while you wait (I know you're peculiar with female vocals, but that's the absolute best I can do in this category).

mudrnudl wrote:

I'd suggest everything by Mania, Angel Dust's 'To Dust you Will Decay', StormWitch's first three albums, a number of songs off of Gravestone's metal period (not all, though, plenty of rock 'n' roll-ish hard/heavy songs as well; then again, same for early Scanner).

mudrnudl wrote:
no problem with dark or even christian texts

Just so you know, I very nearly sigged this. Killer phrasing. :lol:

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:11 am 

Thank you Aydross. All of it except Twilightning's Delirium Veil I have heard already but will give it another try.

@LegendMaker
you tend to destroy me with your comments all the time...
number one - I am afraid as well... The thing which surprises me is you are actually trying to deny Heiman is the best singer I know. How dare you! :D
number two - will try but it will not be a surprise if I don't like it just because of some yelling woman who tries to imitate operatic vocalists...
number three - will give a try also. Gravestorm sounds very promising as I have no problem with hard rock or rock'n'roll

That sentence about lyrics sounds so silly to me now... But I hope you know I meant it like I have no problem with neither of them - it was not meant as a gradation :D

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:43 am 

LegendMaker wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Well, this song alone beats the shit out of everything else I've heard by them so far (extra points for being far less generic than earlier on), but the other few songs I sampled after reading your post all had "computerized" spoken parts that grated my nerves a little bit. I'm not a fan, but I certainly find this more appealing than say, their debut.

You might dig songs like "Leviathan" or "Slaughter of Souls" - haven't heard the album in a few months, but I don't remember any odd vocal intrusions - just killer old school style vocal hooks. I know the album had a few growling parts and all but eh, didn't distract me I guess. :p

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:23 am 

I am looking for bands and albums with LOTS and LOTS of harmonized guitar lines. From 9:38 - 11:09 from Helloween's Halloween would be an example of what I'm looking for. But it doesn't have to be limited to soloing, it can also be in the riffs, like with Helloween's I'm Alive verses.

Now, having said that, I'm not just looking for Helloween clones. I actually pretty much only like Keeper 1 (thought I love it). I've tried Gamma Ray too, and wasn't too impressed. However, Helloween clones are ok, as long as they have tons and tons of harmonized guitars. But I would like recs from all areas of heavy and power metal, including European power metal, USPM, traditional metal, epic metal, whatever, as long as they have lots of harmonized guitar lines.

I already listen to Warlord and Lordian Guard, so no need to rec them.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:43 am 

Check out Hanker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC-AdDERojU) and Archetype (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w-67Zea1JA).

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:57 am 

Rocka Rollas has ONCE AGAIN plans for live shows, we will see in a few weeks how it works out.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:09 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
I am looking for bands and albums with LOTS and LOTS of harmonized guitar lines.

Pharaoh will suit your needs.

HeWhoIsInTheWater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:12 pm 

I really like the band Hollow, from Sweden, and would dig more music in that style. For reference:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Hollow/2540

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:51 pm 

Manilla Road have released a full track from Mysterium. It's the first song, "The Grey God Passes"

http://shadowkingdomrecords.bandcamp.co ... /mysterium

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:39 pm 

Goddamn excellent MR song, sounds like this album could be pretty promising. I just wish it wasn't fucking Hellroadie. Shelton has so much more character and charisma. Even so, still rips pretty hard. Hope to hear some Shelton on the album though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:57 pm 

Hellroadie isn't bad, but yeah, I never really thought he was anywhere near as good as Mark. Except apparently on Spiral Castle where he sang everything, and it sounded brilliant. But Mark's voice on Voyager and the Hellwell album is a big highlight for me - sort of like an old mage imparting his last secrets, telling stories of epic battles of yonder days...

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:05 am 

I don't get the animosity towards Hellroadie, though that's probably because I have a hard time distingushing between him and Shelton.....

Anyway, I think the new song sounds terrific.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:12 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Mark's voice on Voyager and the Hellwell album is a big highlight for me - sort of like an old mage imparting his last secrets, telling stories of epic battles of yonder days...

Best description.

New song rules.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:56 am 

I'm generally a fan of Hellroadie's voice but he sounds wonky to me on that track. Almost like its just one of those test runs where the vocalist is still figuring out how he's going to deliver certain lines. I don't know, just sounded unusually flat when I know he has a fairly vibrant set of pipes.

Everything else sounds great to me. I think Shelton is getting about the best "modern" tone you can these days.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:25 pm 

Good riffs, alright vocals, but man that guitar tone is ass. I'm sorry, I just can't get over how bad that guitar tone is; it sounds like a crappy $50 solid-state practice amp. How hard can it be to get a decent tone these days? Hell, I love the guitar tones on classic MR albums (Open the Gates, especially), but this is just awful.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:53 pm 

Riff reminds me of Deadly Nightshade, and I'm sure a few other MR songs (riff during solo of Hack It Off). Love the wacky guitar tone. I've come to expect Mark to use a tone nobody else does.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:32 pm 

I dunno, Hellroadie was cool on Spiral Castle and GoF but he's sounded pretty lackluster on the last two albums, and he sounds pretty lackluster here. Still far from terrible though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:42 pm 

He just doesn't have the grit and Shelton-imitating nasally power on this song. It sounds like he's trying to actively distance himself from a Shelton-esque sound, which is OK, but the vocals just aren't that great. Luckily the song itself is cool. I like the production, too. For a song titled "The Grey God Passes," this whole thing sounds suitably gloomy and foreboding.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:06 pm 

Man I don't even think the guitar tone sticks out at all. Sounds fine to me. Maybe I'm just more used to listening to demos than you guys.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:24 pm 

We know Oblarg is a snob :) I thought the solo was quite cool myself and the guitar tone was perfectly fine, as solid as in POTD (I'm listening to the album right, it's awesome)

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

teh_ultra_warriorre
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:28 pm 

So what do you guys think of Galneryus? Japan neoclassical band, NOT the typical visual kei - symphonic touhou - whatever the crap that is. They replicate the sound of euro PM (and admittedly they do it better than most euro pm bands today), so far the guitar's a guilty pleasure to listen to. Haven't listened to much of them, will probably halve to look into more

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:32 pm 

teh_ultra_warriorre wrote:
Haven't listened to much of them, will probably halve to look into more

Not an ability most of us have, but it sure sounds useful.

teh_ultra_warriorre
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:39 pm 

yeah, whoops.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:45 pm 

May have missed it, but what is the consensus on the new Helloween? Worth a purchase?

Must say, I'm excited for the new Enforcer album. The production sounds like a better fit for them, not to say I hated how Diamonds sounded.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 374, 375, 376, 377, 378, 379, 380 ... 624  Next