Metantoine wrote:
That's an awful pun :lol:

SHUT UP.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:00 pm 

Helvede wrote:
I just accepted one more Nemesis.

At this point at least half of them should change their name to Nemeses.

~Guest 298739
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:19 pm 

Death- 1

I love it

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:33 pm 

I always thought that if I could ever put enough songs together, I would name my band Torquemada, based mainly on the 2000AD character though, but I checked the site and was saddened to see that it had already been used, so I've decided to go with Dark Steak instead.

As for generic band names, I've always had a problem with bands that begin with 'Necro-', I can just never remember most of them.

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:05 pm 

Ha-ha, thank you, always wondering about that kind of list :D Well, Legion can be #1 because there is Russian metal band (well-known) Легион too... ;) Hm, when I was starting listening to metal, and came across local web encyclopedia, there were three death metal bands that made me laugh because of their unoriginal names: Blood, Death and Grave. Obviously, I'd started to listen death metal with these three bands :) Now it's good to see that such names are not very common and it is surprising! Trying to be creative doesn't always mean you're supposed to be creative.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:38 pm 

waiguoren wrote:
I always thought that if I could ever put enough songs together, I would name my band Torquemada, based mainly on the 2000AD character though, but I checked the site and was saddened to see that it had already been used, so I've decided to go with Dark Steak instead.

That's probably because of the real life Tomas de Torquemada, who was the first Grand Inquisitor of the Spanish Inquisition and notoriously ruthless in hunting down Jews.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:11 pm 

^ What is your point?

How many bands have been named after bad people/eras in history?
Furthermore, there's a million reasons people employ these names.

An example:
Jan AG on the name 'Agathocles' wrote:
Agathocles is the name of an ancient Greek tyrant who sacrificed his own children to obtain power. For us, it symbolizes mankind which sacrifices its own creativity to conform like sheep.

If that were a more contemporary name ("HITLER", or something equally obvious, for example), it might be deemed "offensive" to some knee-jerk reactionary, but most people are smart enough to ask questions before making baseless assumptions.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:49 pm 

Untangle your knickers, fella. I was just saying that it's most likely the band is named after Tomas de Torquemada rather than the 2000AD character, and that it's not particularly surprising there's already a band by that name considering where the name comes from.

Zushakon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:52 am 

Then it's decided, my new band shall be called Nemesis Legion and our debut album will be called Requiem for Oblivion.

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:29 am 

In the 1980s people would ask:
1. Is there another band with that name?
a. are we bigger than them? If so, who cares.
b. are they still around? If not, who cares.
c. are they from a different country? If so, we don't care.

It's a shame that apparently some bands from the 2000s seem to have the same attitude.

examples (not necessarily metal, just examples):
1. a. Asia (UK) sued Asia (US) out of existence.
1. b. Kingdom Come (1980s band) vs. Arthur Brown's 1970 band.
1. c. perhaps not the best examples, but the UK bands Chameleons and Mission had to change their names to Chameleons UK and Mission UK for US releases and tours. I think the US bands may have formed earlier, but the UK bands were not necessarily aware of their existence. Also can have something to do with officially registering the name.

Keep in mind that the list from the original post is much bigger if we take into account non-metal bands and bands not on the Archives with the same names as ones from the Archives.

An interesting example of 1. a. from the early 2000s is the indie band Barefoot Contessa (featuring a member from Mithrandir, a band which some people on here may know about). They got sued by the cooking show of the same name. Both seemed to be based on a 1954 film if I'm not mistaken.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:54 am 

Dark Morbid Death.

ThouShaltSuffer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:18 pm 

I'm pretty sure all together they'res like 50 bands named Legion or something.
Mayhem is another unoriginal as hell name, the Norwegian Black Metal MayheM pretty much overshadows every other Mayhem, apart from on Last.fm where the page is being desecrated by this furry dogfucker manchild who makes songs about shark's vaginas.

dreadmeat wrote:
do we think naming a band after a song or album of another band is a bit, ummm what's the word? :roll:

There's also the two Chapel of Ghouls from France.

the_raytownian wrote:
"HITLER"

lol me and a friend were typing in stupid shit in the search bar the other day and found Hitler and one of my other friends was talking about them to me yesterday.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:34 pm 

^oh, wow... hahaha. I would've never guessed. Somehow, it's not really surprising. Even less surprising they were from Russia for some reason.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3