PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:18 pm 

Sokaris wrote:
Just bought a Super Nintendo from a friend with the following:
Act Raiser
Alien vs Predator
Sim City
Super Metroid
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

I've also got Castlevania IV and Dracula X to play through as well.

The Super Metroid cartridge didn't want to load but after a lot of swipes of rubbing alcohol it seems good to go. Aww hell yeah.

Great find. I still play SNES often. Probably the best console ever, so many really great games.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:10 am 

Really liked the demo for DmC. Can't wait to play it fully.

Anarchy Reigns continues to amuse. I wouldn't say it's the best thing Platinum Games have produced, but there's something very satisfying about this about beating the crap out of everything. Finished the Black side of the story, now onto the Light side. It's definitely better than Madworld, which it still reminds me of. The OST is actually really good, it's not my type of music so I thought I'd hate it.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:17 am 

My cousin was going on about it. What exactly do you do in it? I assumed because some different Platinum characters were in it, that it was a straight-up fighter.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:15 pm 

I'm fucking excited for THIS.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:46 pm 

I love CD Projekt Red. Hopefully they will not disappoint.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:05 pm 

Xeogred, since you're the resident Tactics Ogre fanboy... I don't recall if you ever played the PSP port? Was it worth the $20?

I'm considering getting it for my PSP since I have a lot of travelling coming up and could use some portable gaming, but I have some hurdles. First, my PSP analog stick is broken. I checked online and tried the methods to fix it without dismantling the PSP and it didn't help. So I have to play games that don't require it. FFT: War of the Lions was fine (the analog stick only serves to adjust the camera, and the stick works for sideways movement, it's only up and down that it doesn't work). So is Dracula X/SotN. I assume Tactics Ogre doesn't require it either or that it's similar to FFT and only for turning the camera on the battlefield.

Another problem is that Tactics Ogre from PSN requires 1.1 gig of space, and I only have 2 sticks of 512 megs each :lol: (Yeah, it's old shit. I hadn't touched my PSP since the stick broke like 2+ years ago). I could buy a new memory stick, but that's more money to spend on possibly just for Tactics Ogre... well, I suppose I could stick some music or movies on it too while I'm at it. Or get a physical copy.

Anyway, if anyone have PSP recommendations that don't require the analog stick, I'm all ears. The PSP games I already own are:
* FFTactics: War of the Lions
* Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (includes Rondo of Blood port + SotN port -- I played SotN more than Rondo of Blood... xD)
* Jeanne d'Arc
x Silent Hill: Origins
x Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
x God of War: Chains of Olympus (I blame that stupid game for breaking my stick... it started messing up after doing some stupid circle-motion QTEs :mad:)

What else is there that's worth getting?

* = playable, no analog stick required
x = unplayable on my PSP at the moment due to broken analog stick

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:13 pm 

I'm way more looking forward to Witcher 3, but I may be giving that Cyberpunk a look too. While I have no immediate interest in the setting, they are probably my favourite video game developer now (Piranha Bytes has lost my favour since all that Risen 2 bullshit) and I do owe them it. Hell, maybe it'll be CD Projekt RED that creates an interest in cyberpunk settings for me, Mass Effect is the reason I'm now somewhat interest in spacey sci-fi, so.. who knows. I have faith in them delivering another fantastic game at any rate.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:38 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Xeogred, since you're the resident Tactics Ogre fanboy... I don't recall if you ever played the PSP port? Was it worth the $20?

It's definitely worth it I'm sure, although I played the SNES/PSX version. They changed so much in the remake mechanics wise they sound like two very different experiences, but yeah I'm sure it's still great and if you want something that'll keep you busy for awhile, it can definitely be pretty long. I think I had close to 60 hours when I beat it, but I did a lot of this big bonus dungeon so that ate up some time.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:41 am 

Oh, I thought you had played it. Well, I saw the retail version isn't going much higher as the PSN version, so I might just take that and avoid paying for an additional memory stick. I hope no analog stick is required in that remake...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:28 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
My cousin was going on about it. What exactly do you do in it? I assumed because some different Platinum characters were in it, that it was a straight-up fighter.

Beat the shit out of everything = The Game.

Seriously though, there are a few well known Platinum games characters, Jack, Mathilda and The Black Baron from Madworld, Bayonetta as a DLC character. The main focus of the game is online multiplayer battles. The campaign is very flimsy, but it gets you prepared for the mayhem of online. There isn't really much to it, it has a few minigames here and there, but it is a straight out 3D brawler. You have random events that can happen while playing. Your mileage depends on how much you like that sort of stuff. I've heard people saying it's the closest we'll get to God Hand again, but I've never played that title so I can't really see the comparison.

~Guest 183305
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:00 pm 

Anything good on Steam for under 10?

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:11 pm 

Deus Ex.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:18 pm 

I enjoyed the PSP remake of Tactics Ogre quite a bit. Never played the original versions.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:36 am 

ACM wrote:

It isnt now, but you can sometimes get Left for dead, Dead Space, and a few others for $5 a piece.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:54 am 

Nahsil wrote:
I enjoyed the PSP remake of Tactics Ogre quite a bit. Never played the original versions.

Does it require the analog stick to play? I saw UMD versions for a decent price on eBay, tempted... wouldn't have to worry about the 1.1 gigs of space it requires from PSN too.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:58 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
It isnt now, but you can sometimes get Left for dead, Dead Space, and a few others for $5 a piece.

Well, all games on Steam will be $5 or less for a time eventually.

ACM wrote:

Sure. Especially if you included $9.99 as "under 10". :) You know that you can use the advanced search to search for games by price and Metascore?

"Anything good" is pretty vague for recommendations, but some random picks from their under $5 list:

• Portal 2 is currently on daily sale (for 11 more hours). It pretty much needs no introduction and I would assume you already have it, but if not, grab it immediately.
  • VVVVVV is quite good and provides an interesting twist (you can't jump per se, you can only switch between walking on the floor and walking on the ceiling) if you like the super-hard platformer genre. (The creator also has a new (and cheap) game out called Super Hexagon that looks pretty nuts, but I haven't played it yet.)
  • The Binding of Isaac is actually one of the Steam games I've played the most, though I seem to be in the minority enjoying it around here. It's like a mix of Rogue-like and the original Zelda. Yes, you have only one life (generally) and need to start all over every time, so be forewarned, but it's different each time.
  • Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom are all classics of course, and still some of the best pure action shooters to this day, bringing to the genre the long-lost fabled art of... level design.
  • Overlord is a pretty cool and unique game that's a mix of action and strategy, in which you play an evil overlord who controls a bunch of minions to do his bidding and wreak havoc. So... yeah, it's kind of like evil Pikmin.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:47 am 

The bidding on THQ's assets begins in approximately five hours. Maybe EA will pick up Metro.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:49 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
The Binding of Isaac is actually one of the Steam games I've played the most, though I seem to be in the minority enjoying it around here.

No you're not. I only remember failsafeman expressing his dislike to TBoI thus far, but I can obviously be wrong.

And ACM, there's a metric SHITLOAD of "good games under $10", so I think it'd be more beneficial for you if you could narrow down your query to specific genres/games you liked and want something similar.

sortalikeadream wrote:
The bidding on THQ's assets begins in approximately five hours.

Right, thanks for reminding me (even though every gaming website would probably cover the outcome anyway).
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Last edited by yentass on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:05 am 

yentass wrote:
HellBlazer wrote:
The Binding of Isaac is actually one of the Steam games I've played the most, though I seem to be in the minority enjoying it around here.

No you're not. I only remember failsafeman expressing his dislike to TBoI thus far, but I can obviously be wrong.

I too enjoyed that game, but not for very long as it can be super frustrating and repetitive.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:11 am 

Haven't spent a lot of time on The Binding of Isaac, but as far as I can tell, it's probably the best coffee break game around, just after Doom: The Roguelike. Load it up, kill bosses, get powerups, die, try again.

Can't wait to get Ni no Kuni for the PS3. I'm not a huge fan of anime, but Studio Ghibli stuff is something special.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:28 pm 

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... k-of-Truth

This is worrisome. I like THQ and was really looking forward to what seems like a South Park game finally doing the series some justice. I guess THQ should just comply with SPS' demands as that just seems to be the sensible thing to do, but copyright law is such a dumb clusterfuck, and I guess THQ is grabbing every straw they can get to improve their situation, even if it means selling part of a beloved brand to Brian knows who.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:59 pm 

If you guys havent seen the new Starcraft cinematic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVbeoSPqRs4

its fucking amazing.

~Guest 183305
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:36 pm 

Everyone's input was appreciated. I like every style of game imaginable. Went through the first 2 pages of 10 and under, just didn't see anything that jumped out at me.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:46 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Nahsil wrote:

Does it require the analog stick to play? I saw UMD versions for a decent price on eBay, tempted... wouldn't have to worry about the 1.1 gigs of space it requires from PSN too.

I'm actually playing through it right now, and as far as I'm aware, you won't need the analog stick. The only that I'm aware of it being "required" for is moving around the world map in an unrestricted mode via a cursor. You can just use the directional buttons, but that just moves you from location to location.
ACM wrote:
Everyone's input was appreciated. I like every style of game imaginable. Went through the first 2 pages of 10 and under, just didn't see anything that jumped out at me.

Get TF2, it's free-to-play with some restrictions.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:54 pm 

ACM wrote:

OK. Here's a list of my favorite $9.99 and below games (base price, sales aren't included):

Spoiler: show
Section 1 - Awesome games ("4.5 or 5 stars out of five")
The Binding of Isaac + Wrath of the Lamb DLC
Cave Story +
Dustforce
Hammerfight
Hotline Miami
Kung Fu Strike
Limbo
Sequence
Symphony
Terraria
Thomas Was Alone
Trials 2 SE

Section 2 - Great games ("4 stars out of five")
Beat Hazard
Braid
Jamestown
Nation Red
Shank
Shank 2
Zombie Driver

If you're flexible with your price limit I'd eagerly suggest opting for Don't Starve (currently $12 for a two-pack).

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:58 pm 

yentass wrote:
ACM wrote:

OK. Here's a list of my favorite $9.99 and below games (base price, sales aren't included):

Spoiler: show
Section 1 - Awesome games ("4.5 or 5 stars out of five")
The Binding of Isaac + Wrath of the Lamb DLC
Cave Story +
Dustforce
Hammerfight
Hotline Miami
Kung Fu Strike
Limbo
Sequence
Symphony
Terraria
Thomas Was Alone
Trials 2 SE

Section 2 - Great games ("4 stars out of five")
Beat Hazard
Braid
Jamestown
Nation Red
Shank
Shank 2
Zombie Driver

Braid's in the second category? You must have placed it there by accident... :P

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:05 pm 

At first I thought everybody was just overreacting to the ending of Mass Effect 3, but then I played it for myself. I was actually irritated. First time I was irritated by the ending of a game that much since Star Fox: Assault.
Still going to buy the DLC anyway, since it looks fairly interesting, and I got about $30-40 to throw away.

Anybody still play any of the Dawn of War games?

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:42 am 

hey wrote:
I'm actually playing through it right now, and as far as I'm aware, you won't need the analog stick. The only that I'm aware of it being "required" for is moving around the world map in an unrestricted mode via a cursor. You can just use the directional buttons, but that just moves you from location to location.

Sounds playable then. Thanks, I ordered the UMD on eBay. :)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:57 am 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
Anybody still play any of the Dawn of War games?

Yes sir, I currently have the first DoW and all the expansions installed. Plus DoW 2, although I'm not the biggest fan of DoW 2. If you're interested in playing, pm me your Steam id.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:11 am 

hey wrote:
Braid's in the second category? You must have placed it there by accident... :P

Probably, yeah. Was wondering about it myself...

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:58 am 

MGR: Revengeance demo had me very pissed off in frustration, especially when I was trying to figure out how to parry.

Still, it was pretty fun. I'll probably pick it up after the price drops.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:20 am 

Windwaker HD announced!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSF-yNvKmjI
http://imgur.com/a/2L6K2

Edit:
New Wii U title from devs of Xenoblade Chronicles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K40orKpbJBU

Downloading Dust514 and Metal Gear Rising demo as I type this post. I really hope Dust514 succeeds, because the concept could be expanded to bring different types of gamers together in the same way that Dust514 and EVE Online players are brought together.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:40 am 

I beat the snot out of Megaman 9 over the weekend. I must say I was pleasantly surprised- nicely challenging and some really good level and boss design. Plus the simple pleasure of returning to an old favorite, it made for a great time.

satanic_neumann
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:52 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
Edit:
New Wii U title from devs of Xenoblade Chronicles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K40orKpbJBU

Just saw this on Neogaf. I must say that i rarely get excited just by teasers/trailers but damn...that looks incredible! Title 'X' definately hints it to become next Xeno rpg.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:30 pm 

That new Monolith Soft game looks awesome. Want.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:38 pm 

Well, at least they show gameplay footage in that teaser, that's rare, so I'll give them that... but the combat is probably gonna be as awful as Xenoblade's. Sigh.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:44 pm 

Buying a Wii U for that, stoked.

Wind Waker HD... eh. I feel like that's one that would benefit the least from HD treatment, since cel shaded games last gen still hold up very well today visually. Oh well, still looks pretty cool.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:42 am 

Ravenlord266 wrote:
I'm fucking excited for THIS.

I saw this online in an article title "best video game trailer ever", and I'd actually er in the opposite. I am so sick of companies putting out a trailer that displays absolutely no gameplay and people salivating over it. The game could be fucking woeful for all we know, just with some real pretty visuals.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:00 am 

No one's talking Ni No Kuni? Well I have to give this game praise.

The story is Studio Ghibli. So make no mistake here it has that feel here and it's very good storytelling.

The music is good. Performed by the Tokyo Philharmonic. Graphics are in gorgeous cartoony HD.

Gameplay. I never played a Pokemon game, but I'm sure this is what it's like. See you're this wizard and you conjure up familiars to help you. These familiars can run out of stamina in battle. So you gotta swap out. Since I just started I only have the first one the game gives you. You all share the same HP and MP.

It's like Final Fantasy where you wander around the map or dungeon and if you see monsters and they run into you or you sneak up from behind for a preemptive strike, then the battle begins. You pick attack, defend, magic, and they do that action for a few seconds and then you can choose again.

So far this is a good JRPG with an excellent story.

What I like here that sets this game apart is its expansive lore. You have a spellbook to access in game. You don't ever really have to read it to play the game. But there's so much content to just enjoy reading on your own with the nice soundtrack in the background. You can read little fairy tales about certain monsters. You can access a beastiary and see what genus and species monsters belong in and read about the monsters. Spells have their own descriptions. It's just a fictional spellbook in every sense. And it's nice they offer that much optional detail.

So I read about my familiar and saw it likes *blank* and I give my familiar this *blank* related thing and it gave my little guy an extra boost. So reading the lore slightly enhances the game.

My first impressions are this is a game that is among the best JRPGs where we got immersed cause we liked the game and found it interesting. It's not like other games that assume open world = immersion. The game is genuinely good.

I haven't played much of it since the game is only 2 days old. So it might be grindy with bad pacing. Or have other issues with difficulty scaling. But so far, this is an excellent JRPG.

satanic_neumann
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:11 am 

Morrigan wrote:
but the combat is probably gonna be as awful as Xenoblade's. Sigh.

Combat and HUD seems really similar yes, it wasn't perfect in Xenoblade but that leaves lots of stuff to improve, no reason to judge yet.

I'd be more concerned about how its clear there will be online involved. Lets hope its not mandatory.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 467, 468, 469, 470, 471, 472, 473 ... 940  Next