Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:19 pm 

Yeah, Kamelot's Black Halo is darker than it initially appears, in a very thematic sort of way. Epica, too, is rather dark in that way, though not quite as sorrowful as BH. Both have this great sense of drama and despair about them, while also having a few upbeat tracks. They're very emotionally varied and wholesome, really.

Dark at Dawn, yeah, good stuff. Of Decay and Desire is pretty unique actually. Kamelot-esque melodies, Grave Digger/Sabaton heaviness and Tad Morose intricacy...intriguing combination, but really they just have their own sound.

LegendMaker wrote:
Of course, if you're more into recent EuroPM, type "Empyreal, help!" instead. :)

Haha, damn right. This new Helloween album is great for instance.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:05 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
As far as dark goes, I think anything darker is Brimstone, before you start delving into melodeath or really thrashy power metal.

We seem to mean different things by "dark". You're apparently using this term to denote the level of aggression of the performance, and/or how "extreme" the arrangements and production are; I use it to indicate that the songwriting in general and the melodies in particular tend to focus more on the sad/deep/serious realm of the emotional spectrum, rather than on the joyful/lighthearted/cheerful realm which is prominent in modern EuroPM and melodeath. I get the impression that you might consider this "darker" than that, whereas it's the opposite for me. From the now several songs I've listened to on YT, Dark At Dawn seems to have a number of melancholic melodies and moments, but they're always balanced out by hopeful counterpoints, or a feel-good, positive-attitude chorus (not quite anywhere near the sappiness of the Santa Chorus Syndrome, though, thankfully) so, to my ears, their overall mood comes across as "slightly concerned but still pretty pumped" instead of "dark". The same holds true for Brimstone: yes, the sound is abrasive, the pace is furious and the vocals are black metal-ish raspy shireks, but the music itself is festive as hell. Again, it's good stuff regardless, just not particularly gloomy. To me, dark power metal would be something like this, and then there's creepy dark power metal.

At any rate, whichever definition MetalMaidenMal goes by, he said "a bit dark", so he should have plenty to explore between our posts. :)

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
While Heaven Wept's Vast Oceans of Lachrymose is an incredible mix of doom and power metal and you may not find anything quite like it (but if you do, please let me know...).

For what it's worth, two bands sprung to mind while listening to this track (and others, as I found this one rather interesting); neither is a perfect fit, and you might know them both already, but just in case: Wuthering Heights (quite a bit more folky and all over the place, but they have plenty of great songs not too far removed from this style) and Winter's Verge (a little less all over the place, but otherwise close enough, I think). Early DoomSword also came to mind but nah, it's not close at all, it's just the power/doom association, I guess, but DS is much closer to doom and WHW to power.

Empyreal wrote:
LegendMaker wrote:
Of course, if you're more into recent EuroPM, type "Empyreal, help!" instead. :)

Haha, damn right. This new Helloween album is great for instance.

You know what? It's not bad (baby steps, here)! :beer:

MetalMaidenMal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:27 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
Which periods of Helloween and JP have you tried?

The first Helloween album I heard was Gambling with the Devil, which I love. Since then of course I've gone back and checked out a lot of their other stuff. Keeper of the Seven Keys and The Dark Ride are great. I think I have their whole discography, and there are a lot of albums I don't know very well yet, but I pretty much enjoy all of it.

As for Jag Panzer, I discovered them when I looked up Chris Broderick after I saw him play with Megadeth, so I guess I've spent more time on their later stuff like Casting the Stones, even though it's not as easy for me to get into. I really should listen to their early stuff more. I just put on Ample Destruction to refresh my memory and I'm really liking it. They were definitely thrashier back then. Also less polished, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. They've really changed over the years. For example, I notice on Ample Destruction the vocals remind me of Rob Halford, and on Casting the Stones they're a little more toward Bruce Dickinson. Both good sounds.

Quote:
whichever definition MetalMaidenMal goes by, he said "a bit dark", so he should have plenty to explore between our posts.

I guess I was a bit vague, but both definitions sound good to me. I like a more aggressive playing style, and I also like lyrics and melodies that explore some serious themes instead of being lighthearted all the time. As a side note, it doesn't really matter but it's "she". Hence "Maiden".

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will definitely check them out and see what I think. I'm really hoping this forum will be a good place for me to find new bands to love. Having been a metalhead for a few years, I'm realizing that I've only scratched the surface. Once you get past the big names, there's so much out there it's hard to even know where to start.

MetalMaidenMal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:29 am 

Wow, I think I'm in love with While Heaven Wept. Both tracks just completely blew me away. Must download...
I may end up a Manilla Road fan, as well. Spiral Castle was pretty good, but I loved The Deluge. Definitely have to look into their stuff from that era some more. I find the vocals a little weird, but I can get used to that. I'm working my way through the other suggestions and so far liking them all to varying degrees.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:19 am 

MetalMaidenMal wrote:
As a side note, it doesn't really matter but it's "she". Hence "Maiden".

Haha okay. Well, to be fair I think the male/female ratio among MA users must be something like 1,000/1; by default, "dude" will turn out right much more often than "gal" here. More importantly, I see "Maiden" in a nickname, I automatically think Maiden, Maiden.

MetalMaidenMal wrote:
I notice on Ample Destruction the vocals remind me of Rob Halford, and on Casting the Stones they're a little more toward Bruce Dickinson. Both good sounds.

Both comparisons are fair to all involved, as these are three giants among metal singers right there, but I think Conklin always had a voice and an approach of his own. If anything, his range got lower (and slightly shorter) over the years and his style got a bit more restrained. On AP, he was at 150% on every single line, whereas on more recent recordings, he offers a little less raw power and a bit more contrast. Either way, the Tyrant is consistently awesome.

MetalMaidenMal wrote:
I loved The Deluge. Definitely have to look into their stuff from that era some more. I find the vocals a little weird, but I can get used to that. I'm working my way through the other suggestions and so far liking them all to varying degrees.

Glad to hear that, br... errr... sista!? :metal: :nods:

MetalMaidenMal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:34 am 

Haha. You don't have to try that hard. But yeah, it's an understandable assumption to make, and obviously my choice of the word "Maiden" on a metal forum is non-coincidental. Up the irons! \m/

ShadeOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:59 am 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
Every now and then this help thread basically becomes a MR discussion thread for at least a few pages before going back to normal. By the gods I wish I could enjoy this band but they just don't click! What is their most accessible album for an MR newb?

Yeah. I'm thinking the exact same thing. I remember a few pages back when people recommended them to me, and I just did not like the stuff I heard. I can't really start complaining either, as that would sound extremely stupid. So I think the best thing is to just wait until it's over.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:38 am 

LegendMaker wrote:
BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
As far as dark goes, I think anything darker is Brimstone, before you start delving into melodeath or really thrashy power metal.

We seem to mean different things by "dark". You're apparently using this term to denote the level of aggression of the performance, and/or how "extreme" the arrangements and production are; I use it to indicate that the songwriting in general and the melodies in particular tend to focus more on the sad/deep/serious realm of the emotional spectrum, rather than on the joyful/lighthearted/cheerful realm which is prominent in modern EuroPM and melodeath. I get the impression that you might consider this "darker" than that, whereas it's the opposite for me.

Not at all! Gamma Ray, at least the song you posted definitely sounds lighter the Virgin Steele. But if we're going with your definition of dark, then you have to mention Dark Quarterer, though that fits in with what I'd call "dark" power metal too. Brooding, foreboding, with more "serious" riffing as opposed to the fruitier melodies in, say Dragonforce.

Quote:
For what it's worth, two bands sprung to mind while listening to this track (and others, as I found this one rather interesting); neither is a perfect fit, and you might know them both already, but just in case: Wuthering Heights (quite a bit more folky and all over the place, but they have plenty of great songs not too far removed from this style) and Winter's Verge (a little less all over the place, but otherwise close enough, I think). Early DoomSword also came to mind but nah, it's not close at all, it's just the power/doom association, I guess, but DS is much closer to doom and WHW to power.

Wuthering Heights is incredible! I've heard of them before but never listened to them, but that one song at least is impressive, indeed. I still wouldn't say they sound much like While Heaven Wept, though, same goes for Winter's Verge. It's a little difficult for me to explain, but I feel like While Heaven Wept (on Vast Oceans of Lachrymose) creates this huge epic world, similar to Romanticist paintings like Francis Danby's Opening Of The Sixth Seal.
I've been listening to Doomsword for a while now, though, great band too.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:52 am 

There's a chick into Manilla Road? Wtf? Is the world ending or something? Anyway, good call on that Wulfhook band, Apex, that's some quality stuff. Hope to see a full-length out of them in the not-so-distant future. And eagerly awaiting Mysterium still, although I'm trying not to get my hopes up - chances are it'll be at least good, but to be as good as the albums it's being compared to is a bit unlikely. I'm also looking forward to Solitary Sabred's next album, which supposedly is to be released next month, although they haven't spoken to me about it yet.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:43 pm 

I think someone on here recommended Pagan's Mind to me. This band is awesome, thanks very much. Supremacy, our Kind from Enigmatic Calling is so good.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:35 am 

Might have been failsafe. But yeah, even I don't go near most modern prog and that band is amazing.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:44 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
There's a chick into Manilla Road? Wtf? Is the world ending or something?

I wasn't aware it was an exclusive boys club. You sure make the girls welcome though!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

MetalMaidenMal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:32 am 

I picked up the suggestion of Iron Savior from the first page of this thread, and I'm definitely into them. Similar bands, anyone?

Jophelerx wrote:
There's a chick into Manilla Road? Wtf? Is the world ending or something?

I hope not, but if the world is ending and my taste in music is a part of it, I guess that's pretty metal.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:39 am 

http://thetrueatlanteankodex.blogspot.d ... pdate.html

This will be awesome, I dig the cover art too.
Quote:
2. Sol Invictus (With Faith and Fire) – ca. 10:00: Still (in my humble opinion) the best song we’ve written so far. This will be the album’s “hit” for sure. It’s fast, it’s pounding, it’s glorious. Maybe it’s best described as a mix between Isen Torr and “Blood on Ice”-era Bathory. Scorching.

Damn, sounds good \m/

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:59 am 

Pagan's Mind all damn day.

I also really dig Communic, Circus Maximus, Conception, Scariot, Shadow Gallery, Vanden Plas and Voyager in the realm of power/prog.

and Outworld/Manticora if they count. Slightly more straightforward.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

StillDeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:29 am 

If you like Iron Savior then give Grave Digger a try, Rheingold would be a good start. Actually there is a German power metal scene with abundance of similar sounding bands exemplified by gruff vocals and shredding galore.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:51 am 

MetalMaidenMal wrote:
Wow, I think I'm in love with While Heaven Wept. Both tracks just completely blew me away. Must download...
I may end up a Manilla Road fan, as well. Spiral Castle was pretty good, but I loved The Deluge. Definitely have to look into their stuff from that era some more. I find the vocals a little weird, but I can get used to that. I'm working my way through the other suggestions and so far liking them all to varying degrees.

That While Heaven Wept album is one of a kind, really. Just one of those things I have to sit down and give my undivided attention to.
As for Manilla Road, as I said, they have two very distinct periods, both containing some very fine music indeed.
Also, if you like Iron Savior, maybe Liege Lord will appeal to you? Speedy, face-melting 80's USPM.

Metantoine wrote:
http://thetrueatlanteankodex.blogspot.de/2012/08/the-white-goddess-update.html

This will be awesome, I dig the cover art too.
Quote:
2. Sol Invictus (With Faith and Fire) – ca. 10:00: Still (in my humble opinion) the best song we’ve written so far. This will be the album’s “hit” for sure. It’s fast, it’s pounding, it’s glorious. Maybe it’s best described as a mix between Isen Torr and “Blood on Ice”-era Bathory. Scorching.

Damn, sounds good \m/

YEEESSSSSS. The Golden Bough was good, but it's something I always thought showed how much potential the band had as well. Hopefully this latest will be able to keep the epic feeling while abandoning stopping it from having the same failings as the last.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:43 am 

Girls are more than welcome to like MR, I just feel like I'm walking in a mystical wonderland of dreams. Didn't think such a thing was possible. Cheers on having good tastes triple M, and for Iron Savior sound-a-likes, I recommend the obvious Blind Guardian, Final Prophecy's one and only demo, and Paradox's debut. Can't go wrong with the German monoliths.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:21 am 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
As for Manilla Road, as I said, they have two very distinct periods, both containing some very fine music indeed.

Mark Shelton actually considers Manilla Road to have three eras, as he says the band really started taking off on their musical journey when Randy Foxe joined up.

Rick Fisher era: After Midnight, Invasion, Mark Of The Beast, Metal, Crystal Logic
Randy Foxe era: Open The Gates, The Deluge, Mystification, Out Of The Abyss, The Courts Of Chaos
Revival era: Atlantis Rising, Spiral Castle, Gates Of Fire, Voyager, Playground Of The Damned

I'd have to agree. MR really started thrashing it up once Randy joined. I do love the space/prog rock feel of the early Rick Fisher era though.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:08 pm 

Hmmm, Rage's Trapped! album seems to be one of their most consistent efforts on first listen. It seems that they were trying to distance themselves from the more commercial sound present on Reflections of a Shadow (which isn't a bad album, at all). The 'Fast as a Shark' cover version just seems pointless... as would any cover of that track. Oh well, whatever.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:20 pm 

@BaloroftheEvilEye: Agreed on the Dark Quarterer, 'The Etruscan Prophecy' in particular is one hell of fucked-up, creepy yet captivating ride. Also, glad you liked that Whuthering Heights track; that band's career is very hit-and-miss, but those guys do hit, they're unstoppable. I wish they had focused just a bit more on their outstanding epic progressive power metal side and considerably less on their folky side, but that's just me (I don't much like folky stuff).

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:14 pm 

Dark Quarterer <3
Playground got 10 times more epic for some reason, weird. I'll re-rip my cd, I guess.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:53 pm 

What the Hell?
Continuing on Manilla Road, listening to The Courts of Chaos for the first time and this is one album really sticks out a lot, and yet is still just beautiful. I don't think anything Shelton did sounds like it. And that riff on D.O.A. around the 5:40 mark is so strange yet uplifting. Manilla Road continues to impress.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:42 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Manilla Road continues to impress.

But of course!

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:51 pm 

The production of The Courts of Chaos really bothers me. The album is tinny and staticky throughout. That plagues most of their albums but the result was a lot "flatter" sounding this time around. I suppose it's mostly the electronic drums that turns me off, to be honest. It's unfortunate, because the songwriting is still top-notch. "Into the Courts of Chaos" and "The Books of Skelos" follow classic Manilla Road formulas and the latter mutates into this intense thrasher (the demonic vocals more than halfway in are perfectly fitted too).

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:37 pm 

The Courts drums sound pretty unique. Can't say I hate them-- I think they give that album even more charm. Actually, Courts' my favourite album. I just can't stand (not really-- I just find it too slow and long) the cover track DOA, so I deleted it from my harddrive rip, and skip it when I listen to the CD. I like the 1-2-3 punch of 'The Road To Chaos', 'Dig Me No Grave', and 'Into The Courts Of Chaos'.

Last edited by MARSDUDE on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:43 pm 

I know it's hopeless but is there seriously nothing else out there like Solitude Aeturnus' first two? Haha, I keep going back... can't get enough.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:21 am 

Hey guys, check out the band 'Evil Killer' for some great melodic speed metal. They are giving away their 5 track demo over at http://evilkiller.bandcamp.com/ and I have to say that this demo has better production than some full lengths I have come across lately. Everything on this demo kicks ample amounts of ass. Hopefully a full length is in this band's future.

Enjoy :metal:
http://evilkiller.bandcamp.com/

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:26 am 

I dig the music on that Evil Killer stuff a lot but dudes vocals kinda ruin it for me... something about them just doesn't sit right... which is a shame because the instrumentation is great.

Just came across Ranger and this track they have up off a forthcoming cassette, color me very interested
http://rangerheavymetal.bandcamp.com/track/supreme-evil
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:19 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
vocals kinda ruin it for me

Yeah, he has some of that 'second language' accentuation going on that can make it sound kind of strange, but I like them enough.

Quote:
Just came across Ranger and this track they have up off a forthcoming cassette, color me very interested
http://rangerheavymetal.bandcamp.com/track/supreme-evil

Sounds good. Production is a little distant, but I love the riffs, and I am a sucker for gang shouts. Vocalist is definitely killer here using both evil sounding mids, and shrieking highs. Great find!

Also, Ranger is such a metal name :headbang:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:15 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Might have been failsafe. But yeah, even I don't go near most modern prog and that band is amazing.

Not me. They're basically the perfect example of modern power/prog I don't like. All slick and boring. Conception rule super hard, though.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:20 pm 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
vocals kinda ruin it for me

Yeah, he has some of that 'second language' accentuation going on that can make it sound kind of strange, but I like them enough.

I've listened to the demo 3 or 4 times now and the vocals are bothering me less on subsequent listens... and honestly the instrumentation is good enough that I can deal with it haha.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:16 pm 

I've listened to the demo 3 or 4 times now and the vocals are bothering me less on subsequent listens... and honestly the instrumentation is good enough that I can deal with it haha.

I find this happening a lot myself, especially regarding speed metal, a genre that doesn't deliver to often on great singers :lol: But I almost always get used to a vocalist if the instrumentation is worth it. I hold Helloween's WOJ in an almost godly esteem, but even I will admit Kai's vocals are quite green on that one, but they just work in their amateur delivery. and without him as vocalist, it would would be strange. I find this to be true with many in the genre.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:32 pm 

As far as modern progressive metal goes I like Outworld although they would have been much better if it wasn't for the exaggerated instrumental work the bandmembers are capable of. (Probably the most heard argument against progressive metal?) Are Conception a good example of modern progressive metal though? To me they stick between the old school stuff (Queensryche, Arch era Fates Warning) and the more famous ''true prog'' works of say, Dream Theater.

Another band that I think fits the modern progressive metal label quite well is Arch/Matheos. It's just so fun and exciting to listen to.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:58 pm 

I have a lot of nostalgia for the first three Pagan's Mind albums...the fourth is crap though, and their most recent hasn't aged as well as I woulda liked. The new Stratovarius seems to be holding up the torch that Pagan's Mind had excellently, though.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:27 pm 

colin040 wrote:
As far as modern progressive metal goes I like Outworld although they would have been much better if it wasn't for the exaggerated instrumental work the bandmembers are capable of. (Probably the most heard argument against progressive metal?) Are Conception a good example of modern progressive metal though? To me they stick between the old school stuff (Queensryche, Arch era Fates Warning) and the more famous ''true prog'' works of say, Dream Theater.

Conception are modern in the sense that they were one of the first bands to play in the style of power/prog that became popular in the later 90s and early 00s. Lots of syncopated single-chord riffs, soaring vocals, some keyboard stuff in the background, etc. Circus Maximus would be another example of one of those bands. They're quite distinct from Queensryche and Dream Theather. Dream Theater doesn't have any of the power metal stuff usually, and focuses a lot more on instrumental prowess.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:48 pm 

Yeah, Conception were pretty instrumental in pioneering the prototypical "modern prog/power" sound. They did it a whole lot better than many of the bands they influenced, though.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:56 pm 

I actually can't stand Conception. I'm not even sure why. They just bore me hard.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:49 pm 

10 years ago I think ANTITHESIS was the best "modern" prog metal band. Incredible songs, their own style that wasn't "80s", and great musicians all-around.

Nowadays I hear no one. Maybe MINDWORK but they're a CYNIC clone.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:01 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

Not me. They're basically the perfect example of modern power/prog I don't like. All slick and boring. Conception rule super hard, though.

Wait, I was thinking of Antiquus. I don't like Pagan's Mind at all.

Holy shit whoops. :lol:

Because 99% pretty sure you dig Antiquus.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 373, 374, 375, 376, 377, 378, 379 ... 624  Next