Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:21 am 

I just got done listening to Unleashed's new album "Odalheim", and damn is it something! To be honest, I don't think anyone was particularly excited for this album, or really expected anything from it, especially after the band released a very mediocre and rather uninteresting album with 2010's "As Yggdrasil Trembles" (badass album cover and title aside!). I certainly wasn't in any rush to get it, after being so disappointed by it's predecessor. However, believe it or not, I would say that "Odalheim" is a very high contender for one of the best albums Unleashed has ever done (which is saying alot!!), and is definitely a future classic. For those that don't know, for this album Unleashed took their simple and tough, "galloping" approach to death metal, and fused it with black metal. In my opinion, it turned out beautifully. It took me quite a few listens to "get" the album, but I think I'm finally at the point where it's really starting to "grab me", and I've been playing it quite a bit over the past couple days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCHKN-gmzcM (This has become one of my favorite tracks)

I would say I like it almost as much as "Where No Life Dwells". While none of the songs are as iconic or as monstrous as pretty much that entire album was (no "Before the Creation of Time", "Into Glory Ride", or "Where Life Ends" on here), I feel that there is a greater sense of song-writing, whereas a handful of the songs on that album felt a bit similar too each other in my opinion (still a masterpiece though). Either way, it's great to see such an old band capable of releasing something so wonderful.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:24 am 

I agree, killer album and a welcome surprise really.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:31 am 

Last time I heard it, I thought it was another lifeless Unleashed album. Definitely disagreed with all the positive reviews up on the album page. Maybe I just heard bad songs from it... all 6 bad songs, but then again it's maybe just me.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:36 am 

White Christ is fucking awesome, Odalheim was one of my top 10 for 2012. Unleashed definetly seem like a band that gains creative momentum as opposed to letting it all out at the start.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:46 am 

I have all their albums, yet this one has made zero impact on me. I'd be hard pressed to remember anything from it. Will still give it a few more listens though and see what happens.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:11 am 

I think it is riffy and the songwriting is pretty good. I found myself head banging and growling along with multiple tracks. The solos were fucking awesome too. It was one of the better death metal releases in 2012. I would have it in my top 15 or 20.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:20 am 

I fucking love it lots of great riffs, improved solo work, and the tempo of the album totally improves on the prior album and Hammer Battalion. Every song is of perfect length not staying too long enough just enough to kick your ass, and the main improvement was just the riffs and solos galore on the album. It's probably their best album out of their newer material and it easily killed the newest Cannibal Corpse, Terrorizer, Sinister, and Asphyx albums, I'd go so far as to call it one of the best dm albums of 2012.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:27 am 

Listened to it once. Sounds like standard Unleashed. If it has substance I didn't notice yet.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:57 am 

i'm yet to hear it but i expect it'll sound like most other unleashed, good, but nothing new or exciting.
next time it comes up secondhand i'll grab a copy, i'm definitely a fan of unleashed! :metal:

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:06 am 

It wasn't necessarily bad, but it most certainly bored me to tears. But then again, I was never much of an Unleashed fan to begin with

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:19 am 

Its pretty much the same as the last 4 albums, maybe a bit more brutal, i prefer Midvinterblot out of their later albums.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:32 am 

At one time Unleashed were one of my favourite death metal bands after first hearing them on the "In the Eyes of Death" cd. I followed them up until "Victory" but by that stage I had began to loose interest in them. "Shadows in the Deep" is still my favourite but what came after just was not on par with this release imo and I slowly forgot all about them! Interesting to read the comments about their latest album, might respark abit of interest in me so I will check this out.

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:20 am 

Folkemon_ wrote:
Its pretty much the same as the last 4 albums, maybe a bit more brutal, i prefer Midvinterblot out of their later albums.

I agree that Midvinterblot is good album as well, but I don't understand how Odalheim sounds like it or any of the previous four albums? To me there is a very clear difference between this one and "As Yggdrasil Trembles" and "Midvinterblot" (I don't own/haven't heard "Sworn Allegiance" or "Hammer Battalion" yet so I won't comment on them).

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:34 pm 

i listen to Midvinterblot the most often out of the cds of theirs i have here

XSpidercideX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:05 pm 

Meh. Not a favorite of mine.

Leo762
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:07 pm 

im still listening to it, but it sounds pretty good. I only heard the previous album and it seemed pretty repetitive, they would often just play parts of the song over and over, it seemed like...

Reply to topic