Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:05 pm 

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/518 ... ction-film

Just the other day, before The Atheist Experience aired, Martin Wagner was advertising a new film that he made/is making. The link is above.

I wanted to discuss this because I find serial killers and their behavior very interesting. I like to try to think about their state of mind and what would drive them to behave in such a bizarre and anti-social manner. This incident appears to be a hugely interesting topic that almost no one knows about. Apparently in 1885, three years before Jack the Ripper, a serial killer was on the loose in Austin, Texas. As someone who reads a lot about serial killers, I was shocked to find out that I had NEVER heard of this unsolved mystery before. Apparently this serial killer was dubbed; "Servant Girl Annihilator." And he/she was FAR more prolific than Jack the Ripper was, yet this mystery is virtually unknown to the general public, while on the other hand Jack the Ripper has become a mythical legend now, having movies being made about him/her.

I was just very curious to discuss why this string of murders isn't more well known and... depending on the amount of information that survived, are there any possible suspects that seem viable? I currently have not researched into this much, but if someone else knows more about it, please post!

beeneNOLAdoobie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:56 am 

awesome man! ive lived in austin for about 5 years, originally from texas. I have never heard of this! quite interesting, thanks for posting

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:29 pm 

Jack the Ripper was in one of the largest population centers of his era, while the Servant Girl Annihilator was in a small town on the western frontier. That fact likely accounts for much of the difference in attention between the two.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:37 am 

I'm from Texas too. Hopefully this project turns out great. I've seen a bunch of serial killer docs but not read any books on the subject yet. Have any good recommendations on what you thought were some of the best investigative works on the subject?

I'm familiar with the Hill Side Stranglers from L.A., Ted Bundy, Ed Gein, Dahmer, S.O.S., and a couple of others whose names I can't recall like that old geezer which lured that young girl with an ad on the paper seeking help around the house, and that old Russian hunting the streets for homeless kids who eventually got caught after being released several times. Ridiculous! There's a bunch of others which I can vaguely recall like this one homeless guy who traveled by box-car train and came to find himself a partner who joined him in his persuit of new flesh.

Speaking of Gein, have you seen the fictionalized account of him called 'Deranged'? It's quite old from '74 with all the names changed, but very well done. I just found it on Netflix and I'm surprised I had never seen nor heard anything about it. Roberts Blossom is superb. There's something about the film that's got that vibe that The Texas Chainsaw Massacre had going for it.

~Guest 183305
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:41 pm 

I know a great deal about true crime/serial killers, but the details of this case escaped me. I will check this one out. Thanks for posting!

FloristOfVampyrism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:10 am 

There is a book which links the servant girl annihilator and Jack the Ripper actually, although admittedly that's the only time I've heard of this case.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mammoth-Book-Ja ... 131&sr=1-9

Reply to topic