* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:18 pm 

NorthernDarkness6 wrote:
MorbidEngel wrote:
New York City area, but on the opposite side of the Hudson River (basically, northeastern NJ). There used to be a good one that had a decent selection (if it counts, I saw Crionics - Armageddon's Evolution there once), but it closed down years ago, as did the pretty good Tower Records not too far from here).

Vintage Vinyl is amazing. They have a mega huge Metal section. http://www.vvinyl.com
Also, Generation Records and Bleecker Bob's in Greenwich Village.
http://www.generationrecords.com

And the Princeton Record Exchange http://www.prex.com

The Princeton one is like 5 counties away :(
The Greenwich one is about 45 minutes away too (the only close way to get there is through NYC). I figured there would be north/northwest of the Newark area (I should've specified)

Delduwath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:33 pm 

emmitt246 wrote:
Quote:
You know what, nevermind. I just went to Cheapo last night, word of advice: Don't waste your time with them... That is unless you have $20 to spend on a CD and over $25 to spend on an LP. Even used CD's are around $14. They rip you off, quite badly. Plus, the selection is shit, one little aisle of Metal, definitely not worth burning up any gas you have in your vehicle. Extreme Noise in Minneapolis, on the other hand, I do recommend!

There was a time when you could find a gem or two at Cheapo on Lake Street for about $7, but as far as I can tell those days are gone (I'm not even sure how that place stays in business). I haven't been to Extreme Noise yet, but it's only about a half mile down the road from Cheapo.

I don't know, I recent found an Ozzy LP for $6, a Dio LP for $5.30 (not exactly obscure, but still), a State of Fear LP for $5.30 , and a brand new Carcass cassette for $2.97. There's decent stuff at Cheapo if you dig (and I mean DIG) around for a while. Their "metal" section has been getting truly awful for a while now, though. Best to stick with the used stuff, I think.

Extreme Noise, on the other hand, is fucking awesome. Tons of great vinyl, knowledgeable staff, and mostly decent prices. Lately there's been a lot of stuff from Nuclear War Now!, Southern Lord, and Hells Headbangers Records in there, and even the used stuff has netted me a lot of gold recently. They also stock tons of great punk and crust records if you're so inclined. Highly, highly recommended, especially if you're already at Cheapo. I happen to live pretty close to the store, so I wind up there pretty frequently and only rarely do I leave without spending at least $20.

Also, has Into the Void in downtown St. Paul been mentioned in this thread yet? It's a new(ish) metal-only shop with (from what I can tell) a well-curated selection. Well worth a stop if you're at Station 4 or happen to be in downtown STP for some reason.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:17 pm 

Going to LA and San Fran, any good stores to check out? Or clubs/pubs that have a metal night, etc. Thanks for the replies!

Einzige
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:57 am 

Anything in or around St. Louis, Missouri?

emmitt246
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:00 pm 

Delduwath wrote:
I don't know, I recent found an Ozzy LP for $6, a Dio LP for $5.30 (not exactly obscure, but still), a State of Fear LP for $5.30 , and a brand new Carcass cassette for $2.97. There's decent stuff at Cheapo if you dig (and I mean DIG) around for a while. Their "metal" section has been getting truly awful for a while now, though. Best to stick with the used stuff, I think.

Extreme Noise, on the other hand, is fucking awesome. Tons of great vinyl, knowledgeable staff, and mostly decent prices. Lately there's been a lot of stuff from Nuclear War Now!, Southern Lord, and Hells Headbangers Records in there, and even the used stuff has netted me a lot of gold recently. They also stock tons of great punk and crust records if you're so inclined. Highly, highly recommended, especially if you're already at Cheapo. I happen to live pretty close to the store, so I wind up there pretty frequently and only rarely do I leave without spending at least $20.

Also, has Into the Void in downtown St. Paul been mentioned in this thread yet? It's a new(ish) metal-only shop with (from what I can tell) a well-curated selection. Well worth a stop if you're at Station 4 or happen to be in downtown STP for some reason.

I'll probably walk over to Extreme Noise within the next week, and I haven't heard about Into the Void until now. Sounds interesting though.

I gave Cheapo another try earlier this week and here's the thing: there still are some gems to be found in the "New Arrivals" bins, but you have to flip through every goddamn CD because they're in absolutely no order. However if you do come across one excellent release, chances are there are a few more because hardly anyone sells just one or two at a time. When I was there the other day I came across about ten great releases for $2-$8 (Suffocation, Cryptopsy, Nile, Origin, Cathedral, At the Gates, Morbid Angel, Monstrosity, ect.). Nothing the least bit rare though. The metal section is relatively well-stocked with a good used release here and there, but most of it is way overpriced. Overall the store is still worth visiting on about a once a month basis.

Koji_Sunioj
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:08 am 

Einzige wrote:

I can't speak for St. Louis, but if you ever visit Springfield, there is a really good metal store called 'Stick it in Your Ear' in the town center.

As for myself, I live in Lafayette, IN. Any suggestions for here, or in the Indianapolis area would be great. Also, if possible, venues or bars that are known for metal gigs.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:58 pm 

somefella wrote:
Going to LA and San Fran, any good stores to check out? Or clubs/pubs that have a metal night, etc. Thanks for the replies!

For SF, Amoeba Records in the Haight (corner of Haight and Stanyan st's) has probably the best music selection that I'm aware of in the bay area, metal or otherwise. There's also Rasputin Records which is a block off the main street downtown but it doesn't have quite as varied of a selection there. If you're into black metal (and find yourself in the Mission District of the city, you should check out Aquarius Records, they also keep inventory on their website here but I'm not sure how often it's updated. There's a great hangout spot in Oakland called Eli's Mile High Club (essentially an oasis of crust punks and hessians in whats otherwise one of the worst areas of the city) and it's even about 2 blocks off of the train system that services the bay but it's not the safest area to be walking around alone after a night of drinking. There's also this guy who keeps a running list of just about every punk/rock/metal show in the greater bay area as well, there's always something to see if you're not too picky about what it is

~Guest 227866
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:26 pm 

St Johns, Newfoundland? (very doubtful)

Vern74
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:04 pm 

Einzige wrote:

There is Vintage Vinyl in the delmar area near Washington University, CD Warehouse in the South County area, Metalheadz on the Illinois side in Granite City, Joe's Records a little furthur in Mt. Vernon IL, and Slacker's which can be found all over the area, I visit the one in Fairview Heights almost weekly.

~Guest 300273
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:58 pm 

blackdiamond74 wrote:
For folks around Chicago the best place I've found since the demise of Metal Haven is, surprisingly, Reckless Records. Yes it's known as a hipster haven. They have three locations (one downtown I've never been to, one on the north side in Lakeview I've been to lots, and one in Wicker Park I've been to a handful of times) and they have their own metal section. It's not big but you can find some pretty obscure stuff in there. In the non-metal sections you'll find the more popular metal bands have their own category (Metallica, Priest, Maiden, etc). It's totally a crap shoot though since it mostly depends upon what people are trading in. You can go there one week and find a Hate Forest disc and the next week nothing might suit your fancy (not that Hate Forest would). They also have a decent vinyl selection for metal selections.

Another place is Rolling Stone Records right near the intersection of Harlem and Irving Park. It's an okay place for someone looking for metal but you most likely are not going to find something obscure or way out of the mainstream. So if you're looking for the latest grind or black metal gem you probably should be looking elsewhere. When they do carry something it will a lot of times be a stack of 10 of the same release (i.e. Deicide's new release but nothing else from their discography). Very limited vinyl although they do (or did) have special table of cool stuff for that Record Store Day thing in April.

The last place is 2-3 storefronts down from Rolling Stone Records. I don't even know the name but it's a small store that carries a ton of t-shirts and hoodies. They also have a small section in back with some underground stuff. For example last time there I picked up Blood in the Wells (Drudkh) and Fallen (Burzum). Decent little store. I don't recall any vinyl however.

For someone looking for vinyl there's stores smattered through the city and 'burbs that will carry metal selections, but again, it's based on serendipity. But that's the fun of it, you never know what you're going to find.

Reckless suprised me with their metal selection. Found some good stuff there. Out of all the record stores I've been to recently Reckless had the best selection. Like you said, it's not the greatest but I got Death's old "Death by Metal" demos from when they were Mantas. Still looking for a place though.

DeathWillCome
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:43 pm 

It is a shame that in Ecuador, there are so few music venues. And that adding the little variety the venues have. You're lucky if you find a record of any modern band. (metal)

Khayyal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:28 am 

Anyone know of any shops in Arkansas (northwest / river valley) or around Tulsa?

Metal Saviour
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:49 am 

Why can't you guys google it like normal people?

MetalMaidenMal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:47 am 

Seattle?

Garyuu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:18 pm 

Metal Saviour wrote:

Why are you an ass? Not every store has a website, or might not show up with a simple google search. Recently I did learn of store from this thread that never showed from using google.

666bird
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:38 pm 

MetalMaidenMal wrote:
Seattle?

Have you been to Zion's Gate on Capitol Hill? It's on Pike and I think 11th? It shares an entrance with a skate shop right on the corner, so it can be easy to miss. Good selection, but prices can be steep... but I used to find shit there all the time that I sometimes can't even find browsing the internet. Right around the corner is Eliot Bay Books (awesome bookstore) and across the street from that is Everyday Music which specializes in used CD's, the selection there changes dramatically all the time and every once in a while someone unloads a big metal collection. Right next to it is an awesome taco shop called Rancho Bravo. I used to go there all the time when I lived in Seattle, shop for records and books, get some tacos...

I recently moved from there to San Diego, and still haven't found any cool record shops down here (but the taco selection has improved). Anyone know of anything?

Ira Divina
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:07 pm 

I couldn't find a search through topic option yet, so I'll ask for a shop in Vienna, Austria.
If it has been asked already, I am sorry for asking again.
Seyn Todt in Schwartz!

Satanwolf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:20 pm 

In Bangkok, Thailand there are two (or three): Metal Quest, third floor of the Pratuman Mall, and Triple Six, right next to Record Hunter shop, ground floor of the Century Mall near the Victory Monument. These two shops are killer, with CDs and cassettes, t-shirts, dvds, magazines, patches and other accessories. Record Hunter is cool if you're into vinyl. Not specifically metal, but some cool metal albums, and I know that the owner is a metal fan. Stay heavy and damned in the name of Satan and metal!!

ShadezofBlack69
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:06 am 

A great idea, but I doubt opening a store dedicated to just metal would be very profitable.

Satanwolf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:13 am 

An update to my previous post. Triple Six CD shop in Bangkok has recently changed locations. The shop is now on the first floor of Krungthep Apartments on Soi Rang Nam, near the Victory Monument. The new shop is bigger and very cool, and you can purchase the new Brimstone Fist album, Hellmetal, there (shameless self-promotion). Likewise, Record Hunter has moved to Fashion Mall, 4th floor, also near the Victory Monument.

Ell
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:45 am 

Ira Divina wrote:
I couldn't find a search through topic option yet, so I'll ask for a shop in Vienna, Austria.
If it has been asked already, I am sorry for asking again.

Ahh there's a place called Totem Records in Vienna. I found their website http://www.totem-records.com/

Not sure what all may have changed there, as it's been several years since I was last in Austria.

Also, I just noticed the Belphegor lyrics in your sig. You would probably enjoy their selection, although I can't really say that it's the best I've ever seen. There was a shop I once visited in Zuerich called Knockenhaus which was pretty much fantastic, and I do believe they had locations in Austria as well. Once again though, it's been a couple of years since I've been home :(

Ell
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:55 am 

Now, I know for a fact that there are no good record shops anywhere particular to where I live, but would anyone happen to know of one near either New Orleans or Dallas?

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:12 am 

Does anyone know of any metal shops in South Carolina, spacifically near the Pee Dee area?

BlackToothGrin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:14 pm 

Any metal shops near Brisbane, Australia?

~Guest 300273
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:33 pm 

Recently checked out Amoeba records in L.A. Pretty awesome record shop. Its insanely huge and took me a while to find the metal I wanted (if is not mainstream it'll be classified under their "black metal" section) They had a nice selection though, and even scored myself a Death coffee mug haha.

soulonfire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:24 am 

Anything in Panama City, Panama? I mean, I used to live there and am moving back, but it's been fourteen years and I don't think the stores I used to haunt are around anymore.

Use Baloo and calypso music.

MichaelSnoxall
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:52 am 

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

More specifically, a record store that sells lots of metal. Preferably osdm. I want lots of dm on vinyl.

~Guest 300273
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:52 pm 

Metal Saviour wrote:

you get better insight on shops from fellow metalheads on this site. I've found this to be more helpful than google. although google is quicker.

BlackNarcissus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:43 pm 

Hey guys, I just moved to Sacramento, CA and I didnt see a lot of metal shops , or even metal people around here.. Any suggestion ? Thanks.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:36 pm 

I don't know about shops but there's definitely a healthy scene there. Chronaexus/Minenwerfer are excellent black metal bands that share members and seem to play pretty regularly. For death metal there's Embodied Torment, Killgasm, Slaughterbox as well as Plague Widow, though the latter doesn't seem to be particularly active. Most of these bands are signed or at least affiliated with Buried In Hell Records, which is also a local label. For shows look up the venues The Colony, and On the Y. Last time I played up there there was a guy running a small distro at the merch table though with, I think, mostly local bands/releases.

Delduwath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:49 am 

I just took a trip down to The Electric Fetus in Minneapolis today to pick up something for a friend, and I was surprised that there was as much metal there was there was. I picked up a couple used LPs, and saw a number of other good records around--Voivod's latest, for example. If you've got time to kill and feel like smelling a bunch of patchouli candles in addition to scouring for a more-curated selection of used vinyl than you might find at Cheapo, give The Electric Fetus a shot.

God of shadows
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:51 pm 

Does anyone know a metalshop in or close to Härnösand in Sweden? Or just the closest one, if it is that bad.

Goat_Scrot
Metal newbie

Location: Subletting a Finnish Goat-Hut at the Ross Bay Cemetery
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:22 am 

In Victoria, BC, Canada we have a few choices:

BLACK RAVEN RECORDS - Musician owned, TOTALLY dedicated to Black/Death metal, Punk/crust/hardcore, and a bit of 'classic' metal. Cheapest prices I have EVER seen, lp's go for $18 - $27 !!! tons of 7' ep's, cd's, shirts, patches,books,ect. EASILY the best store I have EVER been in. I urge ANYONE anyone living in Vancouver to take the ferry over rather than pay SCRAPE's prices and supporting overall Yiddishery (if that's a REAL word)

DITCH - what a record store should look like, every genre stocked and good prices. You can find vintage lp's, new lp's, cd's and books. My second choice when looking for Metal, new or old.

Lyles - While at one point this was 'the place' to go, it has become a joke with the highest prices in town and a shit selection. Beatnicks work there and have no idea about what they are selling.

w0Lf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:34 pm 

Any good places to shop for death metal in Chicago?

I realize this has probably been asked numerous times, but I want up to date info and I don't want to dig through pages and pages of thread.

~Guest 300273
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:39 pm 

w0Lf wrote:

I realize this has probably been asked numerous times, but I want up to date info and I don't want to dig through pages and pages of thread.

Your best bet is Reckless Records. It's not a metal only shop but they have a good selection of metal. Theres about three locations in the city, cant remember which one i've had my best haul from. As for a metal only shop, i havent had any luck finding one. You wont find a huge collection of death metal but youll get some good albums, its definetly worth checking out.

w0Lf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:49 pm 

Unded Infidel wrote:
w0Lf wrote:

Your best bet is Reckless Records. It's not a metal only shop but they have a good selection of metal. Theres about three locations in the city, cant remember which one i've had my best haul from. As for a metal only shop, i havent had any luck finding one. You wont find a huge collection of death metal but youll get some good albums, its definitely worth checking out.
Yeah I've heard of Reckless Records, I'll check them out. Can you remember what the other ones were? I've also heard of Permanent Records and Impulse, were those the ones you went to, by chance?

Did you ever get to go to Metal Haven before they closed? It was an all metal record store with lots of obscure CDs, vinyls, and shirts. I only got to go there once, a little over 3 years ago. A shame they went under.

~Guest 300273
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:16 pm 

w0Lf wrote:

Did you ever get to go to Metal Haven before they closed? It was an all metal record store with lots of obscure CDs, vinyls, and shirts. I only got to go there once, a little over 3 years ago. A shame they went under.

Sorry, I meant three locations of Reckless, I havent found any metal shops yet. I live in Cali now so whenever I go home I dont have to much time to find some shops. Sadly Ive never been to Metal Haven, I heard a lot about it though and I hate that they closed down

Morfiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:54 pm 

I'm not a brick and mortar shop but if you don't have one in your area and are looking for some good metal imports on vinyl, have a look -

Last Rights Records

http://lastrightsrecords.storenvy.com

Webstore: http://www.lastrightsrecords.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Last-Righ ... 657?ref=ts

New Arrivals: Titles from Cynic, Superjoint Ritual, Dimmu Borgir, Athiest, Opeth, Testament and many more!

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:04 pm 

emmitt246 wrote:
When I was there the other day I came across about ten great releases for $2-$8 (Suffocation, Cryptopsy, Nile, Origin, Cathedral, At the Gates, Morbid Angel, Monstrosity, ect.). Nothing the least bit rare though. The metal section is relatively well-stocked with a good used release here and there, but most of it is way overpriced. Overall the store is still worth visiting on about a once a month basis.

The one in Austin is definitely this way. You go there for used somewhat middle of the road stuff, and you can find first editions and other goodies. It's not for kvlters. Similarly, since Austin is 100% hipster and hipsters have adopted the kvlt mentality, you won't find nu-skool metal for cheaply anywhere. Then again, you know what they say about Austin... Northern California in Central Texas.

Warlocks_amulet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:02 pm 

Looking for a shop in/near the boblingen or Stuttgart Germany areas.
I know of the obvious ones like Saturn, etc.. But looking for some with lesser known bands.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 35  Next