Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Rasc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:44 am 

And Rock in Rio 2013 is going to be:

Spoiler: show
crappy

Rock in Rio 2011 was a good experience, but still a poor festival. There were international artists like Metallica and Motörhead heading it, and awesome bands picked from the Brazilian scene, like Sepultura, Korzus, Nação Zumbi... But still. We had two or three days just with pop artists and, in the main metal day, the first show was from Glória, a crappy screamo band. Seriously, screamo in Rock in Rio? Why?

I'm not expecting a lot from 2013 though. The festival was bought by Eike Batista, a billionaire known for taking unexpected money out of everything. I wonder what he'll include to achieve this. At the moment, attractions and distractions include Sepultura, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Bruce Springsteen, Muse and Avenged Sevenfold. I've heard of rumours that good bands like the Rio local Gangrena Gasosa will be there, but I'm still not expecting much from the festival.

Anyone on?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:04 am 

Muse isn't my cup of tea, but they are good. Avenged I actually like, and they do well enough in front of giant ass crowds if their festival gigs from the last two years are anything to go by. As for the pop groups, I don't mind that as Rock in Rio has had pop acts since the beginning. I liked last year's festival and I'm sure I'll enjoy this year's as well.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Rasc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:01 pm 

Are you coming for it?

Oh, Slayer and Ghost have just confirmed, I'm expecting a lot, really.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:01 am 

I'm a poor American, so I'll be watching the live stream. I would love to go though, if only for Ghost as they're one of my favorite bands.

~Guest 41299
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:34 pm 

Well, even though the festival is called ROCK in rio, ever since it's first edition in 1985 there's are artists from all kinds of music genres (be it pop, rock, electronic, etc.), and that goes for the Lisbon and Madrid editions.

What most metal fans don't get, speacially here in Brazil, is that Rock in Rio is a music festival, not a metal festival like Wacken.

That said, I think, like most editions of the festival, there's some good bands and not so good ones, but then again that happens with every festival even the ones that are metal only.

The Metallica day I think will be a good one, since besides them there will be Sepultura, Ghost and Alice in Chains.
Iron Maiden and Slayer playing on the same day also promises. I know Avenged Sevenfold will also play on that day, but, despite the fact that everyone on MA seems to hate them, I don't know much about them to have an opinion.

In the end, there will be 7 days of music so chances are good bands will play in at least one of them, is just a matter of people choosing their favorite day to atend.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:18 am 

It's Sepultura with Derrick Green. Might as well not even be called Sepultura.

Also, Alice In Chains will be amazing because Alice In Chains is never not amazing. It'll be bone chilling hearing A Looking in View in front of that large a crowd.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:25 am 

Subrick wrote:
It's Sepultura with Derrick Green. Might as well not even be called Sepultura.

It's sad that Derrick gets lots of flak just because he could never fill those big shoes that Max left behind. I saw them live in '05 and thought he was pretty decent live. I'm not saying that this version of Sepultura is great though.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:21 pm 

It's not even that. He's not a very good vocalist and almost every album they've released with him has sucked. The only two albums he's been on that are at all somewhat decent at times are Dante XXI and Kairos.

Also, with Cavalera Conspiracy around nowadays as well as Soulfly's style change to groovy deathrash, the Derrick Green version of Sepultura is all but completely irrelevant.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:47 am 

Subrick wrote:
It's not even that. He's not a very good vocalist and almost every album they've released with him has sucked. The only two albums he's been on that are at all somewhat decent at times are Dante XXI and Kairos.

Possibly. Not that I'm trying to project myself as a "cool guy" but I never really checked out the newer Sepultura albums. They have been dead to me for a long time. And you're right, with CC and Soulfly sometimes doing Sepul covers, Green is almost irrelevant right now.

Reply to topic