Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:32 am 

Well after that failed attempt at turning a spam thread into a serious thread yesterday, this will be a thread to actually discuss Dethklok.

With me, I like Dethalbum I, but it's obviously trying to stay within the gimmick of the show. Dethalbum II is much more its own album, and Dethalbum III is one of 2012's best records. As for the show, it's hilarious.

Not really much more to add being the OP. Discuss away.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

MetalMaidenMal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:03 am 

I love Metalocalypse, although it's gone downhill a bit as they've tried to shove more actual plot into it. The concept is brilliant. It's still hard to believe that they made a show about metal (even more unlikely, death metal), which so few people other than the serious fans understand or care about at all, and not only has it stuck around for several seasons, but it works great as both a tribute and a parody.

And the music! I haven't heard Dethalbum III yet, but I'll have to check it out now. I haven't listened to II as much (Dammit. Gotta add Dethklok to the list of bands I'm neglecting), but I dig the first one because it's genuinely good metal but it's hilarious at the same time. It goes without saying that Thunderhorse and Awaken (which is from possibly my favorite episode) are great. I'm also a big fan of Bloodrocuted for its more simplistic, vocal-driven sound. It's different and it works.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:50 am 

I've read online that III was actually good. I might even bother to buy it soon.
I liked the first one's lyrics, but the music was just kinda average-to-below-average. The second one vastly improved on the music quality whilst lacking those lyrics that were humorous.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

RacoCooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:47 am 

MetalMaidenMal wrote:
I love Metalocalypse, although it's gone downhill a bit as they've tried to shove more actual plot into it. The concept is brilliant. It's still hard to believe that they made a show about metal (even more unlikely, death metal), which so few people other than the serious fans understand or care about at all, and not only has it stuck around for several seasons, but it works great as both a tribute and a parody.

I've only watched Seasons 1 and 2, but I heard the episodes got more serious in Season 4 and kind of toned down the comedy. Kind of silly to do that considering how ridiculous the show is.

That being said, I dig Dethklok. Not just the show, but the music as well. Anyone ever seen the touring version of the band? I saw them back in 2009 with Mastodon, Converge and High on Fire and Dethklok's live sound just CRUSHED. They just sounded incredibly heavy.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:07 am 

Dethklok is one of the lamest/blandest shits ever added to the Archives. The songs are terribly written, the 'riffs' are totally laughable, as well as the vocals; I swear the guy is just whispering! The fact you need to like the show to enjoy it doesn't help much either, cause the lyrics by themselves are completely nonsense, unless you know the (also terrible) jokes.

About the show, I think it's also terrible. I don't feel 'identified' with it and I won't buy this only cause they mention a couple of 'underground' metal bands. I know some metalheads just crave for metal contents in tv, but this is seriously awful.

Not that different than Beavis & Butthead; a couple of metalheads dumb as fuck doing boring shit all the time, watching pop videos and laughing at them and, for being metalheads, they were quite wimpy (looks like the most extreme shit they could hear was metallica - they insulted stuff like death or cannibal corpse).

Yeah, Dethklok is barely metal and has 0% heaviness and attitude to begin with.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:57 am 

I was rather disappointed with the first album, because rather than filling out the snippets of songs from the show, the keys and tempos were changed in some of the songs and as a result I find myself Youtubing the clips from the show so I can hear the songs in what I feel is the correct key and tempo. However, the Dethklok albums get better and better (and more professional) with each album. The third was good enough for me to start taking these albums seriously.

Also, has anyone heard Brendon Small's Galaktikon? I thought there was some brilliant music on there.

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:08 am 

eh the first album has a few decent songs and so did the second. Although none of them are that great. The first season of the show was the funniest and it is still somewhat decent. I just really hate when someone who doesn't really listen to metal is like "Oh I like metal" then they mention Dethklok... Dethklok is nothing more than a parody and shouldn't be seen as more that a parody.

~Guest 298739
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:37 pm 

Extremely generic band that should stay outside the material world. Now that I think about it, I think I've found death metal's Immortal.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:16 pm 

To be honest, I think they're surprisingly good for a fictional band, but they don't exactly hold a candle to a lot of metal bands. Thunderhorse is just so bloody catchy too.
The show is unbearable though. It tries to be a Spinal Tap of metal and falls flat, in my opinion.

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:38 pm 

I like both the show and the music. I like it for what it is. I don't hold them in the same regard as other more serious death metal bands because Dethklok aren't one of the more serious influential bands.

On another note, Galaktikon sounds pretty kick ass from what I've heard.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:37 pm 

Nhor wrote:
Extremely generic band that should stay outside the material world. Now that I think about it, I think I've found death metal's Immortal.

I know you just did not.

Immortal at least have some memorable, catchy riffs...

~Guest 298739
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:48 pm 

the_raytownian wrote:
Nhor wrote:

I know you just did not.

I did.

And I don't know how anyone can even bother with a band so devoted to being as theatrically retarded as Marilyn Manson or Attack! Attack!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:20 pm 

percepticide wrote:
Dethklok is nothing more than a parody and shouldn't be seen as more that a parody.

That's exactly why I like them, I know a lot of people don't find them amusing but I do. Songs like Briefcase Full of Guts, I Ejaculate Fire, and Laser Cannon Death Sentence epitomize the hilarity of a decent potion of death metal lyrics and it's just funny to me to hear it. If you can't laugh at most metal lyrics death and black specifically then there's something wrong.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:25 pm 

the_raytownian wrote:
Nhor wrote:

I know you just did not.

This thread is about Dethklok (another one unfortunately, damn you Subrick :nono: ). Stay on topic.

Anyway, Abbath > Nhor

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:46 pm 

I agree with the idea that Dethalbum I is kind of the weakest work, it doesn't feel like an album and more just the Season 1 Soundtrack. The vocals on Dethalbum III are the best but I do agree it's kind or raspy/whispery. Galaktikon was also an extremely catchy album. The show is pretty good and I don't think you need to "identify" with it, it's just like the rest of Adult Swims lineup(which I love). I can actually admit Dethklok helped me get more into metal, I started with Disturbed, Linkin Park, etc but Dethklok helped me get into more extreme stuff. All in all I really like Dethklok and Metalocalypse, in fact I like Dethalbum III so much that
Spoiler: show
It's my album of the year 2012

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:34 pm 

I love the show and the band. I liked the show mainly after the first half of season 1 when they started to add a bit of a plot. musically I dig the dethalbum II the most, and the third I liked from what i've head from it. But the first one had a few good songs. I think what me off most from them is hearing scene kids talk about them like they are the most brutal death metal band out there, and then go back to listening to hardcore and metalcore. But ignoring that dethklok is a decent band.

Pathless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:36 pm 

percepticide wrote:
Dethklok is nothing more than a parody and shouldn't be seen as more that a parody.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:40 pm 

Pathless wrote:
percepticide wrote:

You could always expand on his point instead of just quoting him and nothing more to increase your post count.
Garchomp4ever wrote:
I agree with the idea that Dethalbum I is kind of the weakest work, it doesn't feel like an album and more just the Season 1 Soundtrack. The vocals on Dethalbum III are the best but I do agree it's kind or raspy/whispery. Galaktikon was also an extremely catchy album. The show is pretty good and I don't think you need to "identify" with it, it's just like the rest of Adult Swims lineup(which I love). I can actually admit Dethklok helped me get more into metal, I started with Disturbed, Linkin Park, etc but Dethklok helped me get into more extreme stuff. All in all I really like Dethklok and Metalocalypse, in fact I like Dethalbum III so much that
Spoiler: show
It's my album of the year 2012

I heard plenty of things about Galaktikon; on average most said it was...average.
I picked up III on a whim today, so I guess I'll report back with how I feel about it later.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Obfuscation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:06 pm 

I really wish they had made a full version of 'Sewn Back Together Wrong'. I just find it incredibly catchy and fun. I can't help but headbang when I hear it. I'm not so much a fan of the show these days but I dig the first episode it was funny for what it was.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:07 pm 

They might do it for the fourth Dethalbum whenever that comes.

MetalMaidenMal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:47 pm 

I guess the entertainment value of the show is just a matter of opinion, and it's understandable that if you don't like the show you probably wouldn't like the music. I enjoy it because it's so ridiculous. I guess that's why I haven't listened to Dethalbum II as much. It feels more like it's trying to be taken seriously, and it's hard for me to look at them that way. For me the music and the silliness go together. As someone said, they're good for being fictional. If they were a "real" band I might not be into them, but when you take the show and the music as a package it's just entertaining.

beeneNOLAdoobie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:25 pm 

I can only speak for the first two seasons of the show and first two albums.

I enjoy them both. The cartoon is hilarious, and the music is well done. I don't understand how some of these posters are so baffled as how they are on the archives or that people actually like them. Its ridiculous to say their riffs are terrible. They got fucking Gene Holgan on the drums too, shit. Get past the image and the humor then maybe you wont be so bitter towards it.

Then again, I really dont fucking care if I was the only one here that liked them. I enjoy the show and the music, just ignorant to write them off as a joke.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:09 am 

Why do people listen to this band when there is so much great music in the world?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:13 am 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
Why do people listen to this band when there is so much great music in the world?

The eternal question. I haven't heard this band in years but I remember awfully bland, safe music that wasn't melodic enough to be really catchy and not heavy enough to be brutal. And I remember bad, bad, bad vocals...if the humor of the show worked for you, fine, but eh I never got the appeal of the music. It was meant to be a fucking joke. People genuinely liking it seems like missing the point almost.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:13 am 

Because Dethalbum III is great music?

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:38 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I never got the appeal of the music. It was meant to be a fucking joke. People genuinely liking it seems like missing the point almost.

I don't think so Tim. Although the music is from a show that does not take itself in any way serious, the music itself does get pretty good. I'm not saying I take it seriously as a piece of high class art, because I don't, but I do take it as a semi-serious metal outfit. Like I previously stated Dethalbum I is more like a soundtrack but II and III were more well thought out pieces of solid melo-death. It's not really meant to be a parody at those points, but it, like practically all other metal, is also not trying to be something for pseudo-intellectuals to discuss. It's just fun music. Hopefully it further expands on this sound with Dethalbum IV, and I kind of want to hear more original songs that aren't in the show as a surprise, like Cyborg Slayers and Murmaider II. Wording was ass on this post but I hope the message is somewhat clear.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:42 am 

Why is there no middle ground between 'considering something high class art' and enjoying music like Dethklok? Just because I don't like it doesn't mean I went in expecting high class art. This is a fallacy that too many people use in discussions like this.

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:51 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Why is there no middle ground between 'considering something high class art' and enjoying music like Dethklok? Just because I don't like it doesn't mean I went in expecting high class art. This is a fallacy that too many people use in discussions like this.

I'm not saying you have to expect it to be that way, but that's what I thought you meant when you said people are taking this seriously, and seriously to me means, well I guess "high class art" was a bad term but at least some consistent professional music without cheesy gimmicks. I guess at least for me, my interpretation is I can't take the first album seriously at all, the lyrics don't help at all, but with the next two they're more professional and I would even say good enough to not be tied to the show. I guess I can only speak for myself. Anyway back to the music/show, I'm anxious for season 5, hopefully it finishes the show and we get an amazing Dethalbum IV with, as I said before, some original tracks.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:55 am 

I've never listened to them, but I assume they're only popular because they're based off a mainstream TV show. That alone makes me apprehensive about spending time listening to them, and seeing them everywhere on signs and on shelves and stuff; It kind of annoys me a little. Maybe some day I'll give in and listen to them, despite my apprehension, but I don't expect much. There's probably much more worth while things to capture my attention.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:08 am 

The thing I don't get at all is the elitism when it comes to Dethklok.

I enjoy Dethklok's music, so I listen to it periodically, simple as that. But I listen to plenty of Deathspell Omega, Ulcerate, Defeated Sanity, Dying Fetus, etc so dethklok is just another facet of that. I loved Dethalbum II, but that certainly doesn't make me any less of a metal-head

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:54 am 

Dethklok is more or less a parody, but a parody with a lot more effort put into it than most. No, it is not truly the most brutal, catchy, or melodic metal ever, but it doesn't need to be: the brutality claims in the show are a satire of common metal tropes espoused by fans who take their music and themselves far too seriously. For what it is, I'd call it good music or, when comparing it to parody music as a whole, great music.

Haven't listened to them or watched the show in a while though, that I'll admit. Think maybe it's time I returned to it.

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:08 am 

The songs work for 45 second jokes/passable riffs for a show centered around a cartoon parody death metal band, and that's about it. Echoing the question of "why waste time listening to this?"

Even giving them the benefit of the doubt, I just checked out Dethalbum III on youtube cause apparently its their best yet, it seems they still sound like a fourth-tier Amon Amarth-lite, for the most part.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:13 am 

Well what song(s) did you listen to?

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:37 am 

The show is funny, and for a parody, it is good. Nothing spectacular, but it can put out a certain amount of laughs (at least to me). Is exactly what i can expect from a parody.
And now the Music: Is getting better from album to album. The riffs are catchy and memorable, the voic is good for what it is. Not brutal sure, maybe even unefortlessly but fits with the music. Not that the musis too is weak (in fact i consider the music better than the voice) but it fits well and the people who likes it doesn't grew tired of it.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:58 am 

Church13 wrote:

Because not liking something is the very definition of elitism, right?

Musically, Dethklok are garbage. Generic melodic death metal with terrible vocals. Comedy-wise, also garbage. The show's comedy (and the band's lyrical comedy) boils down to a lot of random violence followed by someone saying "WOAH, METAL!" And the occasional namedrop of a band taken from the Wikipedia page on black metal. A shop called Gorgoroth's? Hilarious in-joke, guys!

Both the band and the show seem to have a strong following among the types of metalheads who subscribe to "metalhead memes" pages on Facebook. Because if it mentions metal at all then you don't need to have a good joke; those dudes will like it anyway.

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:43 am 

Subrick wrote:
Well what song(s) did you listen to?

Skyhunter, The Hammer, Biological Warfare, Crush the Industry. I think four tracks out of ten-ish or whatever it is more than a fair shake, the only one of those that isn't blatantly Amon Amarth-lite was The Hammer, and none of them are good regardless.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:04 am 

I say listen to I Ejaculate Fire, Andromeda, The Galaxy, and Killstardo Abominate.

RacoCooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:15 am 

Church13 wrote:

You could say that about a lot of bands that are mentioned here lol.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:18 am 

RacoCooper wrote:
Church13 wrote:

You could say that about a lot of bands that are mentioned here lol.

I wouldn't recommend it. Using the term "elitist" is a quick way to have people disregarding your opinions.

Protip: look up "elitism" in the dictionary before you use it.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:46 am 

Quote:
Protip: look up "elitism" in the dictionary before you use it.

You're a dick. Sorry, guess I should have added Protip.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next