Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:37 pm 

we had a thread like this on another board and it was really fun to see what people in other countries call stuff and their special sayings etc
that board was fairly small compared to this one too

i'll start off:
dairy - a corner shop where you buy milk and a paper etc
also we tend to say shop not 'store' over here

takeaway - a fish and chip shop or a burger place where you buy the food and take it away to eat
also we don't say 'take out' here

:grin:

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:11 pm 

Everywhere I go in California people like to use "hella" as an adjective describing, well, everything. I haven't heard anyone use it outside the west coast. We also like getting hyphy and ghostriding the whip on our scraper bikes.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:56 pm 

"Hella" spread to SoCal now? It was just Bay Area slang just a few years ago.

I heard that in Southern US, soft drinks/soda/pop is referred to as "Coke." That includes drinks like Sprite, Fanta, etc. That's actually kind of annoying since "Coke" refers to Coca-Cola or cola in general in just about every other part of the world.

Last edited by Adriankat on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:00 pm 

Around Boston and all of New England I guess, "wicked" is said a lot, by itself or "wicked good" too. We're also called Massholes.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:42 pm 

Do teenagers really use 'beast' as an adjective in California?

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:57 pm 

In Australia, you call your mates "cunt," and cunts "mate." :D

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:59 pm 

If you ever want to know any isms from Nova Scotia, just watch Trailer Park Boys... seriously, it's quite accurate regarding rural/part rural regions (Maybe except for the South Shore). Also, Cape Breton is hilarious, the further North you get the more Newfier everyone sounds.

Also, "calm down ol' girl".
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

Psytopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:12 am 

Well here in the Buffalo, NY area, we don't really say buffalo wings, just wings or chicken wings. And we call the flat chicken wings "paddles" instead of flats. Have to get my obligatory food post in :P Also in reference to soft drinks, here in my area of the state we usually say "pop" instead of soda

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:07 am 

I think people use beast as an adjective in many places. I have definitely done it.

A lot of Italian Americans call pasta sauce "gravy" which bothers me for some reason.

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:41 am 

Lots of the things we say in Australia revolve around our culture of alcohol.
e.g.:
Slab - A carton or a case of beer
Goon - Cask or boxed wine
Bottle-O - A liquor or bottle store
Tallie or longneck - A large bottle of beer
To crack a tinnie - To open a can of beer
Maggotted - To be extremely drunk
Piss pot - An alcoholic
Grog or piss - can refer to any alcoholic beverage

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:36 am 

markoff_chaney wrote:

*shudders* Thanks for reminding me of this abomination.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:52 am 

ice(the drug) - p
cool - chur
oi - ow
white person - ball head
fellow - fulla
cousin or friend - cuz or cuzzy bro!

and when you want your girlfriend to cook your friend some eggs - cook the man some fucking eggs!

when your son try's to leave the house at dinner time - Where the fuck you off to? Come have a feed boy!

i'm nz european my family line comes from scotland,would be keen to here how it is around there.

StalUlv
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:55 am 

Adriankat wrote:
"Hella" spread to SoCal now? It was just Bay Area slang just a few years ago.

I heard that in Southern US, soft drinks/soda/pop is referred to as "Coke." That includes drinks like Sprite, Fanta, etc. That's actually kind of annoying since "Coke" refers to Coca-Cola or cola in general in just about every other part of the world.

It is a Bay Area slang word still. I've never heard anyone in SoCal say it, and if they did, they were probably told to shut the fuck up quickly afterwards. But as you get closer to the bay, you hear it. I live in Santa Cruz and I hear it so much, unfortunately. "Hecka" is the worst one though.

I'm originally from Big Bear though, so we have a bunch of words. A "desert rat" is anyone who lives in the tweaker-filled desert around the mountain. "Flatlanders" are the dumb tourists who come up to snowboard/ski or go on the lake. We say "the hill" to mean to mountain road that goes down to the desert.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:56 am 

markoff_chaney wrote:
r

I had the worst hang over of my life from a 10 buck 4ltre cask of wine in Melbourne.And that's saying a lot coming from an x Piss pot

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:53 am 

bloodycumshit wrote:
ice(the drug) - p

I've never been clear about this. Why do Kiwis call crystal meth "P"?

bloodycumshit wrote:

and when you want your girlfriend to cook your friend some eggs - cook the man some fucking eggs!

when your son try's to leave the house at dinner time - Where the fuck you off to? Come have a feed boy!

Are these lines from Once Were Warriors?

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:50 am 

In Greece, we call everyone malaka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyWU-0ppug0

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:35 am 

Snow bird= Old person usually from Northern States/Canada who cums clogging the roads with their RVS, is generally rude to locals in AZ/New Mexico/Cali and smells like Bengay.

Lizard=A derogatory catch me all term for the Californian's that come and use the Colorado river.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:41 am 

What exactly does malaka mean? I get called that on a pretty regular basis and the Greeks up here won't give me a straight answer.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:59 am 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
What exactly does malaka mean? I get called that on a pretty regular basis and the Greeks up here won't give me a straight answer.

My Greek friend at high school told me it meant one who licks dogs' balls. I have since come to learn that it is closer to "wanker". While we're on the subject, the Greek kids at my high school called each other "Vlaka" on a pretty regular basis, by which they meant "stupid" or "idiot".

FlaPack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:21 am 

Veracs wrote:
Snow bird= Old person usually from Northern States/Canada who cums clogging the roads with their RVS, is generally rude to locals in AZ/New Mexico/Cali and smells like Bengay.

Lizard=A derogatory catch me all term for the Californian's that come and use the Colorado river.

Here in South Florida "snow birds" are all the people who live here in the winter and then go back up north in the spring. I'm originally from North Carolina where I sometimes heard the term "halfbacker" to refer to people originally from the north who moved to Florida and then decided to move half way back up to NC. Of course being in the south your far more likely to just hear them called "yankees".

Buprenorphed
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:01 pm 

Here lunch is 'dinner', and dinner is 'supper' (or tea).
Ones kid is 'ma babby'
Something awesome is 'bostin'

This is midlands area by the way (uk)

Down south where i used to live we call everyone and everything a cunt (the closer to 'cahnt' the more offensive the connotation). You spend 'a score' (20 pound) on beer at the 'offie', get 'off your tits' and have no money left for 'snout' so you smoke 'dogends' from the bus stop. ...

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:46 pm 

Psytopsy wrote:
Well here in the Buffalo, NY area, we don't really say buffalo wings, just wings or chicken wings. And we call the flat chicken wings "paddles" instead of flats. Have to get my obligatory food post in :P Also in reference to soft drinks, here in my area of the state we usually say "pop" instead of soda

Another thing about Buffalo that I've noticed - The Buffalo Connection. Whenever possible, the local news stations connect stories, however tenuously, to western New York. You can make a drinking game out of it. Take a shot whenever someone elsewhere in the country does something, and the anchors make note of the fact that his cousin is from Batavia or something.

Psytopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:53 pm 

GTog wrote:
Psytopsy wrote:

Another thing about Buffalo that I've noticed - The Buffalo Connection. Whenever possible, the local news stations connect stories, however tenuously, to western New York. You can make a drinking game out of it. Take a shot whenever someone elsewhere in the country does something, and the anchors make note of the fact that his cousin is from Batavia or something.
Haha I have noticed that. "A man in North Dakota went on a killing spree today, and his 2nd cousin is a local resident in Akron"

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:59 pm 

IX Leviathan forgot to tell you that Nova Scotian slang for fighting is "throwing hands". Anyways, most of the slang I'm aware of sounds pretty retarded and I use a bare minimum of it. Stuff like Reach = Come over.
Dipping: leaving
Merking: seriously beating
Walla : I promise
That's jokes : This is quite funny

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:24 pm 

markoff_chaney wrote:

i think we call it p because it's short for "pure" meth.I myself call it kiwi crack

Quote:

Are these lines from Once Were Warriors?

yes,our native language

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:28 pm 

Try and decipher the original words from a common Dublin greeting:
"Starry".

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:28 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
IX Leviathan forgot to tell you that Nova Scotian slang for fighting is "throwing hands". Anyways, most of the slang I'm aware of sounds pretty retarded and I use a bare minimum of it. Stuff like Reach = Come over.

these crack me up,might have to start making them a trend over here

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:46 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:

Yep, heard of all that here in Ontario. Another one:

Wheels: A word describing a person who is flirting with one or more people.

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:49 pm 

Yuns guys gonna go down to da Burgh n'at and git somethin from Primanti Brothers?

If you was down by the crick in those jagger bushes yins warsh up at the spicket before dinner!

Yuns want jumbo or chipped ham for lunch?

That cat is nebby!

This is the last time I'm gonna tell ya: red up your room!

Be careful it's slippy out...

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:10 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
IX Leviathan forgot to tell you that Nova Scotian slang for fighting is "throwing hands".

Ah, yes. "Throwing hands" or "chuckin' hands". "Dipping" also gets used here.

Some other ones include "choochin" which means "smoking". Cigarettes are pronounced "cigrits" and are also often referred to as "darts".

"Wheels" is also used here and has the same meaning as mentioned above.

And there's "smelt" which we say instead of skank, whore, etc. This is closely related to "smelt fishing", which is when you drive around greasy parts of town and pick up skanks.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:25 pm 

Cigarettes are referred to in a variety of ways here too. "rigs" being the most prominent one.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:32 pm 

In Scotland, using "Ya bastard" or "Ya cunt" at the end of a sentence, or as a greeting is generally more a term of endearment than one of aggression.

Junkies are often referred to as "Jakeys" or "Jakes"

Like in the rest of the UK, being "pissed" means to be drunk, as opposed to angry, although it tends to be more akin to "pished" up here.

Also, not meaning to perpetuate stereotypes, the word "fuck" is suitable for a huge range of household applications, including as something to say between other words which don't relate to it in any way; For example "Look at that... fuckin'... big, huge fuckin' thing." [also note the sporadic tautology use, which, while not unique to Scotland, is rather prevelant]

In reference to Cigarette names, we still like to confuse Americans by referring to them as Fags.

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:08 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
In Australia, you call your mates "cunt," and cunts "mate." :D

You're one cheeky cunt, mate :-D Oh, 4chan. Anyway, living in Northern California I do hear people say "hella" sometimes but I remember hearing something is "beast" if it's even relatively interesting, although it's thankfully died down, but now people have to deal with "swag" or "yolo" but that's more everywhere now thanks to Odd Future or Lil B.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:32 pm 

I went to California about 10 years ago and the airline lost my luggage. They asked me to describe three items at the top of my bag in case they couldn't identify it from the tag. Easy, 'a black Kill 'em All shirt, grey jeans, and a beige touque'. The woman then asked me what a touque was. I chuckled and described it to her and she says 'Oh! You mean a beanie?'

A beanie?! Really guys? :lol:

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:32 pm 

Funny thing is OFWGKTA and Lil B are self-aware (I still think Lil B parodies conceited rap music on purpose) and use those terms in a sort of tongue-in-cheek way, now you have a bunch of Tumblr teenyboppers acting like they've been blessed by The Based God/Lil B.

Speaking of Lil B, there's a plethora of slang that originated from him. Dude is #Based as fuck. :P

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:51 pm 

Malaka is similar to wanker, although it can be used in a friendly manner too. It can be used as a noun, verb and an adjective.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:08 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:

I've only seen twelve year olds who think they're cool use it.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:11 pm 

markoff_chaney wrote:
it's short for pseudoephedrine, incidentally i never call it "p" always "meth"

arse - ass but pronounced aaaasss [with absolutely no R whatsoever]

oh and a fanny is not an arse

short arse - short person
tin arse - if you just pulled off something difficult like a hole in one or if you won something like lotto [the lottery]
speaking of gambling the cards you buy with the silver stuff you scratch off to reveal a prize we call scratchies

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:28 pm 

iAm wrote:
volutetheswarth wrote:

I've only seen twelve year olds who think they're cool use it.

Where I used to live, a bit further north of where I am now, it was fairly common for people to do so, I.E "Look, that's a beasting car". Looks like there are pockets of this usage worldwide.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:35 pm 

i'd refer to a wicked as car as being a beast or maybe that it was beastly.

i have a question for the canadians about poutine.
when i was in the isle of man in about 1990 we had "chips, cheese and gravy" on the school lunch [dinner] menu
years later i discovered it's popular in canada, but when i look up any info on it the recipes always states "cheese curd"

is this not just proper cheese grated on some chips then smothered in gravy? :scratch:

Last edited by dreadmeat on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next