Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TikrasTamsusNaktis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:15 am 

http://imgix.8tracks.com/i/000/082/437/c/TheodorKittelsen-Sorgen-4344.jpg?fm=jpg&q=65w=521&h=521
I got an interesting request. If anyone knows of a black metal band that has used this as their "main image" or maybe it was an album cover could you tell me what band it was? I really love this painting by Kittelsen. (black metal's favourite artist ahhaha) But yeah I remember seeing it a long time ago on some band page here on the archives im 95% sure. Anyways if you can help great. I am curious.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:21 am 

Try one of these....

http://archivesofkhazad-dum.blogspot.co ... Pd7tvJxlk4

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:49 am 

Not the same but similar to Aurvandil's "Yearning"? Good album all the same.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Au ... ing/308834

Senton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:18 am 

Burning Witch 'Crippled Lucifer'

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Bu ... fer/178832

katatonia47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:27 am 

Black Metal album covers based from art are recycled so much you could have about 5 different answers for every one.

TikrasTamsusNaktis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:27 am 

Lol. I know its so true. I had a feeling this album cover would have been re-used by many bands as it is shown. But I am pretty sure it was the Dhampyr one. So I believe I have found it. So thanks alot guys

Mythics
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:20 pm 

Galdr - Galdr
Karg - Von den Winden der Sehnsucht

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:27 am 

The Goat Funeral / Dies Fyck split cd uses the same picture as well.

Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

somberlain93
I'm not sexist, I have binders full of women friends!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:31 am 

Don't these dickheads consider if album art they are swiping from the internet (Especially from a well known artist) has already been used? This is ridiculous.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:59 pm 

somberlain93 wrote:
Don't these dickheads consider if album art they are swiping from the internet (Especially from a well known artist) has already been used? This is ridiculous.

The same art being used isn't necessarily a new thing, nor is it inherently bad, check this (already linked) blog.

And really, one of the most famous DM albums of all time used the same painting as an earlier album, who really cares? Morbid Angel were certainly a bunch of ridiculous dickheads back during Blessed are the Sick, weren't they?

Hexenhaus (1988)

Morbid Angel (1991)
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

somberlain93

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:35 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
somberlain93 wrote:

The same art being used isn't necessarily a new thing, nor is it inherently bad, check this (already linked) blog.

And really, one of the most famous DM albums of all time used the same painting as an earlier album, who really cares? Morbid Angel were certainly a bunch of ridiculous dickheads back during Blessed are the Sick, weren't they?

In 1991, it was much harder to know that one other band had used the same artwork, back in 1988. Bad example.

Back to the idiot bands at hand. All of these albums are from 2008-2011. The only exception being the Burning Witch album from 1998, but..... it originally had different artwork and only "joined the club" in 2008 when it was re-released. Most of these bands are from USA, Germany, Austria and I know for a fact that internet is widely available even at public places, and I'd bet anything that these bands took the image from the internet and not a book of Kittelsen's art. You can't compare this to old releases when it could be a simple and honest mistake. It doesn't take more than five minutes to do a little research to find out if 20 other bands just recently used the same artwork that you plan to steal. So.... yes, they're dickheads. Especially the guy in Georgia that is writing Norse themes and playing "pagan black metal". But I guess it makes more sense than the bands in Mexico that I saw with Nordic symbols all over their albums.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:20 pm 

I see a lot of recurring artwork from older metal bands. Most of it is usually classic paintings (I assume), portraying satan and shit like that. This is one I think I've seen on three or four separate occasions. Couldn't possibly find all of the bands I've seen with this painting.

Cianide's second full length album is one I've seen reused a lot with metal albums a lot too. I won't post that, because people can look it up themselves and I don't want to take up that much space.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:29 am 

somberlain93 wrote:
In 1991, it was much harder to know that one other band had used the same artwork, back in 1988. Bad example.

Back to the idiot bands at hand. All of these albums are from 2008-2011. The only exception being the Burning Witch album from 1998, but..... it originally had different artwork and only "joined the club" in 2008 when it was re-released. Most of these bands are from USA, Germany, Austria and I know for a fact that internet is widely available even at public places, and I'd bet anything that these bands took the image from the internet and not a book of Kittelsen's art. You can't compare this to old releases when it could be a simple and honest mistake. It doesn't take more than five minutes to do a little research to find out if 20 other bands just recently used the same artwork that you plan to steal. So.... yes, they're dickheads. Especially the guy in Georgia that is writing Norse themes and playing "pagan black metal". But I guess it makes more sense than the bands in Mexico that I saw with Nordic symbols all over their albums.

Which is true enough, but it really isn't as big of a deal as you're making it, nor are the bands really as stupid as you claim. I mean, obviously I don't own all these albums so I can't go check and see if they all credited the artist properly, but bands using a classic painting to convey the themes of their music visually is common, and sometimes the source material will overlap. Most people won't get bent out of shape over a grainy looking blob in the middle of a nondescript canvas like you are.

Basically just chill out, you're making mountains out of molehills. And the last two sentences are just an entirely different rant for an entirely different thread.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

somberlain93

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:21 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Which is true enough, but it really isn't as big of a deal as you're making it, nor are the bands really as stupid as you claim. I mean, obviously I don't own all these albums so I can't go check and see if they all credited the artist properly, but bands using a classic painting to convey the themes of their music visually is common, and sometimes the source material will overlap. Most people won't get bent out of shape over a grainy looking blob in the middle of a nondescript canvas like you are.

Basically just chill out, you're making mountains out of molehills. And the last two sentences are just an entirely different rant for an entirely different thread.

You're a fucking riot. It's not a big deal. I just pointed out that it seems kind of silly and dumb, then had to explain myself (as usual). Personally, I don't care and I'm maintaining my shape just fine, thanks.

I will say this, though. Any modern band that thinks they're doing anything remotely unique by using Kittelsen's art for their CD covers has a few screws loose. It's likely that every single thing he's done that is even remotely dark or foresty has been used a dozen times over by every bedroom band on earth.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:49 am 

To be fair, I doubt that the fat majority of those black metal bands would claim that their actual music is innovative or ground-breaking, either. Their music, like the artwork, reiterates something which has already been done before, and they know it. You are arguing against a sense of pretentiousness which doesn't even really exist.

Reply to topic