Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
xpsychoblissx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:13 pm 

Everyone talks about coffee in terms of strength (caffeine), light roast or dark roast, what type of beans, etc...but I want to talk about the aroma. I currently have a some Italian roast coffee from the Eight O'clock brand, and realized that it's surprising mild as far as the aroma goes. Upon this discovery, I also found that I generally don't like coffee with a strong aroma. Why, you might ask? Because it makes my piss smell like coffee, and I don't like my piss smelling like what I'm drinking. lol

In summary, I like the strong smell of coffee, but I don't like the effects of drinking it. What's your stand on this important issue, fellow coffee drinkers?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:51 pm 

I like my coffee like I like my male strippers: Small, strong, Italian, hairy and mostly sugar.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:59 pm 

I would love to get a nice coffee maker and some quality ground, but the water at my house tastes like blood and piss (mainly sulfur contamination) considering it comes from an old well. Most of the coffee I've drank has been the crappy stuff you get at gas stations; which I only drink because I feel like I'm sorta dependent on caffeine. I've been exploring some coffee shops in my area, recently, though. I go straight for the darkest roast on the menu and I never add sugar or creamer. I figured since I'm a coffee n00b I might as well keep it plain until I know the entire span of flavors that are available.

As for the aroma: I could care less.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:47 pm 

I like the coffee scented piss. It's better than piss smell. Gonna be going to the bathroom a few times in my life, might as well be able to close my eyes and enjoy.

LanceCriminal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:29 am 

I usually drink Kona or something like it...best of both worlds as far as flavor and aroma.

I'm lucky to be someone that's not prone to food snobbery and can still enjoy 65 cent cups of black coffee from redneck gas stations back home. :lol:

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:59 pm 

I like Eight O'clock 100% Columbian which is outstanding in K-cup form. Medium roast with a nice aroma.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:03 pm 

Hi, I love coffee. Personally, coffee is the best smelling thing on the planet to me. I always take a big whiff before it goes down the hatch. I just settle for whatever k-cups are available for my keurig coffee maker. I prefer dark roasts, usually. Anyways, yeah I think aroma is important. If I could somehow insert the aroma of coffee into my bedroom, I would.

Last edited by metaldiscussor666 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:05 pm 

I generally prefer some variety of tea, but I generally prefer dark roast without cream/sugar. I've never been able to very well taste any sort of flavored coffee (hazelnut, Irish creme, whatever), so I generally stay away from those.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:17 pm 

Fuck man, it has to have a nice, strong aroma. I can't get enough of that smell. Nothing beats waking up for work in the morning, and have the smell of freshly brewed coffee wafting through the air. God, sometimes I have sexual fantasies about it. As for coffee itself, taste-wise, I go for extra-bold, two cream, two sugar.

By the way, those Keurig machines? Fucking awesome. Although, I don't mind brewing up my own pot of coffee every now and then. The Keurig is a wondrous thing, but you can't program it to brew you up a cup of coffee before you wake up.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

xpsychoblissx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:25 pm 

lol Yea, I agree that the smell of coffee is fucking amazing to wake up to! I also have a Keurig coffee maker (Got the $200 model for $12 at a Goodwill still in the box!) I use the k-cup filter, too--it's very cost-effective. I just hate that along with very aromatic, awesome smelling coffees also comes the price of coffee-scented piss. It's a turn-off for sure.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:51 pm 

i drink plunger coffee here and love the smell of any coffee, i also quite like the smell of coffee piss ha ha ha
as far as the flavour goes i like medium, the espresso grinds i've tried just taste a bit burned and grim
every brand is different though

i had a gf about 10 years ago who worked in a cafe and would bring proper ground stuff home, i could smell it in the bag before even opening the front door :love:

inhumanist wrote:
I like my coffee like I like my male strippers: Small, strong, Italian, hairy and mostly sugar.
HA HA HA! :lol:

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:08 am 

I don't care what it smells like as long as it's dark and sweet without any of that cream shit. The smell of coffee is relaxing I guess as long as it's not like cappuccino or something fancy like that (not that I don't enjoy a cup of cappuccino or something fancy).

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:24 am 

i can do without any foam but i have to have milk, cream? only if there's some left over from the xmas trifle ha ha :p

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:29 am 

I cannot function without coffee. I'm not picky about it as long as it doesn't come from Starbucks, cost $5 a cup, or taste like ass. Dark Roast, black, largest cup you have.

Sometimes I'll put a shot of whiskey in with it too, depending what I'm doing that morning.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:57 pm 

my granddad used to put a pinch of salt in his percolator when he made coffee.
i never buy coffee out, i only make it at home, the cheapest flat white you can get here is about $4 :roll:

the smell of roasting beans i don't really like for some reason, i used to live next to a coffee roaster

a poll on what kind of coffee you drink would be fun :p

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:46 pm 

Love a nice aromatic dark roast. I grind it in a hand-cranked grinder and make coffee in a percolator every morning. I add a touch of cream, not too much. I like a relatively mid to dark brown colour without defeating the taste of the coffee.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:59 pm 

iAm wrote:
I cannot function without coffee. I'm not picky about it as long as it doesn't come from Starbucks, cost $5 a cup, or taste like ass. Dark Roast, black, largest cup you have.

Sometimes I'll put a shot of whiskey in with it too, depending what I'm doing that morning.

Is this because you're against starbucks or something? When people put down starbucks, it just makes me wonder... why? They're a mega chain, like McDonalds, except superior to McDonalds in every way. They make rich, bold, dark, strong coffee. It tastes and smells delicious. The best part is they're EVERYWHERE! So if you're on the road, you can readily find one without problem. Their stores have a nice sophisticated and relaxed atmosphere. What isn't there to like about starbucks? I look at people who dislike starbicks the same way I look at people who dislike apple products; I don't understand them.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:03 pm 

someone said to me years ago "mcdonalds aren't in the fast food business, they're in the real estate business"
same goes for starbucks i reckon, even in nz they are everywhere.

i think starbucks is awful, even the smell of the shop makes me feel a bit ill, i never go in.
esquires are about the same here but they don't smell foul and the coffee is just normal

sorry dude :p

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:05 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
someone said to me years ago "mcdonalds aren't in the fast food business, they're in the real estate business"
same goes for starbucks i reckon, even in nz they are everywhere.

i think starbucks is awful, even the smell of the shop makes me feel a bit ill, i never go in.
esquires are about the same here but they don't smell foul and the coffee is just normal

sorry dude :p
:scratch: I... you... what... I don't even... whatever.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:08 pm 

maybe it's different over here? it smells horrible when i walk past, not like other coffee shops.
typically i'd always go for a small independent coffee shop when i'd buy coffee out, not a mega chain.
we buy pizza hut though [same company] :grin:

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:31 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
iAm wrote:

Is this because you're against starbucks or something? (1)When people put down starbucks, it just makes me wonder... why? They're a mega chain, (2)like McDonalds, except superior to McDonalds in every way. They make rich, bold, dark, strong coffee. It tastes and smells delicious. The best part is they're EVERYWHERE! So if you're on the road, you can readily find one without problem. Their stores have a nice (3)sophisticated and relaxed atmosphere. What isn't there to like about starbucks? I look at people who dislike starbicks the same way I look at people who dislike (4)apple products; I don't understand them.

(1) It's far too expensive for what it is. I can get a cup of gourmet coffee elsewhere for half the price (2) I also don't eat at McDonalds for various reasons including health and company policies. (3) Lol "sophisticated" (4) Steve Jobs is a thief and corporate necromancer.

dreadmeat wrote:
"mcdonalds aren't in the fast food business, they're in the real estate business"
same goes for starbucks i reckon, even in nz they are everywhere

Also this. Starbucks probably own a noticeable percentage of land in the greater Seattle area(and other metropolitain cities for that matter).

Last edited by ~Guest 132892 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:34 pm 

i'm waiting for some instant "coffee" drinkers to come along :lol:

i too avoid iStuff, big linux fan here :gay:

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:41 pm 

iAm wrote:
(1) It's far too expensive for what it is. I can get a cup of gourmet coffee elsewhere for half the price (2) I also don't eat at McDonalds for various reasons including health and company policies. (3) Lol "sophisticated" (4) Steve Jobs is a thief and corporate necromancer.

Let me just say, respectfully, I agree with you about McDonalds. I haven't eaten there for years for obvious reasons, because of all things it is, stupid, horrible garbage food, and I really take care of my health and shit. However, like I said before, while I'm not going to have an argument about fricken starbucks over the internet in a very serious manner, however, I did say that starbucks is good for when you're on the road. If I'm just looking for a coffee shop I will always support a local business over a starbucks. I'm talking about like when you're on vacation and you just want a cup of decent, non gas station coffee. I don't care what steve jobs did, nor anyone who's a celebrity business man. Just the same way I wouldn't care about Lance Armstrong being a cheater. I bring up lance armstrong because I can see a vague parallel I can use for my following example: Steve Jobs provides me with my iPod, which I love, and lance armstrong supported the cancer community, or so I hear. Now, you can denounce what I say, or not. I'm just in the mood for typing really big long winded responses right now.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:44 pm 

you guys remember that scene in the movie bruce almighty with the tibetan yak coffee guy, funny stuff.

hand grinding my own beans sounds like a cool thing, i might get a manual old school grinder [someone up there mentioned it]
the coffee i usually buy in a vacuum pack actually comes in bags of roasted beans too

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:46 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
I will always support a local business over a starbucks.

This is pretty much the only real argument I have against Starbucks; I mean aside that it's too expensive.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:32 am 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
iAm wrote:

Is this because you're against starbucks or something? When people put down starbucks, it just makes me wonder... why? They're a mega chain, like McDonalds, except superior to McDonalds in every way. They make rich, bold, dark, strong coffee. It tastes and smells delicious. The best part is they're EVERYWHERE! So if you're on the road, you can readily find one without problem. Their stores have a nice sophisticated and relaxed atmosphere. What isn't there to like about starbucks? I look at people who dislike starbicks the same way I look at people who dislike apple products; I don't understand them.

They sure make strong coffee, but it isn't rich, and a sophisticated atmosphere? Come on, man. I don't like Starbucks because for one, the coffee is way overpriced, and two, it tastes disgusting. Honestly, I'd rather have McDonalds coffee.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:42 am 

I was going to say something about "dont you guys have proper cafe's over there given that you rate starbucks", but then I remembered 2 things. the first is that it was really fucking hard to find proper espresso coffe when I was there. the second is that I like in Melbourne, where every second shop is a bloody cafe. Some comedian was joking on tv the other night, "I think you've got one each now" :)

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:50 am 

ha ha they're like dairies here, especially in town, i don't know how they make any money with so many competitors.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:29 am 

There's local cafe's all over the god damn place here. But then again, I'm in Alberta, so.. Take a stroll down Whyte Ave and every third shop is a specialty tea or coffee shop.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:47 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
ha ha they're like dairies here, especially in town, i don't know how they make any money with so many competitors.

You milk cows in the city?

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:25 pm 

When it comes to volunteer work, charity work, and involvement in the community and responsible business practices, as a whole you really can't do much better than Starbucks. They really take care of stuff for the most part, and are responsible, both monetarily and environmentally. So don't feel too bad if you gotta get a coffee from them!

That being said, I work here which is, more or less, the most famous coffee shop in DC. We do single-origin beans, no bullshit flavors or syrups, just naturally roasted beans from South America, Africa, and the Islands. Each one is individually poured through small, custom made filters that we re-use, giving each coffee a slightly different taste, allowing for the subtleties of the flavors to really come out strong. So, I prefer always aromatic, ground on the spot, and individually poured over using slightly below boiling water.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:19 pm 

I'm not sure what the common coffee consumption habits are like in wherever you guys live, but here it seems like the only thing I ever see people get from Starbucks are those ridiculous iced beverages (maybe I'm wrong, but they really just seem like a dressed-up milkshake). While I do think their coffee is pretty good, it's hardly worth waiting in a line to get it when you can get a cheaper cup from a food cart in a fraction of the time.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:42 pm 

Scorntyrant wrote:
dreadmeat wrote:
You milk cows in the city?
no mate, we call a 'corner shop' a dairy here, you're thinking of a milking shed on a dairy farm :p

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:22 pm 

I'm not even sure what Aromatic coffee means, I'm not a person who likes coffee or drinks coffee - once a year if I end up at a coffee shop i'll get like a Irish Toffy, or some other flavored coffee. I dont really like the taste of coffee, I do like the occasional smell here and there. I might like a coffee cheese cake or something.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:32 pm 

+100 i love coffee flavoured foods :nods:
biscuits, cake, cheesecake, milkshakes, ice cream etc
maybe even coffee flavoured lollies? i've not heard of any here though.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:46 pm 

Fuck, there's this steak house here called The Keg, and I'm not big on desserts, but man, they have this Billie Miner Pie which is basically coffee-flavoured ice-cream with shaved almonds on top of it, covered in caramel sauce. What else can I say, it's fucking amazing.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:21 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
no mate, we call a 'corner shop' a dairy here, you're thinking of a milking shed on a dairy farm :p

I know - I lived there for 15 years. Just winding you up :p

It's funny at the moment - my company has taken over doing tech support for our NZ sister company. Listening to ockers trying to pronounce NZ place names is priceless.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:32 pm 

waikikamukau ha ha ha
i'm dying to start a "what do you say where you come from" thread, we all have different expressions and words for stuff.

<== no country in your profile :roll:

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:50 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
waikikamukau

That isn't too bad, just... long.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:51 pm 

it's a joke one too: why kick a moo-cow :p

edit: speaking of funny sounding names
in west auckland there are two roads fairly near each other, one called waimumu and the other called waikaukau
i'm serious, look them up.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next