Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HerrDerQual
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:02 am 

For the most part, the term 'Dark Metal' was semi-popularized by the band Bethlehem with their release 'Dark Metal' (Similar to Venom's 'Black Metal'). Some sources I have read say that dark metal is more of an adjective to describe a theme, citing Megadeth's the Conjuring, etc., without even mentioning Bethlehem or Silencer.

Other places I have read about this have stated that dark metal is Black Metal passages interceded by Doom or Funeral parts, which I personally like better, but that would make it simply 2 or 3 genres mashed together. Does that count? Also, does this include (or do they include DM?) Depressive Black Metal, Suicidal Black Metal, or are those just adjectives too?

So damn confused.

If it helps, one of their flagship songs is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoGkDtPqtbY.

Dark Metal is included in some archive entries, so I mustn't be alone in wondering this.

were they hot?

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:12 am 

It's not a widely accepted genre descriptor, and there is not even really any general consensus on what it would define as a genre. That's just my two cents though.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:22 pm 

As far as I'm aware it's mainly used as an "umbrella genre", being applied to bands that mesh together a variety of influences without being any of them specifically. It can encompass pretty much anything though, so there isn't a way to pinpoint it exactly I guess.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:29 pm 

It isn't commonly used to describe one style of music, it's pretty ambiguous since there isn't really a centralized definition beyond referencing Bethlehem's "Dark Metal", which isn't always the case. I think it is often used more as an adjective than trying to use it as a genre descriptor. In the rules, it is noted as an ambiguous genre: "Dark metal - could mean anything..."

The way I have interpreted it is metal that tends to have atmospheric sounds primarily in lower registers, without the crunch of the "atmosphere" that most recent "atmospheric" bands prefer. Tends to be something a bit like black, doom, or gothic metal, but isn't easily categorized as it isn't conventionally cut to fit those genres. Much of what I have seen labeled as "dark metal" were recordings with old tape recorders that had no high end, thus a dark sort of ambience came out of any sections that permitted it.

I'm sure some (many?) of the bands labeled as such on MA are artifacts of the past from when samples were a bit harder to get and genres weren't scrutinized much - one of the two entries for Locus Factor (recently merged) labeled them as "progressive dark metal", when the band was a mix of instrumental Dream Theater/LTE worship mixed with melodic death metal. Based on that I wouldn't expect a band labeled as "dark metal" on this site 8 years ago to be anything like you'd expect.

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:39 pm 

I've only ever come across one band that I would describe as Dark metal, and that's Obsequiae. But I mostly agree Zodijackyl, I only use it when a band sounds dark and atmospheric but doesn't fall neatly into a concrete genre.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:30 am 

As I remember the archives rules saying about not using it, "could mean anything". In the case of Bethlehem's Dark Metal, I say that album leans much more towards death doom metal than anything else.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:18 am 

Wilytank wrote:
As I remember the archives rules saying about not using it, "could mean anything".

To be fair, MA doesn't discourage its use, since "grindcore" and "metalcore" are both listed there and those are quite obviously definite genres. The list is meant to denote genres which users should be wary when using in submissions, as their definitions can be ambiguous and the bands may in fact be more borderline than the listed genre would indicate.

HerrDerQual
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:27 pm 

ClaymanOnFire wrote:
I've only ever come across one band that I would describe as Dark metal, and that's Obsequiae.

What's funny about that is that I don't think I would call (What I've heard from) Obsequiae 'Dark Metal', but they definitely appeal to my sense of inner-awesome.

were they hot?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:23 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
As I remember the archives rules saying about not using it, "could mean anything". In the case of Bethlehem's Dark Metal, I say that album leans much more towards death doom metal than anything else.

Yes, but there's black metal in their sound aswell, and it's far less extreme than usual death/doom. It's doom metal, certainly, but there's no genre that aptly describes their sound.

Reply to topic