Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:07 pm 

Oh son of a bitch. Right after I buy Shadowrun 4E stuff and start a campaign... they announce 5E coming out this summer. :annoyed:

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:01 pm 

That's not a big deal, if 4E works for you why change it? They've got so much source material you could not get bored with the current edition for many many years.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:27 pm 

Shadowrun 5E now with 200 dice pool rolls and even more factors to consider!

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:10 pm 

I don't know if any of you guys know of this man, but I met him today at school. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Grubb

He was a guest speaker in my game narrative class (need the vlpa credit) and he talked our ear off about rpgs and table-top games and D&D and stuff. Very informative about that type of stuff, though nothing I was centrally interested in (otherwise I'd be in this thread way more).
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:05 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
I don't know if any of you guys know of this man, but I met him today at school. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Grubb

He was a guest speaker in my game narrative class (need the vlpa credit) and he talked our ear off about rpgs and table-top games and D&D and stuff. Very informative about that type of stuff, though nothing I was centrally interested in (otherwise I'd be in this thread way more).

Blast from the past! Wish I could have been in your class :p

HeWhoIsInTheWater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:08 pm 

I have recently started playing Ars Magica (5th Edition) and have found it quite enjoyable. Any other players on here?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:44 pm 

Lost all three games in my first Warhammer 40k tournament. Fucking Flamers of Tzeentch! :fuck: My first two games were against Daemons with the usual Plaguebearers/Flamers/Screamers arrangement, which was annoying for my Wolves. We did do a number on Death Company on game 3 where my opponent only won my secondary objectives since my Land Speeder roasted his scouts trying to make off with the relic and only had a Terminator squad with Corbulo and a Librarian left alive.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:41 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Lost all three games in my first Warhammer 40k tournament. Fucking Flamers of Tzeentch! :fuck: My first two games were against Daemons with the usual Plaguebearers/Flamers/Screamers arrangement, which was annoying for my Wolves. We did do a number on Death Company on game 3 where my opponent only won my secondary objectives since my Land Speeder roasted his scouts trying to make off with the relic and only had a Terminator squad with Corbulo and a Librarian left alive.

I get that Daemons have gotten better, but I still can't understand how you lost to them :P Bad rolls I assume? I haven't lost a game to them yet.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:11 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
I get that Daemons have gotten better, but I still can't understand how you lost to them :P Bad rolls I assume? I haven't lost a game to them yet.

Are your opponents not using Flamers? Template that wounds and glances EVERYTHING on a 4+ with no armor or cover saves? I don't even get rolls!

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:33 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
MrMcThrasher II wrote:

Are your opponents not using Flamers? Template that wounds and glances EVERYTHING on a 4+ with no armor or cover saves? I don't even get rolls!

I tend not to let them get close enough for that to happen. Then again, I DO play Necrons. Usually no flyer spam though; tends to get boring.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:39 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
Wilytank wrote:

I tend not to let them get close enough for that to happen.

That's really hard to do when they have to deep strike. I tried bunching up my dudes on game two making myself hard to approach, but we got no objectives (were playing Emperor's will) besides our home one and lost by secondary objectives.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:07 pm 

the flamer/screamer combo is actually pretty nasty now. If they can Deepstrike or outflank near you you are in for a lot of hurt.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:15 am 

I always prepare for things like that. I'm pretty good at it. If there was one thing my parents gave me, it's a mind for strategy games. Not much else, but it's something.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:53 am 

care to elaborate? Flank denial? Bubblewrap? I'm not just talking about one or 2 units in a wider army - the tournament meta here is to pick the best combo in the codex and spam it, so we're seeing daemon armies that are all flamers now.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:07 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:
care to elaborate? Flank denial? Bubblewrap? I'm not just talking about one or 2 units in a wider army - the tournament meta here is to pick the best combo in the codex and spam it, so we're seeing daemon armies that are all flamers now.

WELL I had a good post and my internet disconnected. I'll sum it up:
Always assume your opponent has units to deepstrike. In the case of Daemons, they won't have enough troops to wipe out your entire unit if they're doing LOLSPAMFLAMER. It really depends what's going on in the current game you play, but I know in the last one I played against Daemons (about a few weeks ago maybe?) I believe I remember him deepstriking half of them and fielding the others regularly. Necrons generally have enough speed to take the ones fielded already quickly enough (especially Deathmarks) and your opponent has to rely on luck with the deepstriking. If they do, you shouldn't even worry. Always have a couple units ready to outflank. I generally use a Deathmark squad and a throwaway Warrior squad.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:38 am 

Ahhhhh. You play Necrons. That makes sense then. 6th ed is full of "hard counter" armies, and daemon flamers is one of the ones that works really nastily against foot guard. It's not difficult for a unit of, say, 7 flamers to just about insta-fuck a blob of 30 guardsmen.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:54 pm 

As much as I love D&D 4E, it's supremely easy to make a cheesy min/max character. But you know what? That's fun, too. Especially for a level 1 character.

I wonder how the next Encounters season will go once I introduce my Human Hybrid Warlock/Executioner who deals 4d8+6 damage every turn with an at-will melee basic attack...

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:24 pm 

At level 1!?!

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:23 pm 

Ravenlord266 wrote:
At level 1!?!

Yep. I'm Human, so I have 2 feats. The first feat is Mindbite Scorn, letting my Warlock's Curse deal an extra 1d6 psychic damage. The second feat is Killing Curse, increasing the Curse damage to d8s instead of d6s. And since the other class is Executioner, I get a +1d8 damage on any and every weapon attack once per round. And I'm using a Longsword.

So with my Eldritch Strike, a Warlock at-will melee basic attack, my damage is 1d8 sword + 1d8 Curse + 1d8 Curse Pt. II + 1d8 Attack Finesse + 5 for my Con modifier + 1 for holding my sword in two hands = 4d8+6 damage every round.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:02 pm 

That's pretty hardcore, man. Awesome combo and it works like a charm I see. and here I am with my level 3 Bard still sporting a 1d8 +1 base attack :') Granted we're playing 3.5 and once I get the Dashing Swordsman specialty class (oh yes) it'll get more awesome :)

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:05 pm 

Ravenlord266 wrote:
That's pretty hardcore, man. Awesome combo and it works like a charm I see. and here I am with my level 3 Bard still sporting a 1d8 +1 base attack :') Granted we're playing 3.5 and once I get the Dashing Swordsman specialty class (oh yes) it'll get more awesome :)

3.5? Roll an Assassin. Take down dragons in one round like a champ.

But regarding 3.5, I will always love the Monk. Scaling weapon damage? Hell yeah! Stuns and incapacitates? Hell yeah! Immunity to diseases and aging? YES, SIR!!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:13 pm 

I used to like warlocks, but now I know Zelkiiro plays one :(

And wtf, this attack is fucking overkill for your level!

I'm playing a lv. 12 Tiefling warlock named Aknoch. I have a proficiency with rapiers, I'm like a noble gay historian, quite badass. I talk 5 languages too.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:13 pm 

Well, the scale of damage in 4E is way higher than in previous editions, but still, that's pretty ridiculous...

Why the hell are you applying a constitution modifier to an attack roll though? 4E... :nono:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:21 pm 

I think my strongest attack is "Iron Spike of Dis". 10 of range, CON vs REF, 3d10 + CON modifier (in my case +5), hit: target is immobilized, miss: half damage. + my implement (my staff of 3d6 + 5 necrotic damage)

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:46 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
Why the hell are you applying a constitution modifier to an attack roll though? 4E... :nono:

Eldritch Strike uses either Constitution or Charisma for its attack roll. I went with Con.
Metantoine wrote:
I think my strongest attack is "Iron Spike of Dis". 10 of range, CON vs REF, 3d10 + CON modifier (in my case +5), hit: target is immobilized, miss: half damage. + my implement (my staff of 3d6 + 5 necrotic damage)

Well, since you're level 12, your Curse does 2d6 without Mindbite Scorn, so there's that.

4d8+6 is just the total of all the effects I churn out. Eldritch Strike all by itself does 1d8+6. :V

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:28 am 

So, I've been hanging around at one of the local game shops assembling Shoota Boyz and the store owner gets in the new Chaos Daemon Codex. I am proud to say that Flamers and Screamers of Tzeentch are no longer the power gamer bullshit they used to be. All hail Phil Kelly.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:12 am 

Yeah, new daemons codex looks pretty cool. Although I do think its pretty cynical that they did the WD update which buffed flamers/screamers, let all the powergamers buy some, then hit them with the nerf bat.But I think Kelly generally writes good rules.

Had a pretty cool game this afternoon. My mate wanted to try a necron build he'd found on a podcast. 3 units of warriors, imhotek and all the gubbins to have every unit able to teleport across the board each turn, even out of combat. I took a list from the new Dark angels codex. Came right down to the wire, but in the end his mobility kept me on the back foot all game. In the end he won the game by regrouping 9 inches onto an objective and me failing a charge with some bikes.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:58 am 

Man, Ghost Stories is really damn hard, we played 2 games today and no victories again :( I think I played like 15 games so far and I only have one victory and we play at the easiest mode! After that, we played our Shadowrun campaign, but this is quite complicated and we weren't used to it (only the 2nd time we play) so it was quite long. The highlight of the night was when Necroticism174's character (a badass black dwarf) almost threw a frag grenade in a small bar while he was in it, he decided to shoot the thugs with his machine gun instead, probably a wise decision...

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:44 am 

Had a first go at playing Apocalypse this weekend:

As an experiment, it was a mixed success. We stupidly played lengthways across all my terrain, which is about 2 tables. Which just meant massive traffic jams with all those tanks on the board. It also meant that my brother had to drive all his stuff straight into the teeth of an Imperial guard artillery corps. It sorta bogged down after turn 3 due to the lack of titans/D-weapons. Would have been much better with an extra 2 tables and playing width-ways. We also, stupidly, just went for anhilation victory conditions rather than mission objectives. Still, it was cool seeing what 35 terminators on the board can do (ie not much when they get shot by that much stuff haha)

Thoughts for next time: need to borrow an extra 2 tables and another 2 players. And take the apocalypse formations with their D-weapons, Orbital barrage etc rules.

HeWhoIsInTheWater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:52 am 

For any Twilight Imperium players out there, what are your favorite races to play? I've only played about a half dozen times, but the Ghosts of Creuss are fantastic when my PDSs start lighting things up through wormholes. The homeworld sucks badly though. I also enjoyed playing as the Universities of Jol-Nar because the racial tech is great for surprise attacks and upping the speed on Dreadnoughts, War Suns, and Carriers. I also experimented a little with advanced fighters, but they kind of suck terribly when facing down 2 Destroyers with the right tech. Thoughts?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:36 pm 

Cool! I <3 Twilight Imperium! I played 2 games with 2 different races so far.

The first one I got the Mentak coalition, they're a very good offensive race with a good fleet at the beginning, but they suck for trading (well, they can steal trade goods) and diplomacy, I managed to piss off almost everyone with my fleet but in the end but in the end, the player who had the Emirates of Hacan (the Lions) won the game. You have only 1 home planet (4 resources, 1 influence) so expand quickly at the start to build your fleet. I suggest that you go berserk and act like a rogue or a pirate. They're definitely a cool race to play, just don't expect to have friends during the game!

For the second game, I played with the Sardakk N'orr (big ugly bugs) and I won. They're a very good compromise between attack and diplomacy. Your special power (+1 to all combat rolls) will give you the edge in almost every battles but the problem is that you start with a very small fleet. It's a simple race to play, attack to get what you want and negotiate after. I had a difficult start but I managed to build a nice fleet and do my objectives.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:37 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
but in the end but in the end, the player who had the Emirates of Hacan (the Lions) won the game.

Not true, it's Mongeon who won. He was playing the Yssaril Tribes.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:39 pm 

Oh right, these little frog fuckers. The Hacan were 2nd place and you were 4th place! :oh shit:

HeWhoIsInTheWater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:59 pm 

To be fair, the Trade Cats usually do exceptionally well. No offense, it does not take a whole lot of skill playing them to control every economic interaction if you play your action cards right. I despise the Yssaril Tribes though. It's like battling a thousand green little Gollums.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:40 pm 

I'd like to try the Barony of Letnev or the Universities of Jol-Nar next time.

HeWhoIsInTheWater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:33 pm 

By luck of the draw, I've never played as or against the Barony. What's their racial bonus[es]? My advice for the Jol-Nar would be to expand rapidly, turtle, and let your economy and reap the rewards of massive technology advances. The -1 bonus to all attacks doesn't sound that bad, but unless you're using Cruisers or Dreadnoughts or massive quantities of other ships, expect to lost everything. PDSs are highly recommended as well as any tech that let's you fire before regular combat. Also, make us of that good trade agreement. It's the only way I survived being next to the Sardakk N'orr.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:25 am 

Awesome table, Scorntyrant. Makes me wish I was still active with 40k. New Tau stuff looks impressive, I'm waiting for the urge to start an Ork army to get strong enough I will turn green and talk even more retardedly, then it will be time.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:34 am 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
Awesome table, Scorntyrant. Makes me wish I was still active with 40k. New Tau stuff looks impressive, I'm waiting for the urge to start an Ork army to get strong enough I will turn green and talk even more retardedly, then it will be time.

I think Orks were supposed to get a new codex this year. Don't quote me on that.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:23 pm 

Is there a campaign setting based on the twilight saga?

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:56 am 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
KC_Slaanesh wrote:

I think Orks were supposed to get a new codex this year. Don't quote me on that.

It would not surprise me - they have been pushing them out pretty quick of late. So I'd guess Black Templars get a new one sometime around 2021.

Anyway, table looks a bit scrappy due to bad lighting and subbing in drinking glasses as drop pods, sitting dice on tanks as hull point markers etc, I'm aiming to finish it sometime soon. In other news, a mate of mine gave me an entire unbuilt Blood Angels army recently. So I cant see myself needing to buy anything except paint for at least a year.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 30  Next