Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:31 am 

Since we're on the topic of bands like Darkthrone taking on their old influences and recording material in that vein, I think its somewhat of a rare occurrence in metal for established acts to change up their formula somewhat and record music in the vein of the bands they adored. What are some other bands that recorded whole albums after an extensive career paying homage to their influences, and even playing covers of the material as bonus tracks. Are these bands the exception rather than the rule as so many of the band's peers have either fizzled out, or just gone and done their own material after years of playing more extreme stuff?

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:24 am 

Most musicians start out as teens or young adults. After a period of time, it's understandable that most of these musicians tire of the stuff they found relevant as a teenager and move on to other music. Voivod as an excellent example had, by 1986, tired of just about all heavy metal music except for Venom. They were largely progressive rock fans by them.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:25 am 

I can think of only a few who've changed their styles and now are returning to their older-former versions of themselves.

Cryptopsy have somewhat reclaimed what they had going before the lineup change and the release of 'The Unspoken King'. One can really appreciate the effort gone into the making of their self titled 2012 album. The vocals have improved relatively and the song writing approach is reminiscent of the earlier stuff.

Everyone knows about Nachtmystium's experimental 'Black Meddle' phase. With the 'Silencing Machine', they have returned to their black metal roots.

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:57 am 

Entombed payed tribute to their influences (Slayer, Autopsy, Venom, and more) and started to shed their rock influences in the early 2000's with "Morning Star", instead playing something more reminiscent of death metal (in their classic sound) with some thrash metal elements. I'm sort of curious to see how the band's new album will turn out, but hopefully it will pick up where "Serpent Saints" (which was pretty much a pure death metal album) left off and be an even closer return to the band's glory days. Nothing against the rock stuff, but it's hardly as interesting or compelling as their death metal, :lol:.

I mean, just listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fJafPzavAY

Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:28 am 

enigmatech wrote:
I mean, just listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fJafPzavAY

That song was cool, but you could have found one that was better than 240! :P

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:47 am 

Samael put out Above which is full on extreme metal compared to the industrial style they've adopted. They even said in interviews that they were trying to do an album that went back to their roots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plRtCCr7CMw

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:33 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Samael put out Above which is full on extreme metal compared to the industrial style they've adopted. They even said in interviews that they were trying to do an album that went back to their roots.

Yeah, but they also dismissed the album entirely afterwards. Mas even went as far as telling me to "forget about that one" when we chatted a couple of years ago. That says something about the outcome.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:03 pm 

Autopsy really did a turn around and churned out some excellent death metal with Macabre Eternal. With only really having two good albums they really managed to come back.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:11 pm 

androdion wrote:
Subrick wrote:

Yeah, but they also dismissed the album entirely afterwards. Mas even went as far as telling me to "forget about that one" when we chatted a couple of years ago. That says something about the outcome.

Sucks then, because I love Above. It's my favorite Samael album.

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:01 pm 

My Dying Bride recently returned to doomy as fuck, with sprinkles of death metal.

juusokult
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:17 pm 

absurder21 wrote:
My Dying Bride recently returned to doomy as fuck, with sprinkles of death metal.

Speaking of early 90s British bands the same can be said about Paradise Lost. I can certainly hear some of their old influences in the newest albums, especially in the guitarwork.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:48 pm 

Subrick wrote:

...That's not even close to "their roots". How does this song sound like Blood Ritual or even Ceremony of Opposites? It sounds like all those mediocre bands trying to ape 90's Norwegian black metal...

I wish Samael would return to their roots, they used to be so, so good. :(

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:41 pm 

enslaved returned to their older sound with thorn a year or so ago. It sounded like they tried to go back to their roots, had some of the same pink floyd sounding riffs on it kind of like vertebrae had.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:43 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Subrick wrote:

...That's not even close to "their roots". How does this song sound like Blood Ritual or even Ceremony of Opposites? It sounds like all those mediocre bands trying to ape 90's Norwegian black metal...

I wish Samael would return to their roots, they used to be so, so good. :(

Well that's what Vorph said in interviews, and I love the album so I've no problem with it.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:56 pm 

Between what they envisioned and what actually came out Morri's statement is pretty accurate. Above is like Samael trying to sound brutal in a way that they never were before. Well, at least Lux Mundi tried to grasp a bit of Passage to a certain point.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:41 am 

As Morrigan said, Samael didn't return to their roots or early influences, but what they perceived as the pinnacle of black metal at the time of the writing of Above. The album in question unfortunately doesn't sound anything like any of their first three albums. I think the same could be said for Darkthrone. The albums they've put out recently don't really sound like the demos, Soulside Journey or A Blaze in the Northern Sky.

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:14 pm 

Kreator went from being heavily experimental in the 1990s (including Endorama) back to being thrash with Violent Revolution. While yes, they didn't make a return back to the Endless Pain/Pleasure To Kill days for very obvious reasons but it was still a rediscovery of some of their previous influences (Venom, old Metallica, etc)

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:49 am 

Kreator have always claimed Mercyful Fate and Celtic Frost were big influences too. Just never heard it through their style.

Reply to topic