Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:40 pm 

Honestly Ortab, BastardHead is right. I didn't link his Facebook or his personal myspace page, or anything like that. It was simply a public band page.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:47 pm 

I'll grant you that but even so a blatant call for trolling is unnecessary.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:51 pm 

I think the music is rubbish, and yes, I listened to it before I linked it here. Let others make up their own minds.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:10 pm 

Crowbar should do more covers. The Iron Maiden one is wicked.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:43 pm 

Well, the fucking laptop broke again. So... considering that my laptop has exactly the same hardware as my mom's laptop, and considering that on this model the hard drives are very easy to access, I switched the hard drives - so now she is using my laptop, with her harddrive in it, and everything runs fine.

I'm doing a full backup of her hard drive though, just in case. I should probably consider getting my hard drive backed up, but it's been one of those things where when I start the process, I know I won't be using my computer for the next several hours - 650 GB of stuff on this machine.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:55 pm 

There is no way to describe this situation that doesn't sound like you throwing your mom under the bus. :(

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:58 pm 

So I just bought a Saab 9000 '94 for $2,000, 197,000 kms in pristine conditon, no bumps or scratches but I wasn't told about the 11 faults it has (that's most likely my fault but that aside), I don't know much about cars and I got a quote on fixing it and here are the prices.

Fuel filter leaking: $90 
Power steering rack leaking: $350 
Power steering pump leaking: $200
Replace front link pin bushes: $120 
Front rotors: $250 
Heater switch only working, idle speed: $150 
Replace 2 wiper rubbers: $20

I'm also not sure if this is ripping me off but I just want it to drive to and from work really which is only really about 8 kms.
What do you think?

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:29 am 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:

I know this would never happen, but I think it would be fucking amazing if Crowbar did a cover of Townes Van Zandt. Speaking of Crowbar, does anyone else feel that their latest album isn't up to the usual standard.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:30 am 

Jackoroth wrote:
So I just bought a Saab 9000 '94 for $2,000, 197,000 kms in pristine conditon, no bumps or scratches but I wasn't told about the 11 faults it has (that's most likely my fault but that aside), I don't know much about cars and I got a quote on fixing it and here are the prices.

I'm also not sure if this is ripping me off but I just want it to drive to and from work really which is only really about 8 kms.
What do you think?

Well, it is a Saab, and a older one at that, which CERTAINLY means it will have some things wrong with it. For about half the price they're asking to fix it, and considering the outer condition, if it gets fixed right, you'll probably have a sweet ride. The other problem is though, is that they don't make Saabs anymore, so replacement parts in the future could be pricey...

My collection

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:23 am 

Oi, Crushed. (He said in his worst, most pathetic excuse for an Australian accent.) Checked out Thevetat, and they seemed like a nice find. Good structures, interesting sound...something seemed really off with their mixing/production, though. Something weird going on there where all the instruments are mixed so as to sound oddly separated from each other but not in a particularly good way, so that they end up sounding more...jumbled and off-balance rather than spacious. Odd. Still good, though.

But did you happen to look into the related band Ceremonium at all? They definitely seem like an intriguing entity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VRREhZ4q9A

Really compelling, balanced blend of death/black going on here... I really like the mixture that's happening in this, it's a successful fusion, plus the production sounds really nice, with those thundering lower frequencies.

The predecessor album to that also sounds promising, much gloomier death/doom with touches of a Bolt Thrower sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tXF5PiCRyQ

Intelestinngg... anyone here familiar with these guys? Don't believe I've ever heard mention of them on the boards before.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:44 am 

Jackoroth wrote:

What do you think?

Not sure how you guys do things down under, but I always think it's a safe bet to take a potential vehicle to a mechanic you trust before you purchase it, so he can tell you what's wrong with it or give you a rundown of the condition. Nothing worse than buying a vehicle and then realizing you need a thousand dollars worth of repairs.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:05 pm 

Jackoroth wrote:

What do you think?

I know parts prices are higher in Australia than the US, here's the parts (USD) cost and labor times that I would estimate. I have never worked on power steering stuff beyond replacing the pump, but I'd guess ~2 hours for that (could be up to 4 hours), those parts may not need to be replaced depending on the nature of the leak.

Fuel filter+hoses= $25 / 20 mins labor for an amateur, 10 for a pro with a garage/lift
PS rack = $170 / ?? labor
PS pump = $100-120 / ?? labor
Bushings = $20 / ?? labor
Rotors = $30-50 depending on quality / ~1 hour job for an amateur, 10-15 mins for a pro
Wipers = $10 each (could be more) / 30 seconds labor

Assuming the parts cost a fair amount more in Australia than America, that pricing doesn't seem that unreasonable, as a decent mechanic isn't cheap. I'd call a few other places and check with them though, as you may be able to get it done a few hundred cheaper. I don't know Aussie pricing at all :P Change your own damn wipers though!

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:44 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
MrMcThrasher II wrote:

I know this would never happen, but I think it would be fucking amazing if Crowbar did a cover of Townes Van Zandt. Speaking of Crowbar, does anyone else feel that their latest album isn't up to the usual standard.

Crowbar kind of sucks. Their S/T album sounds almost nu-metal to me and the vocals are annoying. They just sound fat.

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:54 pm 

I went to high school with this obnoxious cunt who was obsessed with Crowbar. He even had their logo tattooed on his fore arm. Because of him I've made an effort to never listen to them.

I understand this is incredibly retarded...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:04 pm 

You don't know what you're missing out on. Crowbar is one of those bands that the moment you hear them you cannot not like them.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:10 pm 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
Their S/T album sounds almost nu-metal to me and the vocals are annoying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82orAnzFuE8

http://youtu.be/J8J7pm-dIOk?t=35s

???

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:20 pm 

I went and saw Crowbar at Siberia in New Orleans recently, and they put on a hell of a show. If you are into them and get a chance to see them play, take it.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:22 pm 

I saw them back in 09 at the Webster. Such a thick live band.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:26 pm 

I was really into Crowbar but compared to other NOLA sludge bands they are pretty tame imo.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:35 pm 

Subrick wrote:
I saw them back in 09 at the Webster. Such a thick live band.

Hey, I was at that show! I spent a while taunting The Casualties by yelling things like "you're not punk, you're alternative rock!"

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:38 pm 

I hadn't heard of The Casualties before that show. It was my first Wall of Death too.

Also, the car I came in got towed and so me and the other guy I was with had to wait 2 hours in 10 degree Hartford winter weather for my sister to come get us. I spent that time helping Hatebreed's roadies load up the truck, talking with a chick in the gas station across the street who had a Care Bear tramp stamp (dead serious), and watching on the TV in that same gas station the worst bootleg copy of a movie I've ever seen (a French copy of Avatar that was discolored, fuzzy, and the picture was sideways).

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:40 pm 

Well, I'm auditioning for a band next Tuesday. It was slightly absurd of me to hook up a jam session with a decent band when I don't even own a guitar at the moment, but I can definitely get some new gear between now and our meet-up. And I shouldn't have any trouble playing for them even though I haven't practiced in... years. I'm still confident I can pull it off even after giving their demo a listen. Nothing too technical; hardcore/death from Cleveland. "Order 66" for anyone who is curious. The bassist has put in a lot of work in the Cleveland metal scene and has experience with Chimaira, Nunslaughter, Embalmer, Decrepit and some other local bands.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:15 pm 

EDIT: You said GUITAR. I misread.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:18 pm 

Dude, I just listened to Darkthrone's newest song, and..... It's thrashy USPM? Yes, hell yes! YES!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:26 pm 

Thrashy USPM mixed with Celtic Frost worship.

Also, Culto said on Facebook that the album version of the song is 14 minutes long.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:30 pm 

^ o_o

Less of USPM and moar of NWOBHM (that's blackened heavy metal). Ok I'm not much in the genre wars. Call it whatever you want.

In other news, I hate it when people type up the wrong spelling of one's name on the website/promotions. I think I pissed off this girl who's in charge of all this and now she isn't bothering to change it.

Edit: My post was aimed at Xl. Subrick, you crafty bastard you.

Last edited by shouvince on Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:30 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Thrashy USPM mixed with Celtic Frost worship.

I just realized that. You have no idea how all of those words together make me feel. NO IDEA.
Subrick wrote:
Also, Culto said on Facebook that the album version of the song is 14 minutes long.

For some reason, that brings Manilla Road to mind.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:54 pm 

It's such a weird mixture that I never would have thought I'd hear but it's so...GOOD.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:59 pm 

Absolutely. And Fenriz's vocals remind me of King Diamond, in the sense that they're supremely cheesy in a very awesome way.

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:20 pm 

That fucking new track is brilliant!!!! Fenriz sould out? Suuuuuuuure, kids...

Too bad there are no religious images allowed at work. If there were, I would LEAVE NO CROSS UNTURNED!!!!
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:21 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
That fucking new track is brilliant!!!! Fenriz sould out? Suuuuuuuure, kids...

Too bad there are no religious images allowed at work. If there were, I would LEAVE NO CROSS UNTURNED!!!!

Never forget: viewtopic.php?p=1918492#p1918492

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:30 pm 

That Darkthrone song is pretty damn awesome, but it feels a little too much like a MF-cover band or something...still, better than In Solitude or Portrait or any of those other bands, anyway. But I hope there are still some tracks on the album that have the uniquely brazen, jamming feel of their other recent albums, and not everything is focused on imitation. However on the other hand...it IS a fucking good song, so :metal:

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:31 pm 

One year, five months and five days later you are proven wrong, Zodijackyl.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:33 pm 

OpsiusCato, your sig is hilarious. :lol: Is Uncolored still around or was he banned?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:38 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
OpsiusCato, your sig is hilarious. :lol: Is Uncolored still around or was he banned?

Uncolored is a moderator :roll:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:43 pm 

Unfortunately!

The new Voivod leaked! WOOOOOO

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:04 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
So Kelly Sundown Carpenter has joined Firewind now. This guy is slowly becoming a member of every power metal band. Not that I'm complaining.

I'll predict the future here: he'll leave after recording one album that's lackluster as usual.

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:05 pm 

Yeah, Uncolored is still around, modding. Sometimes, at least. He rarely steps into the forums, though.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:06 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Dude, I just listened to Darkthrone's newest song, and..... It's thrashy USPM? Yes, hell yes! YES!

I can get behind this. Is the whole album going to be like this, I wonder?

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:25 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cnlJOC8MuA - DAMN

That clicking sound is coming from the mantis!

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 761, 762, 763, 764, 765, 766, 767 ... 827  Next