Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:24 am 

Iron Fist magazine have said on their Facebook that there are hints of epic doom, as well. I can't wait to hear the album, Darkthrone consistently writes winners in my book.

Ravishing Grimness is my favourite Darkthrone album. It's got my ideal production for that sort of music, and it's chock-full of those characteristic galloping, repetitive riffs that never peter out in their intensity. And behind the bleak atmosphere is this undeniable groove. Never tire of that record.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:30 am 

Cool...but why are people talking about doom influences in Darkthrone as if that were something new? They've had doom in their music since their earliest demos!
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:36 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
Cool...but why are people talking about doom influences in Darkthrone as if that were something new? They've had doom in their music since their earliest demos!

Agreed, and Circle the Wagons flirted with power metal influences, at least of the darker, less saccharine fashion (Manilla Road's thrash/power thingy, mostly).

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:06 am 

yeah..I hardly think that when they say "power metal influences" they mean it's going to sound like Stratovarius. :P

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm 

Yeah. They mean the old-style Omen and Jag Panzer variety, as well as the aforementioned Manilla Road style stuff they started on CtW anyway. If you think power metal influence means falsettos and double bass, well...:lol:

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:00 pm 

But epic doom? I haven't heard it. I think the influences heard will be slightly different on this album, although that remains to be seen.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:26 pm 

Even Burzum used Candlemass riffs at times (notably on their second album). Hearing some early Candlemass on the Darkthrone demos certainly isn't a far-fetched idea, at all. In fact, I can hear it, myself.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:47 pm 

Acidgobblin wrote:
And I am certain it will be better then the latest piece of shit from Burzum.....;)

While tastes in music are subjective, you cannot deny that Burzum (post-prison) has been consistent in their/his output and very productive. 4 albums in 3 years is more than the majority of bands out there.

Abominatrix wrote:

Aye! They have tons of doom riffs, but they're mostly derived (copied?) from Celtic Frost. The Hordes of Nebulah is one of the most DOOMY doom songs of all time. And Fenriz has stated many times that doom metal (he has mentioned Candlemass) has always influenced him.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:53 pm 

Aye, but about half of SOulside Journey and Goatlord are just pure traditional doom-style riffs.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:05 pm 

I suppose I'm listening to Darkthrone today then to pay attention for that!

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:35 pm 

raumr wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
And I am certain it will be better then the latest piece of shit from Burzum.....;)

While tastes in music are subjective, you cannot deny that Burzum (post-prison) has been consistent in their/his output and very productive. 4 albums in 3 years is more than the majority of bands out there.

I actually disagree in part. I think that Burzum's recent albums have really differed in quality; Belus was pretty great, thick atmosphere and very distinct melodies. The releases after that have been bland and uninspired; consistently so ;) Umskiptar is extremely dull, with a terrible guitar tone, amateur drumming (I can dig amateur drumming if it is creative), terribly contrived vocals and overall simplistic and pointless songs. I also don't think that the amount of releases means much; in fact, I'd say that it actually cheapens the music. To an extent, Darkthrone are similarly prolific, always have been, and recently its been a minor negative.

Quote:
Aye! They have tons of doom riffs, but they're mostly derived (copied?) from Celtic Frost. The Hordes of Nebulah is one of the most DOOMY doom songs of all time. And Fenriz has stated many times that doom metal (he has mentioned Candlemass) has always influenced him.

Not sure if you have or haven't but check out Fenriz' "Red Planet", a great retro rock/doom release. I'd love some more of it...

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:42 am 

Quote:
I actually disagree in part. I think that Burzum's recent albums have really differed in quality; Belus was pretty great, thick atmosphere and very distinct melodies. The releases after that have been bland and uninspired; consistently so ;) Umskiptar is extremely dull, with a terrible guitar tone, amateur drumming (I can dig amateur drumming if it is creative), terribly contrived vocals and overall simplistic and pointless songs. I also don't think that the amount of releases means much; in fact, I'd say that it actually cheapens the music. To an extent, Darkthrone are similarly prolific, always have been, and recently its been a minor negative.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:11 pm 

Acidgobblin wrote:

Oh well. I obviously disagree, but to each his own :)

Acidgobblin wrote:
Not sure if you have or haven't but check out Fenriz' "Red Planet", a great retro rock/doom release. I'd love some more of it...

I haven't actually. I'm still absorbing his Isengard and Neptune Tower material. It's definitely on my to-do list ;) Dommedagssalme on the first Isengard album is pure doom with epic vocals and satanic lyrics!

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:01 pm 

Darkthrone is simply an amazing band across the board, and I've never heard an album of theirs I haven't liked. I'm sure this will be no different. Also, the direction they appear to have taken this time around seems extremely interesting.

Tempered_Steel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:00 pm 

Very excited for new Darkthrone, Circle the Wagons was pretty sweet

HaggardBastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:58 am 

Dyed-in-the-wool Darkthrone fanboy here: as of the past year or so, they're probably my favorite band. I discovered them just prior to high school at the age of about 14 (I'll be 28 this July) via the title track from A Blaze..., and then promptly dove headfirst into that, Under..., Transilvanian, and Soulside Journey. For the record, Under... is my personal number one (strictly) black metal album ever, followed very, very closely by A Blaze, and Soulside Journey is, in fact, my favorite death metal album, bar none. Don't judge me. Transilvanian Hunger is searing, no doubt, but I find [/i]Panzerfaust[/i] to be considerably better nonetheless, and pretty singular among not only their albums, but black metal albums as a whole. Regardless, the first five (!) DT records I find are absolutely essential listening.

As for newer Darkthrone, and in particular the post-Cult releases, they've grown on me. In fact, I'd say that everything after Panzerfaust, save Ravishing Grimness and The Cult Is Alive, both of which I loved to death right out of the gate, are serious growers, not showers. The first time I heard Total Death, I thought it was utter garbage, but have since grown to love it immensely for things that have already been mentioned herein, i.e. some awesome first-wave riffs and a decidedly old-school (even for 1996) approach. I can say the same for FOAD through Circle..., Sardonic Wrath, and especially Hate Them, which along with Ravishing Grimness I find to be the most criminally underrated entries in their discography.

So, because at first listen I'm usually incredibly disappointed by brand new Darkthrone, especially in the case of the last three, I imagine I'm gonna hate the shit out of the new record as soon as I hear it. However, if it's at all like most of their output of the last ten or twelve years, it'll eventually go down as at least respectable. After all, to me this band can ultimately do no wrong: like somebody already said, they're easily the most reliably and consistently excellent (metal) band going.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:35 pm 

https://www.burningshed.com/store/peace ... ction/233/

Pre-order.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:02 pm 

Nice, but I'll be waiting for a North American one as usual. Those international shipping prices will get you.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:06 pm 

I demand online streaming!
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Flugeldufel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:13 pm 

Huge fan of the classic albums. But I came here to say that Hate Them really surprised me with how good it was. It was the only Darkthrone album I didn't have for several years, and the albums before and after (Plaguewielder and Sardonic Wrath) never excited me enough to get it. Eventually I found it in a store, and was really impressed with how nasty it sounds, the guitars and vocals especially. They managed to make the fast parts sound exciting again, and I really like the lyrics, despite not being up to say, Under a Funeral Moon standards.

Anyway, I also like the newer stuff a lot, really the only issue I have is some of Nocturno's lyrics are kind of strange. Will definitely get the new one.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:23 pm 

Reading just half of this page made me realize that now anytime you stop playing fast, it is a cause of Candlemass influence.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:10 pm 

One guy mentioned Candlemass-styled riffs in Burzum, and I said that Fenriz claimed to be influenced by them. Two mentions. And you brilliantly deduce (without sarcasm, of course) that "anytime you stop playing fast, it is a cause of Candlemass influence."

somberlain93
I'm not sexist, I have binders full of women friends!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:29 pm 

I hope this is more like "Dark Thrones and Black Flags" than "Circle the Wagons". The last one isn't bad, but it wasn't as good as I hoped.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:43 am 

My balls are starting to tingle with thoughts of how excellent this is going to be.

AlcoholicMayhem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:32 am 

Can't wait for this one! I am curious to hear the vocals done by Culto this time, as I read they're going to be his most powerful vocals ever!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:34 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvbWDP0pq3Q

LEAVE NO CROSS UNTURNED!!! Is that Mercyful Fate? I just <3 it!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:36 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvbWDP0pq3Q

LEAVE NO CROSS UNTURNED!!! Is that Mercyful Fate? I just <3 it!

Haha you beat me, this is ripping and amazing.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:38 pm 

here's the soundcloud, for whatever that's worth:
https://soundcloud.com/peaceville/darkt ... e-no-cross

e2: quote is not edit, oops

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:42 pm 

:drool: :love: :np:

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:46 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
If you think power metal influence means falsettos and double bass, well...

FALSETTOS! This album is going to be monstrous!!!

reven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:49 pm 

The song is amazing, I'm even more stoked to hear the rest now.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:55 pm 

Hahahaha, it sounds like absolute shit the vocals are lazy and amateurish, its almost like they're parodying themselves with those lame speed metal/classic heavy metal knockoff riffs from insert X Brocas Helm/Attacker album. The riffs go from the uninspired classic heavy metal knockoffs to a stupid slower tempo with more awful vocals, and then it drops down to some shitty ROCKIN Celtic frost-esque chords. Nocturno's vocals are so laughably bad it just can't be emphasized enough, awful song from a band that have lost the plot and are just making asses of themselves now. This is going to be one of the worst albums of 2013.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:57 pm 

Veracs wrote:
I suck.

I agree.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:58 pm 

Veracs wrote:
Nocturno's vocals are so laughably bad it just can't be emphasized enough

I think that's Fenriz singing.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:03 pm 

...It was quite good.

Some of the middle seemed a bit of a mess, but overall it did the job. The vocals were fairly impressive for Fenriz or Nocturno Culto really, perhaps just a step below some of the Isengard stuff.

I'm hoping there will be songs of a slightly higher calibre on the album though. I'm not disappointed, just underwhelmed.

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:24 pm 

Holy balls. My body is ready.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:34 pm 

I could totally hear those Manilla Road influences they were talking about. Really wicked stuff.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:39 pm 

Being loyal to the Darkthrone old school I actually quite enjoyed that, sounds like Darkthrone's take on Mercyful Fate. I will keep an eye on this one.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:43 pm 

I'm a minute in and I love it.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

uzilover
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:47 pm 

The falsetto at the start was total Brian Ross worship, great vocals. I don't hear as much Mercyful Fate as some of you guys.

This album should be a very good one if this track is anything to go by.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next