Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:06 pm 

General Surgery - Man my love for this band came out of nowhere but I sure am glad it happened. These guys have a such a great mix of goregrind and Swedeath. The songs are so catchy and their production is beefy as fuck. Overall, just a great band. They went from me knowing they were a Carcass clone to being one of my favorite bands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjwQoRFwj0Q

The Great Old Ones - I discovered this band from a couple best of 2012 lists. They only have one full length out but it's awesome Lovecraftian black metal. Not traditional black metal though, they utilize the wall of sound and have clean guitars. But it all works to great effect because I always feel like I am in the depths of r'lyeh. The way the clean guitars are used rhythmically in parts of the album are mindblowing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdGXkkmumak
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:22 pm 

Just yesterday I was recommended to listen to Thy Majestie's latest album, ShiHuangDi (thank you again Empyreal!), a conceptual piece of progressive power metal about the first Chinese emperor which is, to put it bluntly, sweet as hell. This is very well balanced Europower; not too light, nor too pompous or innecessarily complex, having an approach that remind's me of Kamelot in their Black Halo days, with tons of hooks, subtle intricacies, driving guitars, a very tasteful use of keyboards, and a vocalist with a dominating presence and a ton of charisma. Seriously, it's awesome.

Oh yeah, there's something else, and for it, I'll simply borrow something I posted in the rec forum:
Quote:
I'd also like to mention a band that was recently brought up in conversation in the heavy/power/speed thread; Armor Column. They're absurdly vicious power/thrash with insane vocals. Seriously, think a mix of Artillery, Overkill, and Jag Panzer with what sounds like a hybrid of Bobby Ellsworth and Harry Conklin behind the mic, and you got it down almost to a T. They're very technical too, and their debut (and only album to date), Maximum Collateral Damage, is centered exclusively around the devastation created by war. In short; they sound like a fucking blitzkrieg made music.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:32 pm 

Akercocke- Yeah I've known about these guys for a while now, but since around mid-summer last year they've grown to become one of my favorite bands. I've heard a few folks refer to them as 'evil Opeth', but really they're much more than just that. An evil mix of atmospheric black metal, American death metal, and progressive rock among other things. It's hard to describe completely, and you'd have to listen to them to really get what they're all about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPw4p7yFHJY

Hate- The blackened death metal outfit from Poland has effectively got my attention. This band has been a favorite of mine for quite a while now. They're quite hateful, like their counterparts Behemoth and Vader, but the thing is, they're a bit more varied in their music. I also started paying attention to the lyrics on Erebos and I have to say that I think they're done brilliantly. Their last four albums are pure gold to me, especially Morphosis and Anaclasis. I am also quite psyched for their new album coming out this month.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLj9U4AjDdE

Weapon- This evil as hell Canadian band was always good in my eyes, but it wasn't until I heard their last two albums (I had only heard their first before) that I really got their vibe of excellence. I thought that their last album was pretty good, but From the Devil's Tomb was one of the best albums of 2010 I think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcrfn_Y4uIQ

Rotting Christ- These guys are just fucking excellent, as they've always consistently kicked my ass. I don't even think they need an introduction these days.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klg58BdnIgk

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:55 pm 

Quote:
Rotting Christ- These guys are just fucking excellent, as they've always consistently kicked my ass. I don't even think they need an introduction these days.

Absoloutely - Really getting into the band myself lately. I'm sure they must be one of the most highly-rated bands on the whole of MA, with at least five consecutive >90% reviews for full-length albums, and countless others also of that score.

For me at the moment I'm having one of those spells where I remember that Vader exist, and just being blown away by the intense riffs and colossal vocals. Finally bought and listened to Welcome to the Morbid Reich the other day, and damn, I can safely say that it did, indeed, kick my ass.

Likewise Anaal Nathrakh have been doing the same thing. The songs are so super-memorable and are perfect to wake me up on the morning walk to uni. In terms of intensity, I'll make the analogy I always do; Anaal Nathrakh feels like the sonic equivalent of being beaten to death by a strobe-light. In a good way.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:06 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Just yesterday I was recommended to listen to Thy Majestie's latest album, ShiHuangDi (thank you again Empyreal!), a conceptual piece of progressive power metal about the first Japanese emperor which is, to put it bluntly, sweet as hell. This is very well balanced Europower; not too light, nor too pompous or innecessarily complex, having an approach that remind's me of Kamelot in their Black Halo days, with tons of hooks, subtle intricacies, driving guitars, a very tasteful use of keyboards, and a vocalist with a dominating presence and a ton of charisma. Seriously, it's awesome.

Yeah, this album has been really doing it for me the last few days. I first heard it sometime before Christmas, but it took a few listens to really open up for me, despite initially being impressed with the vocals and the tight arrangements. More listens revealed a really clever, deft sense of songwriting that is catchy in odd ways, without ever being too obvious - they never go for any AOR hooks like some of their contemporaries, and while the production could be heavier and more gratifying, there is a big sense of reward in how intelligently ShiHuangDi is written, and I always appreciate when a band puts some real thought into writing their hooks. Good stuff.

Otherwise, been revisiting The Chasm recently and furthering my opinion that they're just as much for fans of Manilla Road and Isen Torr as for fans of Morbid Angel and Bolt Thrower. What a great frigging band. And later era Darkthrone is great. I just love the improvised feel of the guitar playing, and how they just keep those riffs coming throughout each album. The Iron Maiden/Celtic Frost/Black Flag mixture is just addictive.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:06 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
Quote:

Absoloutely - Really getting into the band myself lately. I'm sure they must be one of the most highly-rated bands on the whole of MA, with at least five consecutive >90% reviews for full-length albums, and countless others also of that score.

I remember (and am sure of it) that sometime last year all of their full-lengths had a score >90%. Great fucking band.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:09 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
I remember (and am sure of it) that sometime last year all of their full-lengths had a score >90%. Great fucking band.

Nope. The Genesis album at one point had no reviews, and then autothrall gave it an 82%. Then I came by last year to review all the full-lengths and I gave it a score lower that 80%. Theogonia and Aealo have also been lower than 90% for quite some time.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:11 pm 

I saw Windhand last night and now I can't hear properly. Does this qualify as a band kicking my ass lately?

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:31 pm 

Cattle Decapitation - Listened to Monolith of Inhumanity a week after it came out and I fell in love. Downloaded their discography and I haven't hated any of their releases yet (although I wasn't the biggest fan of Homovore).

Deathspell Omega - Only listened to half of Paracletus and their new EP Drought, I'm loving it all so far. They are a goddamn force of nature.

Origin - Completely blown away by Echoes of Decimation, I downloaded Entity but haven't given it a listen yet.

Wolves in the Throne Room - They seem to get better with every release, with my personal favourite being Two Hunters. Black Cascade is pretty awesome, too.

katatonia47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:22 pm 

I'm with you on Wolves in the Throne Room, I've been into them a lot more recently.

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:33 pm 

New Mors Principum Est and new Katalepsy

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:34 pm 

Venenum's self titled EP has impressed me a lot. Awesome, dark twisted death metal with a good sense of melody. I think the production also does a great job on it.

I've been revisiting Artillery's By Inheritance. Just fun thrash metal with cool vocals combined with Egyptian-ish riffing here and there. ''Khomaniac'' has one of the most memorable choruses ever.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:25 pm 

I've started listening to SLAUGHTER's Strappado debut again after long break. This album belongs to top20 thrash albums of all time.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:58 pm 

Lately I have been listening to W.A.S.P. a lot. Obviously every one knows W.A.S.P. as a glam metal band from the same scene as Motley Crue and Quiet Riot. In particular, I have been listening to the albums The Headless Children and The Crimson Idol. Both excellent albums that prove that the band had a lot more in common with traditional metal than groups like Poison and Warrant.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:46 pm 

Acid Bath has, in a way, been kicking my arse. Been listening to their two albums quite heavily these last couple of days. I actually knew of them ages ago, but never had the interest to check them out. Since I have gotten into doom and am starting to explore sludge (starting with Crowbar, of course) I finally gave them a listen and thoroughly enjoy it. This is one of the better songs I of the band, that I'm familiar with at least:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz3Y3NjlAsY

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:26 pm 

been listening to Potal's album Swarth recently quite a bit because of their new song(well newish) love Swarth

luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:48 pm 

Dead Congregation has been pummeling my neck and eardrums as of late. I just picked up their first EP (Purifying Consecrated Ground) on vinyl and it is a BEAST. I can't say if I like it more then their full-length, but it is quality death metal at its finest. I love the transition from Lucid Curse to Feasting Angelcunts on said EP. Fuckin killer. :headbang:

Last edited by luxul on Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iloveblackmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:52 pm 

It didnt really happen like yesterday. But Satanic Warmaster is great! Doesnt really like some of the lyrics also horrible band name haha. But great music. Go check out the Satanic warmaster songs- distant blazing eye, Nameless sacrifice, or A new black order

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:59 pm 

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J-xgLzZKHM

Sulphur Aeon - Those Who Dwell In The Stellar Void.

Incredible shit here...those melodic riffs around the midway point, holy shit.

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:17 pm 

Deathspell Omega - I first listened to these guys over a year ago and really didn't "get it" until about a month ago. Now they're quickly becoming one of my favorite bands with their chaotic trilogy as well as their older more traditional stuff.

Spawn of Possession - This band I just came across in the comments on a Necrophagist youtube video, I was really blown away at how varied their songs were as well as the inclusion of Christian Muenzner in their lineup to top it all off.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:29 pm 

colin040 wrote:
I've been revisiting Artillery's By Inheritance. Just fun thrash metal with cool vocals combined with Egyptian-ish riffing here and there. ''Khomaniac'' has one of the most memorable choruses ever.

Unbelievable record, but I'm more partial towards Bombfood myself. If you think that Khomaniac's chorus is one of the most memorable ever (and it is), then you must worship at the altar that is "BOMBFOOOOOOOOOOOOD, YOU'RE NOT WORTH A DAMN! TAKE ORDEEEEEEEEEEEEEERS IS ALL THAT YOU CAN!"

:-D

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:43 pm 

MazeofTorment wrote:
Sulphur Aeon

This is absolutely crushing! I haven't heard new death metal this gripping in some time. Thanks for sharing!

reven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:14 pm 

Kvelertak has been rocking my socks off lately, their blend of black'n'roll and punk is unbelievably awesome. Also, they have a new album coming out this year so I'm definitely stoked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDyHhV9UK-4

McCannFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:28 pm 

The Ruins Of Beverast. Took me forever to check out this band, but glad I finally did. Some of the best avant-garde occult black metal I've heard. Doomy parts, faster parts, it's all captivating. And a great sludgy undercurrent. I'm in love.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:36 pm 

Edge of Sanity. Sometimes I forget how fucking amazing albums like Purgatory Afterglow and Crimson are. Both are highly different, but I'm really having a hard time picking which I prefer. The Spectral Sorrows is kicking ass as well.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:07 pm 

The various bands of Max Cavalera, particularly 80s Sepultura and Cavalera Conspiracy. Such excellent music.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

todesengel89
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:28 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Just yesterday I was recommended to listen to Thy Majestie's latest album, ShiHuangDi (thank you again Empyreal!), a conceptual piece of progressive power metal about the first Japanese emperor which is, to put it bluntly, sweet as hell.

actually, ShiHuangDi refers to the first Chinese emperor :/ haha the tracklisting on that album and the artwork all look like it could come from a Chinese metal band...

anyway, relating to the topic, recently started exploring Finnish death metal more deeply, can't believe what i have been missing out on. bands like Vorum, Desolate Shrine and Desecresy with their new releases are all spectacular, leaving quite an impression and got me digging deeper into the old school Finnish death scene. need more recommendations apart from the usual Convulse, Depravity and Demigod!
Heavy Metal Tribune #007 feat. Paradise Lost, Rogga Johansson, Riti Occulti, Antin Graham & Nepente!

OceanOfViolence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:53 pm 

Infernal War. Holy fuck this stuff is intense.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:09 pm 

todesengel89 wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
Just yesterday I was recommended to listen to Thy Majestie's latest album, ShiHuangDi (thank you again Empyreal!), a conceptual piece of progressive power metal about the first Japanese emperor which is, to put it bluntly, sweet as hell.

actually, ShiHuangDi refers to the first Chinese emperor :/ haha the tracklisting on that album and the artwork all look like it could come from a Chinese metal band...

Damnit :durr:

Fixed it.

Garyuu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:13 pm 

Nocturnus- They've got to be the best thing I've listened to in a while.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDNy6MuqrMQ

About fifty seconds into the video, they zoom in on the drummers face. The combination of the zoom, and his expression is hilarious.

todesengel89
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:53 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Damnit :durr:

Fixed it.

oh man, i just clicked on the link. powerful and nice melodic stuff, especially with that slight, somewhat oriental sound that they have put into the music as well. haha some parts reminded me of sonata arctica when i liked them though.
Heavy Metal Tribune #007 feat. Paradise Lost, Rogga Johansson, Riti Occulti, Antin Graham & Nepente!

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:24 am 

OceanOfViolence wrote:
Infernal War. Holy fuck this stuff is intense.

Fuck yes it is. It is good to hear someone else listening to them. They are extremely talented and I really hope they put out new material this year. I love their brand of black metal.

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:33 am 

Garyuu wrote:
Nocturnus- They've got to be the best thing I've listened to in a while.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDNy6MuqrMQ

About fifty seconds into the video, they zoom in on the drummers face. The combination of the zoom, and his expression is hilarious.

I missed this post somehow. Nocturnus` The Key is great stuff. Their blend of tech-death and synths, which created that spacey feel, along with the lyrics makes that a unique record. I still can`t find bands who play this type of music, unless you consider Lost Soul a modern variation.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:52 am 

Mysticaloldbard wrote:
MazeofTorment wrote:
Sulphur Aeon

This is absolutely crushing! I haven't heard new death metal this gripping in some time. Thanks for sharing!

np man, these dudes are probably about to be huge. Songs like these are worthy of the attention.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:03 am 

Pyha. A super effective, fuzz laden (seriously, I can't think of a fuzzier album in the genre), slow black metal band. Very emotionally affecting, despair filled vocals...and it was all dome by one Korean 14 year old apparently. I shit you not.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:15 am 

MazeofTorment wrote:
Sulphur Aeon

I have been looking forward to this one myself. I dont bother very much with death metal these days so I can be quite picky, but these guys seem to tick all the boxes of what I used to love about the genre, nice atmosphere and the cover is equally as badass.

Hastein45 wrote:
I still can`t find bands who play this type of music

The Key has always been in my top favourite death metal albums of all time, when it first came out I was not sure what the fuck to think as I had not heard anything like it, but when it took hold it never let go. The Sci-fi horror theme was a brilliant idea, everything just worked. The closest band you could try would be Germany's Starseed, sadly very short lived but the ep was very similar to what Nocturnus was doing. Also give Brownings current band After Death a try, they do hint at Nocturnus on some of the tracks.

Dark_Insanity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:39 am 

Been getting into Forgotten Tomb and Evoken recently, both great bands.

UnrealReality
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:15 am 

Agrypnie.

Their blast beats are very nicely executed. And vocals in black metal that are not feeling like they damage your ears with full force, is always a positive trait.

Itheus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:46 am 

Clair Cassis - self titled.

Yes, this is the duo that brought us Velvet Cacoon...which was a turnoff for me at first (you know, the whole music stealing thing). But if you ignore the past hijinks and simply listen to this album, you'll find a beautiful, eerie, atmospheric piece of art.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZikbbAaY_U

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:49 am 

- Haemorrhage: Never really been into goregrind but I absolutely love these guys! Very punky and catchy with a nice sense of humour and mental vocals. Can't get enough of them!
- Darkthrone: The second, third and fourth albums ('unholy trinity'). Fucking HATE 'FOAD' but maybe I just have to keep trying. Quite new to black metal and really addicted to 'Transylvanian hunger'. Any suggestions of where to go next?

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next