Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The SHM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:44 pm 

I say I don't, but I just realized that 3/4 of all the punk on my iTunes is pop punk songs I happened to love. That being said, I'm between being an outright 'Pop punk ruined punk and rock!' and 'Closet pop punk fan.' I don't particularly like what Green Day, Fall Out Boy, Paramore, and others have done to the scene, but hey, it gives me something to lampoon before going on 6 hour Led Zep/Black Sab/Blue Cheer marathons. Overall, the pop punk scene just seems like "Spiky Haired Dudes With Eyeliner+Pop Themes+A Pinch Of Political Activism+Whatever That Guitar Crunch Jump Thing Pop Punk Guitarists Do ( Which I have been close to perfecting on my own; also threw out my thumb!)= Pop Punk." The fifth generation pop punk bands just feel so manufactured and I don't even see Green Day as punk anymore- they're more garage/moderate rock/ quasi-punk to me. Like they've been going in a post-grunge direction, IMO.

>>I know that many, many people hate just as much as many, many people love it. It technically does keep rock on the charts. Why not ask a forum of metalheads whether they think pop punk is good? If they think its poppy, wannabe-punk charms is a great thing for rock and roll.<<

Last edited by The SHM on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:17 pm 

I will never get tired of Blink-182.

The SHM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:19 pm 

Can never go wrong with the '182. Oddly enough, as I type up a thread about pop punk, here I am listening to psychedelic '60s groove rock. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6iRZm5wC84 Must becomin' a schizoid or somen'

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:16 pm 

I think the most poppy my punk gets is The Vandals. Some albums are turds, but they have some awesome ones anyway.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

iloveblackmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:05 pm 

Green day fucking rules atleast up to insomniac now they suck donkey dick

but u got to admitt dookie was awesome

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:11 pm 

I can't make a big post like I want to on my phone right now, but trust me the answer is yes, though I'm more into the melodic hardcore and skate punk subniches.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:22 pm 

Yeah, I get into a lot of the melodic/skate punk stuff as well, but it does get to a point for me where it's too 'sugar coated' I guess you could say. I'm into Teenage Bottlerocket, the Vandals, NoFX, stuff like that. Started getting into that stuff around the age of 12, a couple years before metal became my bread and butter. Still a huge fan of a lot of these poppier/more melodic bands, though. Very fun stuff to listen to.

Favorite melodic hardcore band of all time - Strike Anywhere. Check them out, be sure to listen to a good handful of songs (if you haven't already, they could be more popular than I'm thinking). Great music, greater live act!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:27 pm 

I'm a big fan of Teenage Bottlerocket (also) and The Lillingtons. I've been meaning to check out other, similar acts (The Ergs!, The Descendents, Screeching Weasel), but I'm a lazy son of a bitch. By contrast, pop punk groups like Blink-182 are not my thing whatsoever.

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:31 pm 

I like the Descendents and Screeching Weasel as well, though I've really only dabbled in the two. If you get around to checking them out, look into The Descendents' "Merican" and Screeching Weasel's "Hey Suburbia", those are some personal favorites.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:42 pm 

Oh yeah, I like some skater/melodic hardcore punk. But I prefer my punk, ska influenced. Ranging from Sublime to Choking Victim to Streetlight to Leftover Crack and all the waves of ska throughout the 90s to what it is today. I also fancy a bit of celtic influenced stuff like Flogging Molly.

To answer exactly to the OP's question. I used to listen to Greenday and Offspring in the mid to late nineties. 'Dookie' was immense and those songs are timeless to be honest. Anyway, after a while I kinda stopped listening to them and I definitely don't think much of pop-punk :)

Fearphobia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:34 pm 

The first Offspring album is outstanding, and I enjoy most of their singles. So naturally I only own their Greatest Hits and their 1989 album. I find they are a lot more riff based than Blink-182, Sum 41, Green Day, Simple Plan etc.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:54 pm 

Really not a fan of pop punk, it grates on me way too much - a couple of songs/bands I don't mind, like The Offspring or Graves-era Misfits, but I only really listen to the latter on a regular basis. I'm not super well versed on punk, so maybe there is more that I listen to.

I will also say anything on the Crazy Taxi soundtrack remains gold to me.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:28 pm 

what was considered punk in my early teenager years (the 90's)is now considered pop punk, so i would say i liked pop punk from that era(nofx,lagwagon,good riddance,pulley,guttermouth,mellincolin,pennywise,dropkick murphys,rancid and so on) .But none of that new crap.

If i listen to any punk these day's though it's usually the likes of G.G Allin,Choking Victim,Gorilla Biscuits,Circle Jerks,The Misfits.Minor Threat and shit.....Generally older stuff

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:14 pm 

I'm nauseated by the prominent bands in this genre so I've never been compelled to check out the lesser known bands. I have a The Replacements tape but I found it to be un-listenable. I think the vocals are what nauseate me the most.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:19 pm 

bloodycumshit wrote:
what was considered punk in my early teenager years (the 90's)is now considered pop punk, so i would say i liked pop punk from that era(nofx,lagwagon,good riddance,pulley,guttermouth,mellincolin,pennywise,dropkick murphys,rancid and so on) .But none of that new crap.

If i listen to any punk these day's though it's usually the likes of G.G Allin,Choking Victim,Gorilla Biscuits,Circle Jerks,The Misfits.Minor Threat and shit.....Generally older stuff

:thumbsup: Thumbs up for mentioning G.G. Allin!

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:45 pm 

Growing up, I was always more into the angrier hardcore and crossover stuff, but there was a few poppish punk albums I dug like The Descendant's Milo Goes To College and the first Dag Nasty album with Dave Smalley on vocals...though it sort of pinballs between punk and hardcore.

Don't listen to much of that stuff these days, but I have to give a shout out to one of the first great punk pop bands ever, The Buzzcocks. Singles Going Steady is a classic album and a must have for those into the catchier side of punk rock.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:05 am 

I got into it for a while during the mid 1990s, a period after getting pretty burned out after listening almost exclusively to death and thrash metal for the previous four or five years. It was a nice break. I really dug the Ramones, Screeching Weasel, Face to Face, Green Day, and the Decendants, and of course a lot of the Fat Wreck Chords type bands. I am not ashamed of getting into Blink 182 the first time I heard them (1997, right before they started to get really big.) But I dunno...by the time that stuff got really mainstream and big, I got bored with it. And no, it wasnt purely BECAUSE it got really mainstream and big. Rather, it seemed like when Good Charlotte, Sum 41, New Found Glory and all that came out, that it was just rehashed, watered down and dumbed down versions of the stuff I had been listening to. Even the later Blink 182 stuff seemed too, well, watered down and teenybopperish, which brings me to another point, the audiences for that stuff were getting younger and younger and I didn't wanna be that "only guy over 30" at a Blink 182 concert.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:18 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
the audiences for that stuff were getting younger and younger and I didn't wanna be that "only guy over 30" at a Blink 182 concert.

it's funny when i'm flicking through the channels these days,the theme music to some of these shitty cartoons for little kids are using music that sounds like blink 182 and new found glory and stuff

mcmufffins
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:43 am 

The Queers and Screeching Weasel are probably my favorite pop punk bands. I don't really dig any other ones that I've heard.

Unless we count the Ramones, though I've always thought of them as just straight up punk rock.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:56 am 

I love the current wave of pop punk bands like The Wonder Years, The Story So Far, Man Overboard, ect., and have been listening to that stuff way more than metal nowadays. The shows are way more fun too; everybody singing along, stage diving, non ugly girls... As far as older stuff goes, Blink 182 is up there with Megadeth, Overkill, and Blind Guardian for the spot of my favorite band, I like Green Day's Dookie although not much else by them, love what little Sum 41 I've heard, and like New Found Glory a lot. Also like My Chemical Romance's The Black Parade, although I'm not sure if it would really be considered pop punk. Its totally unauthentic poppy rock though, so close enough. Paramore is good also. Basically, pop punk is the best thing to happen in the history of mankind.

To anybody interested, check out this excellent local pop punk band Thieves...
http://thievestx.bandcamp.com/album/achiever-2

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Last edited by Thashierthanthou on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:57 am 

Now that I'm actually on a computer I can differentiate what it was I was talking about:

Most of the time, I tend to say I like pop punk instead of just punk because there's an obvious difference you'd think of when hearing the two terms. I mean, my preferred genre isn't necessarily hardcore punk, though I do like the obvious bands like Black Flag and Discharge, nor is it the old school punk like The Ramones, Sex Pistols, and such. And the reason I don't go straight into the subgenres I specifically prefer (skate punk and melodic hardcore) is because generally people aren't well versed enough to really know the difference off hand. So basically when I say that I like pop punk, I'm saying I like extreme metal instead of just metal or specifically saying I like technical brutal death metal.

Now when it comes to most of the bands people think of when you hear "pop punk" (Green Day, Blink-182, things of that sort), I'm really not that much of a fan. I mean, I like Green Day well enough, and I'm genuinely a massive fan of The Offspring, and Sum 41 isn't bad at times, but shit like Good Charlotte and New Found Glory and Blink-182 can wither off and die for all I care. And when it comes to the band I like the most of that group (The Offspring), it's really not the songs you think of that I like. They exist in some strange parallel universe where all of the singles they release suck face, but everything else on the album is great. There are a few exceptions (namely "The Kids Aren't Alright" and anything off Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace, which was the one album where it was opposite (good singles, bad other songs)), but generally all the non-singles are very good. Pick up Smash or particularly Splinter and you'll see. The latter has two of their best songs, and you'd never expect if you'd only heard shit like "Hit That". And hell, even their worst album can manage to shit out one good song. Basically whenever The Offspring manage to keep it remotely punky instead of going headlong into pop, they crank out some good shit. But if you know them for crap like "Pretty Fly for a White Guy" or "Come Out and Play" or "Original Prankster", or the god fucking awful "California", just know that that really doesn't represent the majority of their output. With their newest album, it was actually worth sitting through that wretched trainwreck that is "California" if only because the album closes with my new favorite song of theirs, seriously.

But generally, that's not the kind of stuff I listen to when I say I like pop punk, The Offspring is basically the one strange exception of the actual pop punk band I really like. Because really, if I said I liked punk, punk purists would rip my head off if they found out I was referring to Rise Against, despite the fact that they started off as a legit melodic hardcore band and even though their new albums contain high octane numbers like the old days, it's still not "real punk", so I just throw it under the label of "pop punk" so real punk fans who know more about the style than I do don't get all up in a tizzy. I see the label of "melodic hardcore" thrown around with Rise Against, and there are other (totally awesome) bands like Mighty Midgets, Hit the Switch, Atlas Losing Grip, Mute, Pense, No Trigger, and such who get that same tag. So I kind of have an idea of what melodic hardcore is supposed to sound like, and if anybody knows better than I do, please let me know if any of these bands are mislabled. Point is that they all fucking rule and if you consider yourself a fan of the style then you are doing yourself a disservice by not checking them out.

Other than that, there are the other bands I love that get labeled skate punk. Bands like The Supervisors, Adrenalized, The Decline, All Spent, The Flatliners, and then of course the obvious older bands like Pennywise and such (which, by the way, if you find yourself bummed that they've been shit for the past fifteen years, rejoice because the new album is really good). So in my brain, there lies the dichotomy between the two styles of cleaner, poppier punk based stuff that I really enjoy. I'm kind of shit at explaining why anything other than metal is good, so just listen to a few of my random links I guess to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Oh, and Descendants rule extraordinarily fucking hard and Bad Religion is my favorite band of all time behind only Running Wild, but if you didn't already listen to them then we just might have a problem on our hands.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:39 am 

@ BastardHead funny that you mention rise against.i'v never been into them, but i have some die hard punk mates who use to love them.But they now hate them purely because of there new stuff...i bet they haven't even heard a whole album of there new stuff either :roll: to me it doesnt even sound that different.
Have you heard the singer of rise against's other band "Killing tree"

a bit more metal if rise against is getting to poppy

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:59 am 

Does Bad Religion's No Control count? I hate everything else I've heard by them, and everything else that sounds similar, but that album rules pretty hard. Not sure if it's really genuine pop punk though, more super clean, super melodic catchy punk.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:49 am 

I like some power pop and poppy proto-punk of and also plenty of synth/new wave etc. stuff that arise from punk but the actual "pop punk" and "skate punk" as it was in 90s I cannot stand at all. It just rubs me in a wrong way and I'm really stubborn in this. Heck I hate even Bad Religion! There is one exception though and that is early Offspring.

Also melodic hardcore can be good. I like Gorilla Biscuits and Hüsker Dü's first album if you can count it melodic hc.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:45 am 

I'm a pretty big fan of the more popular bands in this genre - pre-americana offspring, NOFX, pennywise, green day's first 3, bad religion, guttermouth, etc. Offspring and NOFX in particular are two of my all-time favourite bands, only just below AiC (never miss a chance to namedrop - listen to the new song!) I never liked blink 182 though, even when they were popular and i was into some similar-ish bands. i hated the "it's a frat party, bro!!" thing they had going on, and i think that their songs were used in a bunch of those american-pie type movies didn't help.

UnrealReality
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:27 am 

I am a quite openminded person, who does not care whoever looks down upon whatever (in their opinion) shitty music I listen to. Pop-punk being one of the oftenly looked-down-upon genres when I am speaking with my fellow black-metal or classical listener.

I do like Yellowcard, for their use of instrumentation, their variety in both lyrics and music, and the fact that they use violin (Or viola, as it really is). They are the only band I know in that genre, who has a range from mellow acoustic music, over fast-paced ballads with an interlude to the punk-rooted fury.

I have listened to a lot of other pop-punk bands throughout my life, but none has ever catched my ear.

Cianan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:03 pm 

The Wonder Years are a fantastic band. Obviously Blink-182 is a staple of the genre, however I find myself liking the middle ground of the genre. Bands like Living With Lions, Make Do and Mend, Red City Radio, Polar Bear Club, Nothington, Banner Pilot, How Dare You etc. are by far the highlights for me. I love the pop punk tendencies mixed with a harder edge from regular punk and often hardcore as well.

EDIT:

Misser are also another fantastic band to check out, especially if you cannot stand the more "whiny" vocals that pop-punk is often associated with.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:11 pm 

Cianan wrote:
The Wonder Years are a fantastic band. Obviously Blink-182 is a staple of the genre, however I find myself liking the middle ground of the genre. Bands like Living With Lions, Make Do and Mend, Red City Radio, Polar Bear Club, Nothington, Banner Pilot, How Dare You etc. are by far the highlights for me. I love the pop punk tendencies mixed with a harder edge from regular punk and often hardcore as well.

EDIT:

Misser are also another fantastic band to check out, especially if you cannot stand the more "whiny" vocals that pop-punk is often associated with.

never heard em,kind of sound like what "star fucking hipsters" are doing

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:59 pm 

I used to love Sum 41 back in those nu metal/pop punk days of early 2000s, i still respect them though, they are very metal influenced too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... h-c#t=120s that riff is pure metal.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:01 pm 

bloodycumshit wrote:

I didn't realize Dropkick Murphys were considered pop punk? I always thought of them as being just Celtic Punk, there isn't too much poppy about them. If they fall into the genre, though, that's another band who are a part of it that I like - great band who are amazing live.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:38 am 

I have an incredibly strong disdain for "clean"/"commercial"/"mainstream"/entirely fucking soulless Pop Punk, but I really like stuff like Screeching Weasel + Region Rock stuff.

Region Rock of the southern US has probably been my all-time favorite music/obsession over the last couple of years.

I don't know why it is, but southeastern Punk bands are really god damn melodic/"poppy" while maintaining, for the most part, a seriously raw, unpolished edge and emotional urgency I haven't found anywhere else.

Chattanooga, TN and Huntsville, AL scenes are/were goldmines for any fan of "old school"/"non-commercial" Pop Punk music since the mid-90's+.

Great resources for "obscure" and "regionally famous" acts, old and new alike:
http://regionrockandmore.blogspot.com/
http://remoteoutposts.blogspot.com/
http://nostalgiaisntwhatitusedtobe.blogspot.com/

FYI: Forced Vengeance have a 7" featured on both the first two links, but the second link features an additional track not on the 7".
GIT SUM!

EDIT: FUCK ME for accidentally closing this tab while trying to respond to this:
bloodycumshit wrote:

One more time... Basically, what I said before I lost my post is, early GG Allin was great, poppy, anthemic music, and people who don't realize it are deaf.

I also mentioned that even much of what was happening throughout his career and just before he died, while not "poppy" was very catchy and "danceable" (albeit rather aggressive and raw), Punk music:

Early:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5IEMUDE59E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4wiixYYtok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHW1nAWpSDk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhWV6QJubxc

Later:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaUH-mYyZuE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5YeSL3kP8g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw7lUMC-m3Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC-sZOLY_sg

What I had to say was a lot more detailed and eloquent than this, but I can't fucking remember it now... :violin:

PS: The Dickies RULE. IDK how I forgot to mention them. Great shit.

Last edited by the_raytownian on Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:11 am 

TheUglySoldier wrote:

I didn't realize Dropkick Murphys were considered pop punk? I always thought of them as being just Celtic Punk, there isn't too much poppy about them. If they fall into the genre, though, that's another band who are a part of it that I like - great band who are amazing live.

Well i didn't really think they were pop either,but it seems any skate punk or ska type band from that era gets the pop label thrown at them these days,i think it's because a lot of those bands were with fat records or hellcat records which seem to have gone a bit commercial ,even taking on a lot of so called alternate rap artists.Also whats considered normal punk these days (apart from maybe crusty and oi bands) are a lot heavier and shit!!boarder line metal really,nothing like ye olden days.
I would never put the likes of Paramore and sum 41 in the same category as say Bad religion and Nofx thoug.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:36 am 

Oh, hey, I just remembered something... anyone a fan of Lawnmower Deth's Billy album? It was like a Pop-Punk album that used Thrash Metal guitars/tones to reproduce the blistering/fuzzy/buzzy guitar tone of a lot of bands like Ramones, Fastbacks and The Queers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKeliXq9-jI

I know it's hated by a lot of people, but I can't deny loving songs like that.

I think the sort of Ramones-esque Pop Punk style that started developing around that period must've had a lot to do with bands being influenced by UK Indie-Pop (which was itself largely influenced by 60's Pop/Rock) after the decline of Glam and Post-Punk in the 80's.

I never really made this connection before, but it seems quite probable that there is some influence from 80's Indie as much as from Ramones (who were also fans of 1960's Pop music, supposedly).

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:52 pm 

My housemate listens to tons of pop-punk (and metalcore and nu metal -_-) and I really don't like it. Then again when it comes to punk I only really like grindcore and crust, the more extreme the better. Pop-punk just seems like boy bands which just happen to have guitar players. No aggression, no message, no attitude, and to my mind that's what punk needs to be. And even taking away from this, and ignoring the genre's name, like I say it just sounds like boybands with guitars. Just not interested in the slightest.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:14 pm 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
My housemate listens to tons of pop-punk (and metalcore and nu metal -_-)

fuck!!!you poor bastard...actually i could handle metal-core

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:32 pm 

So the short answer is that a lot of metalheads have their odd favorite from this field.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:09 am 

bloodycumshit wrote:
Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
My housemate listens to tons of pop-punk (and metalcore and nu metal -_-)

fuck!!!you poor bastard...actually i could handle metal-core

I's better than the other three who just listen to the charts. If they're all playing music and it annoys me I'm not gonna be a dick about it, I'll just go to my room. Simple enough.

Last edited by Twin_guitar_attack on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plasticpope
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:08 am 

bloodycumshit wrote:
TheUglySoldier wrote:

Well i didn't really think they were pop either,but it seems any skate punk or ska type band from that era gets the pop label thrown at them these days,i think it's because a lot of those bands were with fat records or hellcat records which seem to have gone a bit commercial ,even taking on a lot of so called alternate rap artists.Also whats considered normal punk these days (apart from maybe crusty and oi bands) are a lot heavier and shit!!boarder line metal really,nothing like ye olden days.
I would never put the likes of Paramore and sum 41 in the same category as say Bad religion and Nofx thoug.

Nope, i\I would NEVER regard Dropkicks as a pop-punk band, it's always gonna be too rough around the edges, I mean it's a bunch of dudes from Boston playing bagpipes and accordions, and that matter is always going to alienate them from being totally mainstream, although they do sell a lot of records.

As for my taste, I wouldn't really call it pop-punk in terms of sell out bastards who disgrace punk, but I do like some catchy punk rock. NOFX, Lagwagon, Frenzal Rhomb, dookie/insomniac era greenday, pennywise, but for me to enjoy punk it normally has to be played at a blistering pace, so I also like a lot of crossover thrash

The SHM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:55 pm 

To the guy who deals with pop punk, nu metal, and metalcore= you think you have it bad??? Because you do.
I'm lucky if anyone I know (outside of the inner circle) likes even one of those scenes/subgenres.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:07 pm 

"Boy Bands with guitars..." That's a pretty apt definition of what pop-punk has devolved into. And it's a big part of the reason I grew out of it.

It seemed like the mid-90s Fat Wreck Chords bands, and stuff like Screeching Weasel, still had enough rough edges to them- agression, energy, attitude, and yes, even the way they looked- to still be solidly "punk." Although some clearly leaned more towards bubblegum pop than others. Even the ones who did, like for example Screeching Weasel and the Hard-ons (both of which were among my faves back then...) still had enogh of the thick guitars and headbang-able energy to alienate the average female 13 year old N'Stinc fan. No fucking "metrosexual" eyeliner (trying to stay P.C. here...) or pretty boy Hollister/Volcom fashion gear for these bands. I wouldn't say that about Paramore, New Found Glory or the over polished, watered down guitar pop that passes for "pop punk" in it's more recent years.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next