Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Tranquillian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:41 pm 

I couldn't find anything about this band mentioned here so I thought I should give Summoning fans a heads up.

Caladon Brood from Salt Lake City will release their debut album in february called "Echoes of Battle". The songs are apparently inspired by the fantasy book series "The Malazan book of the fallen" by Steven Erikson.

Tracklist:
1. City of Azure Fire (10:09)
2. Echoes of Battle (9:21)
3. Wild Autumn Wind (13:46)
4. To Walk the Ashes of Dead Empires (13:12)
5. A Voice Born of Stone and Dust (9:50)
6. Book of the Fallen (14:55)

The album will be out on Northern Silence in mid-february.

The sample track at http://shop.northern-silence.de/ sounds awesome.

Also a teaser here: https://soundcloud.com/caladan-brood/ec ... bum-teaser with clips from all songs on the album. 6 tracks, 71 minutes of music.

Some of the music and vocals, plus the artwork style strongly reminds me of Summoning. After hearing these samples I am actually thinking that Summoning will have to work hard to be the reigning kings of their own style of music.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:23 pm 

Eh...listening now... I'm tempted to say fuck this. You just don't step to Summoning.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:33 pm 

Is this your own band? I can't see any other reason for you to think that this is better, or as good, as Summoning.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Tranquillian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:40 pm 

Zombie - The band is from Salt Lake City, my profile says I'm Swedish. You do the math.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:03 pm 

Then I don't get it. Anyway, it's not bad, but it's not Summoning either.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:41 pm 

Thanks for the heads up. I am unfamiliar with this band, but dig the samples so I will keep my eye of this one.

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:54 pm 

They sound interesting enough, I was actually just searching for this band in the archives when I saw this thread. I might give them more of a listen. Definitely no Summoning though.

morfumax
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:49 pm 

Will check this out simply because Malazan Book of the Fallen is my all time favorite book series.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:50 am 

The album cover is beautiful, lets listen to the samples. :)

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:27 am 

Wow! the song is beautifull, great vocals and the atmosphere is epic as hell!.
Cant wait to listen to the full album. Thanks for posting this, its always great to begin a new year with new bands. ;)

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:30 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
Wow! the song is beautifull, great vocals and the atmosphere is epic as hell!.
Cant wait to listen to the full album. Thanks for posting this, its always great to begin a new year with new bands. ;)

Agreed, keen to hear this when it comes out, for me Northern Silence rarely disappoint.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:53 pm 

The A5 cover looks fuckin awsome to, what one to go for now???

http://www.northern-silence.de/files/ca ... echoes.htm

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:56 pm 

I discovered the band earlier today, and I can safely say I really enjoyed the music - Yes, it's very similar to Summoning, at times perhaps even derivative, but frankly I still found it to sound splendid.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:59 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
I discovered the band earlier today, and I can safely say I really enjoyed the music - Yes, it's very similar to Summoning, at times perhaps even derivative, but frankly I still found it to sound splendid.

Yea, they show a lot of potential in this epic style, as I said in the other thread there is plenty of room for more Summonings!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=lQ950yI_4SQ

My_Last_Battle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:42 pm 

What the hell!
This is the most epic metal I've ever heard! In my opinion Caladan Brood has surpassed Summoning. This band gives me something that I always missed in Summoning. Even when they are using autotune it doesn't bother because this is the first time in my life when I enjoy autotune, it just fits to this Caladan Brood.
With the Echoes of Battle album Caladan Brood raises the standard of epic black metal. How the hell they can keep every song this epic? I thought long to buy some Summoning merch but after listening to this unbelievable album I ordered Caladan Brood digicd and longshirt!

I thought that I would never be this excited to hear new music but luckily this band changed my mind!

rumpusaurus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:51 pm 

Heard this for the first time the other day and can't recommend it enough. Absolutely incredible album.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:47 pm 

Finally heard this today, pretty solid album, i'm sure i'll listen to it again. on a completely unrelated note, has anyone else heard the new Elffor? seems they changed a little.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:31 pm 

listened to this album in full a number of times over the last couple of days, really enjoying it. obvious summoning influences, but great album in its own right

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:12 am 

g_k wrote:
Finally heard this today, pretty solid album, i'm sure i'll listen to it again. on a completely unrelated note, has anyone else heard the new Elffor? seems they changed a little.

The new Elffor album is again a solid release. The style has changed from the earlier albums, not as unique sounding if you know what I mean, less Summoning like, becoming a normal atmospheric black metal band but a good one at that.

I think Northern Silence are dispatching the Caladan Brood albums now so I can not wait to hear this. I deliberately chose not to check out any of the other tracks yet as I did not want to spoil listening to the cd version, albums like these come along which you just know are going to be awesome so I like to hold back especially after forking out my hard earned cash on it. These guys are showing so much potential and are a welcome sight in the Summoning world.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:30 am 

The album is a fucking masterpiece, incredible, epic and simply perfect. I have spent the weekend listening to it, I cant wait to buy it.

By the way, i have the last opus from Elffor, an amazing album as usual, the first and the last songs are Elffor as its best, amazing keys and atmosphere. And the "big" digibook release is spectacular, buy it if you can!!

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:06 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
The album is a fucking masterpiece, incredible, epic and simply perfect. I have spent the weekend listening to it, I cant wait to buy it.

By the way, i have the last opus from Elffor, an amazing album as usual, the first and the last songs are Elffor as its best, amazing keys and atmosphere. And the "big" digibook release is spectacular, buy it if you can!!

Forgot to mention the Elffor digibook, it is great indeed ltd to 333 copies. Only thing I found it hard to get the disc out of it due to the centre plastic being very tight. The artwork Eol uses ia always fantastic. In saying that the Caladan Brood cd and A5 digi will have different artwork throughout, choices, choices....

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:31 am 

I must say this band's whole...thing irritates me, but based on the enthusiastic feedback here I'll try and give it a fair chance. Will return with possible rant.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:12 am 

STORMM wrote:
Paganbasque wrote:

Forgot to mention the Elffor digibook, it is great indeed ltd to 333 copies. Only thing I found it hard to get the disc out of it due to the centre plastic being very tight. The artwork Eol uses ia always fantastic. In saying that the Caladan Brood cd and A5 digi will have different artwork throughout, choices, choices....

Yes, this part is annoying, the very first time I thought I was going to break the cd hahaha.

Different artwork? I have to check this because the front cover I have seen is awesome.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:15 pm 

Second-rate Summoning ripoff. Way too saccharine and unimaginative to be enjoyable even as a Summoning substitute.

Tranquillian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:45 pm 

My A5 digibook is on it's way in the mail now so I guess I can download and listen to the album now :)

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:35 pm 

Ilwhyan pretty much summed up my feelings about this. Nothing more than bland Summoning worship with boring riffs, dull melodies, and autotuned clean vocals.
Oh, but it's about a different fantasy series, not Tolkien!
:finger:

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:23 pm 

anyone else read the books? great stuff truely spic in scope. i find it cool having read them all that a band was inspired enough to use it as there shtick. there is certainly no lack for material to base this sort of music off from in the books. i find similarities to summoning but i like this better thaan some of summonings material. but thats just me oh well.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:58 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Ilwhyan pretty much summed up my feelings about this. Nothing more than bland Summoning worship with boring riffs, dull melodies, and autotuned clean vocals.
Oh, but it's about a different fantasy series, not Tolkien!
:finger:

Yikes, harsh. I agree it's not nearly as good as Summoning and seem to be missing some... thing that made Summoning so awesome, but based on the teaser on Soundcloud I'm still gonna give them a shot, it could be decent and fill the void while we impatiently wait for a new Summoning release. :puppy:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:34 am 

Yeah but then you'll buy this album and then be all bored and sad and wish it were Summoning :( Just wait for Summoning, it's only a few months! No support for shameless fantasy metal pretenders! :panda:

ArcticTundra13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:44 am 

I'm halfway through it. It is a solid album. No, it isn't Summoning, but as mentioned before it is a good bridge for the forthcoming Summoning album. I'm now interested in giving the book series a read, though 10 looong novels does seem a bit overwhelming...

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:46 am 

I started the Malazan saga, I stopped for some reasons, I should get back to it. It's great but very complex.

I'm gonna check out this album 'cause I like both Summoning and Malazan. If it sucks, well, it will only make the new Summoning better or will simply help me to sleep!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

LordTool
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:32 am 

I loved the tracks theyve put up and am planning on buying this.

For all the people saying Summoning is better, where's a good starting point/album for them? I havnt actually listened to them besides youtube tracks that never held my attention. For reference I prefer the more smooth, melodic, symphonic, epic-Bathoryness and less harsh/dissonant black metal.

Horace Bones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:02 am 

You can pick anything Minas Morgul and forward really...they are all pretty solid IMO. My favorites are Stronghold, Minas Morgul and Let Mortal Heroes Sing your Fame.

As for Caladan Brood…its actually a grower. It gets better and better with each repeated listen…at least for me anyways. It’s definitely not Summoning, but a fair substitute until the new album drops. And I think it’s better than Emyn Muil’s debut. And at least it doesn’t come off as pretentious as a lot of these other newer USBM bands tend to be.

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:49 pm 

on a side note. the books are totally wort reading. the first one is a bit hard to follow but it is essential for the series. that said books 2 and 3 are among my favorite fantasy ever writtn. It is long and veery complex, its akin to being dropped in a fully ealised alien world that has as much if not more history than our own planet. The caladan brood lyrics make a lot more sence knowing the source material.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:53 pm 

Is this band's name a Dune reference?

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:27 pm 

vulcan plutarchy wrote:
Is this band's name a Dune reference?

I what, I what...what-i..what.what...what...what...what

*ahem* looks like someone didn't read the OP.

Anyways, the album is growing on me, not really summoning, the influence is there, but it is a njce listen.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:32 pm 

My fault.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:57 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Yeah but then you'll buy this album and then be all bored and sad and wish it were Summoning :( Just wait for Summoning, it's only a few months! No support for shameless fantasy metal pretenders! :panda:

Who said anything about buying? :oh shit:

(Well, if I like it I'll buy it, as usual...)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:43 am 

Oath Bound and Minas Morgul are untouchables for me, but this debut is better than some Summoning albums, its only my opinion so do not burn me please.

Hush_03
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:50 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Eh...listening now... I'm tempted to say fuck this. You just don't step to Summoning.

At what point did you get the idea that these guys were "stepping" to Summoning? Have you read any of the interviews they've done? They have the utmost respect for Summoning.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next