Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
blacknettle45
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:42 pm 

I personally taught it was a great album and it had a great story to it.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:57 am 

I really like it. It was a more inspired and varied than the previous one, it was more "trashy" in its pace which I really appreciated. Without any doubt "The Funerary Dirge of a Violinist " was the highlight of the album, at least for me, whant a brilliant song!!.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:11 am 

It is a band a avoided listening to for a long time for whatever reason until recently when I picked up this release. Upon first few listens they sound pretty good, I love the lyrics and concept it makes it all the more interesting. Is the previous albums any good? I have yet to see them for a good price, anywhere I have saw them they are way to dear even on the bands website which is a bit shit.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:36 am 

I've only listened to Death Came on a Phantom Shit and didn't really like it. Too much artsy nonsense. Is ...Corpses... any different?

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:24 am 

I thought they were kinda cool when I first heard them, but after a few listens of their latest couple albums I started to feel like they were just too cheesy for my liking. The music and songwriting is well done, but the lyrics are just silly and I find it hard to take them seriously.

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:10 pm 

They're my favorite new band. Seriously.

reven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:12 pm 

A band with great potential, love everything they've done so far. The debut is probably my favorite album but all three of them are awesome.

ArcticTundra13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:59 pm 

The debut certainly stands out as my favorite. I thought the second album was very well done, and their latest effort a bit lacking. It's still a fun listen, but I don't get the same haunted atmosphere I do when I listen to their first album. But, I definitely am due to give this album another spin soon...

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:24 pm 

I'm a bit clueless about that type of music and didn't know this band at all. Just checked a few songs on Youtube and it's not bad!

I have a friend who is into Dimmu Borgir who might really like that stuff.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:59 am 

STORMM wrote:
It is a band a avoided listening to for a long time for whatever reason until recently when I picked up this release. Upon first few listens they sound pretty good, I love the lyrics and concept it makes it all the more interesting. Is the previous albums any good? I have yet to see them for a good price, anywhere I have saw them they are way to dear even on the bands website which is a bit shit.

Try the debut album, in my opinion its the best one, and the song "A strange presence near the woods" is simply marvellous!!

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:15 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
STORMM wrote:

Try the debut album, in my opinion its the best one, and the song "A strange presence near the woods" is simply marvellous!!

Cheers PB I will check it out. I really like what they are doing with the concept stories, sure the lyrics might get cheesy here and there but I love the whole ghost story thing, wish more would take it on. King Diamond has been doing it for years but cant think of many more.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:12 pm 

I reviewed their first album years ago and thought it was decent enough symphonic meloblack stuff. Nowadays I'm not too interested in the shallowness of this style and the other albums I've heard sounded generic and boring, flash over substance.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

BrutalCatfish
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:19 am 

Haven't heard their other stuff, but might check it out. I agree with the "shallowness," but the music is tight. Lyrically silly yes, but "Lingering In an Imprint Haunting" is a rad track. I'm conflicted, gotta check out past albums to be sure.

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:24 pm 

blacknettle45 wrote:
I personally taught it was a great album and it had a great story to it.

I got a mental image of you being a teacher at academy of valid metal and some students took notes when you told them why the album is great. Then, at a later point there'll be an exam about which albums are great and why.

Also, I've heard the first two albums and based on them I'm not that excited about hearing this one. Maybe one day, if the stars are right or wrong...

Garyuu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:46 pm 

Riffs wrote:
I'm a bit clueless about that type of music and didn't know this band at all. Just checked a few songs on Youtube and it's not bad!

I have a friend who is into Dimmu Borgir who might really like that stuff.

Your really must not be familiar with this type of music. They are both symphonic black metal, but they sound a lot different. He might like Carach Angren, but I think Winterburst is more similar.

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:02 pm 

Fwiw, all three albums are available for free to hear on spotify...

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:17 pm 

I, like many, enjoy the message and how they convey it. Their latest effort is centered around war. “Where the Corpses Sink Forever” is like a series of mini-operettas, and though not as complex as other bands, it is enjoyable.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:05 pm 

How is symphonic black metal shallow?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:47 pm 

Sokaris wrote:

THERE ARE NO VIOLINS IN A SCANDINAVIAN FOREST SO THEREFORE IT'S NOT KVLT ENOUGH.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:42 pm 

IMO its one of 2012 highlights, i liked it since the first listen. I loved how the symphonic sections were not pompous fillers to artistic voids ( kinda like trying to fix or enhance bad songs with classical music just like Dimmu Borgir later works) they were synergistically working with the the brutal/heavier side of Carach Angren to create the awesome dramatic/destructive atmosphere the album has.
The lyrics...well for me they are not cheesy at all. Storytelling mini-operettas about world war two but from a different point of view, not your typical bad ass soldier song, but a more human view on all that shit.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:58 am 

The symphonic arrangements are very good and sometimes not simple ones, so I dont see the "shallowness" of their music.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:09 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Sokaris wrote:

THERE ARE NO VIOLINS IN A SCANDINAVIAN FOREST SO THEREFORE IT'S NOT KVLT ENOUGH.

Isn't it possible to have a taste for austere, unpretentious black metal, with certain limits to as how saccharine it can be, without being a "kvlt kiddy"? I realise you were being facetious, but that's an attitude I come across annoyingly often.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:44 am 

Yes it is. But the word "shallow" sounds a little bit out of place. If you like a more simple/austere way to play bm, OK(I also like it), but using the word prententious only because you dont like the symphonic arrangements is the same as if we use the terms "kvlt" or "close minded" to define your opinion, a little bit unjust, isnt it?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:01 am 

I didn't really mean the word unpretentious in that way. I guess the word I had in mind doesn't really translate to English.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:44 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I didn't really mean the word unpretentious in that way. I guess the word I had in mind doesn't really translate to English.

Well I have a finnish-spanish dictionary so try it in your own language!.Olkaa hyvä. :D

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:10 am 

I guess no-frills would be a more accurate word. The Finnish word I had in mind is "konstailematon". Both my English dictionary and google translate it to "unpretentious", but it's not a word could be used to describe anything that isn't pretentious.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:56 am 

A friend of mine said something just like that, he likes black metal "sin adornos", meaning "without ornaments/decoration".

I like them, The Funerary is a great song indeed.

Reply to topic