Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:03 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
Anyone know any bands like Verdunkeln? Extra points if it sounds like their demo. So basically, raw black metal with subtle undertones of dark psychedelia (they have some cool clean chanted vocals, as well).

Malus? They're more epic and less weird than Verdunkeln, but there's plenty of psychedelic flirtations.

Though not German, this one has psychedelia, plenty of rawness and German song titles (and Nightgaunt's seal of approval, I think): Charnel Winds. Der Teufelsbund is the only one I've heard, but it's definitely what you requested.

Mors_Gloria wrote:
I'm sure that some people here know them (they were recommended quite a lot 3-4 years ago) but you have to listen to Bornholm if you don't know them already.

I've only heard March for Glory and Revenge, but that at least is anything but raw, and has little in the way of psychedelia. After I'm done with my Sodom listening quota, I think I'll check out the debut. I wasn't terribly impressed with the sophomore, but if you say the debut is better, it might be worth hearing.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:09 am 

STORMM wrote:
Z0MBIE wrote:
Does anybody know of any bands that play a slow, melancholic kind of black metal, but fast mid-tempo to fast vocals? Kinda like this live video of Nocturnal Depression? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTcFWZh9aCE

Hmm, maybe the excellent Sombres Forets might be something you will enjoy? -

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Be8cqOAuluE

Already now about Sombres Forets, and they're okay, but not quite what I'm looking for. Any other recs, anyone?
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Sinistrous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:10 pm 

bloodycumshit wrote:
what would be the best nocturnal depression album to buy?

I started with the demo tapes, but I felt that the material contained was a bit too meandering, hazy and not that effective in delivering the goods. Their subsequent albums improved their formula, tightening up the compositions and to me, their 2010 album, Cult of Negation, is their crowning moment. It is a bit shorter than the earlier efforts, so it doesn't overstay it's welcome as tends to happen in the prior albums. I'd start with that.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:26 pm 

Sinistrous wrote:
bloodycumshit wrote:
what would be the best nocturnal depression album to buy?

I started with the demo tapes, but I felt that the material contained was a bit too meandering, hazy and not that effective in delivering the goods. Their subsequent albums improved their formula, tightening up the compositions and to me, their 2010 album, Cult of Negation, is their crowning moment. It is a bit shorter than the earlier efforts, so it doesn't overstay it's welcome as tends to happen in the prior albums. I'd start with that.

ok,thanks

Mythics
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:42 pm 

This is going to be a long stretch, but does anyone know if the two Druden releases (http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Druden/3540344770) can still be found somewhere? Or how to contact the band?

Kind regards,

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:33 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Mors_Gloria wrote:
I'm sure that some people here know them (they were recommended quite a lot 3-4 years ago) but you have to listen to Bornholm if you don't know them already.

I've only heard March for Glory and Revenge, but that at least is anything but raw, and has little in the way of psychedelia. After I'm done with my Sodom listening quota, I think I'll check out the debut. I wasn't terribly impressed with the sophomore, but if you say the debut is better, it might be worth hearing.

I wasn't actually answering a request there. I was just recommending them to anyone interested :-D

http://www.metalfighters.com/

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:06 pm 

I would like to ask you guys if is there any band out there sounding like the extinct band Artefact on their album Ruins. I'm in love with their melodic brand of black metal. And melodic here has little or nothing to do with dimmu, cradle or any of the usual suspects. The band plays fast and even quite brutal at times, but always with a sense of melody. Songwriting is first rate, with songs on the longer side with progressive passages, lots of tempo changes, interludes, all suported by an incredible musicianship that can be at times quite technical. Production values are very good to, yet not plastic or soulless in anyway. The band somehow reminds me a bit of Emperor anthems era and also a bit of greek BM melody here and there. Anything like this?

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:03 am 

Hi all,
I am looking for some bands with a folkish vibe, good sense of melody and powerful clean vocals (harmonies a big plus) in some parts which provide such great dynamic contrast, like those found on the track "Ukraine" off Nokturnal Mortum's the Voice of Steel. Really loving the majestic folk vibe with those nostalgia inducing melodies!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ZzqWhvOVA ( Go to 4:15 )

Another example is the bonus track from Gallowbraids only release.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd-_oDGdfks ( Go to 6:20 )

Much appreciated.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:23 am 

therealvivs wrote:
I would like to ask you guys if is there any band out there sounding like the extinct band Artefact on their album Ruins. I'm in love with their melodic brand of black metal. And melodic here has little or nothing to do with dimmu, cradle or any of the usual suspects. The band plays fast and even quite brutal at times, but always with a sense of melody. Songwriting is first rate, with songs on the longer side with progressive passages, lots of tempo changes, interludes, all suported by an incredible musicianship that can be at times quite technical. Production values are very good to, yet not plastic or soulless in anyway. The band somehow reminds me a bit of Emperor anthems era and also a bit of greek BM melody here and there. Anything like this?

I have not heard that album in a while but must revisit it later and refresh my memory. Anyway at present going by your discription you might enjoy Aldaaron. I rec them alot and them seem to fit the bill alot of the time. Plenty of melodies and aggression though prob not as technical as Artefact. I will listen later and see if I can think of something closer to Artefact. Maybe even try Obtained Enslavement?

Last edited by STORMM on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:38 am 

Dooders wrote:
Hi all,
I am looking for some bands with a folkish vibe, good sense of melody and powerful clean vocals (harmonies a big plus) in some parts which provide such great dynamic contrast, like those found on the track "Ukraine" off Nokturnal Mortum's the Voice of Steel. Really loving the majestic folk vibe with those nostalgia inducing melodies!

Much appreciated.

Hey Dooders, as above I cant check your links at the minute but from memory and judging by your description you will most likely enjoy the latest album by Finsterforst. This is a big epic listen and they take a different path on this release and with the addition of a new vocalist there is some good use of cleaning singing. Hope this is along the lines of what you are after.

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:11 am 

I'm really into Abigail (Japan) but can't find any links to listen to/download, and most CDs are hard to find. Anyone got anything similar to them? Crusty, punk-influenced, hatred black/thrash.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:50 pm 

Dooders wrote:
Hi all,

Much appreciated.

Folkvang and Wodensthrone They did a split together which I haven't heard but both bands have great albums

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:36 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
I wasn't actually answering a request there. I was just recommending them to anyone interested :-D

I listened to the album, and it's easily better than the sophomore, but I still didn't find it particularly amazing. Even when the riffs are inventive and even riveting, the overall atmosphere remains dull and excessively stodgy. The synth is overly prominent for my taste; I don't dislike use of synth at all, but I prefer it to be an atmospheric effect rather than an emphatic element of the music.

It's not bad, and there are some great riffs, but it lacks something.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:43 pm 

therealvivs wrote:

Not sure how similar they are but 'Ruins' reminds me of an album(Ep rather) i just finished listening to: Children of Maani - The Veil of Osiris.
Its not quite as brutal though

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:23 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Mors_Gloria wrote:

I listened to the album, and it's easily better than the sophomore, but I still didn't find it particularly amazing. Even when the riffs are inventive and even riveting, the overall atmosphere remains dull and excessively stodgy. The synth is overly prominent for my taste; I don't dislike use of synth at all, but I prefer it to be an atmospheric effect rather than an emphatic element of the music.

It's not bad, and there are some great riffs, but it lacks something.

In general, I don't have a problem with synths (unless they are forced into the spotlight and the guitars are secondary) so I have no problem with how they use the synth. Personally, I like them a lot and I just wanted to recommend them to people.

Their demo (Awakening of the Ancient Ones) is also pretty good. "Just the Demons Fly" is a solid song and the covers of "Transylvania" and "Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi" are awesome.

Of course, that's just my personal opinion :)

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:52 am 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
In general, I don't have a problem with synths (unless they are forced into the spotlight and the guitars are secondary) so I have no problem with how they use the synth. Personally, I like them a lot and I just wanted to recommend them to people.

Their demo (Awakening of the Ancient Ones) is also pretty good. "Just the Demons Fly" is a solid song and the covers of "Transylvania" and "Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi" are awesome.

Of course, that's just my personal opinion :)

Quite similar to myself, I really enjoy good use of synths in my black metal when they are used tastefully, I found myself moving away from the blastbeat agressive bands like Dark Funeral etc over the years and delving into the more atmospheric type black metal bands who have alot of keyboards in most cases. In saying that I still love bands like later Sorcier Des Glaces, Negator (Old Black is fucking brilliant) etc who are playing straight up old school black metal. I discovered Bornholm a good few years ago through the Awakening demo, the Carl Orloff cover on it is one of my favourite metal versions of this track.

In saying that I think I get where Ilwhyan is coming from, I remember getting their March for Glory album and enjoying it quite alot at the time but for some reason it did not grab me as much as I wanted it to, not sure what it was as everything seemed in place but over time I have come to forget about it. I think I might have to blow the dust of the cd and revisit it this weekend. Will also have to check out the new album due out this month, they always had alot of potential.
While we are talking about Bornholm did you guys every check out their fellow countrymen Sear Bliss last album? Any of the reviews I read were not very impressive, I absolutely loved all their other albums but ended up avoiding this one altogether, prob did not want to ruin their impressive track record with me.

HHP
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:05 am 

Try this:

BOUQ:
http://www.bouq-band.com (<< you can listen to the band's entire latest album from the link (Bouq's Official Website))

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:25 am 

STORMM wrote:
While we are talking about Bornholm did you guys every check out their fellow countrymen Sear Bliss last album? Any of the reviews I read were not very impressive, I absolutely loved all their other albums but ended up avoiding this one altogether, prob did not want to ruin their impressive track record with me.

I haven't checked Sear Bliss' last album but I have listened to Sear Bliss, in general. I'm not sure if I have listened to a full release, though. I have mostly listened several tracks here and there.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:31 am 

It's definitely a band worth checking out. I also haven't heard the latest album, but according to a couple of sources I consider to have a good, critical taste in black metal the new album is sub-par.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:43 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
It's definitely a band worth checking out. I also haven't heard the latest album, but according to a couple of sources I consider to have a good, critical taste in black metal the new album is sub-par.

Agreed, def look into them Mors_Gloira, the earlier albums are excellent, as well as the excellent Kris V artwork. Think I will bypass the last album then! I was hoping with the return of alot of former members they would still retain their quality.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:52 pm 

Markov wrote:
I'm really into Abigail (Japan) but can't find any links to listen to/download, and most CDs are hard to find. Anyone got anything similar to them? Crusty, punk-influenced, hatred black/thrash.

Not so much on the crust but for thrashy, punk influenced, black metal I'd highly recommend Infernal Stronghold
http://infernalstronghold.bandcamp.com/

You might also dig Thy Darkened Shade
http://thydarkenedshade.bandcamp.com/releases
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:41 pm 

been listening to "Lustre" and "Paysage d'Hiver" lately and am liking them both.They seem to have a totally opposite sound though, in the way "Lustre" is super clean cut and "Paysage d'Hiver" is really raw.

Could anyone recommend similar bands ,and perhaps with a sound that's a cross between the straight rawness of "Paysage d'Hiver and the refined "lustre"?

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:01 am 

bloodycumshit wrote:
been listening to "Lustre" and "Paysage d'Hiver" lately and am liking them both.They seem to have a totally opposite sound though, in the way "Lustre" is super clean cut and "Paysage d'Hiver" is really raw.

Could anyone recommend similar bands ,and perhaps with a sound that's a cross between the straight rawness of "Paysage d'Hiver and the refined "lustre"?

This is screaming Evilfeast at me, one of the best ambient bands in the black metl genre imo. Raw and heteful.sounding black metal wrapped in beautiful synth work, though not as raw as PDH. Start with his Lost Horizons.... album.

If you want some straight up Lustre worship you should enjoy these guys -

http://basarabianhills.bandcamp.com/

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:18 pm 

STORMM wrote:
therealvivs wrote:

I have not heard that album in a while but must revisit it later and refresh my memory. Anyway at present going by your discription you might enjoy Aldaaron. I rec them alot and them seem to fit the bill alot of the time. Plenty of melodies and aggression though prob not as technical as Artefact. I will listen later and see if I can think of something closer to Artefact. Maybe even try Obtained Enslavement?

Thanks for the reply; I've heard a few songs and I kinda liked it. Like you said, it has lots of melodic guitar work but also balsy riffs and fast drumming while still maintaining a sense of atmosphere, and I'm looking for bands that can strike a balance between the two without sounding gay. I do agree Artefact are more technical and I still feel they have something special about them I can't quite put my finger on. I'll give Aldaaron a try. Now, debut or sophomore? About Obtained Enslavement... Man, I hear nothing but praise about them but to me the keyboards are a bit overpowering and the guitars sound somehow weak in comparison... I can only handle them in very small, limited doses.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:41 pm 

STORMM wrote:

This is screaming Evilfeast at me, one of the best ambient bands in the black metl genre imo. Raw and heteful.sounding black metal wrapped in beautiful synth work, though not as raw as PDH. Start with his Lost Horizons.... album.

Thanks,both of these bands sound pretty good,i actually think i might like the " A Breath Of The Wide Valley " vocals better than lutre's,got to love the band names font too :-P

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:39 am 

therealvivs wrote:
Thanks for the reply; I've heard a few songs and I kinda liked it. Like you said, it has lots of melodic guitar work but also balsy riffs and fast drumming while still maintaining a sense of atmosphere, and I'm looking for bands that can strike a balance between the two without sounding gay. I do agree Artefact are more technical and I still feel they have something special about them I can't quite put my finger on. I'll give Aldaaron a try. Now, debut or sophomore? About Obtained Enslavement... Man, I hear nothing but praise about them but to me the keyboards are a bit overpowering and the guitars sound somehow weak in comparison... I can only handle them in very small, limited doses.

Start with Aldaaron's debut album. As for Obtained Enslavement I know exactly where you are coming from as I don't rate them as highly myself in the genre.

Another band you might like are Italy's Legion of Darkness, their 'Meridies' album is a great record and might be something you enjoy, they have folk influences here and there but very little. You could also check out Arafel, I have not listened to them in a while but from memory they are more technical than the norm though don't quote me on that.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:41 am 

bloodycumshit wrote:
STORMM wrote:

Thanks,both of these bands sound pretty good,i actually think i might like the " A Breath Of The Wide Valley " vocals better than lutre's,got to love the band names font too :-P

No problem, Annorkoth have just released a new album and it might also be something you enjoy.

Darkwolf18
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:06 pm 

Looking for black metal with an eerie medieval-ish vibe similar to Profanum, Satyricon's first album, or L'Ordre du Temple. Doesn't have to be symphonic but I wouldn't mind it.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:21 pm 

Darkwolf18 wrote:
Looking for black metal with an eerie medieval-ish vibe similar to Profanum, Satyricon's first album, or L'Ordre du Temple. Doesn't have to be symphonic but I wouldn't mind it.

Check out Germany's Arathorn, the debut album might just be what you are looking for.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ar ... t_war/7723

Darkwolf18
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:27 pm 

STORMM wrote:
Darkwolf18 wrote:

Check out Germany's Arathorn, the debut album might just be what you are looking for.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ar ... t_war/7723

Holy shit this is great! Yeah, it's pretty close to what I had in mind. :D

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:05 am 

STORMM wrote:
therealvivs wrote:

Start with Aldaaron's debut album. As for Obtained Enslavement I know exactly where you are coming from as I don't rate them as highly myself in the genre.

Another band you might like are Italy's Legion of Darkness, their 'Meridies' album is a great record and might be something you enjoy, they have folk influences here and there but very little. You could also check out Arafel, I have not listened to them in a while but from memory they are more technical than the norm though don't quote me on that.

Man, I just checked out Arafel... Wow! Who are these guys and why haven't I heard of them before?

I've listened to their latest offering 2-3 times (still need to work on the rest of their discography) and I'm hooked!! Anyone into black/pagan/folk should check them out! Hell, any metalhead with a soft spot for epic, fast, well written melodic yet heavy tunes should at least give them a try!! Amazing guitar work, superb drumming, top notch song writing and playing ability, great production and way more technical (in a good way) and engaging than most bands this kind. My only complaint is that they could go for a darker vibe, but there's no denying the power of their truly epic compositions!

Thanks for this great rec!!

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:36 am 

therealvivs wrote:
Man, I just checked out Arafel... Wow! Who are these guys and why haven't I heard of them before?

I've listened to their latest offering 2-3 times (still need to work on the rest of their discography) and I'm hooked!! Anyone into black/pagan/folk should check them out! Hell, any metalhead with a soft spot for epic, fast, well written melodic yet heavy tunes should at least give them a try!! Amazing guitar work, superb drumming, top notch song writing and playing ability, great production and way more technical (in a good way) and engaging than most bands this kind. My only complaint is that they could go for a darker vibe, but there's no denying the power of their truly epic compositions!

Thanks for this great rec!!

You forgot to mention the excellent Kris Verwimp artwork :wink: No problem man, glad you enjoyed them also.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:58 pm 

Speaking of synth, anyone have bansd like Malus I might've overlooked? Their use of synth is quite brilliant. It's inconspicious enough not to bother me, but anything but invisible. Plus, the synthman has brilliant ear for melody. Other than that, melodic riffing style and at least some fast blast beats.

By melodic riffing, I don't necessarily mean Gorgoroth - Rebirth (I won't mind hearing something that melodic, as long as it's not too saccharine). Just that it follows common rules of tonality and sounds great.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:01 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Speaking of synth, anyone have bansd like Malus I might've overlooked? Their use of synth is quite brilliant. It's inconspicious enough not to bother me, but anything but invisible. Plus, the synthman has brilliant ear for melody. Other than that, melodic riffing style and at least some fast blast beats.

By melodic riffing, I don't necessarily mean Gorgoroth - Rebirth (I won't mind hearing something that melodic, as long as it's not too saccharine). Just that it follows common rules of tonality and sounds great.

Maybe Nehemah Ilwhyan? Good use of synths here and there but not overpowering, this track might be a bad example as it is one of their slower tracks but check them out anyway as they turn the speed on when they want to.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a7r1zH-QXRI

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:26 pm 

Not bad, STORMM. It's not very immersive music, but the atmosphere is quite good. Cheers!

That song reminds me a little of Rahu.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:14 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Not bad, STORMM. It's not very immersive music, but the atmosphere is quite good. Cheers!

That song reminds me a little of Rahu.

I will thank you in return man, Rahu sound interesting, I will investigate further. Check out Norman Shore's Ilwhyan, their debut came out just before Christmas and I think it is something you would also enjoy. I have been spinning the cd quite a lot recently and find it a solid effort, even lesser keyboards but a nice old school feel from the music.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KeCzPlsNOTE

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:18 pm 

Rahu is awesome, dude, definitely my 2nd favorite black metal album of the year (the first one being Mgla). Their album is only on vinyl so far though.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:24 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
(the first one being Mgla)

Can't argue with that Metantoine, I would say it slipped into my top ten also, fantastic release, dark and catchy at the same time. It seems to have topped a lot of people's lists In 2012. Groza was excellent to, this guy is heading in the right direction.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:26 pm 

Norman Shores seems like my kind of thing right off. I think I'll take a risk and order the album right now. :P

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:34 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Norman Shores seems like my kind of thing right off. I think I'll take a risk and order the album right now. :P

:thumbsup: thought you would enjoy that and to be honest €6 s a fair fucking price. I believe it is limited to 200 copies only! Check out the guys other bands like Angmar etc you would prob dig them to.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 231  Next