Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Svyatogor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:56 am 

Are you familiar with any headphones which are good enough for metal and don't require an amplifier for under 80$, by any chance? :-P

My headphones suck, my neighbours are angry and my pockets are empty :(

SwordofTheMetalBard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:50 am 

My fatality creative gaming headset actually sucks for metal. It's like I can't even hear stuff on the left side...or my ears are fucked.

I like my Ipod better because it isn't muffled.

*Sigh*

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:17 am 

In-ear headphones muffle out external noises so you can concentrate on your music, and are very comfortable to use. Some can be pretty cheap too, depending on which brand you get. A decent one should be enough for metal; mine only cost me around SGD $50.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

ThrashDeathDoom
Racist Dick

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:21 am 

I hate in--ears,they're so underpowered and tinny sounding to me.
YOUUUUUU

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:31 am 

I agree. My best experiences have been with over-the-ear headphones. They almost always sound more full to me, despite not being directly in my ear.
Hehe, foreskins.

Svyatogor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:30 pm 

Well I found out I can purchase Sennheiser HD205 or Philips SHP8500 in a local store here for a pretty good price, I'll obviously check more models but what's your opinion about these two, since google told me they are pretty decent (for the price, doh)?

I have in-ears but I'd really like a large set of headphones covering my ears and blowing awesome riffs into my head at home. :)

OldManMetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:06 pm 

The Sony MDR-V150 has been my headphone of choice for the past few years. Reasonably priced, comfortable enough for hours of use ,and able to handle the nuances of whatver sounds i listen to no matter how crazed.

Napero wrote:
We can't possibly know. Genetics is my guess, or possibly drinking water that lacks minerals essential to the brain.

Ghosty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:38 pm 

I have a pair of over the ear headphones: one Audio Technica ATHM40FS, and Sennheiser HD203.

Both are pretty good and I'm very satisfied with the quality I paid for. The Audio Technica's up there are the more expensive of the two (About 50-60$ on Amazon) but has what I feel to be slightly better sound quality, but being studio headphones, you need an adapter if you plan on using them on, say, an mp3 player or some other multimedia device.

Of course, don't discount the Sennheiser HD203 based on the above, although they are marketed as "cheap hi-end" equipment. They both feel and look cheaper than the Technica's, but the sound quality is quite impressive considering that these are 30$ headphones. This with their snugness and Sennheiser's two year warranty make them a prime candidate for listening for stuff on the go, even if its cord is ridiculously long.

Both provide fairly good insulation against outside sounds too. They may not on par with Bose's noise-cancelling technology, but they are much more affordable and practical. Having worn both while traveling via public transits and working in a room crowded with students who deliberately don't use their own headphones while working on their own music projects, I can safely say that both headphones have proven to be up to par on blocking out outside noise without resorting to me listening to my stuff at uncomfortable/ear-damaging volumes.

If you are squeamish to those in-ear buds and have been looking at the other kinds of headphones, I recommend the HD203's as a candidate for being a good alternative for starters. I've also heard good things about the Koss PortaPro, but I haven't tried them myself. Still, the majority consensus seems to be that the Sennheiser brand and Koss's aforementioned product make for great affordable headphones, and that Bose's are overrated.

Some Amazon links below, if your interested:

Audio Technica ATHM40FS Precision Studio Headphones (50$-60$)
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATHM40FS ... 658&sr=8-5
An Adapter that goes with them (if you're going to buying these, make sure you read the reviews to check which sellers are actually selling the product featured: I got jipped the first time :( )
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Stereo- ... pd_cp_MI_2

Sennheiser HD203 DJ-Style Closed Lightweight Headphones (30$-40$)
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD203- ... -1-catcorr

Koss PortaPro (30-40$)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new

~Hope this helps and that it wasn't too anecdotal or tldr!

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:41 pm 

Been pretty happy with my Sennheiser HD 555's for several years now.

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:42 pm 

Get a pair of Audio technica ath-m50s, they are a little over your price range (110$ on ebay with free shipping is what it cost me but I think they are 120$ there now) but its well worth it, these sound amazing for the price.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:26 pm 

Usually a bass amp connected to my PC via a cable, but when it comes to headphones, Anything in-ear does me fine.

~Guest 228477
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:26 pm 

Yep, Sennheiser HD555 is a good choice for metal. I own the HD598, which is basically an updated version of 595, which is the big brother of 555, so these phones are very similar. The 555 will no longer be produced, so there's a sale of it on amazon.com with 50% discount so now it's only 85$. I'd highly recommend getting that one for anyone, if they ship to your country. The HD555 can be modded pretty much into the HD595, so it's a really good price.

Also, Grado headphones are said to be one of the best for metal with the very clear and forward mids, I myself planning to buy one (probably the SR 225i), though they're a bit on the expensive side in Europe.

Note that the headphones I've mentioned are all open, so they're a wise choice for portable use.

deadweight2
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:05 am 

I have both Grado SR-60s, SR-80s, and SR-325s. I wouldn't bother with the SR-325s for this poster; they are way over the poster's budget limit, and they're not that much better than the SR-60s or SR-80s.

Grado SR-60s or SR-80s are a reasonable choice, if you don't mind the open headphone (others will be able to hear what you are listening to) and if you have ears of steel (for prolonged listening, they can be slightly uncomfortable; maybe not an issue for you).

My personal favorite choice are Etymotics ER-4Ps: in-ear headphones (also known as canalphones). They are absolutely amazing. I find them to be head and shoulders better sound quality than the Grado SR-325s. However, ER-4Ps run about $200-250. You could try the Etymotics ER-6s or lower-end Shure in-ear headphones; they're definitely not as good as the ER-4P, but might be the best bet if they're in your price range.

~Guest 228477
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:48 am 

deadweight2 wrote:
I have both Grado SR-60s, SR-80s, and SR-325s. I wouldn't bother with the SR-325s for this poster; they are way over the poster's budget limit, and they're not that much better than the SR-60s or SR-80s.

Grado SR-60s or SR-80s are a reasonable choice, if you don't mind the open headphone (others will be able to hear what you are listening to) and if you have ears of steel (for prolonged listening, they can be slightly uncomfortable; maybe not an issue for you).

My personal favorite choice are Etymotics ER-4Ps: in-ear headphones (also known as canalphones). They are absolutely amazing. I find them to be head and shoulders better sound quality than the Grado SR-325s. However, ER-4Ps run about $200-250. You could try the Etymotics ER-6s or lower-end Shure in-ear headphones; they're definitely not as good as the ER-4P, but might be the best bet if they're in your price range.

I have some doubts that an IEM could ever beat a same priced headphone. Maybe in details. But I'm sure with proper amping the headphone has better soundstage, separation and overall musicality.

todesengel89
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:25 am 

deadweight2 wrote:

i used to own er6s and i loved them. but i think most people wouldnt dig them especially if they are going for heavy bass, since er6s to me were extremely clear and were lacking in the bass - not complaining though, i loved clarity at the point in time, so this was the perfect piece for me.

been wanting to try grado sr60 for a long time, yet havent been able to get hold of a test set yet haha.
Heavy Metal Tribune #007 feat. Paradise Lost, Rogga Johansson, Riti Occulti, Antin Graham & Nepente!

Svyatogor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:12 pm 

Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it.
Eventually I'm limited by my budget, but I'll try to check out the less expensive models recommended here in the shops before I order them.
I want them to be comfortable. I'm not an audiophile obviously, so I won't notice the quality as much as I'll notice comfort and I'll probably go for closed non-portable headphones, but that's to be determined at the shop I guess :)

GorySpaceElephants
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:25 pm 

Ok go to target and get the 10 dollar in-ear ones that wrap around your ear. I've been getting those for years and they never let me down. Sound better than a more expensive set I obtained.

IanEr13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:30 pm 

bumping this thread because I'm also searching for a good pair.

wondering if anyone has tried the Noontec Zoros? They seem to be getting great reviews, and while they look like a "Beats" knockoff, they supposedly sound much better and are cheaper.

Here's a link to those: http://www.amazon.com/White-Professiona ... ontec+zoro

I'm also considering the Sennheiser px200 ii, Beyerdynamic DTX 501p, and AKG k450.

Are there any others in this price range ($75-$90) that are worth looking into?

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:50 pm 

the koss portapro is maybe the best portable headphone i ever had. It just has some ergonomic issues.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:13 pm 

PS3 Wireless Headset:
http://www.crazysales.com.au/sony-plays ... 1178812449

The bass is insane and because it's 5.1 surround sound, you can hear screams in the background to your music and drum solos go around your head in terms of sound with it.
Also wireless, so you can put on music and walk outside with the headset on and still hear your music.

It can also be used in PCs and Macs, I'd really recommend them.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:44 pm 

I have these http://bimg2.mlstatic.com/audifono-phil ... 052012.jpg

The cheapest you can find. Good bass sound, treble is OK, and I've used for almost a year and the sound quality hasn't changed at all.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:26 am 

I forgot the type name, but I have some SONY ones where I can here the bass on everything. It was the first time I heard bass on Reign In Blood, but the true test is whether or not I'll hear it on ...And Justice For all.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

~Guest 298739
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:42 pm 

Svyatogor wrote:
Are you familiar with any headphones which are good enough for metal and don't require an amplifier for under 80$, by any chance? :-P

My headphones suck, my neighbours are angry and my pockets are empty :(

This has got to be the best OP I have seen in this sub-forum.

~Guest 300273
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:16 am 

Logitech Ultimate Ears 6000. They can take batteries to allow for complete sound cancellation which sounds completely amazing. Metal sounds awesome, compared to others I've used, these are probably my favorite. Havent had any problems with these headphones yet. They were 200 bucks, but thats why Jesus invented the gift card.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:13 am 

Would buying a somewhat nicer set of headphones (Sennheisers for instance) be a complete waste of time if I'm plugging them into some generic Sony CD-changer?

Necronipple
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:08 pm 

The Polk headphones I have sound excellent for metal. They're way more than $80, but I got a great deal on an employee purchase.

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/ultrafocus8000

The Polk in-ears are awesome too, and more affordable.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:39 pm 

jonpo absolutely not. Better headphones always matter, i notice that even with my ipod when it plays mp3s.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:37 am 

Thanks tom! I may look into a pair then, some of the ones that have been linked are way more affordable than I expected.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:28 pm 

I have these ableplanet linx audio headphones which work quite well though I think I will upgrade to Bose headphones in the near future and use the Ableplanet's for everyday use. I wouldn't spend any money on headphones that aren't noise cancelling now. It really makes a huge difference when listening to music and trying to separate yourself from the outside world.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:20 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Thanks tom! I may look into a pair then, some of the ones that have been linked are way more affordable than I expected.

are very good but affordable headphone would be the koss portapro.
You get a lot of advancement SQ wise if you spend 20 or 40 bucks, the difference drops pretty fast with a higher budget.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:37 pm 

Motörheadphönes :grin:
just saw this now
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=184639

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:45 pm 

Koss Porta Pro would do the trick. They're affordable and have a good sound. I would buy a pair of Sennheiser but they are way to expensive for me right now.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:54 pm 

speaking of koss [which i really like!] i had some of these KSC-55's a while ago but they snapped in half
they don't make them any more but man did they sound good
not too comfy though, they were a like race horse: lean and mean but only good for a short blast
and they look cool too i reckon
they sounded good playing metal, classical, drum n bass, basically everything [and i think they were closed, unlike these sennheiser pmx 60s which everyone can hear]
i prefer neck phones because i wear sunnies all the time and a hat all summer too

Voorvader
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:13 pm 

I recommend Sennheiser

http://www.facebook.com/metalsanctuaryandpromos METAL SANCTUARY PROMOTIONS!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:21 am 

From what I've read, Grados are very good for metal/distorted music specifically. I have the Sennheiser 555s and they're sort of a jack-of-all-trades pair, can do most genres well without excelling at any one in particular. I've been satisfied with them for years, but someday I'd like to hear some Grados.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:37 pm 

Just save some money and get a nice pair of neutral headphones. A good pair of AKG-240s go for $99 at the right places and are comfortable enough even after long periods of listening unlike those cheaper pairs. I use them for music listening, but they are perfect for mixing, and sound design too. Perfect option imo.

~Guest 300273
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:48 pm 

orionmetalhead wrote:
I wouldn't spend any money on headphones that aren't noise cancelling now. It really makes a huge difference when listening to music and trying to separate yourself from the outside world.

I agree, got my first pair of noise cancelling headphones and they are amazing. I don't think I can go back to buying cheap headphones again.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:19 pm 

I don't know much about headphones, but it seems like these ought to do the trick: http://motorheadphones.com/en/.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:09 pm 

i dont find noise cancelling to provide better SQ though, they just isolate you

~Guest 300273
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:39 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
i dont find noise cancelling to provide better SQ though, they just isolate you

idk, I like the ones I have. I know i probably sound like a damn spokesman but theyre pretty good.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next