* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:09 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
Actually Ilwhyan, there's a video on YouTube where Dio says some seriously nasty shit about Vivian. You can look it up if you want to.

In the one I was originally referring to, Dio simply said that he hopes Campbell "fucking dies", and that he really is a piece of shit. Dio was angered that Campbell, whom Dio considered to have been "made somebody" by him, had called Dio something like the single most despicable person alive.

Ah, gotcha. Guess my memory is a bit faulty, as the last time I watched that clip was like two years ago :lol:

Still, agree completely with Ronnie. Vivian is an ungrateful jackass and deserves such a treatment.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:12 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Still, agree completely with Ronnie. Vivian is an ungrateful jackass and deserves such a treatment.

Really? This is one of those times where I'm gonna disagree with you based on my recollection.

RJD was an immensely talented and creative individual but his ego was inversely proportional to his physical size. He unfortunately had to work under two dictatorships (Blackmore's Rainbow and Iommi's Black Sabbath) early in his career and by the time he was done with that (wonder if he would have liked to be called an ungrateful jackass) he was full of resentment himself and picking fights left and right. The Dio band was his own dictatorship, his way of making sure everything would go exactly like he wanted.

I don't blame him, it's a free world and all that, but I wonder what kind of "loyalty" he was expecting when he was treating these guys like mere employees and, in pretty much all interviews I saw, kept all the credit for himself. It's one thing to ask a bunch of your peers to stick through thick and thin with you. To eat Ramen when times are tough and share in the success of a project that belongs to all. But how grateful should you be as a mere employee, exactly?

I've seen Dio in too many feuds back then, burning too many bridges to even believe for a second this was Vivian Campbell's fault. And I don't know how much more grateful Campbell should be for gracing the two first Dio records with some of the best lead work of the time for pocket change. Many of these solos are still considered all-times classics by many to this day and that should have been fucking grateful enough for Ronnie!

Guys who build dictatorships can shove the unreasonable "gratefulness" they expect up their asses!

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:28 pm 

Are you sure Riffs? In interviews, I've only seen Dio speaking dearly of the time he spent both in Rainbow and Sabbath, going so far as to say that working with Blackmore was an experience so good that he never matched it again in his lifetime. And regarding his solo band, he always seemed to get along well with the musicians that worked with him, giving credit where credit is due. Hell, Vivian has been, from what I've seen so far, the only person who worked with Ronnie in the past to badmouth the man as badly as he does.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:44 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Are you sure Riffs? In interviews, I've only seen Dio speaking dearly of the time he spent both in Rainbow and Sabbath, going so far as to say that working with Blackmore was an experience so good that he never matched it again in his lifetime. And regarding his solo band, he always seemed to get along well with the musicians that worked with him, giving credit where credit is due. Hell, Vivian has been, from what I've seen so far, the only person who worked with Ronnie in the past to badmouth the man as badly as he does.

You need to dig more interviews, my friend, definitely :-P

This stuff goes back to well before you were born (if your age listed here is correct). There was so much acrimony between Blackmore and Dio it's not even funny. I don't think they ever spoke again. As for Sabbath VS Dio, the numerous split ups are legendary and the flamings between them were big enough to melt all the mountains of ice Black Metallers are fond of :evil:

He did acknowledge their talent, however. But man, was he ever resentful!

In the mid to late 90s, a few years after the second split with Sabbath, I think Ronnie mellowed down a lot and finally accepted he would never achieve the kind of commercial and critical success some of his peers garnered. His talent was immense but the mainstream potential was limited. That was fine for his fans and eventually, it was fine by him. And once he accepted that, I think a lot of the feuding subsided and he just became comfortable in his role as an elder in metal.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:49 pm 

Mmmmm, yeah, guess I can't really have the insight of someone who was alive at the time. Like you say though, he indeed seems to have mellowed out exponentially. Hell, he, Iommi and Geezer seemed like pretty close friends by the time he died, and barely anyone speaks ill of him (again, probably has to do with him becoming a more humble character).

Thanks for the info, Riffs. I'll look out for some older Dio interviews.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:07 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:

Jimmy Bain has criticized Dio many times. The whole thing, from what I gathers, boils down to a verbal promise made to the original band that they would be made full partners (with all that entails) at some point and never were. The guys were paid salaries for tours and didn't receive any royalties. Campbell was fired after pushing the matter. After Jimmy Bain left the band again in the early 2000's (or whenever, I might have my dates wrong), he made a comment about not being interested in a situation where someone else made all the money. Bain has had his substance issues over the years and many Dio-defenders point to that as proof that Jimmy is a liar, but his compliants have echoed Campbell's, and as far as I know, Vivian was not known to have the same drug issues. There were also complaints that Dio was very rigid, creatively, and would only perform music that fit a certain formula. Even Ronnie's greatest friend from that line up, Vinny Appice, has admitted that this was true.

Utmu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:08 pm 

Ah, thanks for the validation on the HoP thing guys!

Regarding Scott Ian's personal relationship with Public Enemy, I would think that Ian and Chuck D wouldn't be so cool with each other. I don't know the specifics of what he's said, but I've read on Wikipedia that D has said some antisemitic things, or things that have been construed as such. I just find that interesting considering Scott Ian is Jewish and Public Enemy and Scott seems to have collaborated since the "Bring the Noise" song. (He's played live with them since then, I think).

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:30 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
There were also complaints that Dio was very rigid, creatively, and would only perform music that fit a certain formula. Even Ronnie's greatest friend from that line up, Vinny Appice, has admitted that this was true.

This much is very true, yes. In many an interview Dio stated what his vision of heavy metal was, and how he didn't like to stray too far away from it (although saying that all Dio albums are the same would be insane). And yes, he was very strict regarding his usual formula, but that's to be expected from such a traditionalist as Ronnie.

Itheus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:46 pm 

Utmu wrote:
Ah, thanks for the validation on the HoP thing guys!

Regarding Scott Ian's personal relationship with Public Enemy, I would think that Ian and Chuck D wouldn't be so cool with each other. I don't know the specifics of what he's said, but I've read on Wikipedia that D has said some antisemitic things, or things that have been construed as such. I just find that interesting considering Scott Ian is Jewish and Public Enemy and Scott seems to have collaborated since the "Bring the Noise" song. (He's played live with them since then, I think).

Professor Griff is the main culprit that made antisemitic comments. Shortly after making the comments he and Public Enemy parted ways.

I see Scott Ian and Chuck D communicate via Twitter...so I think they are more than fine with each other.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:20 am 

One thing for sure, Dio wasn't very happy that Sabbath did this reunion set with Ozzy at the end of the Dehumanizer tour in 1992, and furthermore having t open for Ozzy. Rightly so. So Sabbath got Rob Halford to perform on those two nights.

Dio wasn't very initially happy either with his collaboration in Roger Glover's Butterfly Ball. "Love is All" was a huge hit in 1974-1975; and in areas unexpected (an animated short was made of it) but was credited as a "Roger Glover" song. Yet in those times, artists recording under their own name were almost always singers, otherwise recordings would be under a band's name. So most people who weren't familiar with the rock scene thought the singer on that song was Roger Glover, not Ronnie Dio. Still, he got over it quickly and remained friends not just with Glover but also Gillan, who sang one of the Dio songs during the October 1975 Butterfly Ball concert.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:10 am 

From what I've heard, Vivian confronted Ronnie and demanded an equal share to what Ronnie was making, to which Ronnie said no and fired him. Every member from the band at that time holds or held some animosity towards him for his unwillingness to pay more equal shares. I can see both side's points on this issue.

Ronnie supposedly (as in, according to Ronnie) left Rainbow because Blackmore wanted to make a rock single about cheating.

He got fired from Sabbath for allegedly sneaking into the studio and raising the volume on his vocals on the recordings he had done (I think this was for "Live Evil").

As someone already said, he quit the second time in Sabbath because he didn't want to open for Ozzy.

Even the best of us make mistakes and do stupid/shitty things, it's not surprising that Ronnie did some questionable things over his lifetime.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:28 am 

Has anyone seen these before? Especially about halfway through the second one until about 8:00 or so into the third when he talks honestly about how he feels about each of the albums he performed on.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:58 pm 

I watched this interview last year. It's a very interesting one.

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:11 pm 

I read an interview with RJD in which he said that Blackmore was trying to turn Deep Purple into a pop-rock band and he was having none of it. There's so many different reasons give for his leaving Rainbow I don't really know who/what to believe regarding that whole thing.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:23 pm 

Kigo7 wrote:
I read an interview with RJD in which he said that Blackmore was trying to turn Deep Purple into a pop-rock band and he was having none of it. There's so many different reasons give for his leaving Rainbow I don't really know who/what to believe regarding that whole thing.

I think it mostly boils down to Ritchie Blackmore being a Malmsteen-level egomaniac and general douchebag.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:36 pm 

Kigo7 wrote:

That's pretty much the only version I ever really heard about Dio splitting from Rainbow. Blackmore wanted a more pop-rock band and Dio wanted to go darker. Blackmore was constantly replacing members in Rainbow so it was only a matter of time before Dio got the boot. I guess Ronnie didn't get paid on his Rainbow material for years (this was mentioned in a Decibel article on Heaven and Hell) which led to some lingering bitterness.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:27 pm 

novakm wrote:
Has anyone seen these before? Especially about halfway through the second one until about 8:00 or so into the third when he talks honestly about how he feels about each of the albums he performed on.

I've seen this and found it to be a very interesting interview. It does seem to air out some dirty laundry but I honestly love to hear interviews like this, if only to hear an artist to give an honest evaluation of the various albums that they've performed on. I wish more artists could go over their careers like this and I'd love to know if his opinions changed before he died.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:25 pm 

Kigo7 wrote:
I read an interview with RJD in which he said that Blackmore was trying to turn Deep Purple into a pop-rock band and he was having none of it.
You probably meant Rainbow, not Deep Purple.

Also, I remember reading (but can't find it, otherwise I would post exact words) Dio commenting on post-Mob Rules/pre-Dehumanizer Sabbath saying that at times, Sabbath was sounding more like Purple than Sabbath. Not sure if he was alluding to the Gillan, or Hughes album(s), or/and to the Tony Martin albums. One thing for sure, Iommi was the greatest fan of Purple/Rainbow vocalists there ever was. He tried to get Coverdale, he got Dio, he got Gillan and Hughes.

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:00 pm 

I am just blown away to hear Dio mention listening to Napalm Death in that interview :lol:

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:15 am 

Yeah, but he says "members of this band listen to anything from.. Tool, Napalm Death..". It could be him or someone else from his band at the time

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:34 am 

@kalervon: I think Dio was alluding to Iommi getting/headhunting Gillan and Hughes for Deep Purple. Born Again and Seventh Star sort of sounded like Purple.

Ritchie Blackmore doesn't really have that good a reputation in rock/metal circles, I remember reading an interview in which Ian Gillan was trashing Blackmore for monopolising creative control in Purple to the point where Paice, Gillan, Glover and Lord had to be in the same room as him to actually record/do anything.

ThrashAD720
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:59 pm 

Harley Flanagan had a fight with current Members of Cro-Mags that lead to some of the members being stabbed.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... w-20120707

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:22 pm 

And he was acquitted of all charges IIRC.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:59 pm 

About Blackmore/Gillan; this clip always cracks me up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukI0fenuRYU

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:24 am 

A_Dreamer_In_The_Theater wrote:
Mike and James did come to blows. Mike wasn't shy about letting people know how he didn't want James to stay in the band. He didn't hold back at all. The period around "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence" and "Train Of Thought" was the hardest. James' voice was suffering on stage and Mike had had enough. He was the one in charge of set lists and speaking to the press and the concepts and what not. He really took on a lot, but he also chose to give his heart and soul to the band so I personally couldn't understand when he claimed "burnout".
Quote:
Jordan Rudess: “Mike does it to himself. He’s such a madman. He wants to play these long sets and then it’s so tiring. I actually heard a hint the other day that maybe we would shorten things a little bit and I was like ‘Thank you!’ This man is finally coming to reason. I’ve always been of the thinking that it’s too much for the audience as well – or maybe I’m just getting old. I don’t know. I know there are fans out there that want more and more songs, but when you’re presenting music at that kind of intensity and volume, I think it gets to be too much after a couple of hours.”

At the time that he left the band he was fed up with the guys and they were fed up with him. Relations with James had become better a long time ago but Mike said the general feelings around the band weren't of a positive nature. the camaraderie was lost. When he toured with Avenged Sevenfold, he would eat with the guys while in Dream Theater things were strained and everyone was complaining.

This live performance of "The Silent Man" started with a teaser.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwoIfWbIZQs
James LaBrie: "This song we're about to do here is off the Awake album. It's about a loud and obnoxious man".

To which John Petrucci plays the intro riff to "The Mirror", a song that was penned by Portnoy and they both laugh.

James: "...anyway, this is "The Silent Man"!"

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:39 pm 

Back in the day, I used to enjoy Nagash/Lex Icon's (The Kovenant, ex-Dimmu) ramblings about Sarah Jezebel Deeva, who he thought was a poor professional, a crappy singer and someone who lacked responsibility. How angsty it all was.

In more recent times, I nearly died laughing when I read Famine's (Peste Noire) comments about Neige in that 2009 interview, although he was lashing out against the latter's fan(boy)s rather than the musician himself.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:34 pm 

Sarah Jezebel Deva is almost every negative stereotype about women personified. As is Kimberly Goss.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:17 am 

novakm wrote:
Sarah Jezebel Deva is almost every negative stereotype about women personified. As is Kimberly Goss.

Maria Brink is far, far worse.

Rild
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:51 am 

You wanna go for a ride, neighbour?

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:03 am 

What are you guys on about?

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:28 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
The most funny stuff is that Testament is like 100x better than them nowadays and instead whining and getting softer over time, they reinvented themselves enough to keep their sound but also getting stronger.

Yup. And today Mustaine is the laughing stock of, well, everybody with a brain.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Morkner
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:10 am 

Hey lets talk about Dethklok splitting up at the end of fourth season!

that was sad, right?

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:11 pm 

No one commented this, so:
Schaus2 wrote:
Gaahl and King ov Hell fueding over the namesake to Gorgoroth is no secret.

You mean Gaahl and King ov Hell vs. Infernus?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:21 pm 

That's probably what he meant, he just worded it poorly.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

bocohrt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:50 am 

Frank Booth wrote:
novakm wrote:

care to dish the dirt?

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:31 am 

bocohrt wrote:
Frank Booth wrote:

care to dish the dirt?

I've been told that she's a total bitch by people who've worked the Mayhem Festival and have dealt with her, but I was speaking more in terms of her being little more than a mascot there for the purpose of selling a really shitty band.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:35 am 

I'm sorry, but which band is Maria Brink from?

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:40 am 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:

In This Moment

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/ ... 00-396.jpg

I have a friend who loves this band and cites her as the primary reason. I just gave him a glazed look because I felt the opposite on everything.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:43 am 

That Brink gal seems to be more of a prop than an actual singer, judging by my first impression.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:49 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
MrMcThrasher II wrote:

In This Moment

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/ ... 00-396.jpg

I have a friend who loves this band and cites her as the primary reason. I just gave him a glazed look because I felt the opposite on everything.

Something off about her. Could be just the photo of course, but she seems...fake.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next