Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 298739
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:29 pm 

Just wondering if anyone has ever been to a drone metal or ambient black, doom or otherwise, show and what it was like. All I can imagine is lots of talking (depending on the venue) and everything being pretty much a waste of time. However, I've heard in the very beginning, at least at drone metal gigs, the first note goes through you like the Kamehameha technique, but I can only imagine that only lasting for so long before it finally ceases to stimulate your brain and you become bored.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:33 pm 

I've been to noise shows and I'm assuming its the same thing. It's loud and intense and depending on the artist can either captivate the crowd or be totally ignored. I would love to see Sunn O))) live.

Mimogrede
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:39 pm 

I've been to a Sigur Ros concert and they are quite atmospheric, but it was a really awesome show and it seemed like the whole audiance was in some kind of trance. It's totaly different from a average metal show, but not less good or interesting, if you like the artist that's on stage offcourse.

kapala
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:03 pm 

I've been to a lot of "ambient" and other noise-related gigs, and it honestly depends on the artist. I've seen noise acts I really enjoy absolutely suck live, and I've seen ambient acts I've never heard of blow me away.

lemmuhr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:05 pm 

I saw Sunn this past September. It was really something else.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:28 pm 

My girlfriend saw Sunn O))) recently. She and I are not fans of the music, but she told me the show was really worth seeing, really unnerving. I probably would have dug it.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:14 pm 

Nhor wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has ever been to a drone metal or ambient black, doom or otherwise, show and what it was like. All I can imagine is lots of talking (depending on the venue) and everything being pretty much a waste of time. However, I've heard in the very beginning, at least at drone metal gigs, the first note goes through you like the Kamehameha technique, but I can only imagine that only lasting for so long before it finally ceases to stimulate your brain and you become bored.

I have been in quite some shows and, despite some REALLY shitty Doom festival I saw some years ago, ALL of them have been worth. Although Earth was surprisingly boring (even if it was an interesting experience).
Don't know. It depends on the band and the listener.

Krav
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:09 pm 

It depends on the band and how they're playing that night. I saw Earth about a month ago and they were fantastic. They sucked me in the whole time and the amount of talking seemed less than normal. It will probably be loud so it's not like you'd hear much excessive talking anyways. It's a rare experience where you can go completely into the music up close in a live setting and not have to worry about overly drunk assholes dragging you into a pit.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:19 pm 

I went and saw Sunn0))) when they played in Australia several years ago. Ridiculously, overwhelmingly loud, to the point of inducing nausea and a sense of anxiety in me. A highly memorable experience. Also saw Robert Rich at Rainbow Serpent Festival a few years back which was fantastic. I would really like to see Lustmord if he ever comes out here...

katatonia47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:27 pm 

I'm seeing a Swans gig next month, I don't know whether I'd compare them to Sunn O))) but from what I've heard they're incredible live.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:59 pm 

Acidgobblin wrote:
I went and saw Sunn0))) when they played in Australia several years ago. Ridiculously, overwhelmingly loud, to the point of inducing nausea and a sense of anxiety in me. A highly memorable experience. Also saw Robert Rich at Rainbow Serpent Festival a few years back which was fantastic. I would really like to see Lustmord if he ever comes out here...

Well you're in luck - Lustmord is playing the Adelaide festival and a gig in Melbourne in 2013.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:11 am 

Almost exclusively. Go see it with friends, zone out, have a few drinks, just chill. If it's true ambient, lay back and relax. It's its metallic, then just appreciate the sonic depths. Yeah, there's gonna be a lot of talking, but you'll find that most serious fans will get really, really, into it.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:06 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:

Well you're in luck - Lustmord is playing the Adelaide festival and a gig in Melbourne in 2013.

Hey, well thats great news! Gonna look into this, thanks for the heads up :)

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:38 am 

I went to a Sunn O))) show to see Boris who were opening for them, Boris played songs throughout their different styles and were great.

We left about 10 minutes into Sunn O)))'s set as they played about 3 chords and flashed some lasers around in that time and was boring as fuck.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:04 am 

Saw Sunn O))) in '10, it was amazing and really fucking loud.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:53 pm 

My band played a show with Melankolia. Nothing against the guy or his work, but it was hard to get into in the live setting. Maybe if he played with other ambient acts, rather than 3 black metal bands, more people would've been into it. He was super nice though.

That's the only ambient thing I have ever seen live.

Bruitiste
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:58 pm 

I've seen SunnO))) live at an "avant-garde" music festival and it was great and everyone seemed to pay attention -- if people were chatting, you couldn't hear them! Keiji Haino opened and also joined them, phenomenal show.

sabbathfan4993
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:32 pm 

I saw this drone band open for Agalloch over the summer. Their name escapes me though. They were alright, I got bored after 15 minutes though and decided to go get some pre-Agalloch white castle. If I had the chance to see Sunn O))) or Earth I think I would have to take up that opportunity.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:49 pm 

From my own experience, it's the other way around. The more atmospheric the band performing is, the less people are inclined to talk much. Most doom metal shows i've been to have been some of the best.

Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:04 pm 

not Drone, but saw Negura Bunget last year and alot of their songs are quite atmospheric...The crowd in general was just there listening to the music with not alot of talking

i.e., http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyxd_afH48U

my last.fm

AmberSilkAmbiguity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:27 pm 

Tron_79 wrote:
not Drone, but saw Negura Bunget last year and alot of their songs are quite atmospheric...The crowd in general was just there listening to the music with not alot of talking

i.e., http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyxd_afH48U

Excellent show. I was also present.

-Benedict de Spinoza

Reply to topic