Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
somberlain93
I'm not sexist, I have binders full of women friends!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:44 pm 

Maybe I'm weird, just want to hear from some others.........

Does it ever make a difference to you where a band is from? Like maybe you'd like/dislike them if they were from a different country/state/city? I always had a problem with Australian bands. Don't know why. Just something about knowing that's where they're from bugs me. Or if a band is from Singapore or some other place that I have no interest in, then I just don't care. In most cases, I think the bands suck anyway, but sometimes part of me thinks that if they were from Germany instead, for example, I'd think differently of them. Just like if Darkthrone were from South Africa, I'd probably think "wtf do these people know about grim, cold things?" or whatever. Same goes for if I'm listening to some American death metal and if the band is from some southern redneck place, I can't take it seriously but if it's from New York or Chicago there's a difference. Like when I first heard Absu and found out they were from Texas, it killed it for me, especially considering their lyrical themes. When I found out Loss was from Tennessee, that died for me. What do hillbillies know for funeral doom? Harsh statements, I admit, but just sharing the thoughts that cross my mind. Not intended to offend anyone, but using these to illustrate my point.

Randomness, I know. Anyone get or share the feeling?

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:49 pm 

Like many other things, I find nationality to be unimportant. If you can make good music, then I can't bring myself to give a negative shit about where you're from.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:49 pm 

No?

Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:56 pm 

If it's death metal from Finland chances are that I'm gonna like it.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:03 pm 

I don't think it does so long as a band has the will to record their respective albums, the guys from Sarcofago and Brasil had little in the way of experience and funds and they managed to get by.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Fulano
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:04 pm 

No. Music is what matters.

(Same opinion on "How important is the year of release?" too).

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:16 pm 

Well, it doesn't matter in my opinion of the music, but it does matter in other ways. I love knowing I'm listening to music made from a less 'popular' country in South America or Oceania somewhere, and I especially love knowing when it's from my own country. It's like a little added bonus. It never acts towards the music's detriment, though... your examples were a little dumb. When I think of Chicago and New York I think of skyscrapers, long island, money and celebrities, not death metal. Besides, you'll notice that most bands from HOT countries don't write that much about being grim and frostbitten at all.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:30 pm 

somberlain93 wrote:
Maybe I'm weird, just want to hear from some others.........
Does it ever make a difference to you where a band is from? Like maybe you'd like/dislike them if they were from a different country/state/city? I always had a problem with Australian bands. Don't know why. Just something about knowing that's where they're from bugs me. Or if a band is from Singapore or some other place that I have no interest in, then I just don't care. In most cases, I think the bands suck anyway, but sometimes part of me thinks that if they were from Germany instead, for example, I'd think differently of them. Just like if Darkthrone were from South Africa, I'd probably think "wtf do these people know about grim, cold things?" or whatever. Same goes for if I'm listening to some American death metal and if the band is from some southern redneck place, I can't take it seriously but if it's from New York or Chicago there's a difference. Like when I first heard Absu and found out they were from Texas, it killed it for me, especially considering their lyrical themes. When I found out Loss was from Tennessee, that died for me. What do hillbillies know for funeral doom? Harsh statements, I admit, but just sharing the thoughts that cross my mind. Not intended to offend anyone, but using these to illustrate my point.
Randomness, I know. Anyone get or share the feeling?

I think it does when the music is sufficiently NON generic and is influenced by local folklore.

Fulano wrote:
(Same opinion on "How important is the year of release?" too).

P.S: No offense but is it just me who thinks you're opening quite generic and non meaningful topics?

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:42 pm 

I "get the feeling" that this is a totally retarded and illogical mindset based mostly in your own preconcieved notions about nationalities you admit knowing nothing about but simply dislike because "they're different".

You wouldn't be a teenage Nationalist by any chance? I'm just wondering, because you've got that perfect mix of adolescent cluelessness and inexplicable dislike for different cultures you obviously haven't ever studied.

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:47 pm 

Humans are humans, and humans make music; some better than others. That's good enough for me.
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:50 pm 

This topic is backwards and a bit weird.

Origins matter to the band itself as far as context.

It doesn't matter to the listener because your best way to understand what a band is about is to listen to the music.

Of course, regional scenes can have an impact on the bands' path but why even pay attention when it takes a few seconds to press play and listen for yourself?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:51 pm 

No. If you bias yourself towards a particular geography, then you're being a stubborn closed minded person. And for the record, there is no one geography which churns out the same brand/genre of music, there's always variety. Albeit there may be a majority of artists leaning towards one genre, but you'll still find variety.

Braltika
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:53 pm 

I generally do not care about it, however I cannot avoid raising an eyebrow when I hear viking metal from the States for example. It's just... weird.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:56 pm 

^
Wotanorden, Oakhelm, Swordbearer, Aurora Borealis, Sig Ar Tyr (the latter two coming from Canada)
All are good.

Braltika
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:04 pm 

It's not so much the quality of the music I question, but their choice of theme.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:10 pm 

Braltika wrote:
It's not so much the quality of the music I question, but their choice of theme.

There is a valid point to this. It seems a little weird for a band to be writing songs about being True Norsk Sons of Odin when they've got no Nordic blood in them at all.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:11 pm 

Braltika wrote:
I generally do not care about it, however I cannot avoid raising an eyebrow when I hear viking metal from the States for example. It's just... weird.

There's a lot of Scandinavian descendants in the States and in Canada, it's not like it was from Brazil or something.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:11 pm 

Wow what a retarded way to think about music. 'Oh these guys made a great album but now that I know they are from an area I have have low regard for...so now I hate it'

It doesn't matter to me where a band is from and I usually don't care to find out unless I'm attempting to find something that's harder to get and then I'm like... oh it's from so-n-so no wonder no one is carrying it. Or when I hear some stuff and I find out where they are from I'm like 'oh so that makes since for some of their stylistic characteristics on this particular album.' I enjoy music from wherever and however, if it's good... it's good. Thinking your way is closeminded.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:18 pm 

Uh, Loss are hillbilies because they're from Tennessee? Good argument right there, I think the problem is you.

This thread is going nowhere fast.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.