* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:57 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
Are there any fellow NBA fans here? :)

Yep. I haven't been caught up in the last week ever since my dad switched us to Comcast and I can't find any of the channels. :grumble:

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:11 pm 

This has been one of the most pathetic NFL playoff weekends that I can remember.

The Bengals offense managed only 198 net yards, as their defense scored more points than the offense. And still the Texans barely came away with the win.

The Vikings looked god awful for most of the game. I'll give credit to the Packers for actually finding a way to contain Peterson, but the Vikings couldn't even begin to get a pass game going.

The Colts looked the best out of the losing teams, but they fell short whenever they needed to come up with something, therefore being unable to come up with the win.

The Redskins looked like complete shit after the first quarter and the decision to not put Cousins in earlier still baffles me, because RG3 could barely even jog onto the field. Their defense did alright but failed to cover any players coming out of the backfield, resulting in huge gains in yards.

To be honest, the only teams that impressed me were the Packers and the Ravens. And still, neither did anything spectacular that you usually see from at least one team at this point in the season. The only player to really impress me was Anquan Boldin who made several difficult catches to set the Ravens up to score.

I'm hoping that next weekend will be better with the arrival of the higher seeds.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:40 pm 

Can't disagree with any of that. In the fourth quarter my dad and I looked at each other and collectively asked "Why haven't they just put Cousins in yet? RGIII is obviously hurt and they desperately need a momentum shift." Two plays later his knee explodes. PUT ME IN COACH, I'M READY.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:52 pm 

oogboog wrote:
Mors_Gloria wrote:

Yep. I haven't been caught up in the last week ever since my dad switched us to Comcast and I can't find any of the channels. :grumble:

Ow, I see. Which team do you support?

http://www.metalfighters.com/

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:09 am 

No one in particular, I just find the sport engaging to watch. :)

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:57 am 

I'm a Suns fan and as such have no interest in this season, and probably the next two at the very least. If they ever get serious about rebuilding I might start paying attention again.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:25 pm 

NHL IS BACK. A half season is better than no season.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:53 pm 

Dammit, I was enjoying SportsCenter a lot more without lame hockey on there. And NASCAR will be back too, all well less ESPN means more productivity I suppose.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:35 pm 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
Dammit, I was enjoying SportsCenter a lot more without lame hockey on there. And NASCAR will be back too, all well less ESPN means more productivity I suppose.

ESPN goes out of their way to not show hockey anyway. Last year during the first round of the playoffs, their coverage was like 80% regular season baseball or something preposterous. I'll have to find the stats, but that first week they had like a combined fifteen minutes talking about hockey. Here's something, and there's a link to the series that catalogs SC's coverage within. Basically, can it.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:38 pm 

Even though I am not a fan of hockey, I can definitely agree that sportscenter seems to put the NHL on the back burner. And when they do cover games they always have that same guy (I can't remember his name) talk about it as if he is the only one who knows what is going on.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:58 pm 

My sport channel RDS (French version of TSN) is very happy that the NHL is back, they were showing old Nordiques playoffs game, damnit!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:10 pm 

My family switched from Comcast to DirecTV as a money saving measure (it only saved money for three months, but whatevs), so I just now thought of two things.

1) Most Blackhawks games are on Comcast Sportsnet. If that turns out to be a Comcast exclusive channel I'll be pretty pissed, I can't have my Hawks games without Pat Foley and Eddie Olczyk (Gaunt and Eddie-O as I so affectionately call them)

2) I don't have NHL Network anymore, which is a bummer.

norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm 

Superbowl Predictions anyone?
I am thinking Ravens vs. 49ers which I think would be interesting because the head coaches are brothers.
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:06 pm 

I think the packers will play the broncos/patriots.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:36 pm 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
I'm a Suns fan and as such have no interest in this season, and probably the next two at the very least. If they ever get serious about rebuilding I might start paying attention again.

Well, given that the Lakers are currently imploding and you're getting their pick if they remain in the lottery, there is something that could keep your interest ;)

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:54 am 

SB prediction would be Packers vs Patriots, with Brady getting his fourth ring. I don't think the 49ers have the defense to go all the way; maybe earlier in the year it was excellent, but their defense has been horrid the last few weeks. They look like boys playing a man's game. Ravens don't really have enough offense, and while Denver will make it interesting, I still think Brady &co will take care of them. And God help us anyone but the Seahawks please.

Speaking of defense, Notre Dame's really packed it in before kickoff tonight. Did they even practice AT ALL during the last month for this game tonight? Doesnt look like it. Never, ever have I seen a college team so utterly unprepared for a bowl game. "Mushmouth" is probably babbling incoherently on ESPN right now, wait; he always does that anyway.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:03 am 

NHL

So, a 48 games season based on what Daly says, it will start in around 2 weeks, can't wait! the eastern conference teams won't play with the western teams during this shorter season though, it doesn't bother me greatly but I just hope not we won't play the teams in our divisions like 4 or 6 times 'cause playing against Buffalo or Toronto this frequently sucks!

Also, I think the 82 games seasons should be shortened to 60 games or so, it's simply too much. The game is faster than it used to be and I believe almost everyone would win something with this format (better show, the players are gonna be healthier but yeah, the teams are gonna make less money...) I'd like some thoughts on this (orion, Zodi, Bastard, Dragunov...)

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:28 am 

Shortening the season will upset the fans and owners a ton, whereas lenghtening it will piss off the players a ton. I wrote a whole thing about this and the realignment over a year ago, you can read it here if you'd like, it's based on a Mortal Kombat metaphor.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:38 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Speaking of defense, Notre Dame's really packed it in before kickoff tonight. Did they even practice AT ALL during the last month for this game tonight? Doesnt look like it. Never, ever have I seen a college team so utterly unprepared for a bowl game. "Mushmouth" is probably babbling incoherently on ESPN right now, wait; he always does that anyway.

Notre Dame has such an easy schedule every year. I don't think they ever had a chance. The SEC is such a tough conference, that whichever team wins the SEC Championship game is generally the best in college football.

norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:19 pm 

Yay other people like hockey <3
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:44 pm 

BH, I just read that blog post of yours, and I do like the idea of more inter-conference play and playing within the division a little less. I also like the idea of moving around Winnipeg, Nashville, and possibly Detroit. To add, I also think the NHL postseason could stand to be a little shorter. Maybe make the quarterfinals and semifinals a best-of-5, and the conference and Stanley Cup finals a best-of-7. Could that work?

As for NFL playoff predictions, I'm a bit late, but I'll offer the same prediction I make every year: GO PATS! No but seriously, if we make it to the big game, we may actually win it this year since the Giants are absent. :lol:

In all honesty, I think Denver is the team to beat in the AFC and would absolutely love to see another Brady/Manning championship game. In the NFC, I have a nagging suspicion that Seattle is going to tell everybody to fuck off and make it to the Super Bowl, and they're going to beat Green Bay to get there. So, as much as I hate to say it, I say Manning and the Broncos will beat my Pats. Seattle somehow finds a way to beat Green Bay late in the fourth quarter. Then for the big game, Peyton leads the Broncos to a convincing victory.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:45 am 

Right now I'm feeling Seattle and Green Bay winning in the NFC, and Denver and New England winning in the AFC. Basically the same shit everybody is saying. My Super Bowl matchup right now is Green Bay V New England. I agree that Denver is the team to beat but when it comes to the playoffs, Brady just turns into a fucking monster, and I find it really hard to ever bet against him.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:51 pm 

Weird that Brian Burke got fired today, just before the start of the season. I mean, I don't disagree with the decision, but the timing is very weird...

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:08 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Also, I think the 82 games seasons should be shortened to 60 games or so, it's simply too much. The game is faster than it used to be and I believe almost everyone would win something with this format (better show, the players are gonna be healthier but yeah, the teams are gonna make less money...) I'd like some thoughts on this (orion, Zodi, Bastard, Dragunov...)

I don't think that would be beneficial to anyone. The ticket prices will go up after two or three years when owners try to equalize their profits to previous years and there will be less money available for the players to claim, especially now that they've lost 7% of the HRR. It would piss off fans two-fold: Higher ticket prices and less games to watch. I would actually like to see if the gain in profits by the league reduces some of the ticket prices this year slightly.

Health isn't really an issue. The injuries that occur during the season would occur anyway and to spread the number of games out means players will spend a lot more time conditioning and training which may actually reduce the intensity of games later in the season and then the playoff intensity may actually create more injuries to players that have been playing on a slower pace the last two weeks of the season. I agree with those that have supported a shortened playoff season, especially now with more teams possibly being added to the playoffs. I think a first round best-of-5 would be a great modification. I would leave the semi-finals, conference championship and finals at a best of 7.

Metantoine wrote:
Weird that Brian Burke got fired today, just before the start of the season. I mean, I don't disagree with the decision, but the timing is very weird...

I disagree with the decision. He's only been there three years - definitely not enough time to properly change the teams makeup. They have some excellent players too -Kessel, Phaenuf(or however you spell it). Their problem has always been on the back-end. Inconsistent goaltending and mediocre defense. The team doesn't really excel in any one area.

Last edited by orionmetalhead on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:12 pm 

orionmetalhead wrote:
especially now with more teams possibly being added to the playoffs

[citation needed]

Seriously this would make precisely zero sense, more than half the teams in the league make the playoffs already, I would seriously love to hear the reasoning behind such a proposal by whoever proposed it if true.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:15 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
orionmetalhead wrote:
especially now with more teams possibly being added to the playoffs

[citation needed]

Seriously this would make precisely zero sense, more than half the teams in the league make the playoffs already, I would seriously love to hear the reasoning behind such a proposal by whoever proposed it if true.

Yeah, I think its dumb as hell also but here is the story which was met with a lot of animosity afterwards across the net: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-expand-stanley-cup-playoffs-four-teams-060105436--nhl.html

This has been already shot down though apparently.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:33 pm 

Burke gave like everything for Kessel and gave billions for fuckin' Komisarek, he's been a very bad GM.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:39 pm 

Yeah. Kessel is great and all (and he's one of the reasons my fantasy team was so unstoppable two years ago) but giving up what turned out to be Seguin to a team that was already great? Yeah, I'm sure Boston fans are also huge Leafs fans at this point as well.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:57 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure Boston fans are also huge Leafs fans at this point as well.

I can vouch for this being true. :lol:

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:38 am 

Three consecutive big wins for my Indiana Pacers :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

MEGANICK89
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:57 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
Three consecutive big wins for my Indiana Pacers :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I love Paul George. I've always liked the Pacers and with the Cavs still rebuilding, I will be pulling for Indiana in the playoffs.

Gofuckshit
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:17 pm 

This is interesting, sports are fixed, but they are entertaining
check this site out:http://thefixisin.net/

misogynisticfeminist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:24 pm 

Gofuckshit wrote:

That website is the most retarded thing I have ever seen, with your statement coming in a close second.

Gofuckshit
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:42 pm 

misogynisticfeminist wrote:
Gofuckshit wrote:

That website is the most retarded thing I have ever seen, with your statement coming in a close second.

Thanks, But mabey you should open your mind and consider the information

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:37 pm 

The Baltimore/Bronco's game is really good. At this point who knows what will happen!

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:33 pm 

I blame Denver's atrocious secondary for this loss. The first thing taught in Pop Warner is never turn your back on the receiver. Boom, touchdown, overtime. Pathetic. Oh yeah Champ Bailey-he sucks too. Torched by Torrey Smith all night.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:45 am 

MEGANICK89 wrote:
Mors_Gloria wrote:

I love Paul George. I've always liked the Pacers and with the Cavs still rebuilding, I will be pulling for Indiana in the playoffs.

Thank you :beer:

The Cavs are a nice team. Kyrie will become amazing (he already is great), Gee is serviceable and Varejao is a great big (just a tad injury prone). Tristan is a nice player although I prefer Val over him and Tyler Zeller will become serviceable (even though Cody will probably be better).

Hey, any chance that you manage to pair Cody and Tyler? :wink:

I like the Central Division teams, though. They more often than not have an identity. It helps that they're usually able to beat Miami once or twice during the regular season :-D

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:36 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:

So let me get this straight; the Clippers are the best team in the league right now while the crosstown Lakers with that All-Star line-up might not even make the playoffs? If that doesn't signal an imminent coming of endtimes, I don't know what does. Heat all the way!

Great, great weekend for football. This is why I love the NFL. Seattle had a wonderful season. A few yards short and some seconds too late unfortunately.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:06 pm 

The Pats better play near-perfectly if they hope to beat the Ravens next week. I noticed a few times where we were uncharacteristically slow to change personnel between plays tonight, and that will be unacceptable. Though, if we lose, I still get Bruins hockey back. :)

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:47 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
The Pats better play near-perfectly if they hope to beat the Ravens next week. I noticed a few times where we were uncharacteristically slow to change personnel between plays tonight, and that will be unacceptable. Though, if we lose, I still get Bruins hockey back. :)

They definitely gotta work on their special teams and not allow so many kick return yards. I see the Ravens as pretty much the same team as the Texans. Solid quarterback, explosive running back, big and strong receivers, and aggressive defenses. The one thing the Pats need to make sure to do better is stop Rice from making big plays on passes, because Rice is similar to Foster and can do a lot of damage as receivers out of the back field. I feel as if they let Foster gain too many receiving yards.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 136  Next