Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:46 am 

The cover art for Denouement looks familiar, I might have sampled these guys last year some time and forgotten it haha.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:15 am 

The guy behind Utarm has some interesting drawings/paintings:

http://sindrefossskancke.com/drawings/
http://sindrefossskancke.com/apocryphal-stories/

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:27 am 

Something of a non sequitor: has anyone ever ordered from a (German) distro called Zeitgeister Music?

They've got some interesting stuff on their webstore, but, despite it looking reasonably professional, the whole thing doesn't feel quite legit: there's no 'GmbH' anywhere on the site (not sure how many smaller German labels go without that these days); they won't tell what you'll actually be paying until you've entered all your details (no information on shipping costs); you can't order directly - you have to enter your information and they'll send you info on how to pay; it appears to be run by only two guys, one of whom has apparently listed his personal PO box as the company address; and there's a pretty significant fee for using Paypal. Hmmm. :scratch:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:49 am 

Calusari wrote:
Something of a non sequitor: has anyone ever ordered from a (German) distro called Zeitgeister Music?

They've got some interesting stuff on their webstore, but, despite it looking reasonably professional, the whole thing doesn't feel quite legit: there's no 'GmbH' anywhere on the site (not sure how many smaller German labels go without that these days); they won't tell what you'll actually be paying until you've entered all your details (no information on shipping costs); you can't order directly - you have to enter your information and they'll send you info on how to pay; it appears to be run by only two guys, one of whom has apparently listed his personal PO box as the company address; and there's a pretty significant fee for using Paypal. Hmmm. :scratch:

I ordered two Woburn House CDs from there once and had no problems. I can't recall the exact details of ordering or fees/shipping costs, but I don't remember anything overly expensive. I also know from some online acquaintances of mine (one of them also wrote this article) that they're a decent label and not in any way shady or anything like that. Said acquaintances have ordered stuff from there a couple of times and never encountered any problems or complications as far as I know.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:49 pm 

Thanks for those links, Crushed. Will spend some time with these leads. I remember you posted about Impious Baptism a while back but I'd forgotten about that. Glad to hear a full-length is on the way, the sample track sounded good! The Grave Upheaval track there was honestly too muffled/indistinct for me to really latch onto, but I'll check out the demo.

I'm not intentionally stalking your DM browsing habits, I swear... :oh shit: Maybe once one passes the age of thirty some eldritch seal is unlocked in the soulseed plane that confers good taste? That sounds plausible, based on the available evidence.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:35 pm 

Metalfuckingrules wrote:
EVERYONE IN THE FORUM: I would like to make an apology. I am sorry for starting that discussion on kids nowadays, and for posting that picture of the kid that had to return his PS3 because he wasn't grateful for that Captain America statue (the ones the collectors put on their shelves) and me saying that it was "good parenting". I usually don't act like that nor think that way at all. I wasn't really acting like myself during that time (it also happened in December 2011 on Christmas break) so that should give you an idea on why I was acting like in ass by saying that those kids are being raised by MTV, etc. and I usually never think that way at all.

So again, I'm sorry for acting like an total moron.

And because of this, I have decided to leave this forum and will not be returning until March 6th. So until then, you will never see ANY post I make from now on until March 6th.

And I know you guys are totally excited to see me leave (especially you Metantione) and will probably throw a "Metalfuckingrules is finally gone" party.

Goodbye everyone. :metal:
My birthday is March 6th.
Worst fucking present ever.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:44 pm 

Antoine is very hard to spell.

Can't wait for his glorious comeback!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:13 pm 

THE ANTI-ONE :panda:

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:16 pm 

^ *slow clap* :D

Some Mental Floss reading for you guys - http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/156708

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:44 pm 

^ That was a really interesting read. Too bad it had an anti-climatic ending, but still, really interesting stuff.

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:33 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/thecrownofficial?fref=ts

For anyone that cares, (didn't think this was thread-worthy) THE CROWN HAS STARTED RECORDING THEIR FOLLOWUP TO DOOMSDAY KING!!!!!!!!

dear God, I can't wait to hear some new stuff from them especially with Johan on vocals.

Any fans of The Crown left on this site?

Well, that's not uncommon at all. Many people go on 4chan in order to get off.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:47 pm 

Mike_64 wrote:

For anyone that cares, (didn't think this was thread-worthy) THE CROWN HAS STARTED RECORDING THEIR FOLLOWUP TO DOOMSDAY KING!!!!!!!!

dear God, I can't wait to hear some new stuff from them especially with Johan on vocals.

I'm a fan of Deathrace King and the Lindberg album, but overall I haven't checked the band out much. I remember not being very impressed with the comeback album with the new (now gone) singer.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:58 pm 

Mike_64 wrote:

Count me in and about damn time! Can't blame them for taking this long, though. They toured a LOT over the past year and I remember them saying that they weren't going to rush into a new album when Johan came back, and that was back in fall 2011 I believe. Still, now that we know it's happening, hopefully they won't need to fuck around in the studio for too long. Good to add them to a fast-growing list of albums I'm looking forward to this year.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:17 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Calusari wrote:

I ordered two Woburn House CDs from there once and had no problems. I can't recall the exact details of ordering or fees/shipping costs, but I don't remember anything overly expensive. I also know from some online acquaintances of mine (one of them also wrote this article) that they're a decent label and not in any way shady or anything like that. Said acquaintances have ordered stuff from there a couple of times and never encountered any problems or complications as far as I know.

Thank you very much for the information and the link! :thumbsup: It's a really interesting article, by the way - the label sounds like a cool collective; I'm very glad to hear they're legit. :)

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:21 am 

Greetings. It's 5:20 AM and there seems to be no prospect of sleeping tonight + it's perversely warm - either that or I'm sick (I don't feel sick). Internet says <10° but it feels like 20. Uni at 10:00 :(
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:10 am 

Has anyone else seen the new Death Grips music video? It's a pretty original concept for a rap video, it's shot in black and white and there's 9 minutes of just video before the actual song starts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOs51Lvhn64

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:08 am 

The weird shit that can come to you on a dog walk.

So there was a song idea that I got while walking the dog in the late night over here in Connecticut. As I was writing the song, so much was coming that I've decided to take the song's concept and make multiple songs out of it. It's a very 80s horror scenario I'm collectively calling "The Demons That Lurk Within Apartment 153". Think of a Cabin in the Woods scenario of five stereotypical horror victims going into someplace they really shouldn't be going and each being systematically slaughtered in fun, gruesome ways by a group of demonic spirits that haunt an old apartment that a murder took place in. Each song will be following the story with the key part of each song being the deaths of each character. So yeah, very slasher film.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:01 am 

Ironically, I just finished watching The Grudge 3.

Here's hoping your songs are of better quality than that.
Hehe, foreskins.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:03 am 

I'm fairly certain a bad case of food poisoning is a more pleasant experience than The Grudge 3.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:11 am 

I remember watching The Grudge 2 after a long day at work with some buddies some months back. I consider myself a man usually competent enough to understand what is going on in a film, but I could not make heads or tails out of that shit. I'm pretty convinced there just was no plot.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:44 am 

If you want a movie that is just almost completely incomprehensible to watch, try I Know Who Killed Me. That movie is a goddamn mess, and for those that have seen it along with me, it's a goddamn BLUE AND RED AND YELLOW AND NO OTHER FUCKING COLOR mess.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:00 am 

I avoided that one after concluding that Lindsay Lohan starring was a bad sign.

I actually enjoyed The Grudge 2, though I do admit it's pretty confusing; The Grudge 3, however, is genuinely, truly awful - the appearances of the evil spirit thing start out seeming like parodies of the whole trope (even if you never noticed how comical that long, black hair thing can get before this, you will now), before becoming just plain painful.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:03 am 

Mike_64 wrote:
something

Your fucking sig... :lol: Damn double meanings.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:39 am 

Calusari wrote:

The really sad thing though is that Lindsay Lohan pre-drugs was pretty damn good and really damn hot. She was excellent in Mean Girls (which is actually a very funny movie, watch it if you haven't) and quite good in the Freaky Friday remake she did with Jamie Lee Curtis. Then the drugs and booze started going inside of her like an infected dick, and I Know Who Killed Me was the kickstart to her career pretty much dying. It's a TERRIBLE movie, as in "You cannot consciously make something this fucking crappy" bad. It's kind of like a movie version of Lulu, wherein it just gives you a giant, confusing headache and halfway through you end up shouting "DEAR FUCKING GOD, MAKE THIS STOP!".

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:50 am 

Yes, definitely; she had a lot of potential. Those before/after drugs pictures of her that pop up now and then are pretty damn terrifying.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:56 am 

^ She was kinda cute in the beginning and then celebritydom got to her. Pshaw.

OzzyApu wrote:
I'm a fan of Deathrace King and the Lindberg album, but overall I haven't checked the band out much. I remember not being very impressed with the comeback album with the new (now gone) singer.

I feel the same way. After a point of time somewhere in 2007-08, the Crown just faded away for me.

Sathanas_BM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:12 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
Has anyone else seen the new Death Grips music video? It's a pretty original concept for a rap video, it's shot in black and white and there's 9 minutes of just video before the actual song starts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOs51Lvhn64

Although I'm more of lurker than a poster, I thought this was enough to warrant a response out of me.

I'm not sure what to think of it. The only conclusion I've come to as of yet is that it weirds me out, which is always a good thing as far as I'm concerned. In that respect, I enjoy it. I always dug these guys both musically and conceptually and this doesn't stray too far from their lane (though it's still a fresh idea it's own way). They're one of the most innovative groups in the entire spectrum of hip-hop, I reckon. Glad to see another fan of them here on the archives, although I seem to remember a thread on them not too long back.

I'm surprised they don't have more metal-oriented admirers. They've always struck me as a group that's abrasive enough to turn the heads of the extreme music crowd, but too abrasive for your average rap fare. Not to mention the members are fans of metal themselves (or so I've heard), and Zach Hill is a fairly well-known guy in the experimental music scene.

thepoopsmithmaster wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Are you that dense?
Define dense.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:17 am 

Calusari wrote:
I actually enjoyed The Grudge 2, though I do admit it's pretty confusing; The Grudge 3, however, is genuinely, truly awful - the appearances of the evil spirit thing start out seeming like parodies of the whole trope (even if you never noticed how comical that long, black hair thing can get before this, you will now), before becoming just plain painful.

Spoiler: show
I actually think Kayako was presented reasonably well in The Grudge 3. Im always kind of unnerved by her herky jerky movements, even if its a different actor. The real failings of the film are the sort of one-two punch of half of the jump scares being completely random and immediately stupid in retrospect (why was Kayako's head randomly giant and filling an entire hallway just to watch her sister leave the building?) and her sister... Well, pretty much everything about her sister. But ESPECIALLY her ghost. Naoko comes back maybe what, 5 minutes after her death? And compared to Kayako's awesome rapid jerking movements, Naoko's ghost is just idiotic looking the way she falls own with every step she takes. I get that her leg is broken, but she just seems very easy to escape. What's more, her make-up was not nearly as well done as Kayako's, making her ghost look quite silly when it hobbles on screen. And finally, it kills people by... Chewing their throat? It looks like that shit took 30 seconds at least! With Kayako as soon as she got her hands on you, you were fucked. In the start of the movie she turned Jake into a god damned Stretch Armstrong! By comparison Naoko seems quite nonthreatening and her ghost derping out ends the movie on a hilarious low note.

Basically I dont mind the B-grade, nonsensical horror movie plot too much (even if sometimes I had no idea what the fuck was happening), but my typical solace with shitty plot (that being the presentation of actual disturbing imagery) wasn't even there to make up for it half the time.
Hehe, foreskins.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:43 am 

Crick wrote:
I actually think Kayako was presented reasonably well in The Grudge 3. Im always kind of unnerved by her herky jerky movements, even if its a different actor. The real failings of the film are the sort of one-two punch of half of the jump scares being completely random and immediately stupid in retrospect (why was Kayako's head randomly giant and filling an entire hallway just to watch her sister leave the building?) and her sister... Well, pretty much everything about her sister. But ESPECIALLY her ghost. Naoko comes back maybe what, 5 minutes after her death? And compared to Kayako's awesome rapid jerking movements, Naoko's ghost is just idiotic looking the way she falls own with every step she takes. I get that her leg is broken, but she just seems very easy to escape. What's more, her make-up was not nearly as well done as Kayako's, making her ghost look quite silly when it hobbles on screen. And finally, it kills people by... Chewing their throat? It looks like that shit took 30 seconds at least! With Kayako as soon as she got her hands on you, you were fucked. In the start of the movie she turned Jake into a god damned Stretch Armstrong! By comparison Naoko seems quite nonthreatening and her ghost derping out ends the movie on a hilarious low note.

I'd forgotten that
Kayako and Naoko's ghosts are actually presented quite different, and that the former isn't nearly as bad as the latter. I was mainly thinking of Naoko earlier; you're certainly right - she was utterly ludicrous. They totally wasted the potential of the series' mythology with her.

On another note, I just picked up Funeral's Tristesse/Tragedies for a couple of Euros from Season of Mist's end of year sale. I've always wanted a physical copy of those releases. :hyper:

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:30 am 

*Meet a hot waitress at IHOP*
*Try to make her laugh every time she checks up on your table*
*Write phone number on receipt*
*Wait*
*Wait*
*Wait*
*Wait*
*Wait*
*Give up*

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:34 am 

Subrick wrote:
Calusari wrote:

The really sad thing though is that Lindsay Lohan pre-drugs was pretty damn good and really damn hot. She was excellent in Mean Girls (which is actually a very funny movie, watch it if you haven't) and quite good in the Freaky Friday remake she did with Jamie Lee Curtis.

Had I been old enough to fap when I first saw "The Parent Trap", I would have.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:39 am 

I will admit though that despite how unfortunate she turned out to be, a couple of the before and after photos are really morbidly funny, mainly just because it looks like her face is in the middle of falling off her head as the photo is being taken.

Also, do remember that there is an actress in Hollywood that we can look upon as being what Lindsay Lohan would've turned out to be had cocaine never entered her life: Emma Stone.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:47 am 

Calusari wrote:
Thank you very much for the information and the link! :thumbsup: It's a really interesting article, by the way - the label sounds like a cool collective; I'm very glad to hear they're legit. :)

No problem. :) :beer: It's a pretty cool label, yeah, some interesting stuff to be found, such as the aforementioned Woburn House.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:06 am 

Subrick wrote:
If you want a movie that is just almost completely incomprehensible to watch, try I Know Who Killed Me. That movie is a goddamn mess, and for those that have seen it along with me, it's a goddamn BLUE AND RED AND YELLOW AND NO OTHER FUCKING COLOR mess.

Oh yeah, one of the top 10 worst I have ever seen. Totally horrendous. Still not as confusing as Grudge 2, but much more self indulgent, disgusting and degrading for that.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:20 am 

Plus Art Bell just kind of shows up near the end of the movie to provide exposition. Out of fucking nowhere.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:54 am 

bassistneededlolnot wrote:
Had I been old enough to fap when I first saw "The Parent Trap", I would have.

"May I have sex with this 8 year-old girl now that she's 21?"

"No way."

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:59 am 

I should've done this with the girl I met at IHOP like a year ago. Damn, she was cute as fuck, too.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:00 pm 

Finally started developing a mild interest in funeral doom after writing it off as "boring shit". Began with Shape of Despair's debut, Shades Of... and quite enjoying it. Listened to The Funeral Orchestra's album as well (due to one of the musician being in Runemagick, a band I also very much enjoy). Certainly not a band little introduction to the genre I think.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:11 pm 

*Try to make her laugh every time she checks up on your table*
*Wait*
*Wait*
*Wait*
*Wait*
*Wait*
*Give up*

Waitresses really love having people hit on them, you're obviously just not persistent enough.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:02 pm 

Firing guns poisons your brain :guns:
Highly relevant: http://www.motherjones.com/environment/ ... k-gasoline
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 748, 749, 750, 751, 752, 753, 754 ... 827  Next