Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:24 am 

So Death Angel let Carls Jr, a fucking fast food restaurant, use their song "The Ultra Violence" for a burger commercial? In the immortal words of SNL's Keenan Thompson: WHATSUPWITHDAT?? I dunno, I have heard that copywright laws chage after a song has been out after so many years, and one would hope that Death Angel got paid royalties (guess the need the money, maybe?) but seriously... friggin' Carls Jr?? It's not even like it is GOOD fast food. I was kind of sad to hear this. Makes me feel old or something.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:31 am 

I had a little head trip when I saw that commercial! Made me think "am I seriously hearing what I think I'm hearing??" I don't think it's anythign to get upset about. It's a catchy intro, and I guess all you can do is be glad we're among the few people who will recognize it.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:15 am 

Remember when you heard that Death Angel song on that burger commercial? Remember how mad you were? Good times brah, good times.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:19 am 

we actually have that chain down in new zealand would you believe, i'm yet to visit them or see/hear this ad though.
maybe they could have used cattle decapitation instead...

i think it's cool when there's a bit of metal in an advert that we recognise
is there any 'official' statement on this anywhere?

i remember back in the very early 90's there was an rtr countdown [music show on tv] ad that has some wicked guitar shredding in it, i later found out it was faith no more

CageTheRagers
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:29 am 

Just dug it up. Strange but true...

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:32 am 

turkey burger? ha ha weird.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:40 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRHA2OQiszY
It's like Blood Duster (a local grind band from here) being used in a ad for Reflex paper, even though they are taking the piss.
I guess awful exposure is better than no exposure.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:45 am 

Jackoroth wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRHA2OQiszY
It's like Blood Duster (a local grind band from here) being used in a ad for Reflex paper, even though they are taking the piss.
I guess awful exposure is better than no exposure.

ha ha! no shit! we had that ad on tv here too, i mustn't have ever noticed the music, or maybe they changed it.
that's one way to shift some units...

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:39 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
I dunno, I have heard that copywright laws chage after a song has been out after so many years, and one would hope that Death Angel got paid royalties (guess the need the money, maybe?) but seriously... friggin' Carls Jr??

Well...well yes, they would, that's how these kind of things work. A lot of musicians actually make bread-and-butter from writing jingles.

Death Angel don't necessarily "need" the money, but I'm sure it is welcomed. Heavy music is used in commercials fairly often, sometimes it is made simply for the commercial (I've seen ads with almost-but-not-quite jingles of songs like "Ace of Spades" or "Rock You Like A Hurricane", where some musicians have been hired to record a song like it, and essentially just change it enough). Or you have this awesome ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO1rYr4BXAI

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Seto
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:42 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIgZTr4mIks

This is the best we can do in the UK, I think. Although I recently saw an advert for Blackadder with Van Canto on it. That was surprising.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:34 am 

lol @ people getting mad that this song is used in a commercial.

Metal fans seem to get butthurt that not enough people listen to and know about their music, then they get mad when a large group of people are exposed to their music.

I think it's awesome that that song (rather than a boring one from their post-reunion albums) was chosen.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:53 am 

You're going overboard with this, Oxen. Sure, it's a classic thrash metal song being used as part of a commercial. So what? It's a good song, and it's cool to see underground metal getting this kind of exposure. In fact, seeing people complain about this confuses me.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:43 pm 

For years a slew of riffs from bands have been sampled or slightly altered if they're more well-known in pop and rap songs for the sake of being kitschy or referential. That's far more egregious to me than something like this.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:10 pm 

Who really cares? I heard it and before i could say anything my wife was like... that Death Angel? and we rewound it and confirmed it and were.. well good for them. It's no different from when Suffocation did that commercial for the History Channel. few dollars in their pocket, maybe some exposure. I don't see why it's a huge deal to some people getting all pissed off about it. that's more shocking to me.

SJDJ
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:31 pm 

Ahem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxIiMA1-W70

Furthermore I don't see how this is a bad thing. If one single kid see a commercial, decide to pick up a guitar and ends up writing a kick ass album cause of it metal as a whole is better. This isn't even counting the exposure and subsequent income generated by it.

1 guy sees the DA commercial, researches the band, finds out there's a show, takes his buddy, at a ticket cost of $20 all of a sudden Death Angel and the 2-3 opening bands have $40 extra dollars in their pocket from tickets alone. This is a good thing.

Edit: Found this in the similar videos. Made me laugh http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHdwuaaPkVw

Back when my masturbating to 13 year old girls wasn't considered perverse.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:50 pm 

well honestly, to clarify, I was more shocked and surprised than really angry about it.

I guess if a band wants to have their music played on a fast food commercial than more power to em. It reminds me of a time I remember being equally surprised about 10 years ago to hear a Flying Saucer Attack (1990s British shoegaze/ambient) song on a Saturn car commercial.

zzerk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:08 pm 

We can all not care because that's the cool thing to do but sometimes it's frustrating when some corporation uses a piece of music that you really love or that means a great deal to you to sell their bullshit product.

I'm not opposed to great bands getting exposure and getting out of the murky depths of the underground, but I wish the exposure would come in a better form than background noise for some lame commercial that is otherwise forgettable. Rush's Fly by Night in that Volkswagen ad, for example (not that they need that exposure or money, but their music is extremely important to me). I gotta admit, the ad with Blood Duster is pretty amusing though, and the Suffocation ad is tasteful and actually advertises the band in addition to the programming -- more so than the VW commercial does for Rush. At least the History Channel special isn't just more consumer crap that we don't need.

I often think about how Beethoven would feel if he knew his music is used to sell insurance and every other type of bullshit imaginable. Some of the greatest music anyone has ever written and some cunt with a marketing degree gets to reduce it to advertising. It disgusts me.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:28 pm 

I saw this one on Blabbermouth. It was strange, but hey, it could have been worse. It could have been used in a Burger King commercial. THAT place is disgusting.
Side note, I actually tried the Memphis burger there. It wasn't half bad, but then again what do I know...

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:34 pm 

I don't get how in hell people can frown upon those things, when the music is the same. If they start to make shitty pop music aimed for commercial purposes I could understand, but it's not the case.

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:39 pm 

Bah, who cares; it's amusing. It's not like the thought of being used in a commercial is driving the writing of the music. When that happens, you can think about being upset.

Edit; Sorry, restating what's already been said.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:22 pm 

Given their choice of music, I'm afraid that those japalenos might be a bit too spicy.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:29 am 

The irony being that Death Angel isn't used for the big mega multi beef monster burger.

No. It's used for the diet light turkey burger.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:22 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
we actually have that chain down in new zealand would you believe, i'm yet to visit them or see/hear this ad though.
maybe they could have used cattle decapitation instead...

i think it's cool when there's a bit of metal in an advert that we recognise
is there any 'official' statement on this anywhere?

i remember back in the very early 90's there was an rtr countdown [music show on tv] ad that has some wicked guitar shredding in it, i later found out it was faith no more
What the FUCK? We have Carls Jr. In New Zealand? I've never heard of this. Do you live in Auckland or something?

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:29 am 

Carl's Jr. is the best fast food here. Easily trumps any of the other cancerous places like Taco Bell and Burger King.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:37 am 

This is now the Metal Adverts thread I suppose.

I dare you all to top this when it comes to using metal in a commercial.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 300273
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:50 am 

Metal_Detector wrote:
Carl's Jr. is the best fast food here. Easily trumps any of the other cancerous places like Taco Bell and Burger King.

Amen to that. Next time I get some CJ's I'll blast out some Death Angel lol

RacoCooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:58 am 

At least they'll be getting some nice royalty checks from this sort of exposure.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:32 am 

That ad is truly amazing.

Fast_Kill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:26 pm 

That was cool Bastard, I ll throw one for the fight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZLj2CRwYW4

Epic.

Tell me what you think.

Reply to topic