Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:34 pm 

I don't think I've seen a thread about these guys for as long as I've posted here, the band's early work is some of the best blend of folk/thrash I've heard. Martin Walkyier gets a lot of respect for his time in Sabbat but who here is into Skyclad, and what albums do you think showcased the Sabbat influence as well as the folk influences the band pioneered? I'm curious as to why the band plays very little of their first album, its a solid thrash/heavy metal album with a few folk touches, and everything up to Folkemon seems to be great. What are your favorite albums, and if you are a detractor what do you hate about the band?

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:01 pm 

There's not much discussion probably due to releasing roughly an album a year in the 90s to only 2 in 12. I enjoy their 90s material, but it seems like Martin was their driving force. I don't really have a favorite tbh.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:10 pm 

Speaking off an old memory, I'm pretty sure Skyclad is the favorite band of at least one of the site's owners.

Personally, I like them but have a problem with how every single album starts off with 3-4 good songs and ends with 1-2, and everything in the middle is boring filler. All ten of their albums in the 90s have this problem for me, and I've only heard In the All Together when it comes to their post-Walkyier stuff.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:15 pm 

Prince Of The Poverty Line is a masterpiece. It's nasty, embittered and gritty, like a vagrant that's been kicked around but still has something important to say about the world that's screwed him over. The compositions, riffs and lyrical wit really make it something special.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:22 pm 

One of the best and most consistent bands ever. Also very little filler across their entire discography (BH doesn't know what he's talking about ;)).

I feared they would suck without Walkyier, but they've managed surprisingly well.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:36 pm 

:tongue:

I admit that despite rarely being able to go through a full album in one go, they do have a couple things working for them that I'll always, always adore:

1) "The Silver Cloud's Dark Lining" was the first folk metal song I'd ever heard. The concept of such a genre was completely foreign to me prior to 2004 so this random song I snaked off Limewire way back when really opened up a ton of doors for me. Plus I plan to sing this to my children as a lullaby.

2) "Civil War Dance" has what is possibly the greatest build up and release of any metal song in history, and is pretty much THE example I point to when explaining how to properly use an album opener to build anticipation for what's to come.

3) "Art Nazi" is potentially the catchiest song in the universe.

4) And of course "Thinking Allowed?" is my favorite song of theirs and the riff at :47 is probably the greatest thing they've ever written.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:50 pm 

I used to love these guys when they first appeared but lost interest after Martin left (fuck this has happened to me with quite a few bands I have noticed of late!). I would say the Wayward Sons is still my favourite from them, I remember buying it on tape the day it was released and playing it over and over. I can also remember the folk elements being very weird at the time, they were prob the first if not the first to fully embrace this style, but after allowing time to digest you had to give them respect for trying something different and slowly I began to really enjoy this new style, the cover.of Emerald was great.

Come to think of it most bands Walkyier was part of I came to adore, any of you guys every check out The Clan Destined? I loved that release to be honest, all the more special because I got it from Martin while having a few pints with the Sabbat guys, I must say he was a gentleman and very passionate about his music.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:18 pm 

Whatever happened to them? Martin said he was reforming the band with new members and we're now going on 4 years without anything from them.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:54 pm 

WaywardSon wrote:
Whatever happened to them? Martin said he was reforming the band with new members and we're now going on 4 years without anything from them.

Not sure myself? Maybe the Sabbat reunion put them on hold. Regarding Skyclad I must look into some of their later material to see how they are holding up.

The_Minstrel51
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:11 pm 

I only have the debut but it's one of my all-time favorite albums. Haven't heard very much of their later material though. I wish I could find a decently priced copy of A Burnt Offering for the Bone Idol...

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:01 pm 

great band with great lyrics. Would really like to see them live in full glory.
Their post martin material is decent but in the end just leaves me a bit wanting for something extra.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:09 pm 

I love the 90's stuff through and through and the music could be both fun, yet sombre, but it somehow worked for them. As for their post Martin material, A Semblance of Normality has plenty of plays from me. Great album. I have to give their latest more of a listen now that I think about it.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:51 pm 

I only have Folkemon, which I thought musically was fun and interesting but not enough for me to seek out any of their other albums. I think it's mostly the modern, leftist political content that bothers me. It makes me think of the Dropkick Murphys or Flogging Molly, which is stuff that I tend to avoid.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:30 pm 

I dig them alot. "In The... All Together Now" is probably my favourite, there's only one or two tracks I would consider below the rest, it is somewhat varied and has great songwriting. There are lots of tracks I love by the band, but I need to listen to more full lengths in their entirety.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:58 pm 

I love em, my favourite albums are probably The Wayward Sons and Price Of The Poverty Line some great folk thrash on those albums.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:05 pm 

The_Minstrel51 wrote:
I only have the debut but it's one of my all-time favorite albums. Haven't heard very much of their later material though. I wish I could find a decently priced copy of A Burnt Offering for the Bone Idol...

One of my greatest finds at the Princeton Record Exchange in NJ was a copy of this in good condition for $3 or so :) Still on the lookout for their other albums though...

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:04 am 

I used to love Skyclad, such a truly pioneering band. "Jonah's Ark" is without doubt my favourite, though "Burnt Offerings" is a close second. I lost interest from "Silent Whales... " onwards, they seemed to lose their edge.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:36 am 

I love them. Wayward Sons and Oui Avant Garde A Chance are favorites
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Reply to topic