Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:10 pm 

Marty Friedman and Jason Becker were in Cacophony before Friedman joined Megadeth and Becker joined David Lee Roth's solo band before he had to quit because of Lou Gehrig's Disease.

Ozzy Osbourne did a "rap" on a Was (Not Was) song that featured Madonna on backing vocals. Yeaaaaah.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:22 pm 

slaytanic66 wrote:
godsonsafari wrote:
Shaun Glass, long ago, used to visit the AOL Metal chats and basically crapped on his time in Broken Hope, so I'm guessing he did it to make a couple bucks doing festival dates and stuff like that more than because he wanted to play death metal again.

Yep. I remember reading about that more than once. If he wanted to make a couple of bucks, he should've stayed in Soil. Because death metal is nobody's meal ticket. So hopefully he's really into it.

Hah, no one even cares about SOiL any more. They were just one of many gnu-metal acts that had their fifteen minutes of fame in the late nineties-early aughts before people stopped giving a shit about them and jumped to the next trend in pop-oriented heavy music.

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:33 pm 

Speaking of SOiL, they're going to fund the recording of their upcoming album through Kickstarter apparently. I somehow doubt that they'll go anywhere with that. Ryan McCombs was the 3rd vocalist in Drowning Pool (anyone remember them) before rejoining SOiL

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:47 pm 

How about Donald Tardy (Obituary, Tardy Brothers, etc.) playing with Andrew W.K. during the period where Obituary were inactive?

Or Michael Amott from Arch Enemy, who used to play in Carnage. Arch Enemy are of course not really a pop band, but obviously they are not as extreme or brutal as Carnage.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:48 pm 

Devilloc wrote:
Numerator_41 wrote:
Andy Hurley of Fall Out Boy played in both Killtheslavemaster and Racetraitor, and Pete Wentz played in the straight edge hardcore band Birthright.

Andy also drums in Enabler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNznKxcLEOA

scanners.gif

I still haven't recovered from learning this. Fall Out Boy was one of my favorite go-to punching bags in high school, whereas All Hail the Void is in my top ten albums of the year. This is like that episode of Pelswick when he finds out that N*Talent is actually Megadirt.

Holy shit that was probably the most obscure 90's cartoon reference the forum has ever seen.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

SomethingForNothing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:42 pm 

Paraplegic cartoons for the win

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:34 pm 

Tom Angelripper from Sodom is in a punk band that plays German folk songs called Onkle Tom Angelripper.

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:28 pm 

Two of the dudes that were in O-zone (the pop band famous for the Numa Numa song) were originally in a gothic/death/doom band called Inferialis.

DeadHead487
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:44 pm 

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but I tripped out when I discovered (many years after the fact) that Kelly Shaefer of Atheist sang in the nu metal/hard rock group Neurotica after Atheist disbanded. I remember them being featured on a WWE compilation (Forced Entry) and getting a lot of advertisement for their album on RAW and SmackDown! before they totally fizzled out as fast as they appeared. I never knew any of this, however, 'til Atheist reformed not too long ago and I was cruising Wikipedia. Weird how it all came full circle.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:46 pm 

DeadHead487 wrote:
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but I tripped out when I discovered (many years after the fact) that Kelly Shaefer of Atheist sang in the nu metal/hard rock group Neurotica after Atheist disbanded. I remember them being featured on a WWE compilation (Forced Entry) and getting a lot of advertisement for their album on RAW and SmackDown! before they totally fizzled out as fast as they appeared. I never knew any of this, however, 'til Atheist reformed not too long ago and I was cruising Wikipedia. Weird how it all came full circle.

He also auditioned for Velvet Revolver. If he had been successful, Velvet Revolver might well be my favourite band of all time. Ahh, the things that could have been.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:37 pm 

Haha, he looks like a doppelganger of Bret Michaels anyways now.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:44 pm 

Louise Reny and Leslie Howe both contributed to the first "PileDriver" album, a speed/thrash metal album released in 1985. The former as a lyrics and melody writer and the latter as guitar and bass player, as well as drums programmer. They were at the same time part of a pop-band named "One to One" (One 2 One) and all the stuff they did with PileDriver was anonymous. One 2 One disbanded in 1992. Howe and Reny then formed pop/alternative band called "Sal's Birdland" (1993-1996) which changed names to "Artificial Joy Club" (1997-1999). Their most notable accomplishment though was their co-writing and producing of local child star Alanis Morissette (then just Alanis)'s first two album, from 1990 to 1992. Their collaboration with Alanis stopped 3 years short of her big international break.

PileDriver: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luzKn7oLzLo (1985)
One to One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uXIU6bn8Hk (1986)

Yes, this is the woman who wrote the lyrics to "Sodomize the Dead"..

Now, if this isn't IRONIC ...

(I know it ain't, but Alanis doesn't seem to know what ironic means)

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:47 pm 

enigmatech wrote:
Or Michael Amott from Arch Enemy, who used to play in Carnage. Arch Enemy are of course not really a pop band, but obviously they are not as extreme or brutal as Carnage.

Don't forget Carcass.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:25 pm 

Well then why not talk about Lee Dorrian or anyone else who was in a grindcore band who then played in a band that was not so grindcore.. or bands who started out as death/doom and ended up recording music with clear vocals, such as The Gathering, Celestial Season or Anathema.. I don't think that's what the thread is about.

However, Mike Amott's band "Spiritual Beggars" is relevant to the topic, as they are a different band playing bluesy hard rock, whereas he normally plays metal with his other bands.

Last edited by kalervon on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:30 pm 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
DeadHead487 wrote:

He also auditioned for Velvet Revolver. If he had been successful, Velvet Revolver might well be my favourite band of all time. Ahh, the things that could have been.

Well it wouldn't have been the first time a death metal guy had gone on to be in a huge rock band (see Nicke Andersson and The Hellacopters).

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:10 am 

i thought i read somewhere that one of the previous drummers for Trigger The Bloodshed left the band to go play for an indie rock band

and there's Ice-T that actually was in a hardcore punk/heavy metal band (Bodycount)

another notable change in genre; the singer from Volbeat used to be the vocalist in the death metal band Dominus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HvB4InUMRU

RacoCooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:02 am 

Kigo7 wrote:

Wasn't Shannon Larkin the drummer for Ugly Kid Joe as well before he joined Godsmack? Not quite "more extreme", but still......

Shannon was actually in a really awesome thrash metal band called Wrathchild America before Ugly Kid Joe and Godsmack. The band changed their name to Souls at Zero in the mid 90s and moved to a more technical groove sound.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:41 am 

But really, what thrash band from the 80s didn't go groove in the 90s? Even fucking Slayer did it, and they ended up sounding like Korn when they did.

Metalhaven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:19 am 

Ingar Amlien (Conception & Crest of Darkness; guest musician: Satyricon & Ark) played as a guest musician for a Norwegian pop band called One 2 Many back in the late 80s.

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:54 pm 

Tony Campos in Static-X

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:34 am 

Peter Kostic played drums for Nazxul before joining Regurgitator. For those of you who don't know them, no they're not a horrible grindcore band; they used to be one of Australia's more popular alternative acts. Their music covered pop, hip hop, electronic music, punk, alternative rock etc....

Axalcathu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:09 am 

Baron Misuraca from gothic metal outfit VASARIA used to sing Sinatra songs on a big events in Russia, sample from his performance in Kremlin, Moscow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaepaBw0yrU

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:25 pm 

Tony Campos was in Asesino and (temporarily) in Brujeria around/during the time he was in Static-X. Both bands sound/are more extreme than Static-X.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:43 pm 

Pyogenesis in 1992: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uSQDu9isTM

Pyogenesis in 2002: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-i-6CpCDFs

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:37 pm 

Kigo7 wrote:
Tony Campos was in Asesino and (temporarily) in Brujeria around/during the time he was in Static-X. Both bands sound/are more extreme than Static-X.

A violent wet shit is more extreme than Static-X.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:00 pm 

Not really metal, but Dave Knudson current guitarrist from the indie rock band Minus the Bear used to play in Botch.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:20 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Kigo7 wrote:

A violent wet shit is more extreme than Static-X.

This may be true but I happen to enjoy their first two albums.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:57 am 

kalervon wrote:
Well then why not talk about Lee Dorrian or anyone else who was in a grindcore band who then played in a band that was not so grindcore.. or bands who started out as death/doom and ended up recording music with clear vocals, such as The Gathering, Celestial Season or Anathema.. I don't think that's what the thread is about.

However, Mike Amott's band "Spiritual Beggars" is relevant to the topic, as they are a different band playing bluesy hard rock, whereas he normally plays metal with his other bands.

Spiritual Beggars are bluesy metal or stoner metal if one goes by terms. And 'extreme' or 'extreme metal' doesn't necessarily mean guttural vocals/death/black metal etc related band. Since when do bands like Cathedral became 'pop' metal? Doom metal is a legit form of extreme metal. Keep that in mind. Neither Spiritual Beggars nor Cathedral are popular, I'd say the exact opposite in terms of 'popular', Napalm Death and Carcass/Arch Enemy are more widely known than above mentioned bands.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Last edited by doomster999 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:08 pm 

Definitely not metal, but one of the founding members of Interpol was also part of Hot Cross and Saetia (both first-wave screamo acts, for those not in the know), eventually quitting to focus on Hot Cross.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:22 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
Since when do bands like Cathedral became 'pop' metal?
Who wrote that bands like Cathedral were 'pop' metal?

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:57 pm 

You also have Billy Gould (bassist of Faith No More) who was a founding member of Brujeria.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:40 pm 

Not necessarily metal, but an old hard rock band in Korea called Boohwal (very influential to the metal scene in that country, and was in straight competition with bands like Sinawe) which sounded like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM1Z4XLHPfM

Has transformed into a sappy ballad-only band that sounds like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f_jK8TedOU

Not to mention that Kim Kyung-Ho went from:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MplEgknxafE

To:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d2STI0m2VU

And that Sinawe went from:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsET9WnUAOA

To:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVasbvxlkhw

And their original bass player is the extremely famous Seo Taiji who broke into a solo career like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3DWZijTbVY

But eventually became stuff like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHheUHUBbD8

And then:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTUbyqQ7QDI

And:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brVfHQjorT8

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:33 pm 

Roman Ratej, drummer of the avant-garde group Devil Doll, was also the drummer of the Russian dance pop group tATu. Very surprising considering how eccentric and private Devil Doll's mainman is.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:24 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
Spiritual Beggars are bluesy metal or stoner metal if one goes by terms. And 'extreme' or 'extreme metal' doesn't necessarily mean guttural vocals/death/black metal etc related band. Since when do bands like Cathedral became 'pop' metal? Doom metal is a legit form of extreme metal. Keep that in mind. Neither Spiritual Beggars nor Cathedral are popular, I'd say the exact opposite in terms of 'popular', Napalm Death and Carcass/Arch Enemy are more widely known than above mentioned bands.

not to mention that arch enemy is basically music for kids played on guitars with "harsh" vocals

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:11 pm 

Speaking of Sodom, I thought I heard that Andy Brings guy was doing pop music. He at least looks like he is.

TheHellstorm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:21 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsDCJT_c ... _embedded#!

The guy singing is actually Grzegorz Kupczyk of Polish Metal legends Turbo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nNCv4XAGAw)

Velmu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:13 pm 

Didnt notice this here or if this fits into this thread, but Emppu and Tuomas from Nightwish played in Darkwoods My Betrothed.

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:07 pm 

Are Darkwoods My Betrotherd still going?

Kirk Windstein of Crowbar is the co-lead guitarist of Down along with Pepper Keenan.

Justin Broadrick from Napalm Death was a founder of Godflesh and Jesu, both of which play industrial as opposed to grind

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:48 am 

Kigo7 wrote:
Kirk Windstein of Crowbar is the co-lead guitarist of Down along with Pepper Keenan.

What is this turning into? "Dudes who are in two bands" thread? Neither Crowbar nor Down are either "pop" or "extreme". That's a miss on every conceivable point.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

ancientorder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:24 am 

Folkemon_ wrote:
I heard one of the guys from Thergothon now writes music for pop singers now, dont know how true it is.

Yes, Jori Sjöroos who was the drummer of Thergothon is the main song-writer and producer of the finnish pop-duo PMMP. He also has his own indie pop band Magenta Skycode.

Niko Skorpio is more known today in ambient circles but that doesn't really count here.

Kigo7 wrote:
Are Darkwoods My Betrotherd still going?

They have been on hiatus for several years but not split-up. Might get more active as the rest of the album reissues get released.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next