Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 295685
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:33 pm 

Hey guys, I'm in two bands. A Groove Metal band, and a Tech Death band, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to get the attention of record labels. You see, we are determined that this is what we want to do with our lives, and I'm confident in our music. We just opened for Dying Fetus and Malignancy in my Groove band, and we've also opened for Revocation and Fleshgod Apocalypse. These are my first bands, but the other members (the oldest of whom is 16) have been in quite a few bands before. I know it would be kind of hard to get people to pay attention to us, as we're young, but we know that this is what we want to do. We are going to be recording our first demo (in the groove band) very soon. As for the tech death band we've recorded, but haven't played any shows. So yeah, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how we could get more known?

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:12 pm 

Release stuff yourself and do your own promotion work. Labels don't even consider bands that do some work themselves, and eventhen a lot take years to get recognized. Network with other bands and people and try to get on other shows, then keep branching out as far as you can and try to find a local and fanbase elsewhere. Labels usually don't even recognize bands until they have somewhat of a following in multiple geographic areas, or at least national/international recognition.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:16 pm 

Yea I agree with that, cause you rarely see labels sign a band that hasn't at least attempted to release something themselves or got some smaller label to release something for them. The only bands that are signed straight out are bands comprised of members of other well known bands cause they have already proven themselves as viable sellers.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:29 pm 

Record the best music that you can, play shows, and spread your name. Labels generally want to pick up bands that already have a bit of a following - they look at Facebook followers, YouTube views, and things like that, as well as the obvious things like local response - do people come out to see the band, and do people take an interest with live shows? Labels want to see a band that is self-promoting and willing to struggle to get where they want to be, basically a band that's a good business investment from a working perspective.

Good music is probably also important, but the important part is making music that people like if you want a label to support you. If you're comfortable doing that, go for it, if you want to make the music that you want to make, consider not trying to make it a career.

~Guest 295685
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:04 pm 

Cool thanks. Yeah, finding a following is already proving difficult. Our show with Dying Fetus and Malignancy started at 4 pm, and we were first on, which sucked. There were only like 25 people there, and they were mostly parents, and siblings, with a few die hard supporters of the local scene. Not to mention, we werent able to sell all our tickets for that show, since our friends aren't really metalheads, and we don't know any other metalheads than each other. But we are definitely trying. We were going to record our demo this weekend, but our drummer quit the day after the Dying Fetus show in order to pursue other interests. Honestly, even though the groove band has played more, the tech death band has more chance, or at least a little advantage. Our lead guitarist is 14 (a few months younger than me) and he's better than most people who have been playing for years. His uncle is personal friends with Muhammed Suicmez, and has said that he's one of the best guitarists he's met. Either way, we're trying, and we're certainly putting ourselves out there. Alot of the NJ metal scene (at least from what I've seen) is way older than us. We're competing in a competition for Summer Slaughter and signage to Sumerian Records, but we don't have much of a chance, as bands like Shadows of Dawn (don't know if any of you know them) are competing and they're SICK. I've also been thinking of doing a solo black/doom metal project with post-punk influences (or even just straight up post-punk), I just haven't had time yet, between two bands, and school, as well as school jazz band, and marching band (I'm trying to get as much music credit as possibe, as I really wanna go to to Berklee). Obviously, there's Bandcamp for that sort of thing, and solo projects don't usually make livings. But overall thanks. So I guess what I'm trying to ask here (I know I started to ramble) is if anyone has any advice on how to develop a following?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:03 pm 

Depends on the quality of the solo artists cause not even most bands can make a living at just playing music. So I'm trying to crush your dreams or anything but you have to think realistically. Esp with tech death as what you are viewing as your chance to 'make it' you'll still be working a real job doing something to support it. It's a rarity to get to that point where you can comfortably live off just your music. Also try not to get discouraged, cause it's going to be a long road to get to where you want esp at your age. just cause decapitated started out and did very well for their age doesn't mean anything... that's like winning the lottery... just less of a chance.

and to develop a following, since you are so young you won't have as many opportunities to play live at most clubs since they don't want the liability of you being there underage. try setting up your own shows in community centers, but you have to be aware of your audience/demographic in the area. Like here for example there isn't a scene for grindcore, like literally none. So what would be the use of playing a show to no one cause it's not going to win someone over if there is no one to begin with that even has a remote interest in the style you are playing (since you said most of your friends aren't even metalheads... that's a huge mark against you already cause who else could you count on to come to an all age show if not your friends?)

~Guest 295685
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:07 pm 

Yeah. Since I like to plan ahead, I've been thinking of pulling a Steve Von Till, and getting a teaching degree in something I like/am good at (in my case, world history) and being a teacher. It's always been one of my backup ideas, and it would bring in plenty of income, and I'd have summers off for touring (if that would be feasible).

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:31 am 

Just play the best metal you can play. If it's worthy of being signed, it''ll happen.

Don't shred to get signed, get signed 'cause you shred...

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:59 am 

I'm glad to see you are actually thinking and not just expecting to get signed like some other guys I used to jam with.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:04 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I'm glad to see you are actually thinking and not just expecting to get signed like some other guys I used to jam with.

"Nah bro, it just happens! You just play and play and then you get signed. But only if you have a facebook. That is what separates the pros and the losers."

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:25 am 

haaha kinda like that minus the facebook since it was kinda before bands were even on it, it was myspace. I'm old.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:24 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
haaha kinda like that minus the facebook since it was kinda before bands were even on it, it was myspace. I'm old.

Oh I remember the days of the myspace band profiles, and had one myself with terrible blog posts. Before it got all clunky, it was actually a pretty decent way to connect with bands - other websites have since succeeded it, though.

Goran
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:15 am 

Yup, MySpace was indeed simple and effective... Until it went down the shitter quite suddenly.
Deleted entire profiles soon after.

Facebook isn't a very appealing format for band pages (in my opinion), although many bands seem to have one.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:21 pm 

I hate facebook, i started one for my artwork and the label just last month and it's just so clunky and retarded. I hate it hate it, myspace was far better before it went to shit cause I was able to promote shit much quicker and sold shit much faster on both accounts. Oh well.

I didn't even bother to delete my old pages I just left them to rot, cause really... who cares?

wreath_of_coils
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:12 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I hate facebook, i started one for my artwork and the label just last month and it's just so clunky and retarded. I hate it hate it, myspace was far better before it went to shit cause I was able to promote shit much quicker and sold shit much faster on both accounts. Oh well.

I didn't even bother to delete my old pages I just left them to rot, cause really... who cares?

Good thing for bandcamp eh?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:53 pm 

exactly, bandcamp is tha tits

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:22 pm 

I agree, facebook really isn't that great - the interface with reverbnation is often pretty clunky, too - myspace had it all right and then went to shit when it tried to re-invent itself. I have to say - just now, as a consumer and not someone currently putting music out there - bandcamp is definitely an excellent website.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:32 pm 

I love it, i might not how I usually find out about bands, but I do go there to check when I hear about one and see if they have their material up there for me to listen to/purchase.

Reply to topic