Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
xpsychoblissx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:47 pm 

So, I've been thinking about getting more serious with playing the bass guitar lately. Unfortunately, my only bass guitar is a 4-string fretless that is more for recording purposes (using it live is a little more of a challenge). Plus I'd just like to get a better sounding bass with active pickups--preferably a 5 or 6 string. I'm thinking I'd like to stay under $500. Any suggestions?

Also, I'm looking for a decent combo amp that could double as a practice amp and amp for small to medium size gigs. I hear that in general 100 watts should be the minimum with two 15" speakers. I'm looking to buy one used for $250 or less if possible...

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:43 am 

Check eBay. I just got a hand made 4 string bass with active electronics (hand made in china, but they did a nice job) for $200+ shipping. I've seen amps on there go for pennies also. And check your local craigslist. With bass amps, the more watts the merrier. It takes a lot of power to move enough air that you can be heard.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:54 am 

It might be worth getting a cheap practice amp for fuck all and a SansAmp for gigs. Those things are absolutely incredible. They're essentially DI boxes, but with incredible tone from their preamps. And if you then run one into a power amp to drive a cab, as well as going DI'd into the desk, then the tone gets fucking amazing.

xpsychoblissx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:28 pm 

Awblaster wrote:
It might be worth getting a cheap practice amp for fuck all and a SansAmp for gigs. Those things are absolutely incredible. They're essentially DI boxes, but with incredible tone from their preamps. And if you then run one into a power amp to drive a cab, as well as going DI'd into the desk, then the tone gets fucking amazing.

That seems like a pretty good idea, actually. If I bought an amp I'd use it for shows mainly, as I can use my Line 6 interface to practice. Do you have any suggestions on an easily available used power amp? I saw some 1000 watt power amps (not the mixer kind), but wouldn't that be way too much power, even for an 8x10 cabinet?

Edit: Wait a second, the Vader 8x10 handles 1600 watts--3200 peak! lol Unfortunately, they don't build new ones, and even used ones are on the expensive side.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:31 am 

You can't really have enough power with a bass guitar, especially if you want to project that sound to the back wall of the room. And if you do have too much power, then just don't turn it up all the way. There's a big reason a lot of bass amps have a ton of watts. There's a reason Bugera makes a 3800 watt amplifier.

Let me put it this way, and try to break down wave propagation theory really basic. Sound waves move through air, and with the Fletcher-munson curves, as well as basic physics, you need to move more air in order for low frequencies to be perceptibly as loud as mid range frequencies (i.e., electric guitar). Large diameter speakers and/or multiple mid-sized speakers (i.e., 8X10 cabs) help to move more air, but you have to have the power to push them. Go check ebay, find something with a lot of watts, and check it's reviews on harmony central. There's a TON of high watt amps out there, go browse them and when you find some in your budget, check their reviews, and go from there.

xpsychoblissx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:30 pm 

Quote:
You can't really have enough power with a bass guitar, especially if you want to project that sound to the back wall of the room. And if you do have too much power, then just don't turn it up all the way. There's a big reason a lot of bass amps have a ton of watts. There's a reason Bugera makes a 3800 watt amplifier.

Good...that's kinda what I figured, but I wasn't sure. I know that for guitars if you have a head that greatly out-powers your speakers, you're just asking for blown speakers.

I'm leaning towards putting together a poor man's rack mount rig... Since I probably won't use it for recording, the main emphasis would be on getting a "full" sound in almost any venue. I'm wanting something that is going to rumble the whole place. lol At first I thought I might only be able to afford a 200-300 watt bass amp, but doing it the rack mount way would allow me to have much more power for a lot less money. Doing it the way Awblaster suggested would probably result in a lack of tonal shaping ability, but that's nothing a good EQ pedal couldn't change. Doing it the way he suggested would also allow me to spend more of the money on a good amp cabinet. I've heard lots of good things about Vader cabs...

(p.s. Bass equipment is cheap as hell compared to guitar stuff!)

Voorvader
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:43 am 

I will tell you right now a simple two piece rig that will blow your mind with its quality:

1) Ibanez Sound Gear GSR100 with EMG pickups
2) Fender Rumbler (up to you what wattage/size you want)

On a side note, my bassist uses this rig live and it sounds wonderful.

http://www.facebook.com/metalsanctuaryandpromos METAL SANCTUARY PROMOTIONS!

Reply to topic