Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
KingAlastor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:18 pm 

I got Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Assassin's Creed 2 for Christmas. Uncharted is really fun and a lot better than the recent Tomb Raider games (except Legend; that one was awesome), but I haven't really gotten the hang of Assassin's Creed yet.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:40 pm 

Haha, welcome to 5 years ago? Well, better late than never. :) Enjoy. Uncharted 2 is a good improvement, but UC3 is rather disappointing.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:23 pm 

KingAlastor wrote:
I got Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Assassin's Creed 2 for Christmas. Uncharted is really fun and a lot better than the recent Tomb Raider games (except Legend; that one was awesome), but I haven't really gotten the hang of Assassin's Creed yet.

Assassin's Creed 2 starts off with a real slow burn, but once you get into the meat of the game it becomes really hard to put down. I think I played a few of the opening missions, didn't touch it for like a month (this was also within a week of beating the first game), then pretty much played it exclusively until I beat it. And then I went out and bought Brotherhood. :nods:

Last edited by sortalikeadream on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:32 pm 

There was a bit of a discussion last page about growing tired of video games. I felt the same way until I started playing Crusader Kings 2 (mostly for the Game of Thrones mod, but vanilla CK2 is amazing). Turns out that I wasn't losing the desire to play video games; instead, I have a growing desire to play more complex and strategic games. I'm getting into Europa Universalis 3 and I plan to get into Hearts of Iron once I'm ready for that. Aside from the Paradox games, I've been playing a lot of Dota 2 and I'm contemplating getting the new Sins of a Solar Empire game on Steam.

I still enjoy the fuck out of Counter-Strike as much as I did back when I was in the 2nd grade though. CS has the most satisfying gunplay of any FPS I've played imo.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:34 pm 

yentass wrote:
I think your question shouldn't be "what to get?" but rather "what to get first?". In which case I'd go with XCOM, just for the mere fact you can get it for as low as $17.50 now if you act really fast and use the GMG30-DPLIM-DN831 voucher.

thank you pity my pc is not nearly good enough to run XCOM so i bought Far Cry 3 today and hopefully XCOM very soon it looks like a really amazing and deep game something that has been missing for the most part on consoles for a while now imo

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:25 am 

KingAlastor wrote:

Yay someone else who appreciates how awesome Tomb Raider Legend is. Easily the best Tomb Raider out there.

OK more on the Wii U. Still just a nice present and not something I would've gotten myself.

But.................BUT!........Mario Wii U is just amazing! I think they made one of the best possible Marios for all audiences. It feels so much like a hybrid of Super Mario World and Super Mario 3. Two great classics combined into one game. It has the challenge of the old Marios. I die. Not, I die while trying to get every single Star coin. I die just playing the game normally and Star coins are challenging to discover.

And if you die a lot a green block appears and you hit it and it asks if you want to see Luigi do the level. I'll pass. But since Mario is a game for everyone, it has its purpose.

It has a challenge section which is fun. When you nail that gold medal in a speedrun you feel like a pro. It's obvious that even with Mario, Nintendo is trying to get all of us to leave that PS3 or Xbox. Dark Souls 2 would be great on the Wii U. Cause rather than having a pause menu cover up the screen while you try to swap weapons and use items in combat, the touchscreen would work nicely.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:34 am 

Beat Halo 4 today. I liked the last 'real' mission (not including the 'deathstar sequence' not that it was bad, just not Halo gameplay). It was a surprisingly good ending to a disappointing campaign. The way 343 handled the 'final level boss' was odd but honestly what else would they do? Make your last act as MC killing a bullet sponge who takes 10x as many bullets this time? No thanks.

BTW I was playing on Heroic and suck at FPS so it was fucking gruelling at points. I did feel accomplished after finally completing it though. Unfortunately, it wasn't just the difficulty that turned me off. The encounter design is poorly thought out compared to Combat Evolved and even Reach (only other Halo games I've played). An example of good encounter/level design, was towards the end of the game where there's a bunch of enemies in a room, and you have various interconnecting vantage points you can run back and forth from, making the fighting feel less monotonous. Unfortunately, such occurrences are rare.

Pretty much the only aspect of the game that lived up to the hype is the graphics (well, if you discount fps issues). It really is stunning for a 360 game. The MP, while fun, feels less like "Halo" than it should. It's disconcerting in an industry that's already too homogenized.

I'd give Halo 4 a 6.5 / 10. A very disappointing single player campaign redeemed by fun and rewarding--if signalling a shift toward the generic for the franchise--multiplayer. You can tell a lot of effort / money went into it though. I haven't given up on the developer yet.

Is the Halo 4 engine meant for next-gen, but toned town to accomodate current gen hw? Has 343 said anything about this? They started working on Halo 5 before they finished Halo 4.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:00 am 

sortalikeadream wrote:
They started working on Halo 5 before they finished Halo 4.

Sometimes I don't mind this, sometimes I hate it. In this case I hated hearing this because hot balls Halo 4 was short as crap and not very rewarding, even if it were more conclusive than say Halo 2 or whatever. To me it was just like "Wait... that's it?" but I guess they probably had a deadline and wanted it out on current consoles, but it seriously felt like they could have put a lot more into the campaign. It was utterly boring fighting the Covenant throughout as well, I'm sure we've all grown tired of them, and there was barely any new enemies to make up for it. Like 2-3 new types?

It was a fun romp but looking back on it already, yeah the game was pretty average at best. Super short campaign, the most linear/scripted Halo game yet, etc. Music wasn't very memorable either, so that's a slip up too with the new composer. Reach was definitely a short game too so I can't say much there, but overall I definitely think I liked it more than 4.

~Guest 295685
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:01 pm 

Completely random, but can anyone help me softmod my Ps2? I'm using this method, http://www.ehow.com/how_6731556_softmod ... y-max.html but step 6 makes no fucking sense, and my console won't read my usb flash drive.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:07 pm 

SatanicPotato wrote:
thank you pity my pc is not nearly good enough to run XCOM so i bought Far Cry 3 today and hopefully XCOM very soon it looks like a really amazing and deep game something that has been missing for the most part on consoles for a while now imo

You say your PC can run Far Cry 3 but not XCOM? Either I miss something here or you got massively confused.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:29 pm 

They made X-Com and Far Cry 3 for consoles too yanno ;) .
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:33 pm 

I am so ready for Thief III to be over with. I just did the museum mission, so I think I'm pretty much at the very end. Phew.

Story definitely went to shit about midway in. The cradle level was impressive and the atmosphere remains to be pretty solid, but yeah. Don't know if I'll ever revisit this one.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:57 pm 

I did a marathon of Telltale's The Walking Dead. GOTY.

I also feel dead inside.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:51 pm 

Dandelo wrote:
The Walking Dead. GOTY.

:lol: :nono:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:54 pm 

I heard a lot of positive things about that game. I take you don't like it. May I ask why? I'm considering buying it.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:56 pm 

From what I saw of HellBlazer trying episode 1, it's like Heavy Rain lite, with a bunch of scripted events, QTEs, timed dialogue choices and minimal puzzle solving. People calling it a return to point-and-click adventure is ludicrous (it has nothing in common with those old Lucas Arts games, for instance, which focused on exploring for clues and solving puzzles), but people calling it GotY takes the cake. It's barely even a game.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:45 pm 

Sounds like Jurassic Park. So is that what all new Telltale games are like?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:11 pm 

Maybe it needs to be taken more as an interactive movie... Image I suspect those are going to evolve into a seperate genre anyways.

As a matter of fact this ecstatic review barely mentions gameplay at all.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:09 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Sounds like Jurassic Park. So is that what all new Telltale games are like?

Apparently. Doesn't bode well for the new King's Quest they're making.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:00 pm 

I really liked the first two episodes, and I haven't played the last three. It's not really a "game" per se, but it's the most interested I've been in a game all year and easily the most invested I've been in a story in ages. I don't keep up on videogames as much as I used to (I still play my PS2 more than any other system), so granted I don't have much to go on but Borderlands 2 fell kinda flat for me whereas The Walking Dead blew me away. If you don't like that style of game or the incorrect claims people are making about it, fair enough, but I think the story is wholly engrossing and absolutely understand all the praise it's getting.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:16 am 

Pfft, casual gamers. :nono:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:21 am 

lol yea i got it on xbox 360 i should have specified that

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:01 am 

Been playing AC3 and I already have one complaint: the guards don't run away! They just keep coming, and Connor is way more brutal in his fighting. Below's a pic I snapped in the middle of it, and I already maxed out the number of dead left behind so that's all it'd show at one time.

BIG PIC
Spoiler: show
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:41 pm 

I've bought and been playing Heroes of Might and Magic VI (I refuse to call it something else, Ubisoft...) and it took me just over 1 day to re-install HoMM III. They will never, EVER top the third game and should stop trying. Heroes 6 is so boring, prone to bugs and unbalanced it makes me sad.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:48 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
From what I saw of HellBlazer trying episode 1, it's like Heavy Rain lite, with a bunch of scripted events, QTEs, timed dialogue choices and minimal puzzle solving. People calling it a return to point-and-click adventure is ludicrous (it has nothing in common with those old Lucas Arts games, for instance, which focused on exploring for clues and solving puzzles), but people calling it GotY takes the cake. It's barely even a game.

Honestly, I would actually play the thing before you write it off. The storyline is fantastic.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:52 pm 

I watched him play for a bit and I've rarely been more bored. No thanks.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:30 pm 

While I agree that the storyline is great, it's in no way a true adventure game. There are simply no puzzles and it feels more like a choose your own adventure book than something else. Even with no Point and Click experience, someone would be able to blast through any of the chapters in about 2 hours a piece.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:03 pm 

Apparently most of the choices you make are just superficial anyway, and don't really affect the storyline much.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:10 pm 

Now now, sometimes you choose between saving bland, unmemorable NPC #1 and bland unmemorable NPC #2 from the zombies! It's heart-wrenching! :cry:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:08 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
They made X-Com and Far Cry 3 for consoles too yanno ;) .

Yeah, I know. Can't see how it's related to my point though.

SatanicPotato wrote:
lol yea i got it on xbox 360 i should have specified that

Oh, that settles it :P
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:34 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
I watched him play for a bit and I've rarely been more bored. No thanks.

If I was watching anyone play a video game, I'd be bored, regardless of what is being played. I don't think you can judge the entire game on watching someone else play a small part of it.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:38 pm 

For this game? Hell yes I can, the interactions from the player is barely existent! Anyway, I already don't care for classic point-and-click adventure games, and I hate Heavy Rain, so a dumbed down and watered down version of these is of zero interest to me whatsoever.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:03 pm 

I'm going to have to put Heavy Rain right next to stuff like Uncharted. I can watch somebody play these games if I'm with a group having fun, but they bore me to tears if I try playing them alone.

I just had to Morrigan. :lol:

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:17 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
For this game? Hell yes I can, the interactions from the player is barely existent! Anyway, I already don't care for classic point-and-click adventure games, and I hate Heavy Rain, so a dumbed down and watered down version of these is of zero interest to me whatsoever.

Fair enough, you don't like point and click games or simpler games of that genre. I still don't get how you can mock the emotional impact of something by witnessing barely even a fifth of the experience. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:31 pm 

Because the "emotional impact" is very far down on my list of reason to play a game...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:47 pm 

I just don't know why they couldn't have put in some actually challenging puzzles, too. The Myst games managed to do both. Or some complex branching story pathways, a la Alpha Protocol. It just doesn't seem like they tried hard at all to make it anything beyond a slightly interactive series of cutscenes.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:25 pm 

I haven't played any Telltale games but I saw a post on another forum that made a pretty good point about QTEs.
Like most people, I loved this game. Perhaps unlike most people, I thought the gameplay itself wasn't weak or detracted from the experience, but instead enhanced it.
Yes, the puzzles were pretty standard point-click fare (you need to fix broken object A, but to do that you need use object B, but to get object B you have to use object C), but I guess fortunately I haven't played many such games. However, I thought in the "action" sequences, the point-and-click mechanics really helped to hammer home the tense and desperate atmosphere.
Having to repeatedly click on the same point to hack someone's leg off made it a much more disturbing experience than just clicking once and watching a cutscene. And having to look down and click on your leg several times to free it when it's trapped and zombies are approaching really made the experience more scary and stressful, as it should be. The dodgy shooting mechanics in the few FPS scenes served as a reminder that not everyone is naturally amazing with a gun just because an apocalypse has come about. While some people hate quick time events, I think their inclusion in the most dangerous of situations (i.e. when a zombie is trying to gnaw your face off) was successful in that it managed to get my heart racing and I was REALLY hammering away at that Q key!
However, it was a little silly how they decided to give Lee a line for EVERY SINGLE OBJECT in the game. Every little thing you come across (Even if it's not used at all!) has the option to look at it before you interact with it. So you see the carriage door on a train and click on it, resulting in Lee saying out loud: "That's the carriage door I need to open to get onto the train." Yes Lee. Yes it is.

To sum it up, it's more about the emotional connection between the player and the game. Of course, a lot of you folks (me included) don't look for that in games. :P

I still think QTEs are a suboptimal alternative to real gameplay mechanics but I could definitely see what Telltale is going for.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:32 pm 

Recently got Ogre Battle: march of the black queen for the Wii Virtual Console, that's some pretty cool shit. Oldschool RTS that just permeates that early 90s charm I love from the SNES Final Fantasy games. Anyone know if the N64 one is any good? Thinking about getting that one as well.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:57 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Recently got Ogre Battle: march of the black queen for the Wii Virtual Console, that's some pretty cool shit. Oldschool RTS that just permeates that early 90s charm I love from the SNES Final Fantasy games. Anyone know if the N64 one is any good? Thinking about getting that one as well.

Don't forget it's technically part of the Tactics Ogre universe as well. I've said it plenty of times in this thread, but I definitely like Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together a good bit more than Final Fantasy Tactics. Same devs in the end and it's kind of a shame Square ended up buying Quest, so they haven't really been able to do much with the Ogre Battle (Matsuno) name in ages now despite the creator having had a lot of plans for more. And now that Matsuno is freelance I think it'll probably never happen, even though I think he was fairly involved in the LUCT PSP remake (which is different enough from the SNES/PSX game, both are worth playing for their wild differences, the originals are brutal as hell, probably one of if not the toughest JRPG I've completed).

TO Knight of Lodis on the GBA is really solid as well, sure as heck beats the crap out of the FFTAdvance games.

On the flip side I haven't played the Ogre Battle titles myself though, but I hear great things about them. The original looks like a beast... complex as hell? People would tell me I'd have to read up on its card/elements system or something before even playing it, haha. And I haven't played the N64 game either, but have always heard good things. So yeah I assume it's pretty awesome too.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:33 pm 

Happy New Year M-A. :hyper: :headbang:

My Facebook was counting down the top 10 games of 2012 with a new post each day. Keep in mind I don't have every single console and didn't play every game so don't read too much into this as some kind of fair top 10 list. ;) Might as well share this with everyone here. I'll put the bulk of the post in spoiler tags to save space. They aren't actual game spoilers. I'll obviously censor out the full names of friends I mention. Now beings the copy paste....

The world didn't end? Of course not. Now go out there and play some fun games.

Each day we're counting down the top 10 must have games of 2012.

10. Dead or Alive 5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOMzQJLbQ6o

If you watch the trailer and don't fixate on the girls, you'll notice the most awesome thing. This game has characters from Virtua Fighter in it. That alone sold the game for me. Not only that, they play just like they do in Virtua Fighter with the same move sets and often same strategies. It may be a bit weird to see Akira's tetsuzanko so easily countered in the Dead or Alive 5, but still so fun to play the 3 guest Virtua Fighter characters.

This game also has a good solid story mode. And by good, I mean good by fighting game standards. Sure there's no touching cutscene with Ryu walking off into the sunset. Modern fighting games have stupid stories where everyone knows each other for some odd reason and there's some kind of criminal organization. This is no exception. The story is silly yes, but it's told with such vivid cutscenes and series continuity that you can't help but enjoy story mode.

Gameplay is simple for any novice to jump into. It's basically rock, paper scissors logic. If they're blocking or countering, then throw them. If they are attacking, block or counter. And if they are trying to throw you, hit them. This lets any newbie just jump in and enjoy some cinematic and cool fights. This also forces the master to memorize everyone's moves so they can play some intense mind games.

Online is loads of fun. You can jump into a lobby and text chat and watch others play while you wait in line just as you would an arcade in the old days. Talk trash or compliment everyone. You can even train online with another player although I never used it. There's casual and ranked matches. There's tag team or solo battles. There's quite a bit of fun to be had online playing against others.

Graphics are the most gorgeous I've seen in a fighting game to date. Animations are fluid, the backgrounds are stunning. And yes, they put in extra effort to make the girls look good. They take special care to put in subtle details. You can get dirt on your clothes and sweat. They just went all out making this game look good.

Basically, this game is a meaty fighter that offers you a full serving and you never have to ask for seconds. It'd be nice to see tournament modes like in Street Fighter or have a vault that unlocks concept art and other goodies like Mortal Kombat, but those two games are the reigning champs that just go all out. To be such a fun fighting game that nips on the heels of those two giants is quite an accomplishment. If you can even mildy tolerate a fighting game, you'll thoroughly enjoy Dead or Alive 5.

Top 10 Games of 2012:

9. Resident Evil 6

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7GE7EfDQI-E/U ... l-6-dc.jpg

So let's get the worst out of the way. This game tries poorly to be a military shooter at times. The controls suck in comparison to any of the others. Quick time events are riddled throughout the game. Push x to win or push o to not die. Yep you'll see lots of these instead of actually formulating strategies and techniques. The story is flat out stupid. Think of the story as a mindless summer blockbuster action movie.

Well.........how did this game make #9?

Playing with other people is just too much fun. There's also some creative ideas you really won't see anywhere else.

See however dumb the story is, it's told in the form of completing the game with 4 different characters: Leon, Chris, Jake, and Ada. Think of how the film Pulp Fiction was, where you saw things from the perspective of different people, but they all overlapped at times and altogether gave you the big picture. And that's how this game works.

Leon and Ada's story have some good horror moods with Ada's being the closest to true classic Resident Evil complete with puzzles. Chris's campaign is almost entirely a wanna be military shooter. Jake's campaign is sorta in the middle.

What made this game so much fun was playing Leon's story with me as Leon and Ryli**** as Helena. We carefully trudged through a cemetery and abandoned subway. We always had each other's back. If one of us was injured we healed the other. We complimented each other with an in-game thumbs up and a "Thanks!" We shot at and punched zombies together. Jake's campaign was also fun with me as Jake and her as Sherry. We were captured and trapped. She had to sneak out and find a password to open a door. While she was doing this, I was breaking into the security camera room and able to give her assistance by controlling turrets. When she found the password, I controlled a camera and zoomed in to see it myself. Then we both were able to escape with both of us working independently and together. And it's just fun coop like this that makes this game so enjoyable.

Not only is stuff like that really fun, but at the moments our story would overlap with anyone else playing a different campaign and we could have 4 people cooperating together.

Oh but there's more online integration. Other people can invade your game as additional zombies and monsters. So yeah, it's literally you and your friend against the whole world! And isn't that what a zombie outbreak should feel like?

Resident Evil is a successful franchise. So it's a shame Resident Evil 6 doesn't keep what made the earlier ones great. But it was very nice to see some of the interesting new ideas and angles. You sort of have to lower your standards to like this game cause it's not as good as its predecessors. So the best way to think of Resident Evil 6 is as a bad Resident Evil, but a good game. If this were a good Resident Evil game, it would've made top 3 certainly. But it's just a good game so it gets to be number 9.

8. Journey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57kDiPVQ9n0

This game is only several hours long. You don't have a health bar or enemies to fight. There is no challenge. Sound like a bad game?

Oh Journey is anything but. See it's not your usual game. The best way to describe it is interactive art.

You're a nameless pilgrim. All you can figure out from what little the game shows you is that you appear to be on a pilgrimage. So you wander off and explore. The music is absolutely beautiful and the landscapes are pure eye candy.

And it's multiplayer. But not like your usual game with lobbies and chat. You don't know who else you're playing with. The only cue that you're playing with another human is seeing another wanderer like yourself off in the distance making the same journey.

How do you talk to this person with no chat? All you have is one button to push that has your character emit a musical tone. Based on how long you hold the button or how rapidly you press it the tone changes.

So within the game what ends up happening is you find your own unique form of communication. I ran into a pilgrim who seemed like they wanted to explore and find secret areas in the game. So they sang a specific musical signal to me to signify they want me to follow. Then when we found a secret and the game awarded us a trophy I sang a musical "Thank you" Whether you play with a Japanese person, someone from Germany, or another American, within this game everyone speaks the same musical language.

By analogy, if other games are like a 2 week long vacation, Journey is that one special weekend that holds sentimental significance to you. I remember another time playing with someone and their player sat down in the shade after we had traversed a wide open space. Was it a 12 year old kid's mom having them do the dishes? Or maybe someone like me but they just needed a break? I don't know. From my end it just looked like the other pilgrim took time out to meditate and I pressed on.

After you finish the game, you can know who you played with as it shows their usernames during the credits. Then you can feel free to make a new friend.

For everyone who wants to point to violent videogames as a source of deviant activity where are all those people that will say Journey enriches us all and brings out the best in humanity? If you're stressed from a bad day, if people have pissed you off, play some Journey and just relax and smile. That's what this game does best.

IGN, a major media reviewer, names Journey as their Game of the Year. And while I only list it at number 8, I refuse to disagree with them.

7. Resident Evil Revelations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ahm7_ckRs

Resident Evil Revelations is what Resident Evil 6 should have been. Watch this video and tell me that isn't classic Resident Evil with modern graphics. There aren't any stupid quick time events in this game. It's a shame that the consoles couldn't get it right but a handheld version of Resident Evil hit the mark.

Being a portable game on the 3DS, Resident Evil is structured just right so that you can play the game, hopefully in the dark with headphones on, for 30 minutes - 1 hour each time. The game is broken up into episodes like a TV show. Each time you start the next episode, a narrator says "Previously on Resident Evil Revelations" and shows you clips.

Also adding to the portable appeal is raid mode. After you finish 3-4 episodes, those same areas open up in raid mode. Which is essentially the episodes you just played without any of the story and your goal is to rush through the area without dying and as fast as possible. This also supports multiplayer so you can play this mode online or with another person playing nearby on the 3DS.

Its only major flaw is the story isn't that great. Sure the suspense and beginning of the game is great. But after that, the rest of the game falls short storywise.

What makes this game superior to Resident Evil 6 is the blend of action and horror, which is what Resident Evil 6 tried to accomplish but failed at. Whenever you play episodes staring Jill, you're on this ghostly ship in a horror atmosphere. Chris's episodes are action packed with lots of monster killing. It's not that a Resident Evil game shouldn't have action. The action needs to be implemented in such a way that doesn't diminish the horror mood. Resident Evil Revelations accomplishes this.

This is the best Resident Evil to be released in nearly a decade and it makes number 7 in the top 10 games of 2012.

6. Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wIXXE59ZjE

Like some of the best Nintendo games, Zelda and Mario, Professor Layton has found its winning game formula. The professor must solve a mystery and in order to do so, you must solve puzzles in the game. Despite being so formulaic, each game is a gem because they are so vastly different. Each game has its own unique story and set of puzzles so holding true to the same formula doesn't diminish the creativity of each individual game.

Being a portable game, this is likely best played in the same manner one would play Angry Birds or Farmville, although Professor Layton is infinitely better in quality. You need to kill some time so why not solve a puzzle or two? What's your motivation for doing so? Well in order to progress through the story you have to solve puzzles the game throws at you. So you can kill 5 minutes at a time, but you always want to find a reason to come back to this game and mess around with it to see what happens next in the story.

The story in all Professor Layton games is akin to a 10-15 hour episode of Scooby Doo. There's a mystery, often supernatural in nature, and you solve it to see what's really going on. This one does seem to dwell more on Layton's past however, and offers a little more than the previous games. So it's nice to see some more character depth in the brilliant professor.

The puzzles range from being a simple brain teaser, to interactive mini-games, to that one nasty puzzle that racks your brain and bugs you all day until you have that "Aha!" moment of clarity. Want your kid's IQ to jump up 20 points and for them to get straight A's? OK well this game might not be able to do all that, but it'll help.

This game hones your critical thinking skills and is enriching. The 3D graphics are just gorgeous with a lovely soundtrack. The story is charming and the characters are memorable. You just can't go wrong with the number 6 game of 2012, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask.

5. Mass Effect 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7bE3hUwylQ

In order for Mass Effect 3 to make number 5, we have to include the free ending DLC that fixed the game's contradictory and nonsensical ending. Was the game rushed to meet deadlines? Was this corporate calling the shots? Who knows? But the game's conclusion had major flaws. Even prior to this, the game had faults. The new characters weren't interesting at all. James Vega was a joke compared to Wrex or Grunt. Cortez was pretty dull too. He certainly didn't act like someone grieving over his husband. Some of the dialog was stale. The final battle should've been much grander in scale.

Besides that, "Wow!" is all I can say about this game. The previous games propelled it and this game kept up the momentum. This trilogy takes the best of what makes Star Wars and Star Trek good and puts it into 3 games. You have intense action shooting scenes that are just loads of fun to play and provided a plethora of suspense. You have deep intellectual conversations with aliens and people from all over the galaxy and learn what makes us human. You have a story about all races and aliens banding together to stop the annihilation of all life.

The story, the game's highlight, the ability to choose multiple branching paths to decide the fate of everyone you ever met, was just top notch. The game had many touching and sad moments. Anyone who's played can confirm that the scene with Mordin Solus was......so powerful. When Tali first sets foot on......yeah you know. :(

"I think the real indicator [of gaming's success as an art form] will be when somebody confesses that they cried at level 17." ~ Steven Spielberg

If Spielberg is correct, then Mass Effect 3 is art. I know people who cried. It got me choked up at times. Mass Effect 3 offered you this emotional roller coaster beyond what most movies and TV offer. And while it had some major strikes against it, what made it good was just too good to not prevent this game from leaping up to number 5.

4. Dragon's Dogma

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ ... shot_6.jpg

Pictured is my ninja like character on the right and her pawn on the left. Feel free to borrow my awesome pawn who will always enchant your weapons, keep you healed, and be the best party support you can hope for.

See, one of the best things about Dragon's Dogma is the pawn system. After you make your main character, you make a pawn that follows you everywhere. You teach your pawn how you want it to behave. Do you want your pawn by your side to always defend you? Or are you just fine and want your pawn to go off gathering supplies? It's up to you to train your pawn. Dress up your pawn and give them whatever equipment you like them to have. Slavery is wrong in the real world but pretty fun in this game.

You can also borrow 2 other player's pawns from all over the world as your own pawn is available to be recruited in their games. And trading pawns is so much fun. I've seen who the perverts were with their nearly naked female pawns, who the creative artists are with their tiny little girl pawns sporting mowhawks, who is a hardcore player with pawns that have all the best equipment. It's also fun to rate pawns, give them little gifts, and send them on back to their masters.

What's the best aspect of Dragon's Dogma? Easily the combat. When you run across a cyclops you can do so as an archer and rain arrows upon it. Or you can be more precise and aim for its eye. You can set it ablaze with magic. Or sit back and watch the others fight as you heal your team. You could be an up close fighter and smash it with your war hammer. Climb up on the cyclops and stab it right in the eye all thanks to the grab mechanic.

The grab mechanic is perhaps one of the most fun new additions to this game. I can't tell you how many poor unfortunate pawns I lost cause I thought it was funny to pick them up and toss them off a cliff. I also went to jail for trying to throwing around guards and nobility. And I also grabbed a dragon as it tried to fly away, climbed up to its chest, and kept stabbing it in the heart. All this possible with one grab button.

The game has flaws. A recycled final dungeon map? Really? How lame. The environments in the game mostly just look like some standard medieval setting. There isn't anything jaw droppingly beautiful about the game's atmosphere. I also don't like how a really tough optional online boss is set up. Basically every time it's killed the reincarnated version is stronger. So unless you bought this game as soon as it came out, everyone online pretty much killed this boss so many times that it's nearly impossible to kill now. Best to fight this thing offline.

If all these flaws were addressed and you could cooperatively play with someone online and their pawn instead of just trading pawns, this game would be so cool and fun and up there with the best RPGs like Dark Souls. But being just extremely fun and addictive, number 4 isn't too shabby.

3. Borderlands 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-ldjgFHFII

This game just overflows with fun. I can't remember if any other game ever made me laugh. But this game made me laugh quite a bit. Whether it be jokes regarding pop culture references, some dark humor, or some silliness that just catches you off guard, this game has quite a bit of comedic value.

What about gameplay? Well this is essentially Diablo with guns, but with an interesting story, some fun first person shooting action, and its over the top ambition. Or you could call it a shorter, more light hearted, action packed Fallout. Either one would be accurate.

This is first person shooter but you have these special abilities like freezing someone in mid air or deploying a turret. There's tons of brightly colored and creative guns, and some of these guns shoot special bullets like fire, lightning, acid, and so on. You have these cool mods for your character or grenades for added effect. I find military shooters boring so it's like Borderlands tried to liven up the simple idea of shooting guns to make it more fun for me.

Playing online with random strangers provides quite a bit of fun mayhem. Or you could play with a buddy. I definitely enjoyed the times that I jumped in to help Anne ******* and her fella progress through the game. It's also fun to play solo and take your time exploring and looking around this beautiful, cell shaded, cartoonish world. You can also challenge other players in a duel which is quite fun. There are so many ways to enjoy playing this game.

There's a few flaws mostly dealing with multiplayer. Play with the wrong person and they could be greedy and grab all the good guns. Or they could be impatient and rush through each mission without letting you really enjoy what's going on. So many other games prevent one person from altering everyone's game so I don't see why Borderlands couldn't have taken these same measures.

Overall, this game has been nothing but fun. I have to confess that I did not finish it yet but I already like it more than Dragon's Dogma and it's possible that it might be better than the number 2 game, but from what I can tell I'm pretty sure number 2 is the better game. In all honestly, I could call this either the 2nd or 3rd best game of 2012 but for now the bronze medal will have to do.

2. Dishonored

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M71lxJY6Krw

This game I believe will be number 1 for a lot of others. This list is of course my own subjective taste so it's number 2 for me, but I can tell the appeal for Dishonored easily spans across so many different types of players so it'll appeal to so many people. Do you like Bioshock? How about Assassin's Creed? How about Metal Gear Solid? You'll like this game then.

You see, when they made Dishonored they did their homework. They know what people liked about Bioshock. They know why the gameplay of Metal Gear Solid was so fun. They know we like to root for the Assassin who takes out corrupt leaders. They gave this one game the appeal of so many highly rated and beloved games.

Set in a fictional city in the Industrial Era and in a world where occultic magic is very real and exists, this game already has a really cool atmosphere and mood. Oh did you know Daniel Licht composed this game's soundtrack? The one who made the theme for the TV show Dexter? He's amazing at making hauntingly beautiful soundtracks as you can tell from this youtube.

So how's this game play? Well this game is interesting in that it tailors itself to how you like to play. If you like to fight a lot you'll create a lot of corpses most likely. This will spread the plague. And now you have more swarms of rats that will attack you. The civilian walking about their business is now a crazed lunatic trying to attack you. This chaos causes more guards to be stationed. The game has consequences for killing and thus the game knows you like to fight so adds more fights and challenge.

You could also go through the entire game not killing a single person. So if your skills at playing games are at a loss, you can always rely on patience and sneak around. The game won't add on extra combat as you didn't create a lot of chaos by spreading the plague. It'll just add on the usual extra challenge as you progress while you continue to sneak and not kill.

I personally liked to sneak around and use my occultic magic, but if I saw a threat I wouldn't waste any time with an assassination. Play this game how you will though. The magic is really cool. Imagine freezing time when you're getting shot at and plucking bullets out of the air to reload your own pistol. Yep, you can do it. Or you can not use magic at all and go purely on your own steam since leveling up your magic will take some more time because you need to find runes. The point is, just about anyone can pick up this game and enjoy it and play it in their own way.

The only flaw to this game is that there wasn't enough of it and it would've been nice to see them go the extra mile with things like a better ending, more areas to explore, and to just give us a bigger and more ambitious game. Cause this game isn't as captivating as Bioshock. It's not quite as fun as Metal Gear Solid. And it's not Assassin's Creed in its prime. This game is a very skilled jack of all trades but still a master of none. And only a true masterpiece gets the number 1 spot. Nonetheless, for any game to be ranked higher than Dragon's Dogma is amazing. For a game to rank above Borderlands 2 is a miracle. For a game to be the 2nd best game in all of 2012 it has to be one of the best and Dishonored certainly is.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84Y95Uu6vng

For some of you this may not actually be the number 1 game of 2012. What I mean is that this game was released in North America in 2012. Japan and Europe got it much earlier. I guess we here in America liked our Mass Effects and Skyrim so Nintendo or Monolith Soft didn't think it would be marketable here in the States. But thanks to Operation Rainfall, a campaign by fans to get Xenoblade to the US, the petitions and pleas worked as America got a launch date for Xenoblade Chronicles. On April 6, 2012 America finally got to enjoy Xenoblade Chronicles.

And Nintendo and Monolith Soft could not be more right to do so. What a grand epic adventure this is. The size and scope of this game is mind boggling. Just about everything in this game was a delight from beginning to finish. But what made it so good?

If you have 10 minutes to spare click on that youtube and watch the video to get a sense of the amazing art design behind the game. At the very least open it in another window to listen to the best soundtrack in modern games. Never before have I seen game environments this lavish and gorgeous. You see, to enjoy what you see in Skyrim you can hike a trail in Montana or visit Europe and you'll see very similar scenery. What you have in Xenoblade is purely imaginative fantasy.

Not only is the art design creative, but the story has its own unique mythology. The opening cinematic shows two titans, the Bionis and Mechonis, clashing in battle. Make no mistake, when I say titans I mean these things are gigantic. Imagine California standing up and fighting Japan in the Pacific Ocean. That's how big these things appear to be. So the Bionis and Mechonis both deliver a simultaneous fatal blow to each other and fall.

On the Bionis, life begins to sprout and grow until you eventually get to the point that you see the main character and his buddies. And so this game is a story about the battle of these two titans. It's also a story about the worlds that were formed on their bodies. It's also a story about a young man with promise and potential who sets forth on an adventure with his friends. It's a story about the people he meets and how his friends also change and grow. And it's a story about............well I can't quite say because the very end of the game turns everything you knew on its heels and shocks you. The story has so many wonderful twists and turns and then when I got to the very final part I couldn't believe what was just happening.

The gameplay is what you'd expect from a JRPG. In the middle of battle, you choose if you want to fight, use special attacks, and magic. The CPU controls the other 2 characters and you can control 1 character of your choice and issue commands. It helps to coordinate with the friendly AI to deliver some good combos. You craft gems to add extra abilities and boost your stats, level up your characters to learn new skills, and you can also have characters learn some of each other's abilities if their affinity is high enough.

This game is just massive with so much to explore, with each area being so unique and gorgeous. Remember I said about the size of California? Yep you got an idea how big this game is. With day/night and weather cycles and wildlife and monsters populating the Bionis, this game just comes alive. Add to the landscape music that fits every single mood of the game and your senses couldn't be happier.

One problem with this game is that it wasn't intended for release in America. So what we get is some bad voice acting. Would've been nice to have Patrick Stewart voice Dunban or something. I didn't mind it as it reminded me of the charm of a badly dubbed anime. If this is the type of thing to bug you, switch it to Japanese with subtitles to get better voice acting.

Also, this game is just too ambitious that it couldn't quite measure up in some ways. A game like Borderlands 2 or Dishonored can have subquests that flow with the story. You'll see very little of that here. Subquests in Xenoblade Chronicles are a good way to get additional experience and items and be fun little challenges and that's it. It would've been nice if they were more than "Kill this" or "Find this" missions.

Another issue is that this game is not for everyone. This is going to be a hardcore RPG that demands your time and attention. For anyone who misses when Final Fantasy games used to be good and is willing to make the investment of time and dedication, this game will give you back so much in return.

With the Wii's life rounding down as the Wii U emerges, with 2012 coming to an end as 2013 is just around the corner, it is perhaps fitting that the the best game of 2012 be a Wii game. If you got the Wii U, do play this game in upscaled HD. One of the best RPGs to ever come from Japan, quite possibly the best game on the Wii, and the best game of 2012 is Xenoblade Chronicles.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 464, 465, 466, 467, 468, 469, 470 ... 940  Next