Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:50 am 

What's wrong with being a hardcore band?

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:08 am 

Why is the band Molllust blacklisted? I think a track like "Alptraum" is "metal" enough:

http://www.molllust.de/musik/

I've got the same question for Caladan Brood. You can listen to their stuff on here. Yes, it's more epic than metal but there are still enough black metal passages in my opinion.

http://www.facebook.com/caladanbroodofficial

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:06 am 

kluseba wrote:
I think a track like "Alptraum" is "metal" enough

What about the other tracks? One "metal" track does not make a metal band.
How do you define "metal"? Anything with distorted guitars? It sounds like rock music to me.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:07 am 

Opus wrote:
kluseba wrote:
I think a track like "Alptraum" is "metal" enough

What about the other tracks? One "metal" track does not make a metal band.
How do you define "metal"? Anything with distorted guitars? It sounds like rock music to me.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76277

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:47 pm 

I just listened to this Symphonic Metal song taken from a metal music compilation by an Extreme Metal magazine ("Legacy"), wanted to get some information about it on the MA and was surprised to see the band blacklisted. The guys from that magazine all seem to think it's metal and not simply rock music. MA seems to have inside informations about this brand new band and doesn't agree which is curious. Either the guys from the magazine or the one on MA has misjudged the band and that's why I wanted to get some opinions.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:53 pm 

You know what's incredibly helpful? When you don't tell us what band you're talking about. And inside information? Wha??
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:59 pm 

oogboog wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76277

Holy shit, coming from you, this is gold. Shut the fuck up. Opus was right, anyway.

BastardHead wrote:
You know what's incredibly helpful? When you don't tell us what band you're talking about. And inside information? Wha??
I think he's still talking about Molllust, which indeed was limp-wristed opera rock. I don't care what some magazine said, we heard several samples on youtube and it wasn't predominantly metal. "inside informations", lol... -_-

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:07 pm 

kluseba wrote:
I've got the same question for Caladan Brood. You can listen to their stuff on here. Yes, it's more epic than metal but there are still enough black metal passages in my opinion.

http://www.facebook.com/caladanbroodofficial

The album is not out yet. It's scheduled for early next year. I assume it had to be blacklisted because people kept submitting it.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:12 pm 

I answered a question about Caladan Brood recently, please use 30 seconds of your time and search for the answers before asking.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

UnblackDeath77
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:51 am 

Opus wrote:

Nothing is wrong with it, but I think it might be why Zao isn't allowed into the archives.

ViolentWind
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:52 am 

hi
can you tel me how to upload a band's photocopy of their released CD or tape, because some of my bands have been rejected without proof of their releases and metalness..............please anyone help me out and reply as soon as possible.. :( :( :grumble: :scratch: :scratch:

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:28 am 

You can upload pictures on sites like imageshack and then post the link to those pictures here or in the submission notes.
If the band has songs on youtube you can post those links as well else you might want to upload the songs to a cloudservice where you can share it with others.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:31 am 

UnblackDeath77 wrote:
Opus wrote:

Nothing is wrong with it, but I think it might be why Zao isn't allowed into the archives.

Nothing is wrong with being a hardcore band, but why would you thing such a hardcore band belongs on a metal archive?

UnblackDeath77
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:51 pm 

Zao is now a metalcore band and a very early one at that. They became part of that scene before it became a crapfest. As I said, if As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage and All That Remains can be on the website, Zao should definitely be.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:23 pm 

As we have said before, comparing band N with bands X, Y, and Z won't help band N to be accepted if said band doesn't cut it. Period.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:31 pm 

Do you know how hard that rule is to understand by people who don't want to understand it? ;)

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:34 pm 

Yeah, I know, dude. Pity.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

UnblackDeath77
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:52 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
As we have said before, comparing band N with bands X, Y, and Z won't help band N to be accepted if said band doesn't cut it. Period.

So with the examples I have shown, the band doesn't sound metal by any means? I'm comparing because they are in the same genre and have similarities.

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:25 pm 

UnblackDeath77 wrote:
So with the examples I have shown, the band doesn't sound metal by any means? I'm comparing because they are in the same genre and have similarities.

I did not bother to listen to the band. It was previously mentioned as a hardcore band by another moderator, and I trust blindly in our team. I was solely stressing the fact that comparing the band you are talking about with other bands in here will not get it accepted. Pointing it out to you so you wouldn't waste time using that argument.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:43 pm 

UnblackDeath77 wrote:
I'm comparing because they are in the same genre and have similarities.

The reason why the "compare band X with band Y" thing never works (aside from the fact bands are assessed individually) is that it's all too easy to compare the non-metallic elements of an unacceptable band with those of an accepted band. E.g., Meshuggah's later stuff obviously wouldn't be considered metallic enough for the Metal Archives, but they're here because their seminal albums were thrash metal. After they spawned the "djent" cancer, other bands like Periphery and Vildhjarta followed suite and now play a style many fans consider to be pioneered by Meshuggah.

So can you see now why we ignore people who point fingers and ask "But you accepted Meshuggah, why not Periphery?!"...? :p

Also, it's a similar principle for djent as it is for metalcore. Metalcore is, by definition, an amalgamation of metal and hardcore - so it can mean metallic hardcore, or metal with hardcore influences. Bear in mind we only accept the latter.

UnblackDeath77
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:56 pm 

Alhadis wrote:
UnblackDeath77 wrote:
I'm comparing because they are in the same genre and have similarities.

The reason why the "compare band X with band Y" thing never works (aside from the fact bands are assessed individually) is that it's all too easy to compare the non-metallic elements of an unacceptable band with those of an accepted band. E.g., Meshuggah's later stuff obviously wouldn't be considered metallic enough for the Metal Archives, but they're here because their seminal albums were thrash metal. After they spawned the "djent" cancer, other bands like Periphery and Vildhjarta followed suite and now play a style many fans consider to be pioneered by Meshuggah.

So can you see now why we ignore people who point fingers and ask "But you accepted Meshuggah, why not Periphery?!"...? :p

Also, it's a similar principle for djent as it is for metalcore. Metalcore is, by definition, an amalgamation of metal and hardcore - so it can mean metallic hardcore, or metal with hardcore influences. Bear in mind we only accept the latter.

But they are definitely metal with hardcore influences. The admins are here also admit that they DO make mistakes. There is no sense in being blissfully ignorant. All I ask is for opinions on their style from 98' on up.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:06 pm 

Quote:
All I ask is for opinions on their style from 98' on up.

So you want my opinion on this? I still say it's predominantly hardcore. Yes it's borderline metallic, but bear in mind we're not going to accept a band who starts off unmetallic and then later weans its way into a more metal direction based on a few "iffy" releases. Bands like Soulfly were only accepted based on something as drastically different from their usual formula as this, because albums leading up to that still held too many similarities to the style they were known (and blacklisted) for.

UnblackDeath77
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:15 pm 

Alhadis wrote:
Quote:
All I ask is for opinions on their style from 98' on up.

So you want my opinion on this? I still say it's predominantly hardcore. Yes it's borderline metallic, but bear in mind we're not going to accept a band who starts off unmetallic and then later weans its way into a more metal direction based on a few "iffy" releases. Bands like Soulfly were only accepted based on something as drastically different from their usual formula as this, because albums leading up to that still held too many similarities to the style they were known (and blacklisted) for.

Well at least you considered it. I guess I could see where you're coming from.

ViolentWind
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:35 am 

Thanx Rob1, i owe you alot :hyper: :headbang:

ViolentWind
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:08 am 

HELLO.......
Does anyone of you have any IDEA about the Ragnarock Festival 2004 and so on till 2010, I mean where can we get those DVDs of full concert, they're not provided in any site for purchasing......I've been looking for two, three years, and now I'm so desperate......pleases anyone having any idea, reply ASAP and tell me what to DOOOoo.......... :scratch: :cry: :( :brick:

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:10 am 

What the hell...

Dude, try one of these forums. This is a thread for appealing about rejected/blacklisted bands, not asking for missing releases. Image
viewforum.php?f=1
viewforum.php?f=6
viewforum.php?f=19

ViolentWind
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:21 am 

i know that its about rejected bands etc etc, but i was wondering if i could get some answers from here, so was just crying for some help... :argue: :thumbsup: :beer:

ViolentWind
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:32 am 

METALCORE, HARDCORE, & NU METAL should be banned in this planet....... :tongue: :lol: :evil: :finger: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :-D

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:36 am 

ViolentWind, don't post if you don't have anything worthwhile to say. The thread title is quite clear as to what this is about. Thanks.

ViolentWind
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:23 am 

got it, azmodes :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :beer: :)

Sedomza
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:09 pm 

The band wasn't rejected or something else but is in the queue since 14th of december now: Leben.
I have added all informations about their first full-length which was released this month by the band itself on tape, I added much proof-photos, links to samples, links to sources etc etc.

What exactly is the problem with that?

Thank you.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:58 pm 

Sedomza wrote:
The band wasn't rejected or something else but is in the queue since 14th of december now: Leben.
I have added all informations about their first full-length which was released this month by the band itself on tape, I added much proof-photos, links to samples, links to sources etc etc.

Thank you.

Because everything about your "proofs" look fake as shit?

Also, this: http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/409313

Fuck off.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Sedomza
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:39 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Sedomza wrote:

Thank you.

Because everything about your "proofs" look fake as shit?

Also, this: http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/409313

Fuck off.

Come on, please. Where is the gentleman?

You don't really think that this is a fake? The tape is physically released and I gave you proof photos of the tapes. I cannot understand why someone now think that this is a fake. Why I should do this?! ^^ Leben released their first album on tape this december and the whole shit will be released later on vinyl. But the album is already released on 21 tapes. If you think I print just for fun tape cover on exclusive paper and make pictures of this I can't really understand yoir point of view. You can ask also the label that helped for the tapes: [email protected]

Another sample is also on youtube: tip in " Leben - II (Sample)

And there are various people around whose already own this cassette.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:07 pm 

Because that tape picture is easy as hell to fake, and because you lied about "some guy" buying that tape when that guy was clearly you, so now that you're a proven liar we can't take anything you say at face value.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:56 am 

For the recently rejected "Scab" submission:

1. Releases
Gross Infection - 1994
Return to the Black - 1995
Feast of Souls - 1995

2. Metalness

https://soundcloud.com/iron1/scab-in-si ... d-in-death
https://soundcloud.com/iron1/scab-despair

3. Evidence

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a55 ... ca091b.jpg

Dr_Keloid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:30 am 

Sedomza wrote:
Where is the gentleman?

Why are you asking her?

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:05 am 

Morrigan being a gentleman should need some extensive surgery I guess! ;)

Pr0nogo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:29 pm 

I'm sure Cattle Decapitation will be more than happy to offer her the operation - gratis, even!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:35 pm 

I'm sure she will be more than be pleased to read these comments, gentlemen. If you have nothing to say, just don't post, ok?

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

ViolentWind
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:44 am 

hi....
why were my bands rejected, when i have submitted the photocopies of their CDs and tapes as well as sound samples taken from you-tube and myspace................please tell me what else to include in the submission notes.... :( :scratch: :brick: :brick: :annoyed: :annoyed:

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179 ... 541  Next