Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:55 pm 

Here's how I'd rank MA's albums.

Domination
Formulas
Altars
Covenant
Gateways
Blessed
Heretic
Illud

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:04 pm 

Mr. Prometheus J., after your Illud review update I would have guessed it would be a little higher.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:22 pm 

I will cosign on Gateways sounding massive but none of their albums after Altars can compare to the riffs on that thing. Sure there are some killer ones spanning the rest of their discography... Covenant has some naaaaaaasty ones... Rapture, Pain Divine, and Angel of Disease in particular... but Altars man... fuckin' Altars. That main riff on Bleed For the Devil is too good.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:27 pm 

Altars of Madness rules. Great album to drink to. It is my third favourite Morbid Angel album. Fourth if you count Abominations of Desolation as a full-length.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:28 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
Mr. Prometheus J., after your Illud review update I would have guessed it would be a little higher.

Oh I do find it entertainingly stupid, and in truth it isn't a complete abomination of reality like many people call it (Lulu proved that indeed there was worse shit in 2011), but in the grand scheme of things it is the worst album MA have released.

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:31 pm 

Entertainingly stupid might just be the best descriptor for it I have ever read or heard ever for it.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:32 pm 

Subrick wrote:
(Lulu proved that indeed there was worse shit in 2011)

+1

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:32 pm 

It may be of interest to you guys to know the quote in my signature is from Prince Philip.

Quote:
“Where’s the Southern Comfort?” When presented with a hamper of goods by US ambassador, 1999.

Prince Philip quotes: Relive 90 classic gaffes to mark his 90th birthday

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:36 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Subrick wrote:
(Lulu proved that indeed there was worse shit in 2011)

+1

Yeah, Lulu was without a doubt the absolute worst piece of shit I've ever heard. There was NOTHING redeeming about that album.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:00 pm 

Indeed. Absolute pain. Made even worse by the fact that it isn't a troll album.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:16 pm 

I think part of the problem people have with Lulu is Reed and Metallica acting like children when defending it. While it's natural to be protective of your work, Reed calling people who don't like it illiterate and James saying that only basement dwellers hated it is laughable.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:20 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Like An Ever Flowing Stream seems to be the Swedeath album that appeals to people who don't like Swedeath, all that much. It's a great album, sure, but I prefer Left Hand Path (which, tellingly, was my first death metal album). I actually played it last night and still enjoy it just as much.

What? I like swedeath a lot. Sorcery, Unleashed, At the Gates, Merciless, Megaslaughter, Excruciate, Crypt of Kerberos, etc. etc. Left Hand Path seems to be the Swedeath album that appeals to people who got it when they were new to death metal now view it through nostalgia goggles. ;)

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:21 pm 

WaywardSon wrote:
While it's natural to be protective of your work, Reed calling people who don't like it illiterate and James saying that only basement dwellers hated it is laughable.

Earth, the funny little rock with 6.97 billion basement dwellers and a handful loonies running around naked and covered in their own feces.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:29 pm 

True, I'd rather listen to Lulu than wear my own feces.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:39 pm 

It's not even that, although that is really stupid of them. The album gave me a migraine headache while I was listening to it. I was doing a live play-by-play of it on Facebook, and near the middle of the 2nd disc I just started going "WHY WON'T THIS ALBUM FUCKING END?!?" over and over again. It was complete and utter agony to listen to.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:49 pm 

Altars, Covenant, Altars, Altars, Covenant, Altars... where's the love for Blessed Are The Sick? For me, that album remains the eldritch disjointed pinnacle of MA.

And with that preference on the table, it should be no surprise I'll take Immolation over Incantation any day. But probably The Chasm over either of them. Farseeing... is just about the perfect death metal album.

Now, if Gorguts got off their asses and wrote more material, they could be contenders. As it is, though, while I absolutely love Obscura and FWtH, they are the only albums I can really get behind.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:53 pm 

Blessed is great, but there was something about it that just felt off for me. It didn't have that same effect that all the albums around it did.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:15 pm 

I have a habit of ignoring releases without a good reason to expect good music on them. I remain blissfully unaware of exactly how bad all the Lulus and Illuds and the newest Satyricons and Napalm Deaths are. My curiosity for new releases approaches zero as long as it is neither the follow-up to a noteworthy release nor already critically acclaimed. That's because I'm pretty much convinced that the law of entropy can be applied to musical releases: As a general rule any given album has a higher chance of being crap than its predecessor.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:24 pm 

Gorguts is great enjoy everything they have done except the FWtH which doesn't click with me. Erosion of Sanity is great haven';t listened to that in a minute.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:39 pm 

As much as I love my classics, some of the new crop of death metal bands of late have unleashed some truly astonishing material, firmly placing them up on same level as the Old Ones. Two in particular that immediately spring to mind are Binah and (of course, for me) Manipulator. Hallucinating In Resurrecture is a definite highlight from this year with it's dark, burly and menacing persona - and the accomplished display of damn good song writing. The exact same praise goes for Manipulator.

My collection

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:41 pm 

Whenever someone brings up excellent modern death metal, I immediately will bring up Lago. Excellent, excellent, excellent band from Arizona.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:45 pm 

The only modern death metal I've been able to get into is really weird/murky stuff like Portal, Mitochondrion and Flourishing. Deathevokation is awesome and I like the whole Quebechnical thing. But as a whole, I like old school death metal way better than what is generally coming out today.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:19 pm 

I don't really care for old school death metal very much. To me, it feels like trying to sound old school is a bit bizarre. I don't see how taking something that's already been done, and trying as hard as possible to do it again makes any sense. As opposed to the bands of yesteryear, who were just creating their own sound. That's what made them great and timeless. I haven't heard any new OSDM bands that even sound interesting. Perhaps horrendous - the chills sounds okay. It just leaves me wanting to listen to gorement, rottrevore, morpheus descends, detriorate, demilich etc. There are still some old school death metal bands putting out great album. Case in point: The chasm. All their stuff sounds cool.

I'm saving up 100 dollars to buy the first press of rottrevore's iniquitious. I'll have to get lucky to get it for that price I imagine.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:30 pm 

I don't understand why everyone loves this year's Horrendous album so much. It just sounded like middle of the road type stuff to me. I didn't dislike it or anything, but it didn't do anything more for me than the next death metal album.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:38 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
I don't really care for old school death metal very much. To me, it feels like trying to sound old school is a bit bizarre. I don't see how taking something that's already been done, and trying as hard as possible to do it again makes any sense. As opposed to the bands of yesteryear blah blah blah...

Yeah, you're right. Best leave all these really awesome new albums from really awesome new bands well alone. It's all been done before right? So why bother playing something that's truly excellent, that you really like? Good, heavy, (modern) filthy, nasty death metal blows...

My collection

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:45 pm 

I must say, disma's towards the megalith (although it isn't a 2012 album) was a special album. Compared to other bands, it had characteristics that set it apart from other death metal acts. when an album is so good, that I try to find albums to compare it to, and don't succeed, it becomes special to me. Not to mention it was really frickin good.

CrushedRevelation wrote:
metaldiscussor666 wrote:
I don't really care for old school death metal very much. To me, it feels like trying to sound old school is a bit bizarre. I don't see how taking something that's already been done, and trying as hard as possible to do it again makes any sense. As opposed to the bands of yesteryear blah blah blah...

Yeah, you're right. Best leave all these really awesome new albums from really awesome new bands well alone. It's all been done before right? So why bother playing something that's truly excellent, that you really like? Good, heavy, (modern) filthy, nasty death metal blows...

It may not be a problem for you. Besides your point, I don't know what new albums and new bands you're referring to. Not to mention I already mentioned why I don't like the concept of trying to recreate something that's already been created. However, I do stand behind bands like disma and the chasm. I'd classify disma as good, heavy, (modern) filthy and nasty. I think if I tried I could name a few more modern OSDM bands I like. I think for the most part I don't care for modern death metal/ my opinion

Last edited by metaldiscussor666 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:03 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Whenever someone brings up excellent modern death metal, I immediately will bring up Lago. Excellent, excellent, excellent band from Arizona.

:thumbsup:

Will be hunting for a physical copy of these guys now. Pretty damn good stuff, cheers!

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
It may not be a problem for you. Besides your point, I don't know what new albums and new bands you're referring to. Not to mention I already mentioned why I don't like the concept of trying to recreate something that's already been created. However, I do stand behind bands like disma and the chasm. I'd classify disma as good, heavy, (modern) filthy and nasty. I think if I tried I could name a few more modern bands I like. I think for the most part I don't care for modern death metal/ my opinion

Fair enough, maybe you're not digging deep enough? But I still believe this is fairly blinkered viewpoint. Instantly dismissing a band because they may sound like band x or band y (despite the fact the band in question may be outstanding on their own) that preceded them just seems narrow-minded, and being trendy by anti-trending. It's a lot easier for people to write bands off calling them "copycats" or what have you, than give them (due) credit for creating something truly devastating, is the way I see it. Some call it unoriginal, I call it homage to the genre they adore.

My collection

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:51 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Subrick wrote:

:thumbsup:

Will be hunting for a physical copy of these guys now. Pretty damn good stuff, cheers!

http://lagometal.bigcartel.com/

Here they sell their EP, along with shirts and a coffee mug. There's also Bandcamp for the demo they just put out.

http://lagometal.bandcamp.com/

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:57 pm 

Thanks mate! Will probably get the bundle as it's so cheap.

My collection

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:30 pm 

Speaking of good contemporary death metal, Desecresy's The Doom Skeptron kicks much, much ass. And Slugathor's Echoes from Beneath is likely my favorite death metal album to date.

Re: Manipulator: Voidbound is excellent, I only wish they didn't have such a rankling habit of ending tracks on fadeouts instead of writing actual endings. Far too many of their tracks build up to what could be really intense conclusions and then just sort of pitter off. Disappointing, but still great death metal regardless.

Never did get into Morbid Angel, but eh...I guess it's worth another try. Have to say I like Left Hand Path more than Like an Ever Flowing Stream, but not too big on either of them in a relative sense.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:32 pm 

Damn I'm high and listening to ambient and can't even find some decent HD footage of arctic landscapes on pootube to complete the experience.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:37 pm 

Fuckin' Desecresy... I have only sampled some tracks from The Doom Skeptron (thank you Starmere) on youtube, and it was certainly enough for me to buy the album. Crushing, amazing death metal right here. Exactly the kind of thing I'm hailing.

My collection

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:50 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Damn I'm high and listening to ambient

You mean Portishead? :P Seriously, though, if you try and track down Thomas Köner's Nuuk DVD album I think it should satisfy both your needs simultaneously. Hopefully you can find a torrent or something before the hash wears off.

@CrushedRevelation :hail: !!!! What a great album. My only gripe with it is that the writing/execution formula from track to track feels a bit too consistent/samey (I wish they'd used those reaching leads a bit more selectively), but whatever, it works in that Bolt Thrower sort of way. Unrelenting quality from beginning to end, sacrificing variety but ensuring satisfaction. Thankfully the writing starts to evolve more towards the end of the album, ending with the fantastically engaging "Vortex Unwinding." A dominating and truly impressive piece of death metal. Comparing it to Echoes from Beneath, though, I do appreciate the greater variety of writing on the latter.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:06 pm 

On the subject of Left Hand Path vs. Like an Ever Flowing Stream, as excellent as the latter is, the former is one of my absolute favorite records ever. Both records are amazing, but LHP is just *that* bit more amazing.

Also, to speak of more Swedish death, Epitome of Darkness by Repugnant. I LOVE this album. I very highly recommend it to anyone that hasn't heard it yet.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:18 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Hopefully you can find a torrent or something before the hash wears off.

I see what you did there ^^

I doubt I'll find a link for that, but it occurred to me to check vimeo. There are tons of that stuff there. Gonna check out that Nuuk album if I can find it too. I was listening to Substrata by Biosphere but the idea to watch some vids didn't come until it was almost over.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:42 pm 

A few days ago, I posted a picture in this thread of a tshirt I had made for a girl I'm talking to. Well, we had a bit of a date today. We got coffee, caught up, and got to know each other more. Things were going pretty goddamn smooth... and then her grandma died. I took her to the hospital to see her dying grandmother foolishly hoping we would meet up again this evening... no. She came out crying, I hugged her, and gave her the stupid fucking shirt. She said "that definitely made ky day a lot better" and I left- only to get lost in Cleveland with no GPS, no map, and a dead phone battery.

I'm in no way suggesting the death of her grandmother is funny, but FUCK the way my luck is these days.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:58 pm 

Got this email:
Quote:
Subject: I'm Not a Fucking BOT!!!!
Body:
What the hell do y'all want from me? Your registration page really blows nuts. I love your site, but damn! No Between the Buried and Me? No iwrestledabearonce? No Dillinger Escape Plan? Oh, but goth rock is OK??!!?!? Thank you.

I was just thinking, I don't want someone like this on my site. My anti-bot registration question is perfect for weeding them out. The system works! :nods:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:44 am 

bassistneededlolnot wrote:
A few days ago, I posted a picture in this thread of a tshirt I had made for a girl I'm talking to. Well, we had a bit of a date today. We got coffee, caught up, and got to know each other more. Things were going pretty goddamn smooth... and then her grandma died. I took her to the hospital to see her dying grandmother foolishly hoping we would meet up again this evening... no. She came out crying, I hugged her, and gave her the stupid fucking shirt. She said "that definitely made ky day a lot better" and I left- only to get lost in Cleveland with no GPS, no map, and a dead phone battery.

I'm in no way suggesting the death of her grandmother is funny, but FUCK the way my luck is these days.

I was about to make a joke about how it was a strangely convenient set up for her grandmother to die so you could give her the T-shirt and cheer her up (that is, suggesting that you murdered the old lady), but then I remembered that I'm not an asshole.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:52 am 

Subrick wrote:
http://lagometal.bigcartel.com/

Here they sell their EP, along with shirts and a coffee mug. There's also Bandcamp for the demo they just put out.

http://lagometal.bandcamp.com/

Good shit here, guess it's worth reading your ten zillion posts a day on the chance you'll namedrop something awesome :p
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:06 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
bassistneededlolnot wrote:

I was about to make a joke about how it was a strangely convenient set up for her grandmother to die so you could give her the T-shirt and cheer her up (that is, suggesting that you murdered the old lady), but then I remembered that I'm not an asshole.

Haha you're not an asshole for joking about it. In fact, me and the girl were both kinda laughing about the irony that this happened like 30 minutes after we just met up. Every single time I try to get with a girl some fucked up shit ruins it. I don't care. Its just comical anymore. I mean I almost opened my mouth to say "Have fun!" before she went into the hospital but, thankfully, I refrained. Not that I was trying to be an inconsiderate dick because I figured she would have giggled, lol. I just wish people could understand that tragic things can sometimes in a way be funny.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 735, 736, 737, 738, 739, 740, 741 ... 827  Next